As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Bookshelves suck because last I checked you have to click on them. Containers aren't worth more trouble than throwing off an extra AoE attack as you walk by.

The pedistals that drop the journals in the cathedral also have to be clicked on, but are worth it since the books give you exp.
    I don't know if it changed, but the last time I checked, the experience was pretty minuscule by the time you're level 3 or so. I think it was only like 120 or 200 for a book. Not that you shouldn't click them for the lore and completion and whatnot, but from what I noticed the XP was so little it was like killing one monster -- not really worth slowing down for.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Bookshelves suck because last I checked you have to click on them. Containers aren't worth more trouble than throwing off an extra AoE attack as you walk by.

The pedistals that drop the journals in the cathedral also have to be clicked on, but are worth it since the books give you exp.
    I don't know if it changed, but the last time I checked, the experience was pretty minuscule by the time you're level 3 or so. I think it was only like 120 or 200 for a book. Not that you shouldn't click them for the lore and completion and whatnot, but from what I noticed the XP was so little it was like killing one monster -- not really worth slowing down for.
    The xp on those scales with your level p. sure. But yeah not exactly a good source of exp.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular

What NGN said. Ive gotten 750ish exp from one of the leoric books before. Obviously not a huge amount in the overall scheme, but still helps.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Oh, also, some mob stats for comparison between the difficulties.
    Come from the strat guide apparently.
    Skeleton King
    Normal: Lv.8, 1800HP
    Nightmare: Lv.33, 123,250HP
    Hell: Lv.52, 2,471,100HP
    Inferno: Lv.61, 15,717,300HP :D

There's also a section with a couple of normal monsters. Here's a sample stats of one:

Armaddon (appears in act IV)
    Normal: lv.29, 1200-1700hp damage per hit: 443
    Nightmare: lv.49, 12k-17k hp damage per hit: 3445
    Hell: lv.60, 54k-76k HP damage per hit: 14k
    Inferno: lv.63, 306-428k HP damage per hit: 170k (!) :D

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Why wouldn't you pick them up? They're one-time loot, they get added to your journal permanently.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woah.

Hope you're packing a metric shit load of damage mitigation...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    170K? Wha?

edited May 2012
    Debuffs and buffs.

25% monster damage debuffs from some skills turns 170k into 127.5 then your own damage reductions from armor, you start with around 30% so that's 89k then your own damage reduction buffs besides armor etc....

You're also going to have a lot of health.

Alternatively, don't get hit!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    That's so much damage.

I WANT TO PLAY RIGHT NOW.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
    Looking at those numbers again, the HP pools at least, seem to be lower than what they actually are at least in normal. SK in the beta had 2400 Hp after the buffed normal.

steam_sig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Debuffs and buffs.

25% monster damage debuffs from some skills turns 170k into 127.5 then your own damage reductions from armor, you start with around 30% so that's 89k then your own damage reduction buffs besides armor etc....

You're also going to have a lot of health.

Alternatively, don't get hit!

If you dodge everything you're totally fine

Or get your block rate up

Block is another percentage reduction. But shields have redic armor stats so you get an innate reduction without the chance factor.

sirtoons.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Looking at those numbers again, the HP pools at least, seem to be lower than what they actually are at least in normal. SK in the beta had 2400 Hp after the buffed normal.

Yeah, if those numbers are from the official guide they're wrong by default...

Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, if those numbers are from the official guide they're wrong by default...

They only buffed normal though. So the rest should be right.

steam_sig.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MMAgCh wrote: »
    So I've been playing through Diablo 1 the last few days. Such a different feel than 2 had. It's like Alien and Aliens.
    This is an amazing comparison and I shall be using it whenever the opportunity arises.

(I was, and still am to a degree, into Diablo big time, though. Who would've guessed?)

I personally like Diablo 1 way more than 2. D2 added some refinements that I think were good, but I just find a lot of the atmosphere that made D1 so great is just gone.

