As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E PbP] Dragon Slayers: OOC Thread

GrogGrog My sword is only steelin a useful shape.Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Critical Failures
dPNir.jpg

Some are born to wealth. Some must toil all their lives for it. Others gain it by chance, or trickery. But these heroes earn their coin by slaying gigantic winged beasts more ancient than the civilizations of men.

They are the
Dragon Slayers.

And when they heard the king was offering unimaginable wealth to whoever cleared the Dragonhalls of it's scaly residents, they knew what had to be done.

Dramatis Personae:

Steelhawk as Kothargix Kepix, Kobold Sorcerer.

Aegis as Evanche, Adept of the Whispers of Hoar, Tiefling Invoker.

Nealneal as Amon'Kul, Tiefling Fighter.

Kay as Alénthian, Favored Soul of Corellon., Eladrin Avenger.

Majestic Goat as Big Iron, Battle Engineer, Warforged Artificier.

Wassermelone as Estir Vesarian, Tiefling Monk.

Wishlists:
Lv12: Shadowdancer's Boots, Stone of Wind
Lv13: Orc's-eye Amulet, Drowmesh Shared Valour Armor +3
Lv14: Pennant Helm, Battlemaster’s Crossbow +3
Lv15: Premonition Ring, Alliance Band
Lv16: Restorative Gauntlets, Bracers of Archery
Lv17: Pearl of Power, Clasp of Noble Sacrifice +4
Lv18: Snakeskin Shared Valour Armor +4, Belt of the witch king
Lv19: Battlemaster’s Crossbow +4, Battle Standard of Stalwart
Lv20: Eager Hero’s Tattoo, Ring of Action Reversal
Steelhawk wrote: »

Level
12 Goblin Totem Dagger +3; Thornwalker Slippers
13 Staff of Ruin +3; Armor of Sudden Recovery +3
14 Ring of Feather Fall; Goggles of Night
15 Periapt of Cascading Health +3; Skull Mask
16 Gloves of Accuracy; Boots of Withdrawal
17 Goblin Totem Dagger +4; Stormcatcher Ring
18 Robe of Sudden Recovery +4; Staff of Ruin +4
19 Ring of True Seeing; Ankhmons Bracers
20 Periapt of Cascading Health +4; Diamond Cincture
Kay wrote: »
L12
Badge of the Berserker +3
Foe Stone (Paragon Tier)

L13
Githweave Holy Adversary Armour +3 (daily - resist vs oath target)
Controlling Greatspear +3

L14
Gauntlets of Blood (Paragon)
Blending Armour +3 (Encounter - start a charge, invis UEOT)

L15
Cloak of Displacement +3
Tattoo of Vengeance

L16
Iron Armbands of Power (Paragon)
Horned Helmet (Paragon)

L17
Feyweave Robe of Eyes +4
Badge of the Berserker +4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's all this then?

I'm looking for 5 players to hack and slash their way through the paragon levels (more on that below). I have no preference for new or old players, and I don't mind if you're in other PbPs. I do, however, require you to be able to post at least once a day (weekends an exception).

This will be a pretty combat intensive campaign, but with a sprinkling of RP on top. You won't be making alot of choices beyond how you approach killing dragons, but that doesn't mean I want 'Bob the Fighter' characters whose battle cry is 'I roll initiative'.

Leveling will be fast paced- characters will gain a level everytime a dragon is slain. There will be 10 encounters in total, with surviving characters reaching level 20. This is mostly because I want to try out all the elder dragons and the named ones introduced in Threats to the Nentir Vale, but also to give a little momentum to what would otherwise be a regular speed PbP.

Sheets and rolls on orokos preferably, but I'm not allergic to mythweavers or invisible castle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Character Creation

Initially I'm looking for:

- 11th level character sheet.
- 22 point buy, 3 magic items (one of lvl 10, 11 and 12 each) and 5,000 gold for items of lower level.
- Any race, class, background or theme is allowed (including monster races, pixies and Dark Sun themes). Hybrids not discouraged, but I may require an explanation of how they work.
- You get one expertise feat free. This includes the essentials feats, but also versatile expertise if you're into that kind of thing.
- A short (paragraph or two at most) background and description.
- I don't mind multiple submissions, just please put them all in the same post so I don't pick two from one person.

Once I've picked the 5 (or 6, depending) I'll want from each of them:

-A list of 2 magic items desired per level of that level (so two lvl12 items, two lvl 13 etc. up to 20).
-A 20th level sheet for their character. This means you'll have to have things planned ahead, but it's not set in stone.
-A third mystery thing wooOOoo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fire away with any questions, or just post interest.

Deadline for submissions is Monday 14th May, 7pm GMT (midday PST)

Grog on

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'll give this til Friday 11th May. So come on you lurkers. See above.

Grog on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So I'm definitely interested but I'm kinda away from my copy of the books/character builder. Should have a character by then though. Probably an Avenger, likely a dragonborn.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Once I get a stable internet connection I think I shall be churning up character ideas for this.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    I'm interested, experienced in person but new to pbp rpgs.
    Will try to come up some ideas with character.

