As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I really don't agree with Viv's article at all.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    yeah i'm disagreeing like whoa with ME not being an RPG for the same reason what'shisface just did

the "role' part doesn't just mean in combat

you're literally playing a character, deciding what they'd say and do in a given moment

the me series does that in spades

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    even ignoring that role means character wise

I feel like the classes of Mass Effect count

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Another good article from Vivi.

I don't really understand how Mass Effect isn't an RPG, though.

I guess I disagree with her definition of a role-playing game. Role-playing can also mean putting yourself into a character role, which is something ME lets you do and WoW pretty much doesn't. There are roles in combat but you can also view it as a role an actor plays.

i don't think her definition is meant to hold in all contexts

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    well I mean if you boil down RPG to mean "playing a role" then doesn't that encompass basically every single video game except tetris and even then maybe tetris

0BnD8l3.gif
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    well I mean if you boil down RPG to mean "playing a role" then doesn't that encompass basically every single video game except tetris and even then maybe tetris

not true

you're not really deciding what or who your character is in most games

in prototype 2 james heller is always going to be a barely restrained violent psychopath whose powers are A B and C and the upgrades are X Y and Z

you can choose what you do with those powers but not what the powers are or how they develop or anything

as opposed to WoW where the combat definition of RPG comes in with the skill trees and what not or Mass Effect with the skill trees (kinda) and the character side of things

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    It is, largely, a completely arbitrary and subjective definition

I generally cop-out by talking about "RPG mechanics", like by saying that a game from X genre with character advancement has "RPG mechanics" rather than saying it's an out-and-out roleplaying game

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    yeah the label of "role-playing game" is essentially valueless like saying something fits the monomyth mold bam

but games traditionally defined as "role-playing games" have a certain set of mechanics inherited from forebears long dead that really needs a new name

0BnD8l3.gif
    ...also I sometimes feel like we should be bringining these conversations to the article's attached comment thread, or MD's forums.

Whatever! Discourse is discourse

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    it's not my fault I've been conditioned to ignore comment sections and official forums

0BnD8l3.gif
    yeah the label of "role-playing game" is essentially valueless like saying something fits the monomyth mold bam

but games traditionally defined as "role-playing games" have a certain set of mechanics inherited from forebears long dead that really needs a new name

your mother doesn't fit the monomyth mold

because she's fat

Edcrab wrote: »
    ...also I sometimes feel like we should be bringining these conversations to the article's attached comment thread, or MD's forums.

both are pretty terrible at the moment. something i am constantly wondering how to fix

If only you knew a cadre of fascist power-mad lunactics articulate literate types willing to moderate things

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png

both are pretty terrible at the moment. something i am constantly wondering how to fix

put the word "official" in the link in quotes and just redirect it to this thread

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Another good article from Vivi.

I don't really understand how Mass Effect isn't an RPG, though.

I guess I disagree with her definition of a role-playing game. Role-playing can also mean putting yourself into a character role, which is something ME lets you do and WoW pretty much doesn't. There are roles in combat but you can also view it as a role an actor plays.

i don't think her definition is meant to hold in all contexts

Thinking about it more you may be right. It's not a role playing game in the context of what she is talking about.

If only you knew a cadre of fascist power-mad lunactics articulate literate types willing to moderate things

i know, i mean more from a UI standpoint. my web dev is working on the mainsite redesign at the moment, hopefully then we can go to a decent forum theme

Ahh, fair enough. Is it feasible to tie article comment trees to the forums in some way? I know of news sites/blogs where the two are inextricably linked

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Ahh, fair enough. Is it feasible to tie article comment trees to the forums in some way? I know of news sites/blogs where the two are inextricably linked

it is in some respects, but they're separate databases.

honestly if the only thing i had to do was MD it'd have been done weeks ago, but it's tough balancing grad school & being a visionary douchebag

Preaching to the flock, Ori

Preaching to the douchebag flock

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    There's an MD forum?

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah, but it's invite only

I'm slowly uploading a decent theme and making the link public.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

this is the definition I was using

Not what is a game where you play a role

But an RPG as defined by the genre and industry

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

I would love to hear exactly why, since I wasn't actually making a point but rather exploring a concept.

even ignoring that role means character wise

I feel like the classes of Mass Effect count

But the classes are not traditional and you can theoretically roll with any set of squad mates and make it through a mission. Some combinations may be harder, but they are feasible.

This is not true in traditional RPGs, like Planescape: Torment. Just about everyone who wasn't a healer themselves had to roll with Fall From Grace or you'd wipe in no time flat.

Same with holy trinity MMOs, where certain classes or roles HAVE to be present for the party to succeed.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I would love to hear exactly why, since I wasn't actually making a point but rather exploring a concept.

I disagree with the byline, "Ms. Chan"

or should I say

HARRY THE HYPNOTIST

xmassig2.gif
    :o

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Admit it! You wrote that article to get the deed to the farm! Because of the diamond mine!

Take him away, boys.

xmassig2.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    what just happened?

I solved the mystery.

He would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those melding kids.

xmassig2.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I solved the mystery.

I'm always amazed by the Harry the Hypnotist episode of Scooby Doo. Didn't they just pull the culprit out of their asses there? Like it was some guy who'd never appeared before the reveal?

What the hell was that about?

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

A whole gang of meldings, huh?
    (also a great dane)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    the horror.

my favorite part about the new scooby doo cartoon that wasn't fred's trap fetish or scooby being jealous of velma when her and shaggy start dating was that it kept riffing on meddling kids

IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU INTERLOPING YOUTHS was my fave

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    zoinks

oh many Mystery Inc got a second season

starts this month fuck yeah

i lost track of that show, i should probably catch up

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_rUF5i_jI

It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

Look at how much fun he is having.

So, just out of interest, are we supposed to have a link to Hollywood Murder at the bottom of the forum?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.