As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls MMO info
    -The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

Full list in the link.

right I gave it a chance but I'm already out

Yup, it sounds aggressively mediocre and anti-elder scrolls. It's like Antimatter in video game form.

this is the best joke you had? really? i'm actually impressed by how unimpressive this burn was. There are birthday candles that've delivered worse pain and heat than that.

and that game sounds awful but it's elder scrolls so i'm not surprised

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    I liked Skyrim while I was playing it

but more and more I was just like, this isn't a game, this is a cave simulator

AND NO I DO NOT FETCH THE MEAD FOR THE COMPANIONS I RUN THAT SHIT

AND STOP SAYING I SMELL LIKE A WET DOG I AM NOT A WEREWOLF ANYMORE

Nah, there's plenty of shit to do outside of caves. The game owns.

jkZziGc.png
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I AM NOT A WEREWOLF ANYMORE

this is the problem

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I saved the world from a dragon demon and went to Valhalla and you are still cracking jokes about how you've never heard of me you are an asshole

xmassig2.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah that MMO sounds like a MMO-ass MMO

Color me uninterested

Still, I'm glad Bethesda isn't making it, because they'll still make the games in that series that I like.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Well we haven't seen much at all of the "end" game, the beta has only lasted a weekend, fairly limited in scope. The game does delevel you and your gear so you go somewhere else and not faceroll it.

I think the dynamic events will clean up some shortly. I noticed Hullis's problems too, but I also had some very smooth public events - usually late at night when less people were engaged in the event. My guess is that their auto-scaling factor needs some tweaking.

Also you can dye your armors! There's apparently hundreds of dyes and each piece of armor has 2 or 3 dye zones. I love it, though my creations are either mundane or hideous.

i was talking more about how endgame isn't like

level 73

because ugh i hate that shit, i hate being locked out of a huge chunk of content until i catch up with a bunch of nerds

Oh. Well yeah we haven't seen much at all past level 20 so it's hard to say. They seem to have a good design philosophy though, if they stick with it they'll meet with success.

Of course Age of Conan was really awesome for the first 20 levels too. Age of Conan didn't have World as Myth and Veretas working on it though!

Yeah, I suppose. I just really wish instead of making Guild Wars the MMO they'd actually made Guild Wars 2, a proper sequel to the gameplay of the first one. GW1 was a hell of a good game.

Moriveth wrote: »

Color me uninterested

Still, I'm glad Bethesda isn't making it, because they'll still make the games in that series that I like.

i want them to never make another fallout gmae and just let obsidian do it forever because mmmm avellone

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I liked Skyrim while I was playing it

but more and more I was just like, this isn't a game, this is a cave simulator

AND NO I DO NOT FETCH THE MEAD FOR THE COMPANIONS I RUN THAT SHIT

AND STOP SAYING I SMELL LIKE A WET DOG I AM NOT A WEREWOLF ANYMORE

Nah, there's plenty of shit to do outside of caves. The game owns.

it's a fine game, but that stuff annoys me

I do not like the idea of a game where you can defeat the main antagonist and it affects literally nothing

and I personally felt like there were a few too many caves with a dragonword and a lich at the end of them

for all the touting of this dynamic world that stuff took me out of it pretty good

xmassig2.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Color me uninterested

i want them to never make another fallout gmae and just let obsidian do it forever because mmmm avellone

Eh Fallout 3 was fine

And if you let Obsidian make games they will be complete buggy messes

I'd rather the two companies worked together on a game, honestly

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I like parts of that list

I hate parts of that list

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I never got into GW1 when it was new. Going back and playing it now (cheap on Steam and HoM points).......it's VERY hard for me to get past its age-based limitations.

It's not BAD mind you, I like the heroes mechanic and the skill deck concept is an interesting one (which GW2 has morphed into its own thing, you can definitely see the pedigree).

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • CoffeeCoffee Registered User regular
    So the Elder Scrolls MMO prerelease info sounds like every other MMO's prelease info ever.

Surprise surprise....

avellone is overrated!

bethesda made elder scrolls?????

