As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I wish someone would explain to Brothers that just because he has ideological disagreements with Morrison, that doesn't mean he has to leap up and down shouting "Nuh-uh! And also your face is stupid and you smell of poopy!" every fucking time Morrison opens his mouth.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

And I think Ethan Van Sciver is another openly conservative creator.

Yup.

He got mighty ticked off at some of the politics discussions on the ol Geoff John forums back in the day since you know Obama was the golden boy at the time which apparently infuriated him behind the scenes.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wish someone would explain to Brothers that just because he has ideological disagreements with Morrison, that doesn't mean he has to leap up and down shouting "Nuh-uh! And also your face is stupid and you smell of poopy!" every fucking time Morrison opens his mouth.

I'm pretty sure that this is happening because Brothers used to be just about the biggest Morrison fan I've ever seen, and has become very disillusioned with Morrison recently; I think the breaking point was when Morrison said something along the lines of "I'm not really worried about DC's treatment about Shuster and Siegel because when I'm writing Superman, I'm writing a character who will outlive all of us", and Brothers is a huge proponent of creator rights. This is kind of like your idol saying "Nah, the shit you think is important is dumb". I imagine the reason Brothers gets so heated up whenever Morrison says something, now, is because he used to love the guy.

Incidentally, I agree with Brothers's article, for the most part. I think Morrison is fixated on superheroes - they are a bit of an end-all, be-all for him - and has been for a long time. That's fine; his perceptions are informed by his childhood experiences and the idea's he's had since that that built upon those experiences. I like a lot of his ideas because they're kind of optimistic and hope-creating, and because they treat superheroes as modern mythology, which is an idea I like (and which is at least partially true). At the same time, I see them a bit like a useful, beautiful lie, like Bokononism. His upbeat ideas make me feel good, even though I don't think they're exactly true.

I don't think that they're Western civilization's last gasp at beauty or the future, though. Things are always bad and society is always at a decline and morals are always degrading and the current generation is surely the one that will fuck up and end the world - and all of that has been true for the last 2000 years. I think we'll be fine.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    David Brothers' opinion is kind of miserable

as in he doesn't just like things that are cynical, he dislikes things that are optimistic

and I mean, I can get behind cynical comics. I've read and loved plenty of them, recently I very much enjoyed Supergod for example.

But at the same time, being optimistic is good as well, and when it comes to characters like Superman, it's pretty much necessary.

As for Brother's thing about growing up under the shadow of Bush and Reagan, Grant Morrison was in his twenties when Thatcher was in power.

So that's a pretty bullshit reason, really.

Solar wrote: »
    David Brothers' opinion is kind of miserable

Do you mean in general, or in the particular post? I haven't really read 4thletter on a regular basis for a couple of years, only when an article gets linked to from somewhere else, so I can't really judge what his current outlook is like. If you mean in this particular article, I'm not sure I see what's so miserable about it.

The particular post

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    McFarlane paid Gaiman 1.1 million for the Spawn lawsuit settlement

Did Gaiman get that much? Probably half if that, but that amount was disclosed in Todd McFarlane Inc's bankruptcy papers.

edited May 2012
    This is interesting. Comic shop not stocking Before Watchmen except for pull lists

It seems to have even been heated for the shop to decide, but that's one of the bigger money where your mouth is instances in recent memory. They will pull issues if their customers want them, so it's not completely denying you the right to the issue, they just aren't going to have any on the shelf.

TexiKen on
    April statistics are out, Marvel won both market and dollar share with a normal distance from DC, by about 5 points for each. AvX helped the regular flagship Marvel titles take down the Aquaman giant.

Top 10 comics:
    1 AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #2
    2 BATMAN #8
    3 JUSTICE LEAGUE #8
    4 AVX VS #1
    5 GREEN LANTERN #8
    6 ACTION COMICS #8
    7 DETECTIVE COMICS #8
    8 BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #8
    9 UNCANNY X-MEN #11
    10 AVENGERS #25 $3.99

Top 10 trades, which should just be Walking Dead list:
    1 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 1: DAYS GONE BYE TP
    2 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 2: MILES BEHINDUS TP
    3 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 3: SAFETY BEHIND BARS TP
    4 FLEX MENTALLO: MAN OF MUSCLE AND MYSTERY DELUXE HC
    5 CHEW VOL. 5: MAJOR LEAGUE CHEW TP
    6 CINDERELLA: FABLES ARE FOREVER TP (MR)
    7 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 5: BEST DEFENSE TP
    8 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 15: WE FIND OURSELVES TP
    9 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 4: HEARTS DESIRE TP
    10 THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 6: SORROWFUL LIFE TP

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Who is buying The Dark Knight??

Also I'm kind of surprised how well AvX Vs. sold.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Who is buying The Dark Knight??

Also I'm kind of surprised how well AvX Vs. sold.

The Avengers movie might have something to do with it. Having a cross-over with the X-men is another built-in reason for good sales.

Harry Dresden on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #12 will have art by Chris Bachalo, not Nick Bradshaw as solicited
    Even though we have preview art of 12 which is clearly Bradshaw??

