Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PRIME] SchlitzKrieg Curated Seattle Beer Tour - Got Photos?

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX Prime
This is a BRAND NEW event for PAX Prime 2012: An all day, curated private tour of the Seattle brewing scene. Visit four selected micro and nano breweries each in three distinct areas in and around Seattle. The goal: See 12 breweries in 12 hours while touring the area around Seattle and Kitsap.

IMPORTANT THINGS:
1. A Beer Map has been compiled for anyone at PAX to use, and inlcudes some good walking tours. If you're not taking the bus tour, check out the Beer Map.

2. The bus tour is full, there are 30 seats. If seats become available, waitlisters will be contacted in order.
One Full ticket just became available
A ticket is available for the second portion of the tour (Odin, Lantern, NW Peaks, Naked City & Pillager's. Ticket cost is prorated.)

3. This OP has been changed to reflect the current state and the original OP text has been moved to a spoiler below.

ATTENDEES' Teams (30 total)

Team Pilsner
JobiWanKenobi
LewieP'sMummy
LewieP'sDaddy
VespaChica
Creamsteak
Mister Gloomby+1
AltDelete + 1
Shelby

Team Amber
Crispy262+1
LexiconGrrl
EruditeAphrodite
HotSake
Courtneyj+1
SquirrelOnFire
Baka AI
Xenocide Geek

Team Porter
redhalo
Optimusbry
Matt
Agraves
TOGSolid
Saldek
BlackDragon480
VanVagabond
ArcticLizard
QuickSnap

Awaiting Team Designation
AltDelete + 1
Hybrys Cancelled
Irikah Cancelled

Wait List
hugemarginoferr + 3

TOUR STOPS
Kitsap Stops
Hood Canal Brewery BA Review
Valholl Brewing BA Review
Sound Brewery BA Review
Slippery Pig Brewery Beer and Lunch BA Review
Silver City Brewery BA Review

Georgetown Stops
Epic Ales BA Review
Two Beers Brewing BA Review
Odin Brewing BA Review

Phinney/Greenwood Stops
Lantern Brewing BA Review
Naked City - Beer & Dinner Option BA Review
NW Peaks Brewery - Shared tasting at the Naked City BA Review
Baron Brewing - Beer & Dinner Option BA Review NOTE: Now owned by Annhauser-Busch.

OP Text
Spoiler:

Moe Fwacky on
Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co. 10% off all purchases with a PAX Badge through Labor Day!

If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope Registered User regular
    I love this idea, but I can't go on the Tuesday before due to work. :-(

I am guessing we're trying not to interfere with MMT and also get in for the [E]? Is there a way we could move it to the Monday (Labor Day) or Tuesday after? Or will people be too tired?

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I am guessing we're trying not to interfere with MMT and also get in for the [E]? Is there a way we could move it to the Monday (Labor Day) or Tuesday after? Or will people be too tired?

1. You need to get a different job. Beer is Important
    2. Correct on all counts, though if enough people want to go on Monday, we could look at moving it.

LexiconGrrl on
    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co. 10% off all purchases with a PAX Badge through Labor Day!

1. You need to get a different job. Beer is Important
    2. Correct on all counts.

I definitely can't argue with you on both my needing a different job, not that beer is important. The Catch-22 is that my job is needed to pay for my beer. If only I had a job that was all about consuming beer.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Man I got all excited but I'm arriving Wednesday! (and I thought it said "Thursday" Sadly I can't afford 2 extra hotels nights! (Original plans were to arrive thursday but we extended them.)

• TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aww, I get there Thursday or I'd be all over this.

TOGSolid on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    And here I thought we were getting there early this year by coming on Wednesday :P

why are you smelling it?
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I love this idea, but yeah, getting an extra 2 days off and two extra nights of hotel are pretty tricky, even for such a worthy cause.

I like the Monday after PAX as well. Start up early, check out breweries at lunch, continue straight on through the afternoon, then catch a late flight back home. A fine way to end a PAX.

AltDelete on
  • Crispy262Crispy262 TT [E] Registered User regular

The beer is good!!!

I would be interested in a Monday or Tuesday after option as well. My better half & I are flying in on Wednesday.