Also, my personal theory - D2's biggest omission from D1 is doors. There are *some* but not many. It sounds crazy, but that feeling in D1 of opening a door and seeing like 20 skeleton archers behind it, or the Butcher yelling at you for the first time, or what have you. That awesome feeling just doesn't really exist in D2. There is no surprise. You see the monsters from a mile away and everything is so open usually that it's easy to run away from them. You may move like a led balloon in D1, but that slowness adds an interesting element of danger. It's harder to get away from enemies (especially really fast ones like Diablo).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    That's so much damage.

I WANT TO PLAY RIGHT NOW.

We're only a few weeks or so away from "HOLY SHIT, I DIED OT THE FIRST MOB ON INFERNO, WTF BLIZZ!?"

This talk about numbers made me go play with the Skill Builder. I've got my monk build down for Inferno, I think. Very defensive while still being strong offensively.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WVifjh!ZdU!cZYYbZ

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Strategy guide preview with those Inferno stats and a few spoilers here:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1191-official-bradygames-diablo-iii-ipad-strategy-guide-preview/

The increase in monster HP and damage from hell to inferno is nuts. Oh, and (monster affix spoiler)
    lightening enchanted enemies are back.

Suckafish wrote: »

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1191-official-bradygames-diablo-iii-ipad-strategy-guide-preview/

The increase in monster HP and damage from hell to inferno is nuts. Oh, and (monster affix spoiler)

Not really a spoiler. They were in beta for a while.

steam_sig.png

They were in early beta

They were like, 1/4th as scary as arcane enchanted.

sirtoons.png

They were in early beta

They were like, 1/4th as scary as arcane enchanted.

Oh god the original Arcane Enchanted with the Arcane Hydras ohgodnonoononononononono

steam_sig.png
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Okay. I was only in for the open weekend and didn't see any. Nightmarish and teleport were the only affixes I remember seeing.

Still, the thought of facing a pack of elites with that affix + 3 more in inferno as a melee character is... uh... fairly daunting.

edited May 2012
    Waller/Jailer/Arcane

No escaping the laser sprinklers

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    What does arcane enchanted do?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Arcane Enchanted suck nuts.

Why wouldn't you pick them up? They're one-time loot, they get added to your journal permanently.
    I'm saying they're not really "worth it" for the XP purposes. The amount is so little you hardly notice. They're worth it for other reasons, obviously.

What does arcane enchanted do?
    Old arcane enchanted used to create arcane hydras after being damages, they did ridiculous amounts of aoe damage.

The new ones create balls of arcane energy that create a beam that spins around, if you come into contact with it you take a not insignificant amount of damage.

sirtoons.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Diablo 1s music must be iconic, it sounds just like what Torchlight has.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Hmm, so are we looking at health pools over 100k in Inferno? Or are those Armaddons just going to be one-shot machines?

Monster affixes: shit, just the idea of plain old Nightmarish mobs in Inferno has me scared. Being unable to control your character for a few seconds at a level that is designed to kill you almost instantly sounds pretty brutal.

And dont be fooled by the new ones. They can drop a lot on you at once

mGTKl.jpg

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    I want to see the Mortar affix in action, or whatever it's called.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess there are old videos of it. Kind of underwhelming (or at least it was a few months ago).

forty on
  • MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I personally like Diablo 1 way more than 2. D2 added some refinements that I think were good, but I just find a lot of the atmosphere that made D1 so great is just gone.
    As was said somewhere, in D1 it always felt like the monsters were hunting you, as opposed to D2 which frankly was a Super Monster Genocide Extravaganza. Granted, sorcerors (sic!) flinging spells around detracted from this aspect somewhat, but overall warriors and rogues played rather like lone guerrillas desperately whittling down the hordes of Hell whereas D2 pretty much just made every character a one-man army that could carve through any opposition with fairly little trouble. That the entire atmosphere of D1 simply was darker helped, of course – D2 had a few suitably forlorn environments like the plains of Hell or some of the dungeons, but like you said the entire mood of the game was just different. Even most of the monsters weren't as physically imposing.