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #12 will have art by Chris Bachalo, not Nick Bradshaw as solicited

I think the Bradshaw preview was #11

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb

I'm not familiar with that term

edited May 2012
    It's where the interior pages and the cover are all the same paper. Cover stock goes down in quality, paper stock goes up a bit

Current DC and $4 Marvel books have a nice shiny cover with different, better paper inside. This self cover really stands out on shelves because it's more matte than existing cover. Down here in Texas the humidity creates waves in the paper and it has a higher chance to smudge if you're hands stay in one place too long.

If you can't go back to the paper that Vertigo still uses, this would be the next step up.

TexiKen on
    Diamond has their top 100 for April out

Ultimates only doing 24k makes me :(:(:(:(:(

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wow I'm surprised that Cinderalla trade is in the top ten. I got my copy last week but haven't read it yet. I did read the first one and it was great so hopefully the second one is just as good.

As a side note I don't get why some say the Fables series took a dive in quality after volume 11. I'm just about to read volume 16 and so far I think it's retained the same quality. Keep in mind I skipped the crossover story with Jack of Fables.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    It might be better than that, those are the sales index, not the sales numbers. Diamond bases everything off of Batman and never discloses actual sales numbers, so when ICv2 get their numbers out it might be higher.

For instance, Batman #7 sold 127k, and with #8 being the event starter it might be up a bit, let's say 140k, so 24% of that would be 33,600, which is around what it was selling in March (Batman might have sold less than that looking at standard Ultimates attrition). Keep hope alive!

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular

It is awesome seeing Snyder's Batman so high on the charts, and beating out Justice League. Also interesting to see that AvX #1 didn't drop nearly as far as people predicted, with it being on 2 months.

edited May 2012
    Ahh I see. ICv2 have released that AvX #2 did 158 650, which based on the sales index would place Ultimates at around 31 330, which is def better (though not really rep of the quality of the book :/). This would also mean Batman #8 did around 130 598.

edit: looks like ICv2 did already too http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22842.html

UltimateInferno on

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I can't decide if I like Bachalo more than Bradshaw or the other way 'round. It's win win win!

Edit: I like Bachalo more.

Caveman Paws on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's where the interior pages and the cover are all the same paper. Cover stock goes down in quality, paper stock goes up a bit

Current DC and $4 Marvel books have a nice shiny cover with different, better paper inside. This self cover really stands out on shelves because it's more matte than existing cover. Down here in Texas the humidity creates waves in the paper and it has a higher chance to smudge if you're hands stay in one place too long.

If you can't go back to the paper that Vertigo still uses, this would be the next step up.

It scary how dry it gets here in Albuquerque. I have bought comics from people from the east and get them with a curve or starting to cruve. I jsut bought a box to store all the ones I have picked up in the last year I left in just a open shipping box and how flat and crisp they still are {no bag just the comics stacked side by side in a box}

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    You live in Albuquerque? What's your usual LCS?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Um Hastings, then sadly Nobles and Kaboom Labs usually it's just Hastings but then because a lot of people don't carry or carry it small amounts the Icon? Vergito comics I just get them online

I used to go to Tall Tales but I have not been on that side of town in two or three years

Ugh. Both Noble stores suck. Never been to Kaboom, and I haven't been on the westside in a couple months.

There's at least eight stores (not counting Hastings) here, but yeah, they're concentrated on this side (I go to Tall Tales, but will make trips to Comics Warehouse). I gotta find you someplace good.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Mike Allred's going to be doing some work at Marvel.

I apparently missed this, but someone at the SA comics forums said Allred sent a letter in to Daredevil, saying he'd like to do some work on the book.

Which would be fucking. Amazing.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Man, I love Allred's art. I still need to buy his X-force/X-Statix stuff and some Madman. I really loved the art in Madman, but the comics I read were a bit too mopey for me.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

It is awesome seeing Snyder's Batman so high on the charts, and beating out Justice League. Also interesting to see that AvX #1 didn't drop nearly as far as people predicted, with it being on 2 months.

Seeing Daniels' shitty Bat-book beat out the infinitely superior B&R makes me want to throw something against a wall.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Allred drawing with Marc Waid writing? Best Marvel comic of all time.

Munch wrote: »
    Mike Allred's going to be doing some work at Marvel.

I apparently missed this, but someone at the SA comics forums said Allred sent a letter in to Daredevil, saying he'd like to do some work on the book.

Which would be fucking. Amazing.

Yeah. That was in DD #11.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I am not familiar with his work by name so i will google him and OH MY GOD YES.

I feel like that style would be a good fit for DD actually.

This is my trade scenario:

Allred and Rivera on DD.
    trade Samnee to Dark Avengers to work with Shalvey.
    Kev Walker moves up to Uncanny with Pacheco.

Greg Land is let go on wavers.

Land is traded to DC for Keith Giffen, Scott Snyder, and Rags Morales.

DC is the Dan Snyder of comics.

Allred's stuff looks pretty cool

nothing that really grabs me, but it is nice, and would fit DD given the previous artist and tone of the current book

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Solar, now I'm going to have to dig out the Mike Allred issue of SOLO, to show you what's what.

Nation_X_001_012_013.jpg

This is one of the best comics pages I have ever seen.

edited May 2012
    It is pretty cool, not the best ever

I mean, like, I am not trying to shit on the dude

it is a cool page

I just don't care for it as much as you guys

Solar on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Was that Strange Tales or the Nation X mini?

Both are rad, and if they are up on the new Marvel digital store, I should pick them up.

Edit: Bah! The filename answered that one for me!

HadjiQuest on
This discussion has been closed.