As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MLB] - Tigers and Angels and Pirates, Oh My!

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I kind of expect this out of gallardo, but Doc? He is supposed to carry my WHIP. :(

I feel this pain. =[

Eh, give him at least one bad start a year. He'll be good enough in the others that it doesn't matter.

At least you're not the guy in one of my leagues who owns Crawford, Ellsbury, Longoria, and Youkilis. He's.....um.......not winning........

No, but I do own Ells and Youk. :?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I kind of expect this out of gallardo, but Doc? He is supposed to carry my WHIP. :(

I feel this pain. =[

Eh, give him at least one bad start a year. He'll be good enough in the others that it doesn't matter.

At least you're not the guy in one of my leagues who owns Crawford, Ellsbury, Longoria, and Youkilis. He's.....um.......not winning........

Health is a skill. Longo's injury is pretty freak but Ells and Youk have been hurt or brittle for a while. I understand why people like to bet on upside but you have to factor in probable injury time when calculating player values (which is why I don't own either of those guys in any leagues). It sucks to lose dudes to injury but when you invest in brittle players, this stuff happens.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I feel this pain. =[

Health is a skill. Longo's injury is pretty freak but Ells and Youk have been hurt or brittle for a while. I understand why people like to bet on upside but you have to factor in probable injury time when calculating player values (which is why I don't own either of those guys in any leagues). It sucks to lose dudes to injury but when you invest in brittle players, this stuff happens.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know it's my own fault for taking the risk. They were my two big injury risks, and it just sucks that they've both broken on me at the same time. I was hoping to keep at least one of them healthy, but eh. It's a valuable lesson for my first league, I suppose.

I feel this pain. =[

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know it's my own fault for taking the risk. They were my two big injury risks, and it just sucks that they've both broken on me at the same time. I was hoping to keep at least one of them healthy, but eh. It's a valuable lesson for my first league, I suppose.

It's a good time for it :) I have a tendency to get criticism because I tend to win boring without huge risks (or at least huge risks without a backup plan). Like you, my first fantasy league was a huge lesson in risk management because I had first, second, and third rounders go down for the season by mid-May. I still eked out a 3rd place finish by sheer luck and activity but it was a lesson I never forgot.

• LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    Why was Longoria even stealing a base on that team full of basestealers!? Arrrggghhh!

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Torn ACL for Rivera.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    and Mo's career might be over. As a Sox fan I hated him, but always respected him

that also makes 13 closers injured or demoted since the season begun. There's always saves on the wire!

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    edited May 2012
    That's a goddamn shame. As another Sox fan, I agree. I hate seeing him on the mound, but the man is the single greatest active pitcher in baseball. A classy, reserved guy, too.

I'd hate to see his career end with a whimper.

Edit: Durable as hell, too. Just read that his last stint on the DL was nearly a decade ago, back in 2003. Damn.

minor incident on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    and Mo's career might be over. As a Sox fan I hated him, but always respected him

that also makes 13 closers injured or demoted since the season begun. There's always saves on the wire!

Saves are the dumbest stat. And closers are the dumbest thing this side of bunting.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Just realized if Mo retires, so does the no. 42 for good

C8Ft8GE.jpg

Saves are the dumbest stat. And closers are the dumbest thing this side of bunting.

Saves or not, Mo is still great. Here's hoping he comes back for one more so he can leave on a high note.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    Stupid fucking closers of mine getting hurt/demoted.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
    What kind of fucked up backwards world are we living in where I'm looking at beating Baltimore as a hell of an accomplishment?

Why didn't I hold onto my sleeper Altuve a liiiittle longer? That tiny man sure can hit

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    God damnit. I fell asleep in the 12th, and just woke up to see the Sox managed to lose it in 13.

Logic now dictates that I can never again sleep during a game.

Saves or not, Mo is still great. Here's hoping he comes back for one more so he can leave on a high note.

You could argue his cutter is the best pitch of all time

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I am not enjoying Jose Valverde's regression to the mean.

You could argue his cutter is the best pitch of all time

But what sort of crazy person would argue against you, though?

I'm convinced Buchholz has some sort of bet going with the bullpen on who can maintain a 9.00+ ERA the longest without getting sent down.

Sweet mother of God!

Pujols goes deep for the first time as an Angel!

Who had May 6th on in their pool? No one in the world?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Chris Davis has 6 K's today. 5 batting, 1 pitching

e: And Darnell McDonald is slingin for the Sox. Pitching duel!!!

If the Orioles hold on, the winning pitcher could also go 0-8 batting. Has that ever happened?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg

If the Orioles hold on, the winning pitcher could also go 0-8 batting. Has that ever happened?

I had to stop watching the Sox/Orioles game to go see The Avengers. They were kind enough to keep it going until I got home. Was starting to wonder which position player they were going to drag out to the mound first.

edited May 2012

I had to stop watching the Sox/Orioles game to go see The Avengers. They were kind enough to keep it going until I got home. Was starting to wonder which position player they were going to drag out to the mound first.

I've honestly never seen so many different types of ridiculous losses ever, let alone 5 weeks into a season. By the way, winning pitcher going 0-8 HAD happened before. Rube Waddell in 1905 threw a 20 inning CG against the Sox, went 0-8. Beat Cy Young and his 20 inning CG. They both squared off again 2 days later

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Rube Waddell in 1905 threw a 20 inning CG against the Sox, went 0-8. Beat Cy Young and his 20 inning CG. They both squared off again 2 days later

BACK WHEN PITCHERS WERE MEN. REAL MEN.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    Flexible Puppeteers is looking for saves in the Yahoo league.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Back when pitchers were cattle

Adrenaline wrote: »
    Flexible Puppeteers is looking for saves in the Yahoo league.

Not ESPN, huh? Cause I salivate over LaHair.

Ah the 1-5-4-3 double play. Cabrera hits it hard enough off the pitcher's back and it was turned at just the right angle to go directly to the third baseman so that they could still get two.

Tigers are snake bit, offensively.

And the starters may just massacre the bullpen at some point. This is ridiculous.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    And the starters may just massacre the bullpen at some point. This is ridiculous.

Yeah these blown leads are fucking ridiculous.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    On the flip side, I am saying "woooooooooooooooooo!"

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    edited May 2012
    Fun stat: when the Tigers led after 7 innings last year they NEVER LOST. Not ONCE.

This year: 6 times.

Some of that is regression to the mean (particularly by Valverde who was insanely lucky last year), but I mean... UGGGGGGGH

enlightenedbum on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Saves are stupid unless you have Mariano Rivera

wakka wakka wakka

edited May 2012
    Hamilton's such a pussy. Couldn't even pull off 5 homers in one game? Only 4 homers and a double? What a little bitch.

minor incident on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hamilton's such a pussy. Couldn't even pull of 5 homers in one game? Only 4 homers and a double? What a little bitch.

He's no Shawn Green, that's for sure.

Glorious motherfucker.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Hey look, Jose Valverde is going to blow another save.

EDIT: Escapes! Walked three, but escapes!

enlightenedbum on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    GodDAMN I was almost positive Montero was going to get a better pitch to drive. Good finish on the last out going into the stands.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Huh, we signed Vladimir Guerrero? Guess he had an okay season last year, though much of the news I'm reading is gushing over how he used to be an Expo.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Hey look, Jose Valverde is going to blow another save.

EDIT: Escapes! Walked three, but escapes!

Ha ha! What a magician!

(does anyone want to trade something to me for him?)

This discussion has been closed.