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Color me uninterested

Eh Fallout 3 was fine

I'd rather the two companies worked together on a game, honestly

so it will be ultra buggy?

anti, please

please, anti

Avellone is awesome, but I want Bethesda to make Fallout 4, because Fallout 3 was an excellent game that I played many many hours of. New Vegas had a better story and dialogue, but the gameplay wasn't as fun. Besides, Obsidian doesn't really know how to innovate. They need Bethesda to do that, then get hired to make another game based on the same engine.

Ah, I'd forgotten why I dislike this thread.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ah, I'd forgotten why I dislike this thread.

Admit it, you kinda walked right into that one.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I'm in this thread, this thread is great, ignore everyone else. how are you @Moriveth?

Shabooty wrote: »
    anti, please

please, anti
    come on

the setup was right there

yeah Obsidian's strength is in story, not game design

which is a shame because that means I love their broken messes but would love them even more if they were not broken

that said I didn't find new vegas any more broken than fallout 3 and I liked it way better, so

xmassig2.gif
    Yeah New Vegas and Fallout 3 were both about equally broken for me. Which is to say, not much at all, because I only ever got like 5 crashes between both of them.

i absolutely adore RPing in bethesda/obsidian games and just walking across the map dressed in appropriate clothing

for skyrim that was rags or furs

NV i cheated and wore the ranger duster

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I can't find the game design thread :(

look for the infection in your butt

xmassig2.gif
    It was a crime that you had to cheat (or wear faction clothes) to wear the ranger duster. Coolest looking armor in that game. It's on the dang box! One of the DLC got you recolored suit faction free though, as I recall.

They make neat worlds but bethesda games are often broken to hell, luckily some bugs are amusing enough and the games are good enough that i don't really care. and they fix them eventually.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    It was a crime that you had to cheat (or wear faction clothes) to wear the ranger duster. Coolest looking armor in that game. It's on the dang box! One of the DLC got you recolored suit faction free though, as I recall.

Two of them.

One had nightvision goggles.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I never got into GW1 when it was new. Going back and playing it now (cheap on Steam and HoM points).......it's VERY hard for me to get past its age-based limitations.

It's not BAD mind you, I like the heroes mechanic and the skill deck concept is an interesting one (which GW2 has morphed into its own thing, you can definitely see the pedigree).

Yeah, I imagine it could be tough to get into right now.

But man, I loved that game.

I liked the stories; I liked the skill system; I liked the fact that grinding money for armor and weapons almost didn't exist unless you wanted a nicer aesthetic (or the prestige of an elite set); I liked how--with Factions and Nightfall--you could be max level in about 6 hours, and the rest was about getting used to the skills and figuring out strategies; I liked how every class felt unique and was really fun to play (with the exception of Paragon); I liked the skill charge-up bars and the very idea that you could avoid a boss' major attack by interrupting it; and most of all, I liked how it felt like a single-player RPG that let you team up with friends.

So while I'm excited for GW2, I'm also sad that it's such a departure from GW1. Especially since I can't think of another MMO that's like GW1.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Nightfall was such a good expansion. Factions was good too but I didn't really care for all that business with the two actual factions. As a story it was no Nightfall but still fun.

Nightfall was such a good expansion. Factions was good too but I didn't really care for all that business with the two actual factions. As a story it was no Nightfall but still fun.

Yeah, the whole competing factions thing was "eh," but man.

The Jade Sea.

That area was gorgeous and such a neat concept.

IKknkhU.gif
    Really the whole game was gorgeous. Really good art design that probably still holds up extremely well today. But yeah, the Jade Sea especially.

Speaking of old games that I love...

I've been replaying the Freespace saga, using the GoG version of FS2 modded with Freespace Open.

That game is still really fun, and the modders have done a great job making it look pretty good by modern standards.

IKknkhU.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nightfall is great but

FUCK

KORMIR

SO MUCH

hey,d o we have a boarderlands 2 thread?

Hullis wrote: »
    Nightfall is great but

FUCK

KORMIR

SO MUCH

What was wrong with Kormir?

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    They make neat worlds but bethesda games are often broken to hell, luckily some bugs are amusing enough and the games are good enough that i don't really care. and they fix them eventually.

They are games about storytelling, to me. Not so much in the story going on in-game (as neat as it may be), but in the crazy stories you tell your friends about.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.