As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You don't really need to worry about keeping them brightly coloured (though it is a Borderlands 2 thing so it's not like it'd matter if they were bright orange or whatever, lol). As long as they're deactivated you're good.

Good to know. Ya since it is borderlands I thought brightly colored and outrageous would fit well.

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Deactivated an unable to fire nerf is totally ok. Expect to be checked.

• LunchboxV3LunchboxV3 Mechanical Maniac Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    Man, passes sold out. I was asleep damnit. Nevermind on that "see you at PAX, programs" thing.

axemblack.gifaxemyellow.gifaxemred.gifaxempink.gifaxemgreen.gif
  • UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    My gf is planning on going as "the sprinkling" from Viva Pinata xD Any advice on making it is always appreciated, and of course if there are others dressing as something from the game lemme know.

Personally, I'm doing my first cosplay as Ness this year. Have a friend that is gonna be Lucas and a possible 3rd person might be taking Paula (not sure yet). If anyone else is planning on going as something Mother/Earthbound definitely say so and we can meetup for some photos :)

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • (DN)Bow Master(DN)Bow Master Registered User regular
    I'll most likely go as Male Black Rock Shooter on a friday since sat badges are sold out :(

• Sn1122Sn1122 Registered User regular
    Planning on going as GLADos again this year. Maybe we could have a Portal group together? Anyone interested?

• EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    So I've started working on a Guqin Sona costume. I'm a decent seamstress so the dress, while an interesting challenge, doesn't worry me. However, this is going to be my first time at a major prop like that. Anyone have any advice on building materials?

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to suggest something like
    Anyone have any advice on building materials?

Perhaps a lightweight foam base? The issue with that might be transporting it, though.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Anyone know how or where to find out how to make a Umbreon cosplay for cheap yet still look good?

I have 2 other cosplays that i have but they are more anime then game.Even though they do have games out for them.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    Anyone know how or where to find out how to make a Umbreon cosplay for cheap yet still look good?
    What sort of costume are you looking for? Full-body mascot? Realistic? Anthromorphic? Casual/"I'm wearing the ears + tail?" The cost varies wildly depending on what end product you want out of it.
    Rarely can 'cheap' and 'good' go together well. It's more like you can get creative and smart to make a decent costume on a budget.

PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
    edited May 2012
    Atashi wrote: »
    What sort of costume are you looking for? Full-body mascot? Realistic? Anthromorphic? Casual/"I'm wearing the ears + tail?" The cost varies wildly depending on what end product you want out of it.
    Rarely can 'cheap' and 'good' go together well. It's more like you can get creative and smart to make a decent costume on a budget.

Well i would LOVE to do a Mascot one but i cannot afford that maybe next year when im more prepared.But i want a little more then just "i'm wearing the ears an Tail.So i'm not sure between the realistic one and the Anthromorphic one.Probably a bit more anthromorphic ish.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Idk how good you'll be able to make umbreon look. It's that easily recognized, especially when a person is trying to represent it.
    For sona, bring a real guqin.
    <helpful person

edited May 2012
    Yeah i know.Hmmm.I just want it to be simple i guess and not look terrrible. Or should i go with one of my other 2 cosplays and just be different.?They are Yachiru From bleach and Itachi from naruto.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • garbagekeepergarbagekeeper Registered User new member
    I'm planning to go as Morokei the Dragon Priest from Skyrim and my brother as a Stormcloak Guard from the same game. Was planning to drag a friend along as a Draugr Deathlord, but I'm really doubting he got his tickets in time 8"D. Woo, glad I got our tickets in time D':

edited May 2012
    NEW QUESTION I GUESS Need ADVICE

Sense im low on money and having to save for my room and food and bus travel. And am UNSURE about my Umbreon cosplay.I was wondering if i should just be a weirdo and Cosplay as either

Yachiru from bleach
    OR
    Itachi from Naruto

each have their own game but idk.Just doesn't seem the same.

Already have those two cosplays.

