As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That loot system, as of now, is only confirmed for LFR; they're going with wait-and-see how it goes in LFR before implementing it in LFD.

RE: Legendaries in LFR, it'll probably never happen. Whether that's good or bad I suppose is subjective. Personally, I don't really care about the exclusivity of equipment; and if I have it I'm happy, regardless of how many othe rpeople have it. But I'm not someone who has Legendaries (because MC hates me, and every ICC pug is put together by someone already needing the Shadowmourne stuff).

I wouldn't mind a LFR version of legendaries. Make it considerably weaker and not something that would really keep into the next raid tier or anything; but at the very least it would allow people to see the content added with legendaries these days. The only problem is, if they make them actually legendaries you run into a shitstorm of epeen bitching, and if you make them just normal epics you'd have to change their graphics or they'd be sought after for transmog purposes which, long term, would make them more appealing than the actual legendaries.

Long story short, the idea of even trying is probably such a massive headache to begin with, that they won't ever bother. And that's fine.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Legendary Items are still rather obnoxious, particularly the rouge daggers. Was there really any need to make them unobtainable in LFR?
    Considering how overpowered they are, yes. They're far too common for Legendaries as it is.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The legendary questlines are set up with the assumption one person's getting all of the stuff over like 3 months (and that's assuming full clears), so doing it over LFR means adding randomness into that and it'd probably take like 6 months minimum if you're lucky (if it's a traditional multiclass legendary questline then. Also imagine if the rogue daggers' quest start pickpocket ring was available in LFR and how much whining, screaming, and griefing would have happened around it every time you ran LFR if it was there.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I do think it's kind of unfortunate that more people don't get to see the events for the staff/daggers quest chains (I guess every rogue basically can see the first stage daggers event but still.) They were both neat examples of skill based gameplay and I wish there was more stuff like them in the game.

Legendaries in LFR is dumb though because 1) they'd have to be weaker than normal mode drops and therefore not very 'legendary,' or 2) every raid would have everybody farming LFR for legendaries all the time and nobody would ever want to use any normal mode drops.

It'd be like the issue with agility daggers dropping in DS writ large.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I do think it's kind of unfortunate that more people don't get to see the events for the staff/daggers quest chains (I guess every rogue basically can see the first stage daggers event but still.) They were both neat examples of skill based gameplay and I wish there was more stuff like them in the game.
    Well, that's just a problem of Blizzard being dumb and putting a lot of effort into content very few people will reasonably see. That's what raids were for the longest time, of course. They've apparently shunted that to Legendaries now. At least it's less wasteful, I guess, since I'm sure the Legendary lines don't take nearly as much development effort as a raid zone.

I guess there's some threshold of development effort that Blizzard is OK with for content that most people will just have to Youtube to see.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    meh, I have never been onboard with the argument that you should be able to "see all the content" just by investing a bunch of time or logging in every day and queuing up. But locking entire classes (or in the case of the daggers, every other class) out of some pretty neat stuff just seems like a silly decision.

On the other hand both of the legendary chains needed to be designed around some fairly specific mechanics; you couldn't have just walked into the dagger chain as a class that couldn't stealth.

I guess I'd rather just see more stuff like the legendary chains for other classes, rather than an endless parade of mindless dailies

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    So bit of a tangent that goes back to the discussion a few pages back.

Am I the only one thinking that eventually they'll have to go back and redo the questing experience again? Cause it's getting really really disjointed. Again. Think about it. Thrall is gonna become warchief again, okay cool... But what happens the expac after Mists when someone's going through leveling? Particularly as Alliance? They get to Hyjal and start going through Cata content, "wait why is Thrall here he's the warchief why am I helping him I'm alliance he's horde aaaaaaaaaa".

And not only that, but the flow itself is messed up. 1-60 is a post-cataclysm/deathwing EK/Kalimdor, then you go to Outland for 60-70 to deal with the burning legion and Illidan except oh wait that already happened, then you go back to Azeroth and over to Northrend for 70-80 to deal with the scourge and the Lich King except oh wait that already happened, then you go back to Azeroth and go ALL over Azeroth for 80-85. And then you go to Pandaria for 85-90. That doesn't feel right to me.

