As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I like our old trader.

"Welcome to prop trading. You're either fucking someone over or getting fucked over. You get fucked over too much, we fire you. Always be the fuckor, not the fuckee."

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    That right there is pretty solid advice for a lot of things.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    UUUUUUUUgh.

One of our customers is using some janky chat client that does video, voice, file sharing, etc. and they wanted to know if their two customer service guys here could have it installed on their machines. Looked at the app, it's fine, I don't have any issues with it. But for the fucking life of me, it will not connect. We've fiddled with our firewall settings and at one point temporarily set everything open and still no dice. I decided to try it from home and it installed just fine, not a single issue.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FIREWALLS

The answer is:

"Unfortunately, no. We're not able to instal that particular chat client onto our CS rep's computers. It lacks the security we require while conducting business online. If you'd like, I can recommend some enterprise level chat programs that are more secure."

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The answer is:

"Unfortunately, no. We're not able to instal that particular chat client onto our CS rep's computers. It lacks the security we require while conducting business online. If you'd like, I can recommend some enterprise level chat programs that are more secure."

our IT department just goes "look customer service rep, you can install it yourself and try to get it to work, but we are not supporting it, as it is not required software to do your business."

which is fine, but it's also their excuse for not upgrading to windows 7. everyone is still on XP.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    Double edged sword, indeed.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The answer is:

our IT department just goes "look customer service rep, you can install it yourself and try to get it to work, but we are not supporting it, as it is not required software to do your business."

which is fine, but it's also their excuse for not upgrading to windows 7. everyone is still on XP.

I quite literally opened a computer with xp and started one program.

That was painful.

edited May 2012
    So so glad I was able to upgrade all the workstations here.

Win 7, 64 bit, minimum of 4GB RAM, i5s and 22inch dual monitors all around.

But still they complain about how slow they are.

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2012
    Up until a year ago you were rocking a Pentium 2 with 256MB on XP on a single 15in monitor.

Fuck yooooou

Abracadaniel on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    There is a salesman who refuses to upgrade Office past 2003. The Office 2007/2010 compatibility tool stopped opening more recent files on his computer, so he has other people open them, and convert them to an Office 2003 format.

He is going to be very upset when his computer is finally replaced an has Office 2010 installed. We no longer have 2003 in any form.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    interview went rather well

i had a panic attack just before i went in but managed to keep it under control

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I think it's probably because my work computer needs don't extend past MS Word and PowerPoint that the Core 2 Duo, 1gb ram and discrete ATi card running XP on dual 1920 x 1024 monitors works just fine for me. Of course, if i was running some engineering programs or anything else intensive I could see why a setup like mine would be like pulling teeth

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Our entire environment here is XP/2003. I have until the end of June to migrate our users to 2010. Should be fun, this office has a decent amount of luddites that abhor any sort of change. After that we will work on changing over to windows 7. Right now I have two VMs one XP and the other window's 7 for testing. The problem is getting our traders upgraded, thankfully our entire environment is virtualizated. No physical PCs only thin clients, so if someone's machine shits the bed, just a matter of assigning them a new one through mgmt console

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah, we started using the new version of office recently and we had people adamant that it was the end of days.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Nearly the entire company is on Windows 7 except a few diagnostic laptops that have Windows XP because the vendor refuses to update the program.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    My last day at this current project! Weird, I've been here for more than 2 years.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What do you actually do, Joe

2x39jD4.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    He's literally a red panda. He's just switching zoos.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    He's actually a hired killer, and compensates by spreading cuteness

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    What do you actually do, Joe

I'm a "consultant" generally speaking, but I do software architecture and development, focusing on .NET and other Microsoft technology.

Man he even put the consultant in quotation marks! What did I tell you!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Most of the workstations are running Office 2003

Because at some point we got a legit installer for X number of workstations and oh hey it doesn't do any kind of license check so it can literally be installed on all workstations ever and is.

Few people who can benefit from Office 2010 have it. It's decent.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    As computers become faster, it is my job as a data architect to make sure software and queries more cumbersome to offset productivity gains.

This is to keep jobs. You're welcome!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    As computers become faster, it is my job as a data architect to make sure software and queries more cumbersome to offset productivity gains.

all of our databases are excel spreadsheets

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Had an interview last week, thought it went pretty well, and it turns out it did!

They called yesterday, and want me to come in to meet the CEO and talk turkey.

The HR lady is out today, so I'll email her, and call on Monday.

Here's hopin' they don't lowball the salary.

edited May 2012
    Rolo wrote: »

At my last job, the sales people had an Excel spreadsheet stored on a server share. We would get calls once a day or so with a complaint that the program would lock up.

It was Excel attempting to autosave the few gigs of data over the network.

Yukira on
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

At myblast job, the sales people had an Excel spreadsheet stored on a server share. We would get calls once a day or so with a complaint that the program would lock up.

It was Excel attempting to autosave the few gigs of data over the network.

Well done to both of you. That is pretty much the pinnacle of data inaccuracy and slowness. Maybe store the data in an XML format within excel, if you need extra room to breathe.

The users refused to break up the one large file into smaller files.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I worked for a PhD Chemist that didn't realize that an excel file can have multiple worksheets. He saved each file as a single worksheet, even if he was carrying over calculations and data from one to another. The logic loops that came from his changes in one and the effects on others actually opened up a hole in space-time over the work site.

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    I worked for a PhD Chemist that didn't realize that an excel file can have multiple worksheets. He saved each file as a single worksheet, even if he was carrying over calculations and data from one to another. The logic loops that came from his changes in one and the effects on others actually opened up a hole in space-time over the work site.

A little spackle should cover that right up.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Soooooo who's got two thumbs and just got a second interview with a company in the bay area who controls all things ever?

This guyyyyyyy.

Nothing. Matters.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Awesome!

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Soooooo who's got two thumbs and just got a second interview with a company in the bay area who controls all things ever?

This guyyyyyyy.

:^:

nice

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Guess who's got two thumbs and after opening the fridge and trying to catch an errant rolling soda can dropped his pyrex container of lunch food on the ground having it shatter all over the place as soon as lunchtime rolled around?

This guyyyyyy.

DON'T EVEN CARE.

Nothing. Matters.
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Good luck, Aphostile!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    Way to go! Soon you will rule all!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Haha, good luck Aphostile! Hopefully next time you open the fridge there won't be such a shock!

oh and that interview thing, too. (You'll do great!)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    We will never stop using XP

Never ever

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Go apho!

This discussion has been closed.