2014 PAX Prime: Badge [✓] Flight [ ] Hotel [✓]
    !HUFFLEPUFF - Head of House ~ 2011-14
    HufflePUFF Don't Care
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Well, I had been thinking about coming down to Seattle a few days early... this may have just made up my mind. :)

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
    Cool! So one person tentatively for Tuesday, 2 for Monday.

One stop I really hope to get in here is Lantern Brewing - a tiny, tiny nanobrewery in Phinney Ridge which has amazing beers. So tiny in fact, that they can't even get their website completed.

edited May 2012
    That is easily the best website ever

AltDelete on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    I think most people are showing up Wednesday at the earliest...
    Myself included, so if you move it to Wednesday, I am totally in!

As for interfering with the MMT, I don't think it would be a huge problem...
    What the MMT usually does is have people sign up for each individual event and people can come and go throughout the day as they please.
    Could be an idea for this event as well? Could fit nicely with the MMT.

Serenity wrote: »
    What the MMT usually does is have people sign up for each individual event and people can come and go throughout the day as they please.
    Could be an idea for this event as well? Could fit nicely with the MMT.

I don't think it would work to attend for a partial day for this one. We're going to load people into a bus or van, and drive them 30 miles or so out of town, so there wouldn't really be any way to leave and/or rejoin the group unless you had a car.

As for having it on Wednesday, it's a possibility but I'd really like to avoid conflicting with the MMT if at all possible. We should give the thread a week or two to mature before making any decisions.

I'd be flexible for any of those days, actually. Ending the night in Ballard is pretty much perfect. I always wanted to check out more of the places in Georgetown. Does the ferry still sell beer? Not good beer, as I recall....

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    This is a great idea. I am guessing that we wont be able to attend this year cause we have some plans with friends already. Can't wait to see your list of brewery tours though! We will for sure hit up at least one of them.

Prime 2014 Status: .[] 4-Day Badges .[] Hotel .[] Plane Tickets .[ .] Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13, '14 .. East '12
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Boston, MARegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl - this is just one of the many reasons that you rock so hard. This makes me wish I was able to go to Prime even more.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&text=title&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I vote Monday. ;D

Also, I'd love to suggest Two Beers Brewing and Schooner Exact. Both have excellent beer!

PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
    vespachica wrote: »
    I vote Monday. ;D

Also, I'd love to suggest Two Beers Brewing and Schooner Exact. Both have excellent beer!

F Yeah! I've updated the OP with the first round of preferred tour stops. For anyone who doesn't know, 4 breweries per neighborhood is roughly half of the total available stops, so as stops potentially change, there are plenty of options to fill in.

@Saldek - the Ferries do sell beer, on tap even! Depending on the size of the boat, there's usually at least 2 taps available, 1 Megabrew like Budweiser and 1 Macrobrew like Pyramid or Alaskan Amber. The ferry trip from Seattle to Bremerton takes 1 hour, and the return trip from Kingston to Edmonds takes 30 minutes.

Hey @Lexicongrrl,

Thanks for offering to post a Google map/etc. of the stuff after you plan all this. I will make good use of it Thursday I'm guessing ;).

So I'm hoping that we can convince the Georgetown Liquor Company to open early for us for breakfast. Crazy, I know but for godsake, they have a sandwich called the Tycho. We have to at least try.

If anyone has a hookup with the manager there, please give me a jingle on PM. Thanks!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh man, if we could move this to the Monday after I'd be so over this.

We should put a cardboard cutout of Oliver Reed somewhere on the bus.

TOGSolid on
  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    Damnit why can't this be on the Wednesday. If it gets moved I'm in.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    We can do the Tuesday before or the Monday after PAX. If it clashed with the MMT, we wouldn't come, I love MMT and wouldn't want to miss any of it. Love beer, too, except cos I'm English it's really lager! Beer is different here.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    We can do the Tuesday before or the Monday after PAX. If it clashed with the MMT, we wouldn't come, I love MMT and wouldn't want to miss any of it. Love beer, too, except cos I'm English it's really lager! Beer is different here.

