As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh hey!

I just realized I could skip the final today and still get a B in the class (it's non-cumulative and he drops the lowest exam because this class is softball as fuck).

So that takes a lot of the burden off my shoulders.

I dunno man, weren't you bitten in the ass by such things before? Wouldn't it be safer to take the test anyway, even if you get a shitty score?

Seriously. Take the damn test and stop half-assing just because you can. Learn to put the extra effort in now before you are forced to do it at a crucial juncture.

What the fuck

I never said I wasn't taking the test or that I was half-assing it

I'm just glad that I'm not in danger of failing anymore

Felt bad. Made an edit. Was worried you were losing motivation. Want you to succeed with flying colors. Was too blunt.

I appreciate it, sorry for getting pissed, just kind of edgy with all the pressure right at the close here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzB36pm1yU

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I see Avengers in 12 hours, 30 minutes.

HOLY FUCKING BALLS OF SCRAMBLED EJACULATE

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Lud, it is fucking awesome.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Is your body ready? Are you prepared?

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You know "Cinco" means "five," right, em?
    OH GOD I have an extra day! YES!
    Yeah, Saturday Cinco de Mayo means I'm going to be getting inadvisably drunk with my bros, while watching the Kentucky Derby, and the Sounders kick some Philly ass.

All in all, should be an awesome day.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i really need to restart my work comp more often

poo
    You can online with your friends...

or your enemies.

My goal is not to be that guy if I eventually try a kickstarter.

Two of the gestalt guys had to drop out, so I've recklessly volunteered to DM my very first game to ease the survivors into the Gestalt Mindset.
    I've always wanted to play in a Gestalt game.

I've got a build that I think would be super-fun: Warlock/Beguiler into Warlock/Mindbender.

preeetty sure it's quattro de mayo

Fourth of Miracle Whip?

Two of the gestalt guys had to drop out, so I've recklessly volunteered to DM my very first game to ease the survivors into the Gestalt Mindset.
    I've always wanted to play in a Gestalt game.

I've got a build that I think would be super-fun: Warlock/Beguiler into Warlock/Mindbender.

My really-wanna-try-it build is Swift Hunter Scout/Ranger // Soulknife Soulbow. Run around the edge of the field and pepper you with MIND BULLETS ARROWS!!!

In hindsight, calling an eldritch horror that consumes each half second of time once we're finished with it a "Langolier" kinda defangs the horror a little.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i honestly think the 4x is plagued by a fundamental problem of design, and the "just one more turn" effect is not a result of quality gameplay but rather a continuous deferral of enjoyment and satisfaction, like the carrot dangled before you, combined with the sunk cost of your time invested in tedium and banality that is never really rewarded in a satisfactory fashion.

I have an important business meeting in Boston this morning at nine o'clock! And I forbid you to fly us into some WHISTLESTOP MAINE AIRPORT!!! DO YOU HEAR ME?!!

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    there is somebody in the MWO thread complaining that the missle pod models in the trailer footage have cover panels over the missles because apparently real missle batteries only have covers on the missle tubes when not in combat and having those covers swing out of the way is stupid

i hate video games so much

919UOwT.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, just heard gunfire outside my office and all of a sudden the bagpipes playing amazing grace for the last couple days made sense.

I guess they're having a memorial service for a cop.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Gooey wrote: »
    there is somebody in the MWO thread complaining that the missle pod models in the trailer footage have cover panels over the missles because apparently real missle batteries only have covers on the missle tubes when not in combat and having those covers swing out of the way is stupid

i hate video games so much
    No, you just hate video game people so much.

edited May 2012
    Also, I just checked out the MLS standings for the first time this season. Sounders aren't doing as well as I'd like, but they're still doing pretty well (given that they haven't played as many games as the people in first/second, I'm actually just fine with where they are).

Toronto FC is 0-7-0. They have lost literally every game they've played this season; not even a draw to their name. Goddamn.

Something tells me their coach won't be seeing next year.

Portland is unfortunately getting their clocks cleaned again, but the Whitecaps are in fourth place in the Western (real) Conference. Fucking LA has had the most precipitous fall, though they've been plagued with injuries this year; last season, they were basically playing in a different league from everyone else. Seriously, it was like watching a high school basketball team try to compete with Jordan-era Bulls. This year, they're not even in the top 50%.

Thanatos on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    someone build me a cart on amazon of comics book TPBs. Marvel. Has to be a complete story, nothing in-the-middle-of-a-big-arch, all or nothing. No more than $50. Last time I had a comic subscription was Civil War. Holy shit that's been nearly 7 years.

Ludious on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Also, I just checked out the MLS standings for the first time this season. Sounders aren't doing as well as I'd like, but they're still doing pretty well (given that they haven't played as many games as the people in first/second, I'm actually just fine with where they are).

Toronto FC is 0-7-0. They have lost literally every game they've played this season; not even a draw to their name. Goddamn.

Something tells me their coach won't be seeing next year.

Portland is unfortunately getting their clocks cleaned again, but the Whitecaps are in fourth place in the Western (real) Conference. Fucking LA has had the most precipitous fall, though they've been plagued with injuries this year; last season, they were basically playing in a different league from everyone else. Seriously, it was like watching a high school basketball team try to compete with Jordan-era Bulls. This year, they're not even in the top 50%.

What part of "only one Toronto sports team can be even remotely decent at one time" do you not understand? :P

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So today I realized my Ph. D is at a standstill, I don't have enough useful content to save it, and I sure as hell don't have the goodwill to expend on saving it, since you don't get to his point because things take a long time to do, you get here because nothing's working and that never changed.

Or I guess if you holiday in Hawaii for 3 years, but then I presume I'd have more knowledge of volcanoes.

