As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The best comic book movie I've ever seen. The (tiny expected spoiler)
    team work action sequence near the end, with Iron Man flying from fight to fight and helping his bros, ending with Hulk punching Thor, had the audience cheering. Fucking amazing.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    So now that you've seen Avengers, do you think any comic book movie will ever measure up? You've been eternally spoiled?

Whedon said he had things planned as a trilogy, so it'll be interesting to see how he tops the first movie.

Unless of course, he's called in to do the next Star Wars trilogy, like CBR is advocating. But fortunately, I think Whdeon is a Marvel-ite at heart.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    So now that you've seen Avengers, do you think any comic book movie will ever measure up? You've been eternally spoiled?

Whedon said he had things planned as a trilogy, so it'll be interesting to see how he tops the first movie.

Unless of course, he's called in to do the next Star Wars trilogy, like CBR is advocating. But fortunately, I think Whdeon is a Marvel-ite at heart.

Yes, the movie definitely had low points. He said in a recent interview that if he were to do a sequel, it would be a bit more intimate and personal, which is something I think the sequel needs to be.

They need to do another hulk movie first though...

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    it was a good fun movie :) i want to see another hulk movie with ruffalo now, i liked him the best of the 3 hulks

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Dark Knight Rises. Amazing Spider-man looks good, too.

Excellent.

That's not going to happen any time soon. Lucas won't let any director touch his precious Star Wars.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

That's not going to happen any time soon. Lucas won't let any director touch his precious Star Wars.

damn all your statement does is remind me of the three director's Lucas had in mind for the prequels till Spielberg convinced him to self-direct and it just makes me sad thinking about what could have been.

initiatefailure on
    edited May 2012

damn all your statement does is remind me of the three director's Lucas had in mind for the prequels till Spielberg convinced him to self-direct and it just makes me sad thinking about what could have been.

Well, the directors can do only so much even in that situation. They'd just shoot it better, they don't control the screenplays by Lucas. That's why they'd need better screenwriters or good director-writers (like Whedon or Jackson) to make the prequels succeed in quality.

Harry Dresden on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    At the AMC Ultimate Marvel Movie Marathon, each movie was introduced by Clark Gregg in-character as Agent Coulson briefing the audience as new SHIELD members. It was fantastic.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fuck

that is really awesome

I went to the Cinemark one instead which had no such intro

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Man, why aren't there any AMC theaters in Oregon??

I had to drive about 3 hours to find an AMC theater. Worth it. Also got an Avengers: Ultron Quest comic book by Van Lente, the custom Avengers 3D glasses (I picked the Captain America ones) and a 2nd pair of regular 3D glasses, so you can leave the Avengers ones in the packaging. They had Avengers trivia, games, and a costume contest between the movies, giving out all sorts of merchandise as prizes. But the best part was the Agent Coulson clips.

Man, why aren't there any AMC theaters in Oregon??

They can't clone Clark Gregg Agent Coulson.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    But he's dead now. T_T

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote: »
    But he's dead now. T_T
    They could bring him back with a Life Model Decoy or he was simply faking his death to unify the team. :twisted:

They need to make a "Chapter I" boxset with the Avengers and all the movies leading up to it...and include those snippets.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    But he's dead now. T_T
    They could bring him back with a Life Model Decoy or he was simply faking his death to unify the team. :twisted:

I definitely think that is the case.

steam_sig-400.png
    But he's dead now. T_T

I definitely think that is the case.

I would be so happy if this was true. And it works with what was in the movie -

Fury tells the team over the radio that Coulson's dead, we don't see it. It seems like the kind of move Fury would make in order to make the Avengers work, and would provide plenty of drama for the next movie.

I had heard people speculate he was going to die in the movie - but I was shocked that it actually happened. I figured he was safe since they had just introduced him to the comics universe last week.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    New Avengers cartoon confirmed for 2013
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/04/30/marvels-five-year-plan-for-the-avengers-to-rescue-the-movies/

:(.

Looks like it's going to be based on the cinematic universe, so thats alright though.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/04/30/marvels-five-year-plan-for-the-avengers-to-rescue-the-movies/

Looks like it's going to be based on the cinematic universe, so thats alright though.

