As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I hated Aion.

Any chance i'd like Tera?

Absolutely.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I hated Aion.

Absolutely.

Don't tempt me devil woman! I have weak impulse control right now. Waiting on GW2 and it sounds like i'll have plenty long enough to enjoy Tera.

What's the guild situation like. I kind of have to play these sorts of games with other people to enjoy.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    I hated Aion.

I didn't like Aion and I like Tera. I think there are some good chances you would like Tera also!

I hated Aion.

Absolutely.

Don't tempt me devil woman! I have weak impulse control right now. Waiting on GW2 and it sounds like i'll have plenty long enough to enjoy Tera.

What's the guild situation like. I kind of have to play these sorts of games with other people to enjoy.

I play on Valley of Titans (PVP server) with TFT so there are plenty of people around. I think WANG on Dragonfall (PVE) has a fair amount of people as well

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    This is not news to anybody above level 21. But BAMs absolutely make this game.

Playing a lancer and soloing those big suckers is so satisfying. Sure, I don't do much damage, but I am an immovable force, slowly whittling away at the enemy's health.

... I like this game.

steam_sig.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Go into Bastion of Lok for the first time a bit ago.... Pull the first boss. Healer disconnects. 3 DPS die to poor positioning.... Boss is as 38% health. I tank it down to about 27% health. Slow and steady. Healer reconnects and resurrects one of the DPS. We eventually kill the boss. I get some Slayer loot and try to offer it to the slayer in the group. Before I get it all typed out, he rage quits. One DPS released and can't get back to the instance, and the group falls apart.

SUCCESSFUL RUN! :P

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I should give BoL a try sometime soon with my Slayer

I'm level 21, and almost at the suggested gear level for it

Is there a suggested gear level? I just queued up and trusted my years of tanking experience :P It worked like a charm!

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    Is there a suggested gear level? I just queued up and trusted my years of tanking experience :P It worked like a charm!

In the queue tool it lists the suggested item level of the dungeon at 33

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    fireblast is so, so satisfying

also covers pretty well for people that have not learned left click is not your main damage ability

edited May 2012
    Maddoc wrote: »

In the queue tool it lists the suggested item level of the dungeon at 33

Oh, look at that... I'm above it anyways, so at least randoms didn't look down on me because of my gear score while I was the only one alive tanking the boss :P

Nax on
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Is there a level above superior for items? greens and blues seem to be becoming worthless in the 40's, sense everyone runs instances to death for golds. I really think they shouldn't be sellable, I feel like it's not good for the economy.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Hmmm this is making me want this game instead of getting back into WoW.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    Hmmm this is making me want this game instead of getting back into WoW.

Join ussss

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    my favorite thing right now is having a lancer round up all the killer dolls in that one SM room and nuking them all out of existence with one fireblast. so many big numbers. or winding up a fireblast on a mob, having it dance around the circle a bit, then get one shot by it.

Jars on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So I guess winning two items off a boss is bad, since I, the healer, got kicked afterwords. I ain't even mad. I just had to laugh.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    People in mmo's get pissy if any form of good fortune lands upon someone that isn't them.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So I guess winning two items off a boss is bad, since I, the healer, got kicked afterwords. I ain't even mad. I just had to laugh.

Fuck 'em

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Please tell me I can somehow skip the Island of Dawn on new characters.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.
    This shit is sooooooooo tedious.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • llama_eggllama_egg Registered User regular
    Haven't played as much as I would hope due to work lately, but got tomorrow off so I'm going to try and burn through a bunch of levels so I can begin running dungeons with you guys. I can poop healing balls, someone must eat them!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    Hey Turra.

I fully ignored info about this game (And all other MMOs) to prevent me from getting back into one.

Though I have heard of the world PVP in this game. Being an 11 year veteran of UO world pvp is my thang.

Also the ability to go to war with another guild is a UO thing, and I haven't really seen it in an MMO since. =(

Also the combat system seems cool, I don't know a lot about it but it seems to me more fun and skill based than tab targeting and rotating cooldowns.

Anyways, as a lifetime pvper who has grown to hate modern PVP what are your thoughts? Should I lower my mouse button onto the "Buy Now" button?

camo_sig2.png
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    I want to say yes, the combat system alone sets it apart greatly from all other MMOs I have played.

Though, be forewarned that the majority of us duders play on a pve server. There are some of us that play on a pvp server, Delphinidaes would be the one to know more about that side of the game.

• ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    Tornelco wrote: »
    I want to say yes, the combat system alone sets it apart greatly from all other MMOs I have played.

Though, be forewarned that the majority of us duders play on a pve server. There are some of us that play on a pvp server, Delphinidaes would be the one to know more about that side of the game.

Hrmm, on the PVE servers I imagine that you can flag for pvp right? and also, can guilds do battle on a pve server and just have those people perma-flagged for pvp? That would be a bit like UO's setup. I hate getting ganked when questing but do still want lots-o-world pvp at max.

camo_sig2.png
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Currently there is no pvp outside of duals/deathmatches on pve servers. They plan on implementing it in the future as I understand though.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Yup, there are Battlegrounds and instanced PvP in the Korean version but the American devs are in the process of tailoring it for the western audience. Supposedly that will be released sometime this summer

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Go into Bastion of Lok for the first time a bit ago.... Pull the first boss. Healer disconnects. 3 DPS die to poor positioning.... Boss is as 38% health. I tank it down to about 27% health. Slow and steady. Healer reconnects and resurrects one of the DPS. We eventually kill the boss. I get some Slayer loot and try to offer it to the slayer in the group. Before I get it all typed out, he rage quits. One DPS released and can't get back to the instance, and the group falls apart.

