As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    A customer contacted me because when they tried to print out a UPS tracking email it came out as gibberish.

I, being the good person I am, did a little bit of research and found it's some weird Firefox bug when using AOL Mail (ugh)

So I ask them to try printing from IE and see if it happens there, and they say they're busy and this is the first time it's ever happened.

You think after sending literally thousands of these I would have heard about this being an issue before and fixed it. Sorry you have Weird Shit on your computer.

Don't even get me started on how fucking dumb it is to print an email with a tracking link in it.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Usagi wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Oh my god stop printing thiiiiiiings

Anyway I can password lock a network printer?

if you have access to the server you can set it up in active directory to only allow certain people to print to it, but you have to specify

Hmm, will investigate

This dude's print happiness with both our color laser and our color plotter (which is $fuckingtexas per print) is getting old

When I was working on a project with a particularly awful client, they asked us to print everything in color. On a documentation project with a constantly shifting scope and 50 engineers.

We'd burn through thousands of color pages a day.

Most of them went in the shredder bin.

rhylith on
    Depending on the type of printer yeah you can definitely set up print job accounting to lock people out of printing to color, got that set up here. Not sure if it would work on a plotter though.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    At NIke, when you print, it actually gives you an estimate of the cost of your print job before you print, a-la Kinko's. Shocking to see $200 print jobs sent to our color plotter for an already outdated entity relationship diagram. But boss wants it, so boss gets it.

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    i can feel your pain @smart hero, some of the most inane and stupidest shit i ever had to deal with IT wise was when I worked in the call center for readers digest's QVC website.

Only old people used that damn site and the some of the calls I got were amazing. These are people who literally could not immediately find the ESC key.

That job taught me a lot about patience.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Depending on the type of printer yeah you can definitely set up print job accounting to lock people out of printing to color, got that set up here. Not sure if it would work on a plotter though.

Part of the problem is that the plotter is setup like it's a regular printer, so unless you know that the HP DJ1050 is a plotter when you select it you're just making expensive recycling.

Going to talk with IT tomorrow

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    another day, another 15 minutes of staring balefully at ad revenue breakdowns

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Part of the problem is that the plotter is setup like it's a regular printer, so unless you know that the HP DJ1050 is a plotter when you select it you're just making expensive recycling.

Going to talk with IT tomorrow

I'd suggest that they rename the share name of the printer as well to make it a bit more descriptive so people know it's the plotter and not just another printer.

People would have to re-add as a result, but it would have the extra effect of cutting back on people that just have it randomly added.

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    all windows computers should have 7-zip pre-installed

every windows computer since XP can natively open zip files in explorer, they just open like folders

i am aware

7-zip is still made of greatness

Seconded, 7-Zip far exceeds the capabilities of the integrated compressed file handler.

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular

if you have access to the server you can set it up in active directory to only allow certain people to print to it, but you have to specify

Hmm, will investigate

This dude's print happiness with both our color laser and our color plotter (which is $fuckingtexas per print) is getting old

oh yeah, if it's just one dude you can totally lock him out

wait, I think. I forget my AD rules exactly, I think if you have the Everyone group set to allow print but his account set to not, his restrictions will override the Everyone group. otherwise, just remove Everyone and add the specific people you want to print

That's correct, by default the "Everyone" group has "allow" "print" privileges, but if you specifically add his account and "deny" "print" (also I'd recommend "deny" "manage printer" and "manage documents" as well) he won't be able to. NTFS "deny" always takes precedence.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Hmm, will investigate

When I was working on a project with a particularly awful client, they asked us to print everything in color. On a documentation project with a constantly shifting scope and 50 engineers.

We'd burn through thousands of color pages a day.

Most of them went in the shredder bin.

I worked at a place where the entire operation was printing financial documents, then moving them ten feet to another desk where they were scanned and then emailed to people. And then shredded.

...how could anyone think that was an intelligent way to do things

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    GOOD NEWS: I didn't have to go into work today and probably can't make it in tomorrow!

BAD NEWS: Because the car my sister was carpooling me to work with decided brakes were unnecessary. We slammed into the back of a Sierra on the way in today, and the front end and brakes are just done. We don't know the extent of the damage until this weekend when the shop has time to make a detailed examination, but there's a pretty good chance that it's a writeoff.

The distance to my job is bad enough when it comes to commuting with my car, but bussing is even worse in this city. It's ridiculously unreliable since they made massive cuts last year. If my car has given up on being roadworthy entirely, it's just another reason for me to find a new job...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Grande prairie. If it was fort macmurray I would have flat out refused

I hear people saying that sort of thing about Fort Mac all the time and I'm in Nova Scotia.

Certainly a lovely reputation for a town to earn, isn't it?

The real clincher for me is the out of control housing prices. Normally when you go there you have a really high wage so it offsets the cost, but what that company was offering me wouldn't be enough.

Also the fact that there are practically no women in the town - mostly male oil workers. F that.

I know a girl who works with the RCMP, and her first placement was in Fort McMurray. They didn't give her a living allowance or anything like that - and because it was her first placement, her salary was still pretty low. She had to get loans in order to afford to live there - in effect; she wasn't even making money. She was working at a net loss.