What does this mean for EMH...

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »

It means it'll finish the 26 episodes of s2, and then be replaced by this new one

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic

It means it'll finish the 26 episodes of s2, and then be replaced by this new one

Fuckin aye...that really sucks. EMH is my second favorite animated show at the moment behind Adventure Time...

GPbTp.gif

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I saw an article from Loeb in CBR a bit back where Loeb basically says EMH wouldn't stay around because it was developed before he took over the animation department. Which is just petty. I mean it's done all the time in TV but that seemed like a show that both old and young enjoyed and created another world to have toys and merchandise come from instead of the movie verse. Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man, which seems to really have a split among fans and would be Loeb's first big move as head of TV (the timeline syncs up), it just seems like an odd choice. It's not that confusing, and I hope Young Justice doesn't get a similar treatment for whatever reason to sync up with the DCnU.

Got to see Avengers midday today, lucked out on a not packed screening. I would say it's a solid "good," 7/10, although a few minor tweaks and it would have been great. Everything behind spoilers

First, if RDJ wasn't in the movie it would have easily been a below average film, he does so much to steal the show, from his AC/DC appearance in Germany to making fun of the Helicarrier and Fury's one eye, great stuff. I also liked how the Mark 7 armor appeared, in 5 years we've had more Iron Man armors than in 50 years of comics almost. Pepper showing up too was nice, it felt like it connected the films more than having the big heroes all together.

One thing I didn't understand is why Rhodey didn't show up. Natalie Portman not showing up just to do some kind of videochat about going into hiding was okay, but Rhodey could have been there to blow up more stuff (and sell more toys, am I right?).

The worst part of the film is the ten minutes where the whole teams bickers in the lab about not trusting one another and having pissing contests while possessed Hawkeye gets ready to destroy the helicarrier. It just felt so forced, and they made Cap look so stupid with his moralizing crap that he almost bled back into his current comics version, just bad. I could buy Banner being like that because it was set up, but for Loki's staff to seemingly give off bad mood rays to seemingly everyone was blah, really hit a Ghostbusters 2 moment.

Maria Hill/Smulders added nothing to the film, I feel like she was added in a way to get Whedon on board because he felt sorry about not getting her to be Wonder Woman when he was helmed to work on that film. She should have died instead of Coulson (oh man that sucked, at least he got to shoot the big gun), and gone to that big mall in the sky. The way it worked with her I would have rather seen Carol Danvers show up as a pilot and planting seeds for a future movie or something.

Cap's new uniform didn't look any better in motion, he looks the most out of place of all of them. I really wish they had a better modern warfare version or the New Invaders Cap outfit. I really did like how Cap was a Christian and his line about one God, and there was no hemming or hawing about it like how DC have treated Superman and dropping American Way from his motto. I doubt it made people around the world go aghast at the notion and want to burn theaters down. It was a good character moment that is usually groupthinked out of films and comics these days, so thumbs up for that.

I think the biggest problem the movie has is that it never quite got when to move on from a moment, and I think this is the Whedon stuff sneaking in to the film. I only really know Whedon from his comics work, I've never seen any of his other work outside of the first Buffy season and movie, and I can't remember most of Alien Resurrection, but there are moments that just went too far to break the reality. Tony calling that guy out for playing Galaga on the helicarrier was a good line as were all the other Tony one liners (Point Break), but we didn't have to see the actual guy click back to playing. Loki gets the crap smashed out of him by Hulk, completely awesome with how rag doll he treats Loki, but then to cut back to Loki with that shocked face and the camera hanging on him being in the ground, I think it would have worked better if he just smashed and his head is thrown into the ground and Hulk and moved on to another thing to beat. And that first scene with Natasha felt a little too clever with her having it all under control, it just went too far when she said she was waiting for the guy to reveal his plan. Maybe if she gets the call, understands, then breaks out right away and beats them up because she can't play around any more, that would have worked better. Everyone tried to have their own Tony moments.

