Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

the Dao of "games journalism"

1757678808199

Posts

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    oh many Mystery Inc got a second season

    starts this month fuck yeah

    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

    Who cares what anyone else says or thinks of you? At the end, how big you smile, how hard you dance, matters. Sounds like a victory to me.
    Steam
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    i haven't seen a ton of mystery inc but I think my favorite part was when Fred's dad was trying to teach him about his job.

    "Aw dad, kids my age really aren't interested in this kind of thing! They like to drive around and set traps and solve mysteries!"

    "No they don't."

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    We still talkin about what an RPG is and how some people think a JRPG is more of an role playing game than the Elder Scrolls series?

    Cause that is crazy.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    Mystery Inc is good scooby doo, if you like scooby doo

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    even ignoring that role means character wise

    I feel like the classes of Mass Effect count

    But the classes are not traditional and you can theoretically roll with any set of squad mates and make it through a mission. Some combinations may be harder, but they are feasible.

    This is not true in traditional RPGs, like Planescape: Torment. Just about everyone who wasn't a healer themselves had to roll with Fall From Grace or you'd wipe in no time flat.

    Same with holy trinity MMOs, where certain classes or roles HAVE to be present for the party to succeed.


    So wait, your definition is that for it to be an RPG you have to have certain characters playing those certain roles?

    That is an incredibly foreign concept to me.

    For me, the base things any RPG, or a game with "RPG elements" needs are just gaining experience points as you progress and choosing the types of things your character does/are good at.

    And basically the freedom to do what you want made it "more" of an RPG to me. If you are forced into going down one path and just doing one thing, that is less of an RPG, if that makes any sense.

    So there are a couple different levels there. Just the basic RPG elements, or some extra stuff that makes a game "more of an RPG"

    I would totally call Mass Effect a shooter with RPG elements, since you get to choose how your character progresses, and the fact that you don't have limits on it does not really play into it at all.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I solved the mystery.

    He would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those melding kids.

    I'm always amazed by the Harry the Hypnotist episode of Scooby Doo. Didn't they just pull the culprit out of their asses there? Like it was some guy who'd never appeared before the reveal?

    What the hell was that about?

    yeah that was a Bad Mystery

    but that clown was awesome

    WATCH THE SHINY COIN OF GOLD, AND YOU WILL DO AS YOU ARE TOLD

    xmassig2.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    Role meaning "niche" is an interesting concept

    In that sense of the word, class-based team shooters are a good example of gameplay roles as they all serve a specific purpose

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro



    It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

    Look at how much fun he is having.

    i'm pretty sure there's a gag with fred reding Traps Monthly and hiding it like it's porn

    it really is a great show that pokes fun at itself and at the other hanna-barbera mystery cartoons

    there's an episode about the casts of all of those shows getting together that's animated in the old style

    it owns really hard

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro



    It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

    Look at how much fun he is having.

    i'm pretty sure there's a gag with fred reding Traps Monthly and hiding it like it's porn

    it really is a great show that pokes fun at itself and at the other hanna-barbera mystery cartoons

    there's an episode about the casts of all of those shows getting together that's animated in the old style

    it owns really hard

    holy shit seriously

    i gotta watch more of this thing

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    huh

    been hanging out in the hotel lobby waiting for my mom to get back, a song just came on that was driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out where it was from

    it's one of the songs from pixeljunk eden

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    huh

    been hanging out in the hotel lobby waiting for my mom to get back, a song just came on that was driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out where it was from

    it's one of the songs from pixeljunk eden

    See this is why they invented Shazam

  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro



    It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

    Look at how much fun he is having.

    i'm pretty sure there's a gag with fred reding Traps Monthly and hiding it like it's porn

    it really is a great show that pokes fun at itself and at the other hanna-barbera mystery cartoons

    there's an episode about the casts of all of those shows getting together that's animated in the old style

    it owns really hard

    holy shit seriously

    i gotta watch more of this thing

    yeah, it owns a lot. i watched it with my brother growing up.

