As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] - A Game of Megathrons

• Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    So, just having bought EVE for whatever amalgam of reasons even though I won't get time to play for a couple of days yet, I just have one question:

How (everything)?

But for real, I've been reading the Goonfleet wiki since it's got some seemingly good info available to getting players started. Any other super-useful tips or guides?

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's probably been linked before somewhere, but isktheguide.com/ has a fair bit of useful information to it. The best advice when starting is to do the tutorials, and really pay attention to what the nice lady is telling you. Watch the youtube tutorial on scanning before doing the scanning missions, it helps immensely. Other than that, don't loot anything that is yellow and treat every deal as if it is a scam until proven otherwise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The probability of anything linked in Jita chat being a scam is so high that it sometimes triggers .999... = 1 arguments.

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Again my better judgment, I am now playing this game again. I was never good at it but I knew I wanted an Ishkur and to pvp.

I'm trained to fly an Ishkur and I am working on getting trained for the fittings needed. Question though...how does one make money? I'm going missions in my catalyst but I'm only getting 30k a mission. I assume there has to be better way to get that cash money?

Join MRCHI, get out to VFK, and...
    1) hero tackle something in a rifter (that you were given for free) and make hundreds of millions of isk from people in fleet, or
    2) find a ratter and salvage for them, or
    3) scam.

Until you're financially stable, only fly ships that you break even or profit from (yay for reimbursement!). This actually includes an Ishkur, I think. Once you can fit a ratting ship properly, if you aren't rich already, you can run anomalies and make a good enough income. You could easily pay for one account per month or pay for a couple expensive losses per month with pretty casual play.
    JC of DI wrote: »
    But for real, I've been reading the Goonfleet wiki since it's got some seemingly good info available to getting players started. Any other super-useful tips or guides?

Definitely do the tutorials, then get in MRCHI and ask specific questions on Jabber or in corp chat. You'll get pretty much instant answers. Quality may vary wildly, of course.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options

Definitely do the tutorials, then get in MRCHI and ask specific questions on Jabber or in corp chat. You'll get pretty much instant answers. Quality may vary wildly, of course.

I'm definitely not the type to ignore tutorials on a game that I'm clueless about, so no worries there.

Merch Ind. is back to open recruiting? I saw their OP on the forums here and, though outdated, it mentions it was closed except for sponsors. Just go through the regular process for joining that it mentions there then I assume?

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Hm, the recruitment thread in the OP that claims recruitment is closed is outdated.

This is the thread you're looking for.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Be a Space Priest by flying logistics ships and be the favorite hero of the swarm
    Wait, wait, I can be loved in yet another MMO by being the hippy carebear PvP healer?

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny that a lot of the time the mere presence of logistics ships will make an enemy run away. In fact sometimes in order to get a fight some groups will have their logistics dudes fly something else, which makes me sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Logistics are actually worth flying now? I was training up for them before I quit several years ago, but more for the novelty factor.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Logistics are the fleet. Without logistics, you lose.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I don't really have regular time to play eve, so I kind of have to fit it in when I can. I was thinking of training towards force recon so I can log in, shit up someone else's space and log out. Is this a sensible goal to work towards?

• Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    I don't really have regular time to play eve, so I kind of have to fit it in when I can. I was thinking of training towards force recon so I can log in, shit up someone else's space and log out. Is this a sensible goal to work towards?

Well recons are pretty awesome, but they're generally not solo boats because they have very low DPS. The pilgrim is a goofy exception in that it's worthless for anything other than being a solo boat, but it's still pretty good at that.

Generally speaking if you want to covertly shit up somebody's space you're better off doing it with a bomber or a covert T3.

Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    Merch Ind. is back to open recruiting? I saw their OP on the forums here and, though outdated, it mentions it was closed except for sponsors. Just go through the regular process for joining that it mentions there then I assume?

Yeah, we're open - we can't edit the OP because the OP got banned for being a terrible poster (not a surprise).

There should be a new thread in the not too distant future.

• Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    Merch Ind. still with Goonfleet? Looking at getting back into the game, but starting fresh. This char with continuing or should I start over? http://eveboard.com/pilot/Wildluck

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Wow, what did Lady Eri do to get banned? Looking at the last posts she was getting into some heavy political discussion, and the infraction reason was alt account.

Precisonk -- 3 million isn't all that much in the way of skillpoints. A few months or so, I think. It's up to you, personally I wouldn't reroll unless you have some bad corp history or something, but that's just me.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Lady Eri is Anschau, if that helps clear things up.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    precisionk wrote: »
    Merch Ind. still with Goonfleet? Looking at getting back into the game, but starting fresh. This char with continuing or should I start over? http://eveboard.com/pilot/Wildluck

There's literally no reason to re-roll ever except to clear corp history (assuming you still have access to said account)

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Lady Eri is Anschau, if that helps clear things up.