I think what it comes down to is that this is the first big invasion, the first time the team is together, there is a level of nonchalance sometimes that should only be apparent in the forthcoming Avengers 2 & 3 where it becomes a monthly thing in saving the world. In Iron Man 1 for instance, Tony doesn't play around in blahblahstan, he just straight up kills those guys because he doesn't know what he can do and the more 4th wall breaking moments are saved for out of armor and downtime scenes. In IM2 he gets a little more cocky. People are dying in the streets by a hole in the sky that isn't closing, so those moments need to be in moderation. Like Hulk punching Thor after killing that worm, Hawkeye shooting without looking while talking to Tony because the Skrulls Chitauri are so predictable, those were the moments that worked because Hulk is unpredictable, and Hawkeye needed a moment to show his skills as a good guy.

The council could have been ignored completely, it just seemed like a way to maybe protect Fury from having harder choices to make to make him less on the team's side and more "whatever it takes" Renegade Fury. I liked the idea of him being someone who would be your closest ally but turn around and shoot you without blinking his eye if it saved the world, not your grizzled old uncle with a heart of gold. Expand on the idea of him having to create superweapons because the floodgate to planetary defense is wide open (keep the cube, for instance). I could see him answering to the President and no one else.

For not liking Hulk at all in the comics, seeing him go crazy here worked, really dug how he kind of turns almost ape like when he's not smashing things, like he's thinking whether to walk on his knuckles or something. Though the Chitarui being some kind of quasi cyborg things was a bit of a cop out, maybe to get the PG-13 with such a high body count, I don't know. Not a major thing but it seemed maybe a way to again get Hulk out of a no kill policy. I never saw the other Hulk films so I don't know if he killed in them or not.

I would say Iron Man 1 and Cap are better Marvel films in terms of whole packages, the effects guys on this film should be the premier ones for the industry right now. It's a good film, no mistake, and they should easily fast track an Avengers 2 (though with the same people, don't cheap out Marvel), it's just not up there with Iron Man and Dark Knight IMO. And outside of 10 minutes, it is paced rather well and definitely a good blockbuster film.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

I'm actually curious if Whedon will stick around. He's been pretty loud in interviews how he prefers doing his own thing, but more importantly than that, Marvel doesn't seem to have the best track record of keeping directors(or even actors) happy.

edited May 2012

It gets worse. There was an article (possibly in this thread a few pages back) where Loeb admits to fucking with the second half of season 2. He may have severely damaged or overruled continuing the season's story line. :evil:

Texiken:

Iron Man has gotten new armors every few years in the comics. 7 armors is a fraction of that, easily. In fact, he just got a new armor recently. Stark changes armor like ordinary people change clothes.
    SHIELD answers to the United Nations IIRC, not America.

Natasha outsmarting Loki seems fine to me. While Loki is a very manipulative bastard he isn't flawless in his strategies. And it gives her another reason to stay on the team that logically works with her job being a spy.

I don't get why you're still angry about Superman dropped the "American Way" motto in Superman Returns. Why keep it if it just alienates non-Americans and is just a motto that rarely gets used or effects Superman at all? He'll still protect America and the world without it. Returns had far bigger flaws.

Harry Dresden on
    I don't get why you're still angry about Superman dropped the "American Way" motto in Superman Returns. Why keep it if it just alienates non-Americans and is just a motto that rarely gets used or effects Superman at all? He'll still protect America and the world without it. The film had far bigger flaws.

I don't mean that movie specifically; It's not just in the movie, it's the general way they've just pushed it out of the motto in everything as though we wouldn't notice. It's just needlessly picking at a character's past when they should focus on the future. I wouldn't care if Captain Britain had a british motto, it's part of who they are (or GI Joe for that matter). For instance Superman vs. the Elite, it looks likes it's going to be pretty much a remake of Action #775, so just call it "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" They did it for Batman Year One, and All-Star Superman, keep it going. It's a great title and much more grabbing than Superman vs. _______. People around the world aren't going to bootleg your movie even more if you have that title.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm actually curious if Whedon will stick around. He's been pretty loud in interviews how he prefers doing his own thing, but more importantly than that, Marvel doesn't seem to have the best track record of keeping directors(or even actors) happy.

That would be like shooting themselves in the head.

