As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• hellerphanthellerphant Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

So I sent off an email to the general enquiries section RE a press pass and they referred me to the media email. I've already sent them several emails with no reply, and now I've missed out on tickets so I really need to secure a media pass.

Is there a phone number or someone else I can email in regards to securing one? Don't want to take my chances to fly out from Australia to be stuck outside the convention centre :P

Media applications aren't open yet. You'll have to wait for them to be open before attempting to apply for a media badge.

Thanks so much for your help mate. It simply said CLOSED so I assumed that they had already handed out all the media passes.

I'll wait patiently!

• dustinbrownmandustinbrownman Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    So I was able to get my pass last week with the first vendor. I was charged and I got and mail confirmation from that vendor. However, after switching vendors, the site said I'd be receiving another confirmation from them sometime this week. I haven't gotten that yet. Has anyone else who registered with the first vendor received theirs? And if so, when? Now that passes are sold out I'm a little worried. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. I searched through this forum and haven't seen any responses related to this. Thanks everyone!!

Edit: I got it!!! Thank you all for your help!!

dustinbrownman on
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    So I was able to get my pass last week with the first vendor. I was charged and I got and mail confirmation from that vendor. However, after switching vendors, the site said I'd be receiving another confirmation from them sometime this week. I haven't gotten that yet. Has anyone else who registered with the first vendor received theirs? And if so, when? Now that passes are sold out I'm a little worried. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. I searched through this forum and haven't seen any responses related to this. Thanks everyone!!

I received my email confirmation that it was switched over on 4/27 at 3:22PM MST.

badge.png
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular

I got my re-confirmation confirmation email last Friday afternoon. Most people I'm aware of got theirs sometime last weekend. Try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and let them know you didn't get yours.

• UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    Uba wrote: »
    I have looked around and haven't seen the answer to my question, but I do apologize if this has been said and I simply did not find it.

I am a local student in Seattle and have been developing/will continue developing an independent game with a group from school. We are only creating the game to build up our portfolio and to show off in the hopes of getting a job :) That being said, our group was hoping to give out free copies of the game to anyone willing to take them, on cd/dvd formats, during the convention. Is this okay with pax? We are not registered as indie developers and have no intention of opening our own booth or anything, just some budding designers that want to give away a free game to anyone willing to try it out. Just wanna make sure this is okay with pax as if its not we will not do this at all. Also, if this is not okay, would passing out a flyer/business card be acceptable? Something to direct people towards the site where they can download the game.

Any and all answers are appreciated.

One sidenote to this: you might want to check out the buttoneering thread. It's not strictly promotional, but it's a social event at PAX and a lot of people put websites or twitter handles on their buttons. It's not a guaranteed marketing thing, but I know I've checked out people's sites or twitters after trading buttons with them, so it might be worth a shot.

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the info :)

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    In 2009 there was a thread about panels who needed help and we would help and in turn get a panel badge to be there to help. Is there going to be something like this of sorts? Because I have the useful basic knowledge of lights and sound systems and helped work at Sakuracon on dispatch and tear down last year.

I haven't seen anything pop up for that sort of thing in the last few years. So I'd say the chances are slim.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    That probably won't happen, but it does remind me: keep an eye on exhibitor companies, as many of them request volunteers to help with their Expo booths and they often provide badges in exchange. At PAX East, I know GameSalute, Wizards of the Coast, and Twisted Pixel all did this.

This isn't a guarantee that they'll do it again, but it's something to watch for.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

I got an email that said "You're in, but we haven't swtiched yet" and scanning the PAX twitter @ replies, seems to confirm they're still working on the switching part (since they're telling people thy can't log in yet if they bought on the old system.)

• MerlinzeroMerlinzero Registered User regular
    Merlinzero wrote: »
    Is anyone from PA monitoring Ebay or is that something that isnt going to happen? There are already tickets selling for 200+ out there. I'm thinking you sold out so quick because ebay companies bought all your tickets to sell at an increased rate online.

Same with Saturdays!!!

This isn't a customer service forum, "you" doesn't mean anything here :P

Also, read the reg thread, PA is pretty confident that it's not mass scalpers (not saying it's not /some/ scalpers, but they don't think it's a large percentage).

Sorry, should have used proper nouns. Penny Arcade instead of "you".

Either way, If a sell out (3-day passes) of a convention like this was 6 hours, it is just too incredible to believe.

FYI:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Information for if you registered under the old system. Currently you cannot log in to the new system with your old system's information to edit your registration. I got confirmation that this will be addressed within the next week or so, and we will receive yet another confirmation email that details our original registration as it gets transferred into the new system.
    We will be transferring the data early next week. You’ll get a new confirmation that you will be able to log in with and update your information. Thanks for your patience.

• awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    FYI:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Information for if you registered under the old system. Currently you cannot log in to the new system with your old system's information to edit your registration. I got confirmation that this will be addressed within the next week or so, and we will receive yet another confirmation email that details our original registration as it gets transferred into the new system.
    We will be transferring the data early next week. You’ll get a new confirmation that you will be able to log in with and update your information. Thanks for your patience.

Yeah, I got lost in the system because of this and wasn't able to check on the number of passes I got from the previous open registration. I lost out on a 3-day pass because of it. I didn't want to order another one and be stuck with an extra one that I couldn't get rid of. I've fired off a detailed email to pax_questions@paxsite.com to "hopefully" get this fixed & straightened out.

Doubt anything will happen because of this screw up, but it's worth a shot.

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    Booze Question:

I'm excited for the Pub Crawl this year (caCAW) but I know it's going to fill up quick. Is checking this board early and often the best way of keeping informed, or is there a Twitter / Facebook / SMS / Emergency Broadcast System I can have alert me to give me the best chance of getting a spot? This will be Sarah and I's first time going as a married couple, and I want to make sure my lady gets a proper drink.

Follow-up Question: Where my fifth years at.

AltDelete wrote: »
    Booze Question:

I'm excited for the Pub Crawl this year (caCAW) but I know it's going to fill up quick. Is checking this board early and often the best way of keeping informed, or is there a Twitter / Facebook / SMS / Emergency Broadcast System I can have alert me to give me the best chance of getting a spot? This will be Sarah and I's first time going as a married couple, and I want to make sure my lady gets a proper drink.

Follow-up Question: Where my fifth years at.

Checking the forums is still probably the best way. I'm sure that http://twitter.com/paxcommunity will tweet about it as well when it opens up, but it's not a perfect system.1

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I know Ravenclaw has a Twitter account, but I'm not sure if it'll tweet when the signups come up.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    Thanks. At this point it's important enough to me to bookmark the forum to my phone and check it a couple of times a day.

• ShatteredRealityShatteredReality Registered User regular
    I have a question about transferring registrations.

If I wanted to (now or down the road) attend pax this year I need to go to a third party and I am well aware at this point that PA/PAX takes no responsibility for fake passes sold (nor should they). In the first post of this thread there is a note about "transfering registration" by e-mailing pax_questions@paxsite.com.

If we do decide to buy tickets from a reseller is it appropriate to insist that the tickets be transfered via this method? I feel that this is the closest thing I can do to ensure I dont get scammed.

If this is not an option I will have to suggest a pass transfer option in the suggestions thread after the show. Also if this is a valid option I think it should be noted somewhere so those who are looking to buy tickets know they can be "verified".

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    I'm only answering the part I know the answer to.
    If this is not an option I will have to suggest a pass transfer option in the suggestions thread after the show. Also if this is a valid option I think it should be noted somewhere so those who are looking to buy tickets know they can be "verified".
    The only way you can be 100% sure that a badge being bought secondhand is legit is to take it to the Badge Check station (if we have one) or the Info Booth and the Enforcers there can verify if it is real or counterfeit. Any counterfeits will be confiscated (very probably).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    I have a question about transferring registrations.

If I wanted to (now or down the road) attend pax this year I need to go to a third party and I am well aware at this point that PA/PAX takes no responsibility for fake passes sold (nor should they). In the first post of this thread there is a note about "transfering registration" by e-mailing pax_questions@paxsite.com.

If we do decide to buy tickets from a reseller is it appropriate to insist that the tickets be transfered via this method? I feel that this is the closest thing I can do to ensure I dont get scammed.

Last year I believe (emphasis on Believe this is an IIRC thing) that people were exchanging the passwords for the order, logging in, changing all the mailing info and then setting a new password.
    Of course this method isn't exactly invulnerable to attack. I never logged in to see what could be changed, so it you can't prevent it from changing the email, you'd be screwed on that number. (Also I suppose in theory there's nothing to stop a malicious sell from emailing PAXquestions with their order number and claiming their having trouble getting in and having stuff rest again.) Additionally you'd have to do this before the passes were even mailed out, so there's nothing to stop the person from taking your cash and handing out bogus information.
    Basically AFAIK, if you're trying to avoid a malicious actor, your options may be fairly limited since malicious actors tend to have the upper hand in this sort of thing. You start seeing the problem with a "verified" transfer method when you consider all the possible avenues to get around it.

