As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Man.

These side quests are just. Not even a little bit compelling.

I mean the unique monsters and stuff are cool but, way too MMO.

I like some other games that have little cut scenes explaining why these people need your help and what is going on.

I think I am largely going to ignore side-quests in this game unless I find some good reason to do otherwise.

It's a quantity over quality deal, I largely abandoned them early on and don't regret it, nor do I need them.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    A question on affinity.

I never seem to level up the affinity between non-lead party members. I get that I get a lot more affinity with the lead (aka Shulk because I'm comfortable with using him) through quests, but do the other two party members ever even get affinity between each other? Or am I gonna be forced to monkey around and learn how to use each of them as a lead party member if I wanna level them up for heart to hearts?

sig.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The leader is the one that builds up affinity with the other two members in the party in and out of battle

The only other way to build up affinity is gifting collectables, so better start using people that aren't boring old Shulk

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Damn it. Everyone else just has too many arts and I get confused.

sig.gif
    edited May 2012
    I like turning Reyn into a beefy melee attacker

Sword Drive and Berzerker results in tons of damage, plus when he inevitably swipes aggro from the evade tank he doesn't fold like a card table

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Yeah Sword Drive is definitely my go-to in group attacks. Absolutely dwarfs anything anyone else can throw at the moment.

sig.gif
    Plus you get cheevos for using each character's abilities 100 times!!!

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I never use anyone who isn't shulk. I do not know that I want to

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Yeah my point exactly. So far Shulk's art rotation is really solid and easy to wrap my mind around. Everyone else is a big mess of circles to manage.

sig.gif
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SimBen wrote: »
    A question on affinity.

I never seem to level up the affinity between non-lead party members. I get that I get a lot more affinity with the lead (aka Shulk because I'm comfortable with using him) through quests, but do the other two party members ever even get affinity between each other? Or am I gonna be forced to monkey around and learn how to use each of them as a lead party member if I wanna level them up for heart to hearts?

The other two will get affinity in battle but at a slower rate.

You can also gift collectables for affinity gains.

LockedOnTarget on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Your AI partners will gain affinity between each other during Burst Affinity, Chain Attack initiation and if one of them supports the other when their tension is low.

Okay cool I can deal with that. I wanna keep Shulk in the lead.

sig.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've been playing as Sharla except for boss fights. The melee AI generally seems as competent as I am, and possibly better since my general approach to non-boss fights is "immediately activate any available skill with minor attention to positioning"

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I've been playing as Sharla except for boss fights. The melee AI generally seems as competent as I am, and possibly better since my general approach to non-boss fights is "immediately activate any available skill with minor attention to positioning"
    Yeah I think this is something that should be mentioned: the AI is pretty fucking great at positioning, if you aren't, just swap to a "backrow" fighter.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Shit, my Wii optical drive is making a weird noise

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    My Wii likes to make a whining noise when I play Xenoblade.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    I used Shulk for most of the early game because of his Monado arts and the break/topple/daze mechanic

But later more characters got break and I felt more confident not even having Shulk in the party, to mix up combat a bit.

I always use Shulk for boss fights, though.

I feel like if I take Shulk out that's when the game is gonna pop surprise Mechons at me.

Yeah okay so sure it would probably give me the party window and an opportunity to sub him in if that was the case.

sig.gif
    If you're post ether mine then I think the game gives you a break from mechon for a while.

You'd want me to think that, wouldn't you.

sig.gif
    BEEP BO- uh I mean what gives you that idea!?

He's probably one of those mechon infiltrators

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Hey guys totally unrelated sidebar, Enchant starts powering up Mechon so I suggest that you stop using it.

They just don't tell you about it.

The secret winning technique is to freeze and not do anything as soon as you get an attack premonition.

sig.gif
    Oh wow I could spend ages gifting party members collectables.

I have 8 pages worth of them and that's not taking into account multiples.

Frontier Village has a lot of quests.

sig.gif
    Alcamoth is worse, believe me

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Also, Riki is the best little dude

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Happy Happy Time is a hell of an art, make sure to buy the upgrade manual, because you fill a third of the party gauge when it's maxed out to the advanced level.

Sadly most master level arts manuals are rare drops so I may never now how good it is fully maxed out.

Happy Happy Time is a hell of an art, make sure to buy the upgrade manual, because you fill a third of the party gauge when it's maxed out to the advanced level.

Sadly most master level arts manuals are rare drops so I may never now how good it is fully maxed out.

Aw man I was so hoping that wasn't the case. I hoped they were quest rewards. :(

sig.gif
    Advanced arts are still pretty powerful, it's just that particular art is hilarious when you use his break move > chain attack > happy happy time > topple > daze.

I think Spear Break is the only master manual I've found while exploring a dungeon.

Graaahhhh I finally managed to kill that unique monster for a quest without that level 99 fucking T-rex wandering into the fight

fuck that guy.

sig.gif
    Still can't kill that lv40 Brog at Colony 9 to clear that one last quest there though.

sig.gif
    Well sounds like somebody has been playing way ahead while the rest of us have been busy not playing xenoblade

I wouldn't call clearing 50 million quests at Frontier Village "playing ahead".

sig.gif
    I'm just sad because I am still at just having finished the cutscene thing after the ether mine because having a job is lame

Well now I feel a little better because I feel like I should be farther along but job gets in the way.

sig.gif
    I'm unemployed so I finished the game a week ago!

Haha losers.

I wish I had no job or girlfriend so I could have more time to play video games. :(

sig.gif
    It's great! Since beating XB I've gotten to play through Walking Dead, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, Bulletstorm, and will finish up my Persona 3 save before Diablo III comes out!

It really helps me deal with my crippling depression and loneliness!