As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh man.

I am maybe a quarter of the way through naked lunch.

It sure is different. It's like there is almost no narrative and it's just not so much a story but just a bunch experiences in each chapter drawn together by common setting.

It feels so directionless but engrossing at the same time.

Yeah? You're engrossed? I've read that book twice and still haven't managed to take much away from it aside from maybe Burroughs should have taken a few less drugs.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I restarted Paradise Lost last night, but did not get very far at all, so I'll probably drop it after we vote

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    hey i might finally have to get around to reading cloudstreet

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The second Hunger Games book was not as good as the first.

Short summary review: Feel free to stick to the first book - it stands fine on its own.

Book 2 spoilers:
    I did like Katniss' character throughout - Collins is really good at writing a strong feminist character who the reader can identify with - but the book suffered from having her actually return to the Hunger Games. It felt shoehorned in, and dropped the ball on a huge opportunity - the fact that she has to return to the Hunger Games anyway, as a mentor.

If Collins had done it that way, she could have revisited the horror of the Games from a new angle, while building up the political machinations and building rebelion that was obviously coming. She spends most of the book building up this aspect of the story, so I'd expect that to be the payoff.

Instead, the last third of the book swerves off from the plot of building up the politics to throwing Katniss - and the reader - into a shorter, less exciting version of the Games from the first book. And then, to add insult to injury, Collins throws in a twist reveal at the end.

I hate suprise reveals like the end of the book had, where something just comes completely out of the blue. There's no indication that Haymich is anything other than what he seems untill the last few pages of the book, and the whole "we never told you the truth" thing is just so pat. It's not like Collins couldn't have built up to the reveal by having Katniss slowly uncover the plot, rather than going "oh yeah, I totally set this up".

Anyway, yeah, it was still a pretty good read - it still only took me a day to get through it, and I attribute that entirely to Collins' ability to write a believable, strong and vulnerable protagonist.

I haven't got the best feeling about the 3rd book so far, but I suspect it'll be like with the Mistborn trilogy: The first was great, the second was pretty good and the third I just wanted to finish to see how the series would end.

Legba on
  • Options
    SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm liking the 2nd Hunger Games book so far and I'm almost done with it. I would have it finished by now but I've been real busy with work :/

• Options
    Don't click my spoiler untill you're done with it. There are some pretty big ending spoilers there.

• Options
    SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ok lol I won't

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    I haven't got the best feeling about the 3rd book so far, but I suspect it'll be like with the Mistborn trilogy: The first was great, the second was pretty good and the third I just wanted to finish to see how the series would end.

yes.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

yes.

Awesome. :?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The second first law book is off to a good start. The end of the first book is a bit hazy in my head though, I can't remember some things, like why everyone but Glotka went to that city.

I think Dogman and West are my favorite characters, so this should be fun.

• Options

yes.

though calling the second book pretty good is generous

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    the end of mistborn was pretty good though?

i mean it was just
    vin wrecking everyone's fucking day because Fuck Those Guys

• Options
    i haven't read mistborn i was talkin' bout the hunger games books

• Options
    oh

well read the mistborn books, at least the first one

the first one is basically ocean's eleven but with MAGIC

it's pretty rad

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    the end of mistborn was pretty good though?

i mean it was just
    vin wrecking everyone's fucking day because Fuck Those Guys

It's been a while now since I read it, so I can't give you any specifics, but it really didn't gel with me for some reason.

yes.

though calling the second book pretty good is generous

Yeah, I bumped it up from my original review of "pretty decent". I dunno, I mean I devoured it in a day, and any book that has me basically reading the whole thing in a single sitting is worth a thumbs up of some sort. Basically, while I had some problems with it, it gets a bump because Katniss is a really well-written protagonist.

• Options
    oh

it's pretty rad
    yes yes i am sold yes

• Options
    warning sanderson was still kinda getting the hang of the whole

"being an author" thing

mistborn's his first published book and it can be shaky but it's so fun

• Options
    Yeah the first Mistborn book was good times.

Also The Way of Kings was really good, but it's like, part one of ten, so that's kind of frustrating. The next book in the series isn't due out untill January 2013, what with all his other engagements, so we're talking, what, 20-30 years for the series to finish?

• Options
    the big delay with stormlight 2 has been him finishing up wheel of time

he stopped writing everything else to reread the series and finish the last book

now that that's done i think we'll see him moving along a lot faster, the dude is basically a machine

i mean he took a break from writing and still managed to write another mistborn book

• Options
    It's the first series where I've picked it up with only one book done. Even if he finishes a book a year it'll still be 9 years for the series to finish.

But don't get me wrong, I don't expect any sympathy for my plight. ;)

• Options
    uh i read dresden files and those come out once a year and we still have 10-12 books to go

and we're at book 13 now

i've been reading these books since i was in eighth grade

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Yeah the first Mistborn book was good times.