SUCCESSFUL RUN! :P

You're going to just LOVE starting out in Sinestral Mansion soon ... ;)

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    So I got my Zerk to 40 last night and finally got to run Cultist's Refuge for the Story Quest. Went off with out a hitch, also made a new record crit, 51k dmg Thunder Strike on the vacuum cleaner boss.

Then I got to fly to the other continent. I hit up Kaiator and Allemanthia. Kaiator looks baws from the outside and Allemanthia looks amazing! Also, dragon instead of pegasus when leaving Kaiator. How sweet is that?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Oh yeah!

I also got my Archer alt off the Island of Dawn and am probably going to switch up my Sorc alt for a Priest alt. I think I would rather have at least one character that doesn't have to wait for 20mins in the dungeon queue. :P

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Duders! Is there a trial of this game available?
    Thinking about trying this, but dont want to spend 50 bucks to do so.

PSN: jfrofl
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

No trial just yet. Though one could say they entire beta phase we had was a trial soooo

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular

It just released, so no. There was an OBT prior to release you could have tried out. My guess is it'll be a few months at least until they have a free trial.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey Turra.

I fully ignored info about this game (And all other MMOs) to prevent me from getting back into one.

Though I have heard of the world PVP in this game. Being an 11 year veteran of UO world pvp is my thang.

Also the ability to go to war with another guild is a UO thing, and I haven't really seen it in an MMO since. =(

Also the combat system seems cool, I don't know a lot about it but it seems to me more fun and skill based than tab targeting and rotating cooldowns.

Anyways, as a lifetime pvper who has grown to hate modern PVP what are your thoughts? Should I lower my mouse button onto the "Buy Now" button?
    Sadly, this is one of your last opportunities to get open PvP out of a modern game. :[ So yes. Pre-60 there's channels (like phase shifting from WoW) so people can hop around to try and avoid people, but at 60 you can't avoid anyone. Constant GvG battles, plus they're installing a political system whereby people take control of provinces through election.

I believe the point of end game in this is that you'll be forced to PvP, in order to gain access to PvE. Either that or be friendly with everyone.

It could use castle sieges and perhaps some better penalties on death, but right now your options are pretty limited for open PvP so it's a good choice.
    You just missed two open beta periods in a row. :(

Jibba on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    No trial just yet. Though one could say they entire beta phase we had was a trial soooo
    Well, there are the 7 day friend trial codes. Don't know if the US got those though?

Glal wrote: »
    Well, there are the 7 day friend trial codes. Don't know if the US got those though?

How's that cloth map lookin to ya @Glal? :winky:

Steam
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Woot, got some extra money coming in soon. Will be able to finally pick up TERA.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Duders! Is there a trial of this game available?Thinking about trying this, but dont want to spend 50 bucks to do so.
    It's surprisingly nice, screen print on canvas. :winky:

edited May 2012
    Hey Turra.

FYI The PVP system is as follows.

After Level 11 you can flag yourself as an outlaw using a skill you get from a Quest in Velika (Main city).

As an outlaw everyone in the world turns red to you and you can attack them at will provided you are outside safe zones (Safezones include cities and most quest camps)

As an outlaw you turn red to everyone in the world and they can attack you without flagging themselves as an outlaw.

What this means is you can attack whoever you want, however the citizens can then band together against you easily and kill you. (Much how I imagine it would work in a fantasy setting) So you end up having roving bands of outlaws who prey upon people as they quest and you have people who fight back against them whenever they can.

GVG is pretty straightforward. You guild can declare war upon another guild and all members of both guilds are flagged red to eachother. They can attack eachother at any time outside of safezones. (Additionally in a GvG conflict there is a Red arrow above an enemies head to differentiate them from outlaws)

As the war wages you gain points for killing enemies (1 for members, 10 for guild leaders) at the end of the conflict (which last 24 hours) whoever has more point wins. You can only declare war on 3 guild at a time I think, however there is no limit to the number of guilds that can declare war on you.

A couple other things to note:

Because of the nature of the combat and the lack of tab targeting it is actually much more balanced in pvp than I have seen in other mmos. A high level character can still gank a low level character, however if the low level character is clever and avoids all the attack from the high level character they can often escape.

I typically despise PvP in mmos because of how easy it is for high level players to gank lowbies whenever they feel like it. However I have hd an absolute blast in TERA.

Hopefully that answers some questions. Here is a video of a GvG conflict I was involved with with where we waited on a cliffside for the enemy forces, engaged them, routed them and chased them back into town. If you look closely you can see my character (Delphi) the Black haired Ram Elin Slayer in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExBWVxaowhU

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Duders! Is there a trial of this game available?Thinking about trying this, but dont want to spend 50 bucks to do so.
    It's surprisingly nice, screen print on canvas. :winky:

You aren't going to sell it to me are you? :(

Steam
    PM me an offer?

PM me an offer?

PM me a desired price? :o

Steam
This discussion has been closed.