And idk but i just like to be dressed up when i go to things like these.

and everytime i almost get advice on what to do idk..people go pooof makes me sad.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Sense im low on money and having to save for my room and food and bus travel. And am UNSURE about my Umbreon cosplay.I was wondering if i should just be a weirdo and Cosplay as either

Yachiru from bleach
    OR
    Itachi from Naruto

and everytime i almost get advice on what to do idk..people go pooof makes me sad.

You don't absolutely have to cosplay to the con. If it seems like beyond your resources and skills to pull off something satisfactory, why not go as a normal person and enjoy the con for what it is instead of worrying and running around in a half-baked costume? I know I would be a lot less stressed if I didn't cosplay to conventions.

There are also roughly 4 months left before the con--it should be plenty of time to save up some cash and plan/get a costume together, provided that you're not aiming for full-body armor and unlimited props works.

Atashi on
    PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
    Atashi wrote: »

Yachiru from bleach
    OR
    Itachi from Naruto

You don't absolutely have to cosplay to the con. If it seems like beyond your resources and skills to pull off something satisfactory, why not go as a normal person and enjoy the con for what it is instead of worrying and running around in a half-baked costume? I know I would be a lot less stressed if I didn't cosplay to conventions.

There are also roughly 4 months left before the con--it should be plenty of time to save up some cash and plan/get a costume together, provided that you're not aiming for full-body armor and unlimited props works.

well i have a perfect cosplay it's just not a game cosplay i dont think.I mean BLeach has a game out but yeah lol. I like cosplaying though.Its fun for me i guess.

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Don't feel bad about cosplaying something that's not from a game. Do whatever is going to be fun for you! My main costume isn't going to even be after a character; I'm just going for steampunk, because.. why not?! :) Though I am thinking about doing Parasoul from Skullgirls just to have something else to wear that isn't quite so elaborate/heavy.
    But i want a little more then just "i'm wearing the ears an Tail.So i'm not sure between the realistic one and the Anthromorphic one.Probably a bit more anthromorphic ish.

Completely random thought about your Umbreon cosplay, and I don't know how feasible this would be, but what about something along the lines of what the Tron cosplayers do with the light strips? With red goggles or sunglasses? (from you avatar it just looked like the yellow stripes should be glowing... but I'm not familiar with the character.)

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    You can cosplay from anything :) I've done a lot so far on my Fiora Cavazza from AC: Brotherhood. I'll post pics when I can!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    Saldek wrote: »
    Don't feel bad about cosplaying something that's not from a game. Do whatever is going to be fun for you! My main costume isn't going to even be after a character; I'm just going for steampunk, because.. why not?! :) Though I am thinking about doing Parasoul from Skullgirls just to have something else to wear that isn't quite so elaborate/heavy.
    But i want a little more then just "i'm wearing the ears an Tail.So i'm not sure between the realistic one and the Anthromorphic one.Probably a bit more anthromorphic ish.

Completely random thought about your Umbreon cosplay, and I don't know how feasible this would be, but what about something along the lines of what the Tron cosplayers do with the light strips? With red goggles or sunglasses? (from you avatar it just looked like the yellow stripes should be glowing... but I'm not familiar with the character.)

Good idea and thankyou.Perhaps next year I will be able to put together a good costume from a game.was HOPING to do Altair this year but yeah lol gotta save up to buy the costume sense that is IMPOSSIBLE for me to make. lol. And i think i'll go as Yachiru .Thanks for your Advice.You sound awesome. and AWESOME STEAM PUNK

You can cosplay from anything :) I've done a lot so far on my Fiora Cavazza from AC: Brotherhood. I'll post pics when I can!

OOOOOOO I'd LOVE To see your AC Brotherhood.

• LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Hemisphere wrote: »
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    Oh most definitely! I'd love to work out my own omni tool as well! AH!!!