Also The Way of Kings was really good, but it's like, part one of ten, so that's kind of frustrating. The next book in the series isn't due out untill January 2013, what with all his other engagements, so we're talking, what, 20-30 years for the series to finish?

Haha, this is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read, and I just now learn it's the first of a planned ten? But since the book is apparently so good, I'll read it anyways.

• Options
    the guy is also a fucking machine

people don't understand that he just writes nonstop

• Options
    Malazan book 5? You would have been really nice as book...4. Or 1. Because you sure do explain a lot of the crap that happened earlier.

I have no real suggestions for the book club this time around, I'm going to wait and see what people suggest. I really enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road, and is one of the first times I've read historical fiction and said "I like this". Y'all have good tastes.

• Options
    augh see now i feel like i need to finish reading the first five malazan books

because i enjoy them

even when i don't understand what's happening

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    augh see now i feel like i need to finish reading the first five malazan books

because i enjoy them

even when i don't understand what's happening

I'm re-reading along with the TOR.com reread. It helps me slow down and absorb stuff better. Also people point out neat things in the comments.

Speaking of machines, Steven Erikson is a machine. He pumped those books at about 1/year and each one is dense and massive.

@syphyre everything proceeds chronologically now, except a couple prologues I think. More with the (awesome) Bonehunters next book, obviously!

captaink on
  • Options
    I'm holding off on starting the Bonehunters for a short while. I can't just burst read through these because they are too jam packed.

Can I say I loved Bugg and Tehol Beddict, btw?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    let me tell you about bad books that i love

christopher farnsworth writes books about a vampire that's been bound to the office of the president of the united states since andrew jackson had a voodoo woman put a spell on him

to give you an idea of the level of terrible

the newest book is called red white and blood

they're the stupidest, trashiest books ever

and i love them

Buttlord on
  • Options
    oh my god and a new Sandman Slim book this year

holy fuckin shit i thought Aloha From Hell was the last one

this is the best year for stupid books y'all

THE BEST

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I'm holding off on starting the Bonehunters for a short while. I can't just burst read through these because they are too jam packed.

Can I say I loved Bugg and Tehol Beddict, btw?

Tehol and Bugg rule! They come back in Reaper's Gale.

• Options
    oh my god red white and blood is actually not a bad book

it's about the boogeyman, the patron saint of serial kilelrs

it possesses people and turns them into slashers

the chapter lead-ins are all either snippets about previous boogeyman attacks or quotes from actual serial killers, which helps set the mood nicely

so far these quotes have included son of sam, bundy, and btk

and it. is. creepy.

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    oh

it's pretty rad

Mm, I feel like that describes The Lies of Locke Lamora better than it does The Final Empire

not that I minded Mistborn, it was good. I couldn't get into the second one though. Even though he set the hooks for the sequel I just felt like the arc was so well done that I'm satisfied stopping after the first one

• Options
    the thing about sanderson that i love is that none of his twists come out of nowhere

if you really read

and really pay attention

you'll find where he started building them on like the third page of the book

butcher is the same way, he builds up to revelations with lots of little things and they all make sense in context

when the dresden RPG was in the works the writers actually figured out things that hadn't happened yet based on item descriptions and such

• Options
    uh i read dresden files and those come out once a year and we still have 10-12 books to go

and we're at book 13 now

I've only read the first one but those are kind of episodic self-contained stories with an overarching storyline, aren't they?

• Options

and we're at book 13 now

I've only read the first one but those are kind of episodic self-contained stories with an overarching storyline, aren't they?

so was way of kings though

it told a complete story in and of itself, of one dude's redemption, with hooks for the sequel

and the episodic bit of dresden files is starting to fade as we move into the second half of the series, more and more of the books deal with the fallout of previous events

• Options
    oh

it's pretty rad

Mm, I feel like that describes The Lies of Locke Lamora better than it does The Final Empire

not that I minded Mistborn, it was good. I couldn't get into the second one though. Even though he set the hooks for the sequel I just felt like the arc was so well done that I'm satisfied stopping after the first one

The Lies of Locke Lamora was great.

And yes, this was exactly my problem with the second and third Mistborn books, as well as the second (and so far the) third Hunger Games books. It's the Star Wars syndrome. The first one is great and awesome and pretty selfcontained, and then the second one comes along and it tries to recreate the first book while expanding and acting mostly as setup for the third one. Bleurgh. Either give me a trilogy from the first book, or give me three mostly stand-alone stories.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Ordered a hardcover copy of Dresden Files: Ghost Story the other day on Amazon.

I can't wait.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i feel like sanderson's written so many books at this point that he can't help but be pretty good at it

not that i've ever read one but that's my hypothesis

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's kind of unsettling that he's spending a good solid year between each books, when there's still ten left

I'm skeptical that I'll even care about the series by the time he's wrapping things up. :?

At this rate, I will be pushing 40 by the time he's done.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    who

sanderson or butcher

butcher i don't even give a fuck, i've been reading these books since high school and won't ever stop

This discussion has been closed.