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    two questions. Question 1: I did a room reservation earlier and forgot my middle innitial on the card, and had to go back and fix it. How do i make sure OnPeak has the card information with my middle initial so I don't lose me room.
    Question 2: Reserved a king bed /w pullout from the Westin. Can let my friend or someone that needs space crash on the pullout without getting in "trouble"/having to pay more

sanovah on
    sanovah wrote: »
    two questions. Question 1: I did a room reservation earlier and forgot my middle innitial on the card, and had to go back and fix it. How do i make sure OnPeak has the card information with my middle initial so I don't lose me room.
    Question 2: Reserved a king bed /w pullout from the Westin. Can let my friend or someone that needs space crash on the pullout without getting in "trouble"/having to pay more

1) call OnPeak

2) you should reserve with OnPeak for the intended occupancy if you can.

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

1) call OnPeak

Yeah my friend is still deciding if he wants to go to pax or just come to Seattle for the weekend since he lives a couple towns away. So i just booked it for what I know will happen. I also think I fixed it. I went back into my "reservation" and edited the information to include my middle initial. Just want to be super sure cause i don't want to get there and find out i don't have a room

sanovah on

1) call OnPeak

Having said #2, it's pretty common knowledge in the hotel industry that people cheat on these things. Just know that if there's any problem (noise, whatever) this would give them sufficient cause to tell you to leave. (It reminds me of the PAX train post: We're not encouraging you to do X, but if you want to do X, here's the best way to do it.)

FWIW, it looks like at the Westin there's 0 cost to go from "One occupancy king with Pullout" to "2 occupancy king with pullout" so provided that's all you want to do, I'd just include that in your contact to OnPeak. (If I misread you and you actually have 3 people, see my above.)

• shirakawasunashirakawasuna Registered User new member
    I purchased Friday and Sunday passes separately and messed up my Sunday order with a typo in my email address (I was rushing). Who do I contact to get this corrected? I will need to change my shipping address before the passes are sent out.

Thanks!

• noodlefrenzynoodlefrenzy Registered User new member
    Hey there,

So I have an official "Hooray you bought badges" email from the original registration site (the exploding one), but haven't yet received an email from you folks saying "Hooray, we actually did receive your details from our feeble exploding registration provider". How can I confirm that I actually do have a pass? How can I confirm that you folks got your money?

Thanks!

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I purchased Friday and Sunday passes separately and messed up my Sunday order with a typo in my email address (I was rushing). Who do I contact to get this corrected? I will need to change my shipping address before the passes are sent out.

Thanks!
    Hey there,

So I have an official "Hooray you bought badges" email from the original registration site (the exploding one), but haven't yet received an email from you folks saying "Hooray, we actually did receive your details from our feeble exploding registration provider". How can I confirm that I actually do have a pass? How can I confirm that you folks got your money?

Thanks!

E-mail pax_questions@paxsite.com
    They will get you all sorted out.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • chexieeschexiees Registered User new member
    When are badges mailed to Canada (FedEx international option); and when can the option to add the FedEx shipping to an order occur (is there a cutoff date for the international mailing)?

Sorry if this was already answered...tried searching for it >_<

Thanks!
    xx

chexiees wrote: »
    When are badges mailed to Canada (FedEx international option); and when can the option to add the FedEx shipping to an order occur (is there a cutoff date for the international mailing)?

Sorry if this was already answered...tried searching for it >_<

Thanks!
    xx

I'm not sure if you can add the shipping after the fact. You can email pax_questions@paxsite.com to find out for sure. As far as for when they're mailed, it's usually two weeks before the show.

Hey there,

Thanks!

Not that it's anything official, but I haven't gotten my email about the tranfered data either. As of just a few days ago the tweats in their stream still seemed to imply it'd be about a week. (Or "this week" I can't really tell. In either case, the wife and I ordered our badges seperate, and neither of us got emails yet.)

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I guess 2012 won't be my first PAX.

I find this especially disheartening being that I have been a resident of Washington State for over 30 years.

Why haven't you gone to PAX before 2012, you say? Money. I never had any money that wasn't already being spent on food and gas.

Fast forward to 2012, to when I finally have some money. Unfortunately, this time PAX tickets sold out in record time.

What about the rest of us who have wanted to experience PAX for the first time?

I guess this is just another lesson about the unfairness of life.

• shirakawasunashirakawasuna Registered User new member
    Thanks SkeleVader!

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    THIS IS A QUESTION AND ANSWER THREAD.

Please do not post here telling us you got a confirmation email, or your dog died, or about how you are sad you didn't get tickets.