Also also, Deathwing's dead. Yet a lot of the quests in 1-60 and 80-85 deal with him, directly and indirectly. It's just... It's gonna be really messy. Outland/Northrend situation all over again. I like that they're doing this whole story push with the quests, but it seems like awful foresight to be doing it like this.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Meh, going to Outland or Northrend from Cata content doesn't make sense, and most people don't really care.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    meh, I have never been onboard with the argument that you should be able to "see all the content" just by investing a bunch of time or logging in every day and queuing up. But locking entire classes (or in the case of the daggers, every other class) out of some pretty neat stuff just seems like a silly decision.

On the other hand both of the legendary chains needed to be designed around some fairly specific mechanics; you couldn't have just walked into the dagger chain as a class that couldn't stealth.

I guess I'd rather just see more stuff like the legendary chains for other classes, rather than an endless parade of mindless dailies
    Class-specific stuff is pretty stupid to design since they have to make 10-11 different chains that one character can only do one of. Plus, how do they design it for the various hybrid classes? Do they make some challenge for a feral spec? What if I only have resto/balance gear? I mean I guess maybe they could give you a premade set of gear, or remove all your gear and tune it accordingly to someone with no stats, but those are pretty messy solutions.

I think the best bang for the buck "challenging solo content" thing they've done is the Darkrune event for the Ogri'la stuff. Content where you're not using your specific character is the most reasonable way for them to put that stuff in the game. They even have two ways to do that: the "mind control something else" mechanic or vehicles. The biggest issue is when the vehicle is inexplicably laggy and unresponsive, like the Argent Tournament jousting mounts.

• Options
    Dibby's post reminded me: does Deathwing no longer fry zones anymore?

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    So bit of a tangent that goes back to the discussion a few pages back.

Am I the only one thinking that eventually they'll have to go back and redo the questing experience again? Cause it's getting really really disjointed. Again. Think about it. Thrall is gonna become warchief again, okay cool... But what happens the expac after Mists when someone's going through leveling? Particularly as Alliance? They get to Hyjal and start going through Cata content, "wait why is Thrall here he's the warchief why am I helping him I'm alliance he's horde aaaaaaaaaa".

And not only that, but the flow itself is messed up. 1-60 is a post-cataclysm/deathwing EK/Kalimdor, then you go to Outland for 60-70 to deal with the burning legion and Illidan except oh wait that already happened, then you go back to Azeroth and over to Northrend for 70-80 to deal with the scourge and the Lich King except oh wait that already happened, then you go back to Azeroth and go ALL over Azeroth for 80-85. And then you go to Pandaria for 85-90. That doesn't feel right to me.

Also also, Deathwing's dead. Yet a lot of the quests in 1-60 and 80-85 deal with him, directly and indirectly. It's just... It's gonna be really messy. Outland/Northrend situation all over again. I like that they're doing this whole story push with the quests, but it seems like awful foresight to be doing it like this.

I'd really like it if they made both Outland and Northrend 60-80 continents so at least you have some options in that level bracket.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I know what was said during the press tour, but don't be so sure yet that you know who the next warchief will be. The information provided during the press tour was... not entirely accurate.
    Welp! I guess this is a thing.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Dibby's post reminded me: does Deathwing no longer fry zones anymore?

If your server has beaten the Dragon Soul raid then nope.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, I am slightly annoyed that dying in Madness gives anyone the 'Stood in the Fire' achievement. There's not even any fire to stand in on that fight!

Ah well.

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Why? I mean granted the name of the achievement is slightly misleading in that context but the criteria is clear as day:

"Get killed by Deathwing".

• Options
    Spine does too, actually.

On the subject of class specific stuff, the staff chain does a pretty good job of being accessible to the various caster classes (iirc elemental shamans have a hard time with it though, and for mages it's really easy.) I don't think it's that unreasonable for 'caster' or 'melee' stuff like that to exist.