Additionally, to me at least, D1 just was much more tactical in nature. (Yes yes, for a hack'n'slash game. Get off my back!) Between its noticeably slower general pace and the checkerboard-type grid system it used, there was a measured, almost turn-based feel to it which D2 pretty much abandoned entirely in favour of faster monsters! more monsters! and wildly destructive AoE skills that were anything but subtle. (And before anyone brings it up, I put a ton of hours into D2 and enjoyed it as well. A markedly different game compared to its predecessor, though.)

How D3 is going to turn out in this regard, I don't know yet. It looks to be hearkening back to the original game in some ways at least, which is nice, and from what I've seen there's going to be a greater emphasis on approaching rare/champion packs carefully rather than nuking them from orbit, to return to that analogy. In some two weeks we'll find out for sure, I suppose.

Two weeks... :(

If you read that strategy guide preview stuff too closely it'll spoil some later acts stuff for you.

sirtoons.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Hmm. I'm planning on getting up just before launch and playing maybe 20 hours. But I don't think that would be enough to get to 60 and 8 hours of sleep then would probably ruin the attempt.

After advice of penny arcaders, and somewhat of an exploit I've learned of, we've changed our goal to world first inferno clear. Because of how hard I believe inferno will be, we are going to pace ourselves and aim for a 2 week clear.

Also, I think a 2-3 player party will be optimal. In 4 player; mobs only have 325% health vs 400% damage, but the coordination it will take and the time for 1 player to take down 1 mob is gonna make inferno even MORE difficult. SO yeah, just 1 more poopsocker would be great, so feel free to add me. Champion#1479

I'm only taking 3 days off from work... and prefer to use a toilet. Also I'm pretty sure that there's going to be some people hot-swapping accounts while sleeping to get "world-first". I think I'll stick to simply playing D3 a lot.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    What's this exploit you've learned of and what makes you think it will be in at launch?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    This talk about numbers made me go play with the Skill Builder. I've got my monk build down for Inferno, I think. Very defensive while still being strong offensively.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WVifjh!ZdU!cZYYbZ

I've got a very similar playstyle in mind, but my build's a bit different.

Have a look at this, and tell me what you think:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdXgfQ!ZUY!ZbYYac

Infused With Light on Breath of Heaven allows me to generate a lot of Spirit fairly quickly, and none of my abilities cost much to cast. If you've got Eye of the Storm on Cyclone Strike, the damage-to-spirit ratio is actually pretty respectable (comparative to Wave of Light, and much more versatile). Cyclone Strike ends up being the bread-and-butter of the build, basically; clumps up enemies and burns them down with consistent AoE damage.

Crippling Wave, along with Concussion, and the passive ability Resolve, makes for a pretty potent source of damage reduction. Defenses are further bolstered by ... pretty much everything in the build. I'm especially fond of Transcendence right now, to be honest. I wasn't always, but it's absolutely grown on me over the past few weeks. As long as you're constantly spending spirit, you'll be constantly regenerating HP (and this is on top of Mantra of Healing). Every time I hit Cyclone Strike at level 60 (which will be constantly), I'll be regenerating 1800+ HP.

Seems solid to me, but I'm anxious to put it through its paces.

This game needs to come out like, right now.

[edit] I plan on using a Shield, by the way, which is why this build lacks Guardian's Path.

milk ducks on
    All this talk of Monk healing lately has made me wonder how healing abilities scale. Obviously they heal more at higher levels, but do they scale with anything else? Maybe a special +healing item modifier? There's got to be some way to increase your healing output, or healing abilities will become less and less effective as you progress further into Inferno and get gear with better stats (i.e., more vitality/bigger health pools).

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Why can't they scale with weapon damage?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Maybe player HP doesn't go up as fast as player damage.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
This discussion has been closed.