But this is Marvel. :/

Crimsondude on
    and Marvel's track record is fine

the only dude they pissed off was Favreau and he is still friendly with the company, what with being a Producer on Avengers and showing up on set a few times

Norton was being a prima-donna and wanted to make his own editing decisions on IncHulk which is dumb and they didn't ask him to come back for Avengers because they needed a cast that would put the ensemble first

and Howard was asking for a hilariously oversized paycheck, especially considering he was the highest paid person in Iron Man 1

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    What about Branaugh?

TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't get why you're still angry about Superman dropped the "American Way" motto in Superman Returns. Why keep it if it just alienates non-Americans and is just a motto that rarely gets used or effects Superman at all? He'll still protect America and the world without it. The film had far bigger flaws.

I don't mean that movie specifically; It's not just in the movie, it's the general way they've just pushed it out of the motto in everything as though we wouldn't notice. It's just needlessly picking at a character's past when they should focus on the future. I wouldn't care if Captain Britain had a british motto, it's part of who they are (or GI Joe for that matter).

It's a quote that's rarely used. In fact, from the all the media and comics I've read about Superman I don't think I've seen it used once and I've collected and watched a lot of Superman material. The scene is also very minor and quick. No-one would miss it or notice anything amiss had they deleted it from the film. G.I. Joe being a multi-national task force makes sense to me then a purely American one. It's virtually a SHIELD expy anyway. It's also nice to see other main characters not be American for once, though the protagonists were still mainly from America IIRC (Duke, Scarlett, Riptide). Nor is it a bad idea to include characters that make selling to foreign markets easier.
    For instance Superman vs. the Elite, it looks likes it's going to be pretty much a remake of Action #775, so just call it "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" They did it for Batman Year One, and All-Star Superman, keep it going. It's a great title and much more grabbing than Superman vs. _______. People around the world aren't going to bootleg your movie even more if you have that title.

That may be specifically to shorten the title. It not only helps with promotion, the new title fits better on dvd/bluray covers.

Blankzilla wrote: »

the only dude they pissed off was Favreau and he is still friendly with the company, what with being a Producer on Avengers and showing up on set a few times

Norton was being a prima-donna and wanted to make his own editing decisions on IncHulk which is dumb and they didn't ask him to come back for Avengers because they needed a cast that would put the ensemble first

and Howard was asking for a hilariously oversized paycheck, especially considering he was the highest paid person in Iron Man 1

Unfortunately he has a point. No director has stayed around with Marvel beyond one film, aside from Favreau (and he left after the Iron Man 2 debacle).

Unfortunately he has a point. No director has stayed around with Marvel beyond one film, aside from Favreau (and he left after the Iron Man 2 debacle).
    But as far as we know that isn't because they are pissing them off

sequels have different directors quite often

Marvel could have just wanted to get someone else behind the camera for Thor and Cap 2

CYpGAPn.png
    What about Branaugh?
    As far as I know, they never pissed him off. Dude is still an executive producer on Thor 2.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2012
    I thought Favreau wanted 10 million for IM2 instead of 500k or something, that led to the rift with Marvel.

I don't mean that movie specifically; It's not just in the movie, it's the general way they've just pushed it out of the motto in everything as though we wouldn't notice. It's just needlessly picking at a character's past when they should focus on the future. I wouldn't care if Captain Britain had a british motto, it's part of who they are (or GI Joe for that matter).

It's a quote that's rarely used. In fact, from the all the media and comics I've read about Superman I don't think I've seen it used once and I've collected and watched a lot of Superman material. The scene is also very minor and quick. No-one would miss it or notice anything amiss had they deleted it from the film. G.I. Joe being a multi-national task force makes sense to me then a purely American one. It's virtually a SHIELD expy anyway. It's also nice to see other main characters not be American for once, though the protagonists were still mainly from America IIRC (Duke, Scarlett, Riptide). Nor is it a bad idea to include characters that make selling to foreign markets easier.
    For instance Superman vs. the Elite, it looks likes it's going to be pretty much a remake of Action #775, so just call it "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" They did it for Batman Year One, and All-Star Superman, keep it going. It's a great title and much more grabbing than Superman vs. _______. People around the world aren't going to bootleg your movie even more if you have that title.