The thing about Grande Prairie is at least its still a regular-ish town. Its far away from anywhere and kinda isolated, but I could get a place for a reasonable amount of money and it isn't a pure oil town.

Al_wat on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Best Buy drives me insane sometimes.

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    interview in 12 hours

hhhhhh

i should be fine

got my suit ready, shaved, smelling nice

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Uh oh, getting nervous for my phone interview tomorrow.

I'm well qualified and I have my answers in order and all but oh man it'd be nice to work there at that company in those crazy offices. So freaking nice.

Hope I can get some good sleep tonight.

Nothing. Matters.
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Always a good idea to shave your suit before an interview.

(Good luck!)

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Best Buy drives me insane sometimes.

yuuuuup

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Update:

SF Company 1 is working on revising their offer to me, to be closer to what I asked for.
    SF Company 2 is making an offer tomorrow or Monday.

Seattle company 1 said "no but"... essentially the role was too high, but they said if I come and interview for the level below, I'd get it.
    Unfortunately since I already have an offer AND have taken off several days in the past month, taking another day off in the near future isn't in my cards.
    So unless I decline all the SF companies and wait a bit, I will not be moving back to Seattle. :\

(And I still obviously haven't announced anything, so don't post on FB or twitter or anything about this.
    You know who you are) :p

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS: I didn't have to go into work today and probably can't make it in tomorrow!

BAD NEWS: Because the car my sister was carpooling me to work with decided brakes were unnecessary. We slammed into the back of a Sierra on the way in today, and the front end and brakes are just done. We don't know the extent of the damage until this weekend when the shop has time to make a detailed examination, but there's a pretty good chance that it's a writeoff.

The distance to my job is bad enough when it comes to commuting with my car, but bussing is even worse in this city. It's ridiculously unreliable since they made massive cuts last year. If my car has given up on being roadworthy entirely, it's just another reason for me to find a new job...

PM me photos, the year make model and your home zip code (so I can find out the local labor rates) and I can write a rough estimate for you

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
    So I am proooobbabbllyyy moving to
    San Francisco.
    We'll see. But I'd say 85% likely at this point.

Obligatory: @Dubh @IpseDixit @Janson @Moriveth @DE?AD @Kusugattai - the -banned and everyone else must come to my celebration if I do go there. :3

nevillexmassig1.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    neville wrote: »
    San Francisco.

Obligatory: @Dubh @IpseDixit @Janson @Moriveth @DE?AD @Kusugattai - the -banned and everyone else must come to my celebration if I do go there. :3

GDC cheesecake parties???

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I totally read that as GDC cheesecake panties

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Heck yeeeeeeeeeeeeah Nevs!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    End wrote: »
    I totally read that as GDC cheesecake panties

both

nevillexmassig1.png
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    congrats dude

it's gonna feel so great to get the fuck out of Irvine

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Was it that startup, neville? Or big name?

Once I move down to SF and get situated with a job I'd definitely like to meet some PA people that live there this time around. Seems strange to only meet folks at PAX.

Nothing. Matters.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    San Francisco.

Dude sweet! Maybe I'll see you sometime.

You know when I'm not secretly hating you.

Aphostile wrote: »
    Was it that startup, neville? Or big name?

Once I move down to SF and get situated with a job I'd definitely like to meet some PA people that live there this time around. Seems strange to only meet folks at PAX.

Both the offers are startup, but no names until I accept and announce it at work.
    I'm still doing homework, hence the 15% I'm not sold yet, just to make sure it's the right move.
    Moriveth wrote: »
    San Francisco.

Dude sweet! Maybe I'll see you sometime.

You know when I'm not secretly hating you.
    yes. one dayyyyy

nevillexmassig1.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yesssssssssssssssssss

And you'll get to meet the baby! Well, if you like babies. ;)

Why is there a winky there?!

:S

nevillexmassig1.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If you don't like the baby she gonna kill you

2x39jD4.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

To look afer Barty Crouch Jr.

Duh.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Well, @Valvejunkie might be up in Cali within the year...

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    hey now...

Dubh wrote: »

Well, @Valvejunkie might be up in Cali within the year...

oh ho hoooooo
    :3

nevillexmassig1.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I moved from the WR phase 1 project to the WR phase 2 project. For reasons I'm not going to question, this also moved me up to the 12th floor, where I get a view of the harbour, parliament buildings and the the town of Dale set for the filming of The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

I can see they've got a few cranes set up; maybe some rain scenes, or possibly a little [exterior, night] lighting?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I guess maybe they were shooting some sunset scenes? I could see they had some serious lighting going on for the past hour, but now that the sun has gone below the horizon, the big stuff isn't on any more.

This is the nicest view I've had since I worked on the waterfront at Petone beach.

EDIT: Yep, they must be filming something, they're moving the cranes.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    At NIke, when you print, it actually gives you an estimate of the cost of your print job before you print, a-la Kinko's. Shocking to see $200 print jobs sent to our color plotter for an already outdated entity relationship diagram. But boss wants it, so boss gets it.

That is actually pretty damn cool.

This discussion has been closed.