  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro



    It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

    Look at how much fun he is having.

    i'm pretty sure there's a gag with fred reding Traps Monthly and hiding it like it's porn

    it really is a great show that pokes fun at itself and at the other hanna-barbera mystery cartoons

    there's an episode about the casts of all of those shows getting together that's animated in the old style

    it owns really hard

    Hmm, interesting.

    To be honest Scooby Doo never held a special place in my childhood, but I am down for a new take on it.

  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    The New Scooby Doo Movies is what it's all about

    Solving crimes with Batman and Don Knotts and Sonny & Cher

    xmassig2.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    I am aware of Scooby Doo & Batman, it looks amazing

  • ArtreusArtreus Hamlet Registered User regular
    Dangit shoe, I was gonna bring up how great the knotts episodes were.

    Also three stooges

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Johnathan Winters was good too

    I used to watch those on cartoon network when I was home sick from school

    Good times

    xmassig2.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    Ok you definitely have my attention with three stooges

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    so, like, do any of you have a clue of this is real



    it was brought up in the thread a while ago

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Mystery Inc so I checked out the intro



    It also immediately confirmed what Buttlord meant about Fred's trap fetish.

    Look at how much fun he is having.

    i'm pretty sure there's a gag with fred reding Traps Monthly and hiding it like it's porn

    it really is a great show that pokes fun at itself and at the other hanna-barbera mystery cartoons

    there's an episode about the casts of all of those shows getting together that's animated in the old style

    it owns really hard

    holy shit seriously

    i gotta watch more of this thing

    yeah, it owns a lot. i watched it with my brother growing up.

    this is the new one that just started airing a year or two ago

    it's funny as shit though because the whole thing is like "you remember hanna barbera mystery shit? man that was stupid"

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I submitted something. Hopefully it is good but I might have spent too long getting to the point.

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    the horror.

    bake 'em away, toys.

    what'd you say chief?

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    The role playing article was good but I feel like the definition being used stop being relevant years ago

    newsigtrimmed.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The role playing article was good but I feel like the definition being used stop being relevant years ago

    I'm sorta confused about why everyone's fixating on this part of the article because it really wasn't the main thrust of it at all

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    the horror.

    bake 'em away, toys.

    what'd you say chief?

    Just do what the kid said.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • Mr. GMr. G Man, I love the way you talk Using 40 words where 4 will doRegistered User regular
    My favorite genre name is 'Roguelike' because WHO THE FUCK REMEMBERS ROGUE

    205xuzr.jpg
    Twitter / Steam / 3DS: 2981-5358-6078
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Every genre should be named after the first game in that genre

    FPS can be Doomlikes, Sports games can be Ponglikes, etc

    xmassig2.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Skateordielikes

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Every genre should be named after the first game in that genre

    FPS can be Wolfenstien3dlikes, Sports games can be Ponglikes, etc

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    video game retailers across the country register their displeasure at having to create a sparsely populated "blackandwhitelike" section

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    huh

    been hanging out in the hotel lobby waiting for my mom to get back, a song just came on that was driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out where it was from

    it's one of the songs from pixeljunk eden

    See this is why they invented Shazam

    To allow young Billy Batson to become EARTH'S MIGHTIEST MORTAL?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    man, you don't invent ancient wizards who grant power, you discover them. like storms.

  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    I overheard an amazing conversation at work today.

    A counter staff member was talking to a dad and his kid, the latter having brought up GTA IV (which is rated MA15+ here).

    When the staff member read out the part of the rating which said 'under 15s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian' the kid responded with 'you can just guard me the whole time'.

    Then the dad refused to buy the game for him and the kid's response was 'but I promise I won't kill anyone!'

    Now I'm thinking about GTA IV if Niko was a pacifist.

  • Indie WinterIndie Winter Nattravnen Registered User regular
    Now I'm thinking about GTA IV if Niko was a pacifist.

    and now I'm thinking about the Deux Ex pacifist runs

    and how awesome a game with DX's aesthetics set in a GTA open world would be

    ShhxB.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    even ignoring that role means character wise

    I feel like the classes of Mass Effect count

    But the classes are not traditional and you can theoretically roll with any set of squad mates and make it through a mission. Some combinations may be harder, but they are feasible.