That may be specifically to shorten the title. It not only helps with promotion, the new title fits better on dvd/bluray covers.

I've never had a problem with wanting to expand the casts to be more international. I have a problem with trying to retcon or retrofit that into existing character history. You don't make Nick Fury french, for instance. Nothing against the French, you just don't do that to get the French market. I guess it just comes down to seeing "American Way" as a bad thing, and I don't.

TexiKen on
    What about Branaugh?
    As far as I know, they never pissed him off. Dude is still an executive producer on Thor 2.

I dunno. He's been really vague about why he won't direct again. That combined with Marvel having prior bad relations with cast members over money (the first Rhodey) and Fav leaving pissed off makes me wonder that Branaugh might feel the same way only he's polite enough to part on good terms. In public, anyway.

I've never had a problem with wanting to expand the casts to be more international. I have a problem with trying to retcon or retrofit that into existing character history. You don't make Nick Fury french, for instance. Nothing against the French, you just don't do that to get the French market. I guess it just comes down to seeing "American Way" as a bad thing, and I don't.

They had to in order to avoid creating new characters altogether. Their nationalities aren't played up that much in Rise of Cobra, either. It just adds another layer to their personalities. It's not like this doesn't happen in other adaptions or even alternate universes in comics. Ultimate Janet van Dyne is Asian, which is cool. Marvel did alter Fury's ethnicity for the films*. Sure, he's visually based on the Ultimate version the character still acts like his 616 version. Close enough, anyway. It was a stroke of genius to cast Samuel L. Jackson in the role, we all get a good Fury with him.

* along with the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon & Earth's Mightiest Heroes

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    What if...they give Loeb the reins for Avengers 2.....

Hopefully Loeb is put away somewhere safe soon...the man's ideas are somewhat crap, and he probably doesn't know the first thing about management...

And creatively...he just named Nova in Ultimate Spider-man after his dead son. I'm a father too, and losing my son would devastate me. But re-enacting his son through his comics, and now through his media is just too much. The man needs some time with a good psychiatrist and find a better way of dealing with his loss.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Avengers is pretty much the first superhero film that did everything right, that realized a comicbook on the big screen. It felt right. Like, holy shit, I'm watching the Avengers! This is a real comic book!

Iron Man came close, didn't quite reach it. and the Dark Knight films are all trying their hardest not to be superhero or comic films (nothing wrong with that, I just consider it a different sort of entertainment).

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    When Favreau made his pitch for Magic Kingdom at the D23 Expo, he said he wanted to do Iron Man 3 as well, but didn't have time for both projects, so he chose to do something new. That could have been him just being diplomatic, though, since he's still working for Disney either way.

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    the only actor or director that Marvel has any real strained relationship with is Terrance Howard, and that's because he got greedy

even Norton said he had been talking to Whedon and the execs and doesn't bear any grudges, it just didn't work out

Favreau was upset that Iron Man 2 didn't turn out how he wanted it, but it didn't destroy his relationship with the company as money people have already pointed out. Branagh left amicably because he told the story he wanted to tell and isn't interested in a sequel, and Johnston is likely in a similar place, though it hasn't actually been confirmed yet that he isn't returning.

if anything, Marvel allowing directors to leave when they want is a good thing

edited May 2012
    My few quibbles about the avengers movie:
    First of all, it's never explained how Banner gains control of the hulk. He goes nutso when he transforms the first time but is suddenly a team player the second go around?
    Why did the chitauri suddenly become helpless when the nuke went off? It didn't seem like the soldiers were supposed to be robots or anything. I'd understand if they were wearing power suits or were cyborgs or something, but it's not really made clear.
    Hawkeye misses a ton of shots at the beginning of the movie when using a firearm. It just bugged me. Also, he should have realized that Fury would survive a bullet to the chest and would have logically put one in his head instead.
    Cap's helmet was lame.
    Thor needed more screen time.
    The chitauri in general seemed very weak. I guess against any realistic military force, they would have had the upper hand, but as a whole, it looked like taking apart chitauri soldiers was a bit too easy.

Guek on
This discussion has been closed.