Please keep this on topic.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Slider wrote: »
    off-topic stuff

Hey, I get that you're disappointed that passes sold out really fast. But this is the FAQ-Q/A thread. If you're not asking or answering a question, please don't post here.

E6LkoFK.png

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I asked a question:

What about the rest of us who wanted to experience PAX for the first time?

Are we supposed to pay $275 for a 3-day ticket?

Slider on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Try again next year. It sounds harsh, but the fact of the matter is is that demand is far greater than supply when it comes to PAX, which means that no matter what sort of registration system they have, someone's going to lose out. Going into who "deserves" to go will just make things a whole lot worse than they are now.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    I asked a question:

What about the rest of us who wanted to experience PAX for the first time?

Are we supposed to pay $275 for a 3-day ticket?

What do you want people to say? It's sold out, dude. It sucks that you missed out this year, but there are thousands of other people that didn't make it. They can't accommodate everyone that wants to attend. Everyone had the same opportunity as everyone else to buy tickets. Nothing unfair about it.

• Cthulhu CalamariCthulhu Calamari Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is there enough of a fan base north of the line to have a Canadian PAX ("X du PA"?) in Vancouver? If there are so many people who want to get into PAX Prime, does that mean that there are enough people close enough to Van that that's a viable option?

I know that this would really spread Mike & Jerry (& the rest of their team) out pretty thin, but there is also the flip side of there being so many game developers in the city (not to mention some of the other PA TV contributers) that content could be split on the line. (Don't hate me; just a suggestion!) Moreover, Vancouver strikes me as a far more tourism-oriented city which could mean better access to accommodation, etc.

Thoughts? Is this too close to PAX Prime? Would it be (theoretically) better held in Toronto? That seems pretty close to PAX East, and would involve more jet lag for everyone based in Washington state.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is there enough of a fan base north of the line to have a Canadian PAX ("X du PA"?) in Vancouver? If there are so many people who want to get into PAX Prime, does that mean that there are enough people close enough to Van that that's a viable option?

I know that this would really spread Mike & Jerry (& the rest of their team) out pretty thin, but there is also the flip side of there being so many game developers in the city (not to mention some of the other PA TV contributers) that content could be split on the line. (Don't hate me; just a suggestion!) Moreover, Vancouver strikes me as a far more tourism-oriented city which could mean better access to accommodation, etc.

Thoughts? Is this too close to PAX Prime? Would it be (theoretically) better held in Toronto? That seems pretty close to PAX East, and would involve more jet lag for everyone based in Washington state.

This has been asked a bunch at Q&As, and the general answer is that there's unlikely to be another new PAX in North America any time soon. They've said if they do ever do a third PAX (which is by no means guaranteed) Europe is the most likely location.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Given the fact that Registration sold out for Prime in hours? How does it look for PAX East next year? I am very afraid of having badge sales announced while I am at work and being S.O.L by the time I get home.

Also Given that PAX Prime is growing exponentially, will PAX be forced out of Seattle because of lack of a venue space big enough. Anyone thinking PAX 20XX - Vegas or PAX 20XX - San Diego

Ricin

Ricin on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ricin wrote: »
    Given the fact that Registration sold out for Prime in hours? How does it look for PAX East next year? I am very afraid of having badge sales announced while I am at work and being S.O.L by the time I get home.

Also Given that PAX Prime is growing exponentially, will PAX be forced out of Seattle because of lack of a venue space big enough. Anyone thinking PAX 20XX - Vegas or PAX 20XX - San Diego

Ricin

There's no guarantee that East won't sell out fast, but I don't think it's likely to happen in a matter of hours, like Prime did. I like East, and I'm a native East coaster, but Prime is... Prime. There's always going to be more demand for it, especially as it takes place near the same time as Gamescom in Germany. A lot of places make one focus demo for Gamescom and PAX, so there's a bit more spectacle at Prime a lot of the time, and there are some guests who usually only make Prime, etc.

Whether or not PAX Prime will move is something we can't know. There are a lot of good reasons to keep it in Seattle, but the possibility of moving has been mentioned. From the tone of the nonspecific answers we've been given, I'd say that there's no chance that it will move next year, and there's some chance that it might move in the future, but by no means is it certain or even probable.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Cthulhu CalamariCthulhu Calamari Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    They've said if they do ever do a third PAX (which is by no means guaranteed) Europe is the most likely location.

Have they thought about staggering it, World Cup/Olympic style? Every 2-4 years they do a PAX in another area? I'm sure they could find enough volunteers for Enforcement, they advertise themselves & they could (guaranteed) sell out any country they decided to go to.

This discussion has been closed.