As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why is there randomly no background in the second panel?

I think maybe to show importance? Like, suddenly what's around them doesn't matter but what they're saying is really important.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The bottom panel looks even weirder. They're standing in front of some kind of giant circuit board? Ok, ok, futuristic, but then this circuit board/wall only stretches so far and then it becomes a void not even light can escape.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Red Baron has a new hand tossed crust :O

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's not dynamic at all. Cap and Wolverine in that last panel both look like people standing in a static pose, not throwing a huge punch/dodging with lightning speed. Modern Marvel is really in love with this school of illustration that has a lot of superficial gingerbread (you can see every off-puttingly fat, shiny scale on Cap's armor) plastered onto forms that are fundamentally stiff. I'll take the exact opposite - bold, rough lines over high-energy, dynamic poses - every time.

The faces are off. Wolverine seems to have a stronger jaw than Cap, who appears to be made of melting wax. He also doesn't look to be eighteen inches shorter (to be fair, a lot of artists, even otherwise good ones, are bad at comparative height).

The overall panel-to-panel layout and storytelling is good, though. I'll say that. You can tell what's going on and one panel isn't suddenly, like, a trapezoid for no apparent reason.

rRwz9.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Wolverine in the 80's (and some of the 90's) was always clearly shorter than basically everyone else (except Jubilee and Shadowcat).

Ever since a certain tall sexy Aussie actor portrayed him in a few movies, Wolvy has been a great deal taller for the most part.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2012

That would have been fine if he'd just zoomed-in for the second panel, because then we already know what's behind them (the wall). Instead, the camera spun 180 degrees, inviting questions about what's in the magic hallway of darkness.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    superhero comics are dumb

Tav wrote: »

mmhmm

rRwz9.gif
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'm am still so high with glee over the Avengers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

plotting to stab you with my cardboard wolverine claws

They're in front of a dark hallway.

here's a good example of dynamic posing
    Avengers_274_21.jpg

it works both ways, too. look how hercules in the second panel is straight and stiff. nobody could hold that pose for more than a millisecond, visually implying the enormous speed he is being spun at.

rRwz9.gif
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    japan wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    you seriously pronounce the letter Z as "Zed"?

that's so bizarre

Yes.

This is also why some motorbikes get different names in Europe and the US. For example, ZZR1400 sounds ridiculous if you pronounce it the american way, although weirdly ZX-6R, ZX-10R are the same in both territories.

I think it's just because you aren't used to how we pronounce it. To me saying zed zed arr sounds really silly, but zee zee arr sounds perfectly find. Same with cars 300 zee ecks sounds perfectly good to me, 300 zed ecks sounds awesomely silly.

EDIT: I'm so behind :(

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Drunk Hercules is a complete wuss.

I don't dislike them, but there's so much alternate universes, timeline changing, different concurrent arcs and other such nonsense that I really find it hard to care. I like stuff like Watchmen because it is self-contained inside one book, there are not a lot of comics like that.

Z should be known as "letter who shall not be named."

I don't dislike them, but there's so much alternate universes, timeline changing, different concurrent arcs and other such nonsense that I really find it hard to care. I like stuff like Watchmen because it is self-contained inside one book, there are not a lot of comics like that.

there are tons and tons of comics like that, but you don't read them, so why would you know about them?

rRwz9.gif

I'm in the same boat, even though it's understood that it's just a function of economics.

Tobacco companies don't want to sell you just one pack of cigarettes, either!

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

there are tons and tons of comics like that, but you don't read them, so why would you know about them?

Word. You don't even have to look hard to find them.

yGxvf.png
    I love the new Transformers comics. They are robots that die and stay dead, that is so weird yet so wonderful at the same time.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

yeah there are lots like that

the quality of one-shots can be inconsistent, though, it's hard to tell whether you're picking up high concept or pulp without ruminating over the contents for a bit, and even going by name can be tricky

aRkpc.gif
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Apart from that rubbish art, Cap would not sucker-punch someone for not listening.

He might sucker-punch someone so he could take their place on a suicide mission. And he'd apologise for it too.

So either that's shitty characterisation or Cap has changed for the worse since the days when I read Marvel.

I figure I could take a bear.

Because when looking for recommendations, it's like "Read Watchmen, then League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and then read all these Marvel hardbacks where each character has twenty years of backstory but ignore that!"

This is what customers mostly buy these days:

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Guys what is a great movie that has come out in the last 6 months and is not about comic books

edited May 2012
    TL DR wrote: »
    Guys what is a great movie that has come out in the last 6 months and is not about comic books

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

easily one of the best movies I've seen in a dog's age

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Tinker Tailor is the boss.

poshniallo wrote: »
    Apart from that rubbish art, Cap would not sucker-punch someone for not listening.

He might sucker-punch someone so he could take their place on a suicide mission. And he'd apologise for it too.

So either that's shitty characterisation or Cap has changed for the worse since the days when I read Marvel.

The whole event is basically "people who should be best buds fighting at the drop of a hat" so though I agree with you, they do kinda set up a decent scenario for Cap to slug Logan so I try and ignore it.

poshniallo wrote: »

I think it's the former, unfortunately. As ronya said, they struggle mightily hard to fit these characters' round pegs into the dumb plot's square hole.

rRwz9.gif
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    lots of peeps enjoyed cabin in the woods a great deal. I haven't seen it yet, but I remember lots of people raving about it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Cabin in the Woods is also the boss.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Empty hedgie is empty.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The mining animation in Skyrim is so bad. My character looks like he is 90 when mining.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, there are plenty of self-contained stories. You just have to, you know, actually read them.

Just finished watching Evil Dead, cleaning the apartment, having afew beers.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

...Are you trying to say that they're hard to find because they're not on a top 10 sales list?

Because if so, I don't know what to say to you.

yGxvf.png
    The mining animation in Skyrim is so bad. My character looks like he is 90 when mining.

You mine in the third person?

Heathen.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Oh good, someone else noticed that

My Skyrim character is so rich he doesn't need to mine.

4million Skyrim dollars = I don't pick up shit no mo' baby.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Alright, just got back from my Dad's place where i played my card game with him. i think i elegantly solved a problem and I got more insight on how to make the game better. PROGRESS!

edited May 2012

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

...Are you trying to say that they're hard to find because they're not on a top 10 sales list?

Because if so, I don't know what to say to you.

lol no, sorry about the confusion. Just as in my previous post, I'm making an argument that serialized comics are simply more profitable and tend to sell better than one-offs.

Form of Monkey! on
This discussion has been closed.