Druids actually used to have the epic flight form quest, which encouraged you to use all the different forms to solve little enemies/puzzles encounters, but it wasn't nearly as developed as the legendary chains and iirc it was pretty hard for restos.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Warlocks also have to deal with pets bugging out like crazy at the end of the staff chain, I think.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It's hilarious when you see a guildie's alt in LFR, and they suddenly get the "stood in the fire" achievement.

It's like "oh, your first time on spine with that guy?"

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    forty wrote: »
    Well, that's just a problem of Blizzard being dumb and putting a lot of effort into content very few people will reasonably see. That's what raids were for the longest time, of course. They've apparently shunted that to Legendaries now. At least it's less wasteful, I guess, since I'm sure the Legendary lines don't take nearly as much development effort as a raid zone.

I guess there's some threshold of development effort that Blizzard is OK with for content that most people will just have to Youtube to see.

There really isnt a whole lot of "content" to legendaries. Its more of some sort of large event that is the result of alot of coordinated effort and time. People looking at this as wasted content is essentially people not wanting to do the effort required to get it. So in my view its the standard "cry more" stance. But then again the masses of bads have already got retard access to raids so it might be something down the path if people whine loud enough.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    I wish they'd add legendary weapon quests for every class/spec....and make them harder. Like EQ epic weapon levels of hardness. Finishing one of those was extremely satisfying.

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Monsty wrote: »
    Just make a trial account and character, run the "allow characters of any level in a raid" script thingy then group him, and never worry about bothering anyone ever again! (And you can close the trial character's client as long as you stay logged in on the other one)

I don't know what script you are referring to, but its easy enough to just make a trial account and level up a character to 10 so you can just invite them and get into any raid. It doesn't take long to get to 10 at all; but it was shocking how much more difficult early level stuff is with no heirlooms. Or at least a warrior was a poor choice.
    Just for reference(I really didn't feel like doing the 30-60 minutes necessary for level 10, heh), run this or put it into a macro:

/run SetAllowLowLevelRaid(1)

You need to do that once on the level 1 dude(and maybe on your other character, don't recall) ever and he can be your lil raid buddy until the end of time. I don't remember if you need to be in a regular group first or not... it's been awhile. Laziness prevails!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I liked having the quests for the various Druid forms in the game. (Although I still wish Ferals could shift to Moonkin--they get access to bear/cat.)

It's not like they need to keep adding new class-specific quests, but pulling out all the ones that were in there, that seems to diminish the game somewhat.

(Note, I'm not saying to keep them as is...totem quests, I'm looking at you...but just getting them from the trainer, or just getting them automatically seems kind of lame. Like when my Warlock hit 20 last night and I get "Giddy Up" in the middle of Shadowfang Keep.)

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Warlocks also have to deal with pets bugging out like crazy at the end of the staff chain, I think.

oh yeah that was a fun one (it's actually right after the first raid collection step though)

Most of the time, the felhunter wouldn't know how to interrupt or dispel the boss unless he was positioned correctly. But the fire on ground didn't seem to count as AoE damage for damage reduction, and move to is extremely unreliable, so you had to spend a lot of time positioning him manually.

When I did that quest, Tarecgosa also didn't break him out of the block of ice she does earlier, so I actually spent the first couple of attempts trying to do it without him. I think it's technically possible, but I didn't want to spend 40 minutes fighting through the dispellable healing buff. The block of ice is an infinite duration CC, so I ended up spending an attempt forcing him to die via soul link.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I haven't done one of my Moon Guard updates in a while. Apologies. I know some people like it and others hate it. I think I have something here both worlds can enjoy though. What is the state of Moon Guard?

mg2012update.jpg

BUSINESS AS USUAL.

And the block is hiding my character from the shot.