I had my money on Piro getting it on the GF forums first.

Welp.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Huh, no clue who Anschau is.

• Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    Every couple months I get this guttural urge to play eve. It's a combination of a love for space things (all that star trek) and reading about the crazy go nuts stuff happening in the game. I played for like a month a while back and it just felt so slow and boring and like I wasn't actually doing anything.

Now, that could just be me being bad but is the game in it's current state, in a place where I could start up and within a reasonable amount of time actually be doing something and killing mans and feel like a goddamn space man?

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I met a guy in week old alt, and together we've been suicide ganking miners in highsec and wardecing people for the isk. It helps that he has experience playing the game, but his characters low SP only mean he has to be very smart about when he engages and not mind when he get wtfpwn'd.

So, sure; depending on how you go about it you could be killing mans and feeling like a goddamn space dick in no time. Pretty sure someone from MerchI will be along shortly to tell you about how wonderful it would be to join them.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Pretty sure someone from MerchI will be along shortly to tell you about how wonderful it would be to join them.

Heh, as someone who spent the first good couple of years flying with a few RL friends and some fellows we befriended in lowsec I can relate to this attitude. I stopped that because leadership is a lot of damn work and myself and my friends didn't have enough time enough to manage finances, do recruitment, and also lead enough ops to keep a small pvp corporation happy. Didn't try the hisec wardec approach, might end up joining the new goonswarm hisec wardec squad when I get time to play again.

Goonswarm helps with having a very organized alliance that engages in a lot of different ventures of fucking with other people and plenty of friends, but you will never be able to call yourself the "little guy" unless we get teamed up on by a bunch of anti-blue anti-blob supercap-wielding hypocrites again, in which case we're still not the little guy but the plucky underdogs with superior player numbers and cute rifter-flying newbies.

Yeah, MerchI can get you PVP, though of course other groups can. Just try to make some friends and don't get bored mining and mission running in hisec. My main reason for joining MerchI myself after all these years was that I knew very well how shitty a lot of corporations are, both because of bad leaders and just how challenging leading a corporation is, and MerchI was a well-run group of people I already somewhat know and can relate to because of the PA forums*.

*except for you terrible people who never post

• Options
    Derp; didn't mean to snark or hate on MerchI :D From what I've heard, they do great things for their newbies and are generally swell people. If I wasn't intent on trying HiSec for a change there is a pretty good chance I would have joined MerchI or another goon corp.

That said, with how Goons have declared war on Eve's economy; when the great war comes I'll be shipping out with an anti-Goon alliance.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    That said, with how Goons have declared war on Eve's economy; when the great war comes I'll be shipping out with an anti-Goon alliance.

You are viewing this the wrong way. The next time the goons assault a major trade hub you don't need to lose lots of ships trying to beat them off, you need to capitalize on the market fluctuations to make yourself obscenely space-rich.

Edit: Anyone who can't make a profit off of behavior as relentlessly predictable as the goons is terrible and should feel terrible.*

*Yes, this is snark. I am not actually calling anyone names.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Actually, I was talking about OTEC and Goons sponsoring of Hulkageddon. With the Inferno changes to returning mineral production to mining, I won't be surprised to see Goons continuing to sponsor Hulk kills. As those two factors cause ship prices to rise, I think we'll see the major 0.0 powers deciding to break OTEC. OTEC will start halting Tech exports at some point. I don't believe the other 0.0 powers will be able to halt the exports of the other critical moon goos, giving OTEC/CFC a ship advantage. If the 0.0 powers are smart, they'll be stockpiling Technium and Technium products. That is the great war that will get me back out in 0.0 joining in the big fleet fights.

Of course I'm trying to guess the mind and plans of Goons, which means I'm probably wrong.

Burn Jita was pretty awesome, but even if Goons were able to sustain it, it would only cause a shift in prominence to other trade hubs. While that would be epic, it is hardly on the scale of OTEC and a continued Hulkageddon.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    Of course I'm trying to guess the mind and plans of Goons, which means I'm probably wrong.

Only if you overthink it and thus second guess yourself into an error. The Goon leadership is sane.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Goon leadership has a lot more information than I do, and is putting more thought cycles into it. For example; if after OTEC raises the price of Technium they see that everyone is stockpiling technium, they could decide to crash the market, making insane profit and emptying the wallets of speculators.

But that doesn't seem like a very Goon thing to do. :D

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I truly appreciate the Inferno change to mining.

I'm currently training an alt up whilst I concentrate on my Steam backlog. Once I have this alt up to a certain point (roughly battleships for level 4 missions) i'll jump into the game proper and get back into MerchI.