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    I am game. Making a charging Barbarian striker.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
    Um how powered up do you want these to be?

Blood and Fire
    Powered up to the max. I'm looking for optimised builds, but I'll let you know if I think the build is too cheesy.

Are we allowed to take tattoos and such? Or just stick with items?

Blood and Fire
    Tattoos are fine, as are potions, ammunition and other consumables.

I think I'll say no soulfangs/dragonshards (and obviously no artifacts or intelligent items).

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If I still had my books I'd join but I haven't replace them since my apartment burned. I'm interested in some of the new dragons though.

Here is the Lvl 11 version of her..Akra Haraan I will post the BS and description when I get home or tomorrow afternoon.

Blood and Fire
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I want to go to there. Sign me up. I have no idea what I want to do, right now, though.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Reading vertroue's sheet I realise I've forgotten something.

You get one expertise feat free. This includes the essentials feats, but also versatile expertise if you're into that kind of thing.

edit: and that I accidentally put a 4 in front of the 5,000 gold. These have been remedied in the OP

Grog on
    will do I will fix tomorrow...was thinking 45k was WAY to much...lolol

Blood and Fire
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Is there a policy on rare items? I've none in mind at the moment but occasionally I stumble across one in the course of building thinking "this is cool" then reading "Rare" and grumbling.

Characters
    edited May 2012
    Trying to create a warforge artificer here.
    Will there be any chance for me to craft alchemical items or magic items between encounters?

edit: Big Iron is here. Still got 800gp for items, any suggestion?
    Background will be ready sometime tomorrow

Majestic Goat on
    edited May 2012
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is there a policy on rare items? I've none in mind at the moment but occasionally I stumble across one in the course of building thinking "this is cool" then reading "Rare" and grumbling.

No restriction on rarity.
    Trying to create a warforge artificer here.
    Will there be any chance for me to craft alchemical items or magic items between encounters?

You'll be able to take extended rests every few encounters (the dragonhalls are a big place) and you should have time to use rituals and such between.

Grog on
    edited May 2012
    3493099502_cc6f065ecf.jpg
    Alright here it the Updated version. I downgraded one of my three starting items for one of lvl 8 instead. So needed 80 more gold to get a different item sadface! o well it will go in the list of items wanted.

Also as promised.
    Akra Haraan, demon hunter and member of the Sky Pony Clan
    (long story short this is a character I have played for close to a year (longer I think) and those bits are from story exerts that she got from living campaign games)
    Anywho
    Akra, is a average sized Dragonborn standing just under 7'. She is a beautiful emerald green in scales and only slightly lighter in her faces and hands. Just like many of her kind she enjoys the feeling of up close and personal fights. Her armour is in her ability to get around a fight and fast doing fast damage and getting out of the way even faster. She wields a very large and deadly looking hammer. I fever asked she explains that "A hammer causes much blunt damage, I see the blood well under skin first then splatter it next swing. Armour no help. Armour get crushed!"

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    Blast so we get a free expertise feat? So that means my weapon expertise feat is free and I get a another feat in place? o.0

Blood and Fire
    vertroue wrote: »
    Blast so we get a free expertise feat? So that means my weapon expertise feat is free and I get a another feat in place? o.0

Yep.

I have a Hoarite Invoker in mind that I'm currently fiddling around with and should have posted soon, minus his background fluff as I'll write that up once more computer is put back together.

Characters
    My builder will not allow me to take another feat on it so I will post it here and hope I don't forget it...It is Avowed dragonfoe-gain +1 to attack rolls verses dragons, while bloody this increases to +2. Also if I score a crit verses a dragon with a melee or close attack power, I gain temp hit points = to the dragons lvl.

Blood and Fire
    Better hope you run into some dragons then.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oooh, this seems right up my alley right now.

Estir Vesarian - Tiefling Dragon Initiate Monk
    tief.jpg

Backstory:
    After the events at the monastery, Estir could never return there. His curiosity had gotten the best of him and he had accepted the dark stranger's offer to be taught more about the fire and his heritage - fire was so beautiful, why shouldn't he control it even more fully? Who cares what the source is, he would master it. Estir had only just started with the basics when one of his fellow students at the monastery had discovered his arcane study. He was going to report him to the master monks! It had all gotten out of hand and there had been so much blood... better to just run.

Besides, there was the dragon hunt the stranger had told him about... who better to fight dragons than a student of the Dragon?

Wassermelone on
    Evanche, Tiefling Invoker Adept of the Whispers of Hoar

rqrJj.jpg

A well-built, attractive tiefling stands before you, the scent of brimstone and a light frost snow present in the air around her as if some exotic perfume. Her jet black hair rolls gently down the side of her head and in between the well-formed, prominent horns that mark her heritage while her attention seems to be mostly disinterested, the passing throng of peoples and sights providing not too much excitement for one such as her kind.