Edit - Or a massive penis.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I caught a look at MMOChamp's preview of the character creation process, and it's looking pretty good. Quality of life stuff. 'Course, the biggest impact is gonna be when there's actual new stuff to look at. As in, race revamp. *I AM A BROKEN RECORD*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zuO8pwv4q_s

Also it made me realize there's a title track to the expansion I guess. I like that the first minute and a half goes back to the bare roots of vanilla / TBC, but really hate that they're holding onto the long-ass medley formula. TBC had the best 'title' track to the game. Original game theme, mashed up with the theme of Eversong / the Blood Elves, which was the most important point of the expansion, and boom, done.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The race revamp is really a problem that is hard to explain
    Some people like the look of thier character now and when they created them. What if they do the revamp and ta da you look like melted max or a clown?

We really need new animations which is far easier to do than just a whole graphics overall

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Some people like the look of thier character now and when they created them. What if they do the revamp and ta da you look like melted max or a clown?

We really need new animations which is far easier to do than just a whole graphics overall

New models means having to recreate animations, and that opens the door for tweaking existing animations (some, not all), or maybe even redoing all animations if they really feel like it. Which I hope they do the latter because a lot of that shit is lacking big time.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah this is getting overboard.

They've overused Thrall, for sure; but he is still the character that actually created the Horde on Azeroth, saved the Orcs by taking them to Kalimdor and led a tenative peace with the Kalimdor alliance (Jaina) to allow the Horde to flourish there instead of immediately going to all out war with the Alliance and halting the growth of the Horde. The horde of WCIII/Vanilla couldn't have stood up to the Alliance if there had been all out war, it was through his leadership that they had the groups join and the territory taken, relatively bloodlessly, in order to be what it is now.

Thrall is/was a good leader. The whole orc-jesus thing in Cata was overboard; fine. But Garrosh is a terrible leader and even if there was no "corruption" for him to need to be taken out; he would need to be taken out anyway; both Vol'jin and Baine know it, and though Sylvanis doesn't care about the horde, she'd be on board with it too.

The underlying theme of MoP is about balance, and Garrosh needs to go to bring the "balance" back to the Horde; something Thrall had in the first place, and hopefully can bring back.

"olol it's world of warcraft not world of peacecraft". Since WCIII the "war" has never really been about horde vs alliance; it's been about the terrestrial races vs some outside force, be it demons, or undead, or old gods. MoP needed a war between horde and alliance to clean the palate to set up for the next xpack against another "big bad".

Putting thrall back on the throne just lends to that.
    You seem to have "is a good person" confused with "is a good character."

Thrall is a good person but, thanks to Cataclysm, one of the shittiest characters.

I can't say "shittiest" because Me'dan is out there. Waiting. Plotting.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm still surprised Me'dan hasn't appeared in the game in any way so far. I really hope they realize that he's a shitty character and leaves him on the cutting room floor.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Anyone in the EU able to send me a rez scroll?

Having the urge to mess around with some old characters and see what's changed.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Anyone in the EU able to send me a rez scroll?

Having the urge to mess around with some old characters and see what's changed.

sure thing, pm'd you

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

New models means having to recreate animations, and that opens the door for tweaking existing animations (some, not all), or maybe even redoing all animations if they really feel like it. Which I hope they do the latter because a lot of that shit is lacking big time.

Cough cough
    Female trolls and a lesser extent male trolls

Animations are FAR easier to do when you have the skeleton in place
    We are getting better pixels as it no longer runs on a ham and cheese as it once did

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    You know what I don't understand about legendaries? Why does it always have to be for a specific class? I thought that Quel'delar was a shining example of what legendaries COULD be. Here you've got a lore questchain that every single class can go through, and at the end, each class can pick a reward that's weighted towards their class/spec. I really don't see why they can't do something like that for legendaries. I know it's a little more complicated than that regarding weapon types and lore and whatnot, but I think it's a good model of what COULD be done.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You really don't want a particular legendary to be available to every class. Trust me.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    darklite_x wrote: »
    You know what I don't understand about legendaries? Why does it always have to be for a specific class? I thought that Quel'delar was a shining example of what legendaries COULD be. Here you've got a lore questchain that every single class can go through, and at the end, each class can pick a reward that's weighted towards their class/spec. I really don't see why they can't do something like that for legendaries. I know it's a little more complicated than that regarding weapon types and lore and whatnot, but I think it's a good model of what COULD be done.