    This is not true in traditional RPGs, like Planescape: Torment. Just about everyone who wasn't a healer themselves had to roll with Fall From Grace or you'd wipe in no time flat.

    Same with holy trinity MMOs, where certain classes or roles HAVE to be present for the party to succeed.


    So wait, your definition is that for it to be an RPG you have to have certain characters playing those certain roles?

    That is an incredibly foreign concept to me.

    For me, the base things any RPG, or a game with "RPG elements" needs are just gaining experience points as you progress and choosing the types of things your character does/are good at.

    And basically the freedom to do what you want made it "more" of an RPG to me. If you are forced into going down one path and just doing one thing, that is less of an RPG, if that makes any sense.

    So there are a couple different levels there. Just the basic RPG elements, or some extra stuff that makes a game "more of an RPG"

    I would totally call Mass Effect a shooter with RPG elements, since you get to choose how your character progresses, and the fact that you don't have limits on it does not really play into it at all.

    Again, I re-emphasize that my use of the term "RPG" is not "a game where you play a role"... it is the industry definition of an RPG.

    And you're right in that Mass Effect has RPG elements, and it's generally called an Action RPG, but I really don't think it fits the more traditional party-based RPGs of yore - D&D, Baldur's Gate, etc etc - mainly because it does not emphasize the ROLE of each of your characters in a game-defined mechanic, but rather it emphasizes WHO THEY ARE and WHAT THEY MEAN TO YOU.

    And I don't even know why Mass Effect has suddenly become the main discussion around the article, because my (BRIEF AND NOT AT ALL THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE) statement of Mass Effect NOT being a traditional RPG is intended as a Good. Thing. because it doesn't emphasize what the characters can do nor what their abilities/specialties are (unless you count the endgame in ME2). It instead emphasizes WHO they are, which is a refreshing step away from how traditional RPGs and their party-based systems work.

    And it's also actively demonstrating that characters who are PEOPLE are far more memorable and fun to hang with that people who are ROLES that are filled. And that dichotomy reflects how we think of people in our lives in GENERAL.

    Vivixenne on
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Antimatter I am genuinely curious to see how you interpreted the article

    because I was saying that Mass Effect succeeds in making each character more important than their role

    and I do not think we are disagreeing on that

    I mean we can argue whether or not ME is an RPG by genre definition or personal definition, but that is not even close to the point of the article, because, what I am saying is that
    ...the series features a party-based system that has actively moved away from traditional roles. This has demonstrated that it is possible to choose from a wide and varied cast of fleshy, complex, well-written characters that serve to strengthen the story.

    which is, again, a GOOD THING

    Vivixenne on
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The role playing article was good but I feel like the definition being used stop being relevant years ago

    I'm sorta confused about why everyone's fixating on this part of the article because it really wasn't the main thrust of it at all

    Yeah I'm starting to think that by not clarifying what definition I was using, the point of the article basically got lost because everyone started getting all pedantic. In that, I own that that's my fault, because it's really not generating the discussion I was hoping for.

    Though we could argue that the miscommunication of my point and its misinterpretation by readers is totally topical to the article, heh.

    Vivixenne on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Mass Effect is a little bit more of an RPG than Fallout 3 is.

    That is, there is some vague stat-like systems behind the combat, your character and story development hinges on your individual actions and interactions with NPCs, and you can pick and choose how to go about doing stuff, within reason.

    Neither is a traditional RPG, but they most certainly have more of a focus on their RPG elements than their FPS elements (though Mass Effect isn't truely an FPS either). Or at least they try to.

    9Xnmvna.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The role playing article was good but I feel like the definition being used stop being relevant years ago

    I'm sorta confused about why everyone's fixating on this part of the article because it really wasn't the main thrust of it at all

    Because it was the part I didn't like, I guess

    newsigtrimmed.jpg
This discussion has been closed.