• Options
    Goon leadership has a lot more information than I do, and is putting more thought cycles into it. For example; if after OTEC raises the price of Technium they see that everyone is stockpiling technium, they could decide to crash the market, making insane profit and emptying the wallets of speculators.

But that doesn't seem like a very Goon thing to do. :D

You are over-thinking it. Risk versus reward. The Goons found that attacking a trade hub was the most fun they have had in a long time. They want to do it again once they build up a stockpile of ships.

Examine what the market in Jita did when the goons attacked, and act on that.

There is also likely money to be made off of the schadenfreude of those who sold in Jita to the goons the ships they used to wreck Jita. Don't worry about the Technetium. There is money to be made off of the rest of the market without getting into something that potentially volatile.

• Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    Jita was the best thing we've ever done in terms of effort vs tears.

• Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    So a few mates finally talked me into getting this with a buddy trial used as bait and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm taking a bit of a shatterminded approach to skilling 'cause I don't really know what I'm doing and there's a lot of different things that seem like fun. So in the interest of tightening up my training a bit;

If I want to cloak and dick around in places where I shouldn't be, occasionally shooting up people I shouldn't be shooting at, which races' ships and what weapons should I pursue in my training? I have Evemon to direct my training, I just, like, don't know what I should be aiming at.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    Calixtus wrote: »
    So a few mates finally talked me into getting this with a buddy trial used as bait and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm taking a bit of a shatterminded approach to skilling 'cause I don't really know what I'm doing and there's a lot of different things that seem like fun. So in the interest of tightening up my training a bit;

If I want to cloak and dick around in places where I shouldn't be, occasionally shooting up people I shouldn't be shooting at, which races' ships and what weapons should I pursue in my training? I have Evemon to direct my training, I just, like, don't know what I should be aiming at.

Minmatar (projectiles) has solid choices for what you're looking to do.

The Sabre interdictor is widely considered the best dic for solo camping gates in nullsec.

A Tornado battlecruiser with a cloak and sensor boosters out the ass is pretty cool for trying to alpha ships before they finish aligning for warp.

The Loki T3 cruiser with interdiction nullifier is a pretty good probe and gank ship.

Word of warning though, the Sabre and Loki both take a very long (for a new player) time to train into and a substantial investment of ISK to fit them properly.

If you're going to be flying with a consistent group of friends though, I'd say just grab a hurricane and have fun without stressing over trying to get a cloaked ship combat worthy.

Oh, and don't train into stealth bombers unless you can consistently meet a couple requirements. Torps on a frigate sounds awesome on paper, but without having a dedicated ecm ship to stop the enemy from targeting you, you'll get punched through like a wet paper bag. Bombs on the other hand are an amazing tool, but without a coordinated group of at least 4-5 players, you'll never kill anything with them. Their primary use is in massive fleet fights for breaking up stupid static blobs.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular

The Goons found that attacking a trade hub was the most fun they have had in a long time. They want to do it again once they build up a stockpile of ships fix their sec status.

Fixed that up there.

• Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    Installed the trial and must say, the new beginner stuff and tutorials seem WAY better than the last time I played. I actually feel like I'm learning how to play this game :P

So as someone who doesn't really know what he wants to be doing yet, what are some good general skills I should be investing in right now as I go through the beginner tutorial agents?

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    Installed the trial and must say, the new beginner stuff and tutorials seem WAY better than the last time I played. I actually feel like I'm learning how to play this game :P

So as someone who doesn't really know what he wants to be doing yet, what are some good general skills I should be investing in right now as I go through the beginner tutorial agents?

Energy Management, Energy Systems Operation, Engineering, Shield Operation, Navigation, and Electronics are all pretty solid skills you can't go wrong with.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    And ofc Gunnery

• Options
    So I'm new to EVE by a couple weeks now, and rolled Minmatar. Looking at the ships now though I really like the Amarr styles. I know enough about the skill system that it's not too big a hassle to swap ship races and train for it, but gameplay-wise all I really know are the tutorials and level 1 agents for the Minmatar, so I'm used to those ships and using projectile weapons.

Is it different enough that I should just stick out with what I know and keep investing skill points into more general-application skills or would I be fine to make the swap now?

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    The look of ships shouldn't really matter that much. How often do you actually see your ship when you are flying? Most of the time you should be playing all zoomed out, so the way ship looks shouldn"t matter. On the other hand, if you are only few weeks old, learining some Amarr skills won't matter much. If it will make you have more fun, go for it.

• Options
    Quite literally the only reason to roll one race over another is the physical appearance of the character.

You will be eventually cross training all these skill anyway.

• Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    Not necessarily all of them, pretty sure you can get away with just Caldari and Minmatar or whatever. Amarr doesn't seem too favoured right now and lasers suck. Training general and fitting skills is never a waste of time though.

Dogs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.