I'm excited to see who you choose and your progress! One thing to consider if you're daunted by sewing is the cannibalization and modification of found objects and garments. Sometimes modifying things from the thrift store can yield some really cool results. The work by Aicosu is a good example of cosplayers using garment modification http://www.aicosu.com/champhawke.html so checking out their blog and progress shots might be helpful. It's amazing what you can pull off with some imagination so don't be discouraged :)

Thank you! I'm working on plans to make a Kasumi outfit! I'd honestly like to spend as little amount of money as possible, but damn, I want a fancy omni tool! I could hit up the folks at Crabcat Industries but if you folks know of anyone/anywhere else where there's a how-to, please send em my way! I'm so excited!!!

If I have time, I might try to work out another outfit as I'd love to just do something random. Any suggestions? Maybe I can match someone? hehe

• FalkalaFalkala Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Working on some Sith (Old Republic style) costumes, as well as digging out the closet-full of Steampunk gear for this PAX.

Has anyone here worked with vacuum forming?

@EruditeAphrodite
    I did a Pentakill Sona last year, and made the Etwhal out of a mixture of plaster/foam/cardboard and it was way, way too heavy and also a real mess to get through the hall. I intend to tackle that prop again this year with new materials.

[edit]
    AaronC wrote: »
    Deactivated an unable to fire nerf is totally ok. Expect to be checked.

Do they need the orange tip still? All my nerf props are deactivated but not all of them still have their bright orange tips.

Falkala on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »
    :O

Hrm, this would mean I could chef up one of her bodyguards easily. Repurpose some army suplus stuff and I'd be done in a weekend. Normally I avoid quick and dirty fixes but A) I'm good at them and B) I'm literally too busy this summer to do anything fancier. Oh and there is that small detail of Skullgirls having a very limited male cast, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • irikahirikah Registered User regular
    I can't believe it's time to start budgeting out my costume again. D:

Going to be going as Avatar Korra, and I'm looking forward to doing most of the costume by hand, but her shirt still eludes me on how to tackle it. Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a good pattern/ideas?
    Korra1.jpg

.life.laugh.love.
    edited May 2012
    Traditional Chinese shirt with the arms removed? Like that thingy Chun Li from Street Fighter wears.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • irikahirikah Registered User regular
    Traditional Chinese shirt with the arms removed?

Hrm, I hadn't thought about that. Time to hit the ID. Thanks!

.life.laugh.love.
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    irikah wrote: »

Going to be going as Avatar Korra, and I'm looking forward to doing most of the costume by hand, but her shirt still eludes me on how to tackle it. Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a good pattern/ideas?
    Korra1.jpg

For a perfectly fitting shirt like hers? Duct tape...seriously...get an old shirt you don't care about and tape away...draw your seam lines onto the duct tape and carefully cut if off. When transfering to fabric add appropriate seam allowances and piece it back together..just remember to add your collar to the duct tape patternalso TOGSolid's idea ain't too bad either

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • PerzephonePerzephone Gamer, Cosplayer & Geek :3 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hemisphere wrote: »
    Perzephone wrote: »
    I remember you :D I took pics of you awesome group last year and saw you shoot with Bill Doran!

This is my Bethany :) I just did her normal one as well, I need to fix the chainmail though. I'm using actual chain and I need to make where it stays on much better.
    https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=379056728802976&set=a.364529190255730.85709.364473226927993&type=3&theater

Excellent!~ I'd love to see them sometime. :D We had such a blast doing that photo shoot. I actually got to hang out with Bill and his identical twin at PAX East dressed as Rogue and Mage Hawke which was crazy to see. We're planning to do a shoot for our Mass Effect costumes with the same photographer and I'll have some additional DA cosplayers with me (Isabela from the photo, some Grey Wardens and possibly quite a few more) so I'd imagine we might do an updated shoot if there is time.

Mine is also chain mail so I've been through the headaches of getting it to fit and stay on without constant adjustment. It's incredibly sturdy now so if you need advice just let me know and I'll be happy to help. We're both local to Seattle so it'd be easy to troubleshoot.

