As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    My Not-A-Phalla game needs replacements (one inactive and needing replacement immediately, and I can sub in others for folks that are playing but don't have the time coming up shortly).

Check the thread, give it a whirl!

OrokosPA.png
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    About 45 minutes until I take the exam again. I feel more confident than I was before... But I'm still scared shitless. I don't want to be out $300 again.

Goooo urahonky! Dooo eeeet. You can do it!

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Success! Got a 70% on the exam. Woo! Lots of weight off my shoulders.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Things are coming up honky!

Edit:
    Infidel wrote: »
    My Not-A-Phalla game needs replacements (one inactive and needing replacement immediately, and I can sub in others for folks that are playing but don't have the time coming up shortly).

Check the thread, give it a whirl!

I have given it a whirl, and it is good stuff! =)

If you do join, hit me up, and I shall totally not lead you astray. Ha. Ha. Ha. Joke, ya?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    Hahah, that works better than what I posted ecco. :P

Grats.

OrokosPA.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular

Congratulations. Aside from the certification, did you find the time studying was worth it for what you learned or was the piece of paper the bulk of what you got out of it?
    Infidel wrote: »

I'd sign up if I wasn't heading out of town for work. It sounds interesting enough.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular

Congrats man, good job!

an_alt wrote: »

Congratulations. Aside from the certification, did you find the time studying was worth it for what you learned or was the piece of paper the bulk of what you got out of it?

I did learn a lot. However the test was definitely BS. I mean 99% of the questions you could figure out with Netbeans or Eclipse within 5 seconds.

And thanks again guys! You all helped me out.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    grats honky. maybe you're headache will go away, too :-)

Joe K wrote: »
    grats honky. maybe you're headache will go away, too :-)

That would be wonderful.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Nice going man!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    what cert was the exam for?

I can't be bothered to look back through pages :D

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    jaziek wrote: »
    what cert was the exam for?

I can't be bothered to look back through pages :D

Java 1.6 :P

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh C++...how I've missed thee...kinda.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What is the best way for asking for something until it is in a dictionary's keys in python? Like
    key = 'roflroflrofl'
    while (key not in someDict.keys()):
        key = raw_input('Please input desired key: ')
    print someDict[key]

Basically I'm not sure what to set key to to start with. This is sort of like a do-while I guess.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Your dictionary is unlikely to have None as a key right? Use that if so.
    key = None
    while (key not in someDict):
        key = ...

Don't call keys(), since you're now looking at a list and have to search it, instead of relying on the hashing of the key in the dict itself.

OrokosPA.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh. I thought that would look for "key" in the key:value pairs, and thus would never find it.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    'in' against a dictionary always assumes against keys.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2012
    None *might* show up in the dict if I'm not careful because it's filled from data parsed from a csv and who knows wtf might be in there if something goes wrong.
    So after parsing it I'll just ensure None is not a key, and if it is complain and give up. I'm already checking to make sure it isn't empty...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Anyone familiar using Ninject w/ MVC?

None *might* show up in the dict if I'm not careful because it's filled from data parsed from a csv and who knows wtf might be in there if something goes wrong.
    So after parsing it I'll just ensure None is not a key, and if it is complain and give up. I'm already checking to make sure it isn't empty...

None is different from an empty string so the only way a CSV parser would put None is if you explicitly did so I would think.

OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2012
    In case you are wondering why I am asking all these python questions, I'm writing a Naive Bayes classifier to study for my Web Data Analysis class. Interesting stuff.

http://codepad.org/wRxkWKSx

It doesn't handle categorical data yet.

edit: I fixed it, so now it agrees with the Wikipedia example. The bug was, on line 74 I needed to use the probability that something was in a class in general.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What is the best way for asking for something until it is in a dictionary's keys in python? Like
    key = 'roflroflrofl'
    while (key not in someDict.keys()):
        key = raw_input('Please input desired key: ')
    print someDict[key]

Basically I'm not sure what to set key to to start with. This is sort of like a do-while I guess.

Don't start with a random key that may accidentally end up in the dictionary, instead ask for the key first and then enter the while loop.

khain on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I'm starting work for class on a C# program with a GUI to handle booking passengers for an airline. The main problem here is, I have to hook it up to a database which will handle all the data. I don't know how or even where to start. Any clues on that note?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    So I'm starting work for class on a C# program with a GUI to handle booking passengers for an airline. The main problem here is, I have to hook it up to a database which will handle all the data. I don't know how or even where to start. Any clues on that note?

What database? Or are you asking which database to use?

You're best bet is to use an ORM like Entity Framework or nHibernate, but which one to use depends on which database you want/need to use. You can do pure ADO.NET to just do really raw database stuff, but I don't recommend it.

Almost always your class will be a little more specific on what they want you to do, database wise. Just ask them if they're not telling you much up front and see.

OrokosPA.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Actually, yeah, never mind. Looks like I just skipped over a link which provides an example of what she wants us to do.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Anyone familiar using Ninject w/ MVC?

Never mind. The problem was me being an idiot. As usual. :lol::cry:

• ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    congrats honky

Yes good job!

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    honky gets to answer all the java questions now. :P

wildwood wrote: »
    honky gets to answer all the java questions now. :P

Don't make the mistake thinking it is an exam that provides anything useful! :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hah Java, it's funny, you see.

Also my attempts at thread synchronization involve locks around objects. And never use more than 1 lock object usually.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2012
    Haha I'll try my best to help anyone with questions... But be warned I will just Google it.

Also thanks :)

urahonky on
    So for some reason, in Visual Studio 11, I cannot get my project to be read as a Visual Basic instead of C#. Does anyone know how to do this? My code generation gives me a xaml file and xaml.vb file... And I cannot get this project to read that so my click events aren't working.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's trying to save you from the terribleness

The project's solution files determine what part of visual studio it opens up with I thought.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2012
    IE, you'll have csproj or vbproj yes? Maybe it's different in version 11, I guess.

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.