But as you observe this odd traveler you note that her head carefully tracks those in town that show a more...unscrupulous side to their lives: the criminals or the corrupt, liars or charlatans, abusive parents or simply overzealous religious figures. Each she stares at in turn with charcoal-rimmed ruby eyes, a gaze that chills you to the very bone and one borne of pure directed hate towards those individuals she spots as transgressing in some manner. Later, perhaps that very day, perhaps tomorrow, and maybe as long as a week from now you hear of these people again, long after this infernal-borne creature has passed from your sight.

All of them are dead.

Their manner of death varies as much as their very composition, but as surely as the sun rises each morning, every single person that this tiefling lays her judging gaze upon ends up in the clutches of the underworld sooner or later.

Characters
    Bah, a dragon and 2 demons...hmmm.

Blood and Fire
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    A question. Would it be silly to have a character based around forced movement and knocking things prone? Would that work versus dragons?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    A question. Would it be silly to have a character based around forced movement and knocking things prone? Would that work versus dragons?

I can see it being pretty effective, alot of the dragon's rely on mobility for their instinctive actions and iirc don't have any defence against forced movement.

edited May 2012
    Big Iron, Warforged Battle Engineer

tt21C.jpg?1

Big Iron, one of the fourth generation of Centurion Battle Animan, created by mages during an ancient war against extraplanar invasion. It was created to adapt, to lead and to support the army of simpler but more devastating Mk.III. 77 Mk.IV were created and served during the war. Big Iron was #77, the last one created by Majan the Wildmage with material and energy from Elemental Chaos as a experiment. Because it was crafted in a haste, and wildmage himself wasn't known for his artistic talent, Big Iron came out bulky and unpolished like a big piece of iron, hence its name's origin.

At the end of the war, only a handful of Mk.IV survived, among them was Big Iron. Even though Big Iron managed to hold and break a few lines with its "brothers", it did not perform as the wildmage expected and considered it a failure, and he boxed it until someday he's able to upgrade it. The time never came, as the wildmage himself ventured into Elemental Chaos one night and never returned.

Big Iron took an "extended rest" until one day it found itself sold to a merchant, as he thought it was just a relic suit of armor. It was awaken by a servant when the poor soul tried to disassemble it for cleaning, but instead became disassembled by Big Iron. After its escape, he has become a mercenary to fight for anyone who offer it resource or information about its creator. One day it heard of someone mentioned Dragon Hall and the reward offered by the king, it could not resist but to enlist.

Majestic Goat on
    Minor change to Evanche: I swapped my multiclass from Avenger (Hero of Faith) to Rogue (Twilight Adept). I just really want to take advantage of Silent Presence PP feature against dragons and am having a bitch of a time gaining stealthing tricks while being an Invoker and not a hybrid.

Characters
    How flexible are you on the item selection? For example, could one break the level 11 item into gold and buy two level 9's with some change left over, or are we strictly the three core items and whatever we can buy with 5K gold?

steam_sig.png
    I should have asked that as well since I did knock an item down to lvl 8 I think.

Blood and Fire
    How flexible are you on the item selection? For example, could one break the level 11 item into gold and buy two level 9's with some change left over, or are we strictly the three core items and whatever we can buy with 5K gold?

Replacements only, so just three core items and 5k.

Same will go for the wishlist, so if you've really got your eye on lower level stuff it won't be lost to you forever.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Going to work on an app this week. Promise.

Aegis knows what I'm aiming for.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Amon'Kul
    Background:
    Amon'kul is a towering specimen. Slabs of muscled flesh over a devil hardened frame. His temper is legendary amongst those who've seen him upset.
    For over a decade Amon'kul has fought at the behest of other people. In that time he has served as a bodyguard, a champion, and even for a time as a solider. That time is done. After the completion of his most recent contract, he heard tales of wealth and unimaginable power to be found in the Dragonhalls. He set out in less than a vizier's career after hearing this. Now he finds himself in need of allies. Armed and armored with the spoils of many previous compaigns nothing can stand in his way.

7158426312_ba224df9e0_m.jpg
    Amon'kul

Nealneal on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Three tieflings, a dragon, and a robot walk into a bar.

Wassermelone on
    edited May 2012
    Don't forget the gnoll.

Story:
    Gnoryc was a sell-sword by trade, abandoning his fellow gnolls long ago to get the chance to hunt for glory and gold. Gnoryc didn't need weapons; why wield steel when his own claws were sharper than any axe or spear he had come across? They hand't failed him in the past; why change now?

This Dragonhall business had him intrigued, truth be told.The chance to disembowel great wyrms with his two hands and get paid to do it? Where to sign up?

Image/Token:
    Rothril-1.jpg

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Three tieflings, a dragon, and a robot walk into a bar.

I changed Amon'Kul's race from human to tiefling just so this joke could be made.
    I'm lying of course, I just thought an all/mostly tiefling group would be cool.

Nealneal on
    Going to work on an app this week. Promise.

Aegis knows what I'm aiming for.

I do?

Also, there is a gigantic "Flicker can't find this image". You might just want to rehost.

Characters
    ooo I like fighters...they mark things and such!

Blood and Fire