That's not a bad idea. I'm thinking they could have it start from multiple points but have it lead back to a single quest npc. You could consolidate the quest lines at that point. Questy guy sends you out to do long, hard quest chain to assemble your materials. After finishing up questy guy asks you to customize your legendary so it's tailored to your specific class/spec. The quest lines branch back out again for the last couple steps to accommodate that.

I think the quest design should be such that you can work on the majority of it at your own pace but the time investment/difficulty means it's still going to take awhile. I think they should make it unapologetically hard too. I think this is one instance where they don't need to make it casual friendly. There are people out there who like a challenge and this would provide that without taking anything away from anyone.

Edit: Just thinking some more about how the quest might start. It could be a quest item drop, possibly found off an npc you wouldn't normally kill. The clues eventually lead you to questy guy(possibly a Titan creation who is tasked with building stuff). As a start, he might ask you to obtain a worthy item that will serve as the base for the legendary. For example he might ask you to retrieve Gorehowl off Prince Malchezaar in Karazahn. After that it's a process of obtaining the materials to upgrade the weapon to legendary status, said materials ranging from the mundane to extremely rare and difficult to obtain(raids).

'Course, it'll never happen.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The amount of drama that would cause...it would be beautiful and terrifying.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Guys, I got into the pandaria beta.

New talent trees, what the fuck.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

That's not a bad idea. I'm thinking they could have it start from multiple points but have it lead back to a single quest npc. You could consolidate the quest lines at that point. Questy guy sends you out to do long, hard quest chain to assemble your materials. After finishing up questy guy asks you to customize your legendary so it's tailored to your specific class/spec. The quest lines branch back out again for the last couple steps to accommodate that.

I think the quest design should be such that you can work on the majority of it at your own pace but the time investment/difficulty means it's still going to take awhile. I think they should make it unapologetically hard too. I think this is one instance where they don't need to make it casual friendly. There are people out there who like a challenge and this would provide that without taking anything away from anyone.

Edit: Just thinking some more about how the quest might start. It could be a quest item drop, possibly found off an npc you wouldn't normally kill. The clues eventually lead you to questy guy(possibly a Titan creation who is tasked with building stuff). As a start, he might ask you to obtain a worthy item that will serve as the base for the legendary. For example he might ask you to retrieve Gorehowl off Prince Malchezaar in Karazahn. After that it's a process of obtaining the materials to upgrade the weapon to legendary status, said materials ranging from the mundane to extremely rare and difficult to obtain(raids).

This is the way Everquest epics worked. There was a different quest line for every class, with different rewards tailored to your class. I don't understand why WoW shies away from this, the epic quests in EQ were some of the best and most fun things to do in that game. It's not like everyone had them either, these things took months of camping rare spawns, getting rare materials from raids, and getting 50+ people together for your own specific epic raid encounters.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got into the Pandaria beta too.

Which is kinda odd, since I haven't actually played the game in 2 years. I don't even own cataclysm. Is it open to everyone?

Edit: Nevermind I actually got fooled by a spam email. It actually ended up in my inbox instead of my spam and all the links I checked was correct, but the "Download Now" button was fake.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

This is the way Everquest epics worked. There was a different quest line for every class, with different rewards tailored to your class. I don't understand why WoW shies away from this, the epic quests in EQ were some of the best and most fun things to do in that game. It's not like everyone had them either, these things took months of camping rare spawns, getting rare materials from raids, and getting 50+ people together for your own specific epic raid encounters.

That seems like all the stuff people hated doing in EQ/old WoW.

I can understand them wanting to keep legendaries limited to a single item, because they want that item to be legendary, and recognizable. Do people want legendary items, or do they want items with orange names?

This discussion has been closed.