So, by my estimate, I am done with this, since they're not paying me anymore and there's basically no chance of salvaging this. And it's taking an enormous toll in terms of mental health, motivation and marketable workplace experience.

Am I over-reacting to something? I mean I literally don't have enough content for more then 2 results chapters by my count, and the laboratory I'm in is actively getting less well maintained by the day.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The problem with 4x games is that their scope is appealing but 80% of the actual gameplay and thus time spent with the game is fucking dreadful meaningless tedium. You only rarely get the chance to do something exciting or fun; they are mostly bureaucracy and administration simulations.

I am kind of obsessed with this exact issue right now, albeit in a card/rpg/board direction -- can you do space fleets or a galactic empire type feel that is more storytell-y than bureaucratic.

edited May 2012
    We have to do this convoluted weekly I.T. report for the front office.

We try to throw as many big words on there as we can to confuse them.

I may or may not have thrown a S.H.I.E.L.D. reference in there.

Ludious on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I suspect that we'll see a Nick Fury movie go into production at some point.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Progress!

Khouri was hiding in the closet this morning, which means she isn't stuffed under a dresser, but is laying on a box behind a folded up blanket. I noticed her when I went to get a shirt and I gave her a couple chin scritchies. She immediately started purring. So I scritched some more before I left for work.

I've moved her food and water bowls outside of the room and into the hallway. So far she's continued eating and drinking even as I moved the bowls further and further away, but this is the first time since I brought her home that they've been outside the room. Guess I'll see how much progress we've made when I go home for lunch.

We have to do this convoluted weekly I.T. report for the front office.

We try to throw as many big words on there as we can to confuse them.

I may or may not have thrown a S.H.I.E.L.D. reference in there.

"I'll just conclude this presentation by reminding everyone that you don't have the IT department you need... you have the IT department you deserve."

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yay, my company is moving to Google from the inhouse mail/message/sign-in system we've been using for 40 years. We'll actually be able to search mail and save them in a non-idiotic manner

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    someone build me a cart on amazon of comics book TPBs. Marvel. Has to be a complete story, nothing in-the-middle-of-a-big-arch, all or nothing. No more than $50. Last time I had a comic subscription was Civil War. Holy shit that's been nearly 7 years.

@ludious

Sub-mariner: the Depths $15.59 (standalone story -- science vs the unknown, hubris, insanity)

Uncanny X-Force vol 1: the apocalypse solution $10.76 (one story arc, x-universe melodrama, x-force has had nothing but good art, ridiculous and amusing)

And/or

X-Force: Sex and Violence $10.19 (wolverine, domino, ninjas)

Alternate cool guy suggestion:

Parker: the hunter
    Parker: the outfit
    Asterios Polyp

:3

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ah, the charmed life of people who hear gunfire in the general area and are alarmed by it.

I got nervous on nights I DIDN'T hear gunfire

Nova_C wrote: »
    Progress!

Khouri was hiding in the closet this morning, which means she isn't stuffed under a dresser, but is laying on a box behind a folded up blanket. I noticed her when I went to get a shirt and I gave her a couple chin scritchies. She immediately started purring. So I scritched some more before I left for work.

I've moved her food and water bowls outside of the room and into the hallway. So far she's continued eating and drinking even as I moved the bowls further and further away, but this is the first time since I brought her home that they've been outside the room. Guess I'll see how much progress we've made when I go home for lunch.

Yay! Cats just take time. They get along with us 'cause both our species are indolent creatures of habit.

desc wrote: »

@ludious

Sub-mariner: the Depths $15.59 (standalone story -- science vs the unknown, hubris, insanity)

Uncanny X-Force vol 1: the apocalypse solution $10.76 (one story arc, x-universe melodrama, x-force has had nothing but good art, ridiculous and amusing)

And/or

Asterios Polyp

hmmm under consideration. Danke

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I have an important business meeting in Boston this morning at nine o'clock! And I forbid you to fly us into some WHISTLESTOP MAINE AIRPORT!!! DO YOU HEAR ME?!!

he he he

Lh96QHG.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yay, my company is moving to Google from the inhouse mail/message/sign-in system we've been using for 40 years. We'll actually be able to search mail and save them in a non-idiotic manner

It is glorious. If you need any help, let me know.

One of the best IT decisions I've made in any org was pushing us to google enterprise.

@Pantsb you'll want to get the app called Affixa for all your users... it'll launch Gmail from all those "mail to..." shortcuts in office and Windows menus.

@Thanatos the Houston Dynamo is sucking again. :(

I think it's the humidity. The ball doesn't fly properly something something physics.

grrrr

I wish our agency had gone to google instead of contracting out Exchange Servers.

Yes. We use Exchange. But they don't even let us manage it. They let a contractor handle it. When a new email is requested it can take up to a week to get it created.

And they went with third party archival via Symantec's email archiving.

It's just like

really? You chose the most inefficient route possible?

It's like your goal was across a bridge and you decided to drive down the riverside, find a group of feral beavers, befriend them, slowly train them over several generations of beavers, get them to build a bridge, light the bridge on fire, swim across, and drown.

desc wrote: »

@ludious

And/or

Asterios Polyp

hmmm under consideration. Danke

Everyone ignores my suggestion to get sub-mariner because who cares about Namor, but really it's not at all about him -- it's about the crew of an early submarine before super heroes are public and out there and what happens when dudes suspect there is some living guy out there in the water who is not just an old sailor's boogeyman.

Super cinematic and Ribic is a beast of an artist -- I have never seen better "I am slowly going crazy" eyes and faces in comics.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Do I need more dice? That is the question...

This discussion has been closed.