Ales are becoming a mainstay of american beer thanks to the microbrew trend. Our craft beer is becoming more british! (And a hint Scottish, with a healthy dash of german and Belgian usually in the summer.)

tsrblke wrote: »

Ales are becoming a mainstay of american beer thanks to the microbrew trend. Our craft beer is becoming more british! (And a hint Scottish, with a healthy dash of german and Belgian usually in the summer.)

Except that Seattle is obsessed with IPAs...

Eh, I'm from St. Louis, pretty much anything goes here. But IPAs are British by design (the India is where it was destined, not where it was made.)
    But on that note! Which of these delicious breweries would I be best to go to if I can't go with you guys and wanted to try Seattle's famous IPAs?

• VanVagabondVanVagabond Registered User
    My two friends and I would definitely be up for this, and could make it for Monday, possibly Wednesday if we get in early enough, but not the Tuesday. Will definitely watch this thread to see how the scheduling works out!

Eh, I'm from St. Louis, pretty much anything goes here. But IPAs are British by design (the India is where it was destined, not where it was made.)
    But on that note! Which of these delicious breweries would I be best to go to if I can't go with you guys and wanted to try Seattle's famous IPAs?

When I moved out to Seattle from KC, the IPA from Mac & Jacks was one of my favorites. Maritime Pacific in Ballard. For something closer to downtown, there's Pike Brewing in the Market.

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    So down.

<@heels>; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels>; oh god, what am i doing
    edited May 2012

I have to second the vote for Maritime. They really seem to have the hoppy "Northwest Style" brews down to a science. Red Hook is a close second, but they're all the way out on the East side.

And.. not to sound too snarky, but if you want to try Seattle's IPAs outside of a brewery, go to any restaurant that brags about its beer. You'll find all IPAs and almost nothing else. Ugh. If I actually liked IPAs I'd be happy, but really restaurant? Do you even know that there are other kinds of beer out there? I swear, one day last year Cafe Mox had an IPA on every tap except one. KAAAAAHHHNNNN!!!

LexiconGrrl on

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's ridiculous.

That said, I only drink RedHook now if there are no decent alternatives. I still remember when Anheuser-Busch bought them. Sad day. Yeah, I'm THAT Seattleite. :D

PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
    edited May 2012
    Awright! Map is Updated in the OP. Changes Are:

- Websites and addresses have been added to all locations.

- Walking tours have been added, with bus lines and suggested routes.

- Pin markers have been color coded
    Blue = MacroBrewery. Big operations that are likely to distribute their beer in other states.
    Red = MicroBrewery. Smaller, more local operations. Usually with a pub, good local distribution.
    Green = NanoBrewery. Tiny, independent operations. Hard to find beers, no pub or restaurant.
    Yellow = Beer Store. Get yer bottles here.
    Pink = BrewPub, Beer Garden, or Beer Tavern (no brewing on site). Includes offsite pubs for breweries and independent beer bars.

If I screwed up anything, just say so and I'll fix it. I'm not a web coder and had a tough time with the Google map.

LexiconGrrl on

• EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User
    So in. This convinced us to come into town for a week for PAX. YAY!

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
    Six Arms at 300 East Pike Street is also a McMenamins.

Six Arms at 300 East Pike Street is also a McMenamins.

Added, thanks!

Fierabend at 422 Yale Ave N is a good German beer garden (also serving German food, which I've heard is good). Not a brewery, but a decent number of taps, focusing on German imports. It's a bit out of the way from everything for PAX attendees, but if you're local, it's a good thing to note to get away from the IPAs.

Ok, I did a quick count to tally up the interest for different days. Please check the "interested parties" spoiler to confirm that I have your day preference(s) and quantity of interested folks correct. We'll still wait another week or so to make sure that people get a chance to read up and submit preferences. Right now Monday is the clear leader - since it's the Labor Day holiday that day, it will proably be easier for most people.

Looks great! Please add a plus 1 for me!

"If you don't reach for the stars, you never get drunk. Or something."

^This should be on the stein. Or at least a button.

Can I change my date from Monday to Wednesday? I didn't put that in my first options because I thought it conflicted with MMT, but it'd be a better day for me.

This discussion has been closed.