Rock on :) I'll message you lil later today lol since I am about to go to work :3

• PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'll be doing Jessica Albert from Dragon Quest VIII again. I was going to go as a Female Commissar from Warhammer 40k, but I won't have the money do to the costume the way I really want it this year. So instead, if I can get it together, I'll be going as a Jedi since I'm currently immersed in SWTOR. I have a toy lightsaber I need to find. It came with different pieces to change the color of the "blade".

PrincessCleo on
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

Korra1.jpg

I actually made an Avatar Korra costume, but I decided against cosplaying her and sold the costume. I got a light blue turtleneck shirt from Value Village. The shirt itself was from REI according to the tag. Finding a light blue turtleneck shirt is harder than it sounds. I cut off the sleeves and part of the neck. Then I sewed white fabric around the armholes and the neck. I didn't make the "V" in front of the neck though. I imagine the neck portion would have a hard time standing up straight with it there.

Hope that helps!

• RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular

Korra1.jpg

Seconding the chinese style shirt. You could also look into athletic gear. Personally, I would do a mix of the two(get a pattern for an athletic shirt and then add a chinese style collar)

• ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    While I'd like to get my Megaman costume improved, there's a growing impulse to show up next year as a WH40k Commissar.

Oh dear.

Please do this!If I had the drive and commitment I would love to setup a Fire Warrior rig.

I'm lazy so it ain't gonna happen.

I'd love to, but recent developments have pretty much killed any sort of involved costume building this year. I have way too much on my plate (Hurr hurr) to be able to dedicate myself to a few weeks of going into production mode and shutting myself away to work on any costume stuff. Moving from one island to another == logistics hell.

Next year I'll be settled and get some cool stuff together though!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    I'd love to, but recent developments have pretty much killed any sort of involved costume building this year. I have way too much on my plate (Hurr hurr) to be able to dedicate myself to a few weeks of going into production mode and shutting myself away to work on any costume stuff. Moving from one island to another == logistics hell.

I feel ya,I say I am lazy but really I am a workaholic.If I start now though maybe I will have half of a Firewarrior costume ready to go for PAX Prime 2013.We will see.If I ever get serious about this I would love to meetup with any other WH40k cosplayers for some pics.
    I'll be doing Jessica Albert from Dragon Quest VIII again. I was going to go as a Female Commissar from Warhammer 40k, but I won't have the money do to the costume the way I really want it this year. So instead, if I can get it together, I'll be going as a Jedi since I'm currently immersed in SWTOR. I have a toy lightsaber I need to find. It came with different pieces to change the color of the "blade".

Damnit!Someone not lazy like me needs to cosplay a freaking WH40k commissar!Someone make it happen!

ALKADER wrote: »

I feel ya,I say I am lazy but really I am a workaholic.If I start now though maybe I will have half of a Firewarrior costume ready to go for PAX Prime 2013.We will see.If I ever get serious about this I would love to meetup with any other WH40k cosplayers for some pics.

Damnit!Someone not lazy like me needs to cosplay a freaking WH40k commissar!Someone make it happen!
    Yea, when I go into production mode it's basically like a mad scientist being caught up in an inventing spree (insert Girl Genius reference here). I get obsessed for a few weeks and I can't afford that sort of time loss this year. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    My friend and i where thinking of doing some League of legends cosplay after seeing some of the cool costumes done at PAX east anyone know if Riot is going to have a similar stage for that at prime?

edited May 2012
    There's an entire regional LoL tourney at Prime. I bet they'll have something.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    If we had more than one income in our house I would be doing the Commissar outfit (inspired by "Commissar Busty", the female Commisar model from YEARS ago). They way I want it to look just isn't feasible with our money situation the way it is right now. The Jedi will be much easier, and cheaper, for me to do.

• FalkalaFalkala Registered User regular
    The Riot people tend to be super awesome and excited about LoL costumes. Last year it got you in to play Dominion without waiting in line. They even had a costume meetup on the Sunday, but it was during the Old Republic panel so I missed it.

This discussion has been closed.