As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I don't dislike them, but there's so much alternate universes, timeline changing, different concurrent arcs and other such nonsense that I really find it hard to care. I like stuff like Watchmen because it is self-contained inside one book, there are not a lot of comics like that.

there are tons and tons of comics like that, but you don't read them, so why would you know about them?

Because when looking for recommendations, it's like "Read Watchmen, then League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and then read all these Marvel hardbacks where each character has twenty years of backstory but ignore that!"

how do you think anyone gets into comics, though? like, I started reading Marvels when I was six. I didn't have an encyclopedic command of the history, I just went with what the little text box at the top of the comic said - a couple sentences with the main character's name and what they did, and we were off to the races. a good story will tell you what you need to know in the course of the story.

rRwz9.gif
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I just wait for Bruce Timm to make a show about it.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The mining animation in Skyrim is so bad. My character looks like he is 90 when mining.

You mine in the third person?

Heathen.

It automatically goes into the third person when you mine. I play in first person view.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I don't dislike them, but there's so much alternate universes, timeline changing, different concurrent arcs and other such nonsense that I really find it hard to care. I like stuff like Watchmen because it is self-contained inside one book, there are not a lot of comics like that.

there are tons and tons of comics like that, but you don't read them, so why would you know about them?

Word. You don't even have to look hard to find them.

This is what customers mostly buy these days:

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

...Are you trying to say that they're hard to find because they're not on a top 10 sales list?

Because if so, I don't know what to say to you.

lol no, sorry about the confusion. Just as in my previous post, I'm making an argument that serialized comics are simply more profitable and tend to sell better than one-offs.

Oh yeah. Gotta bring those suckers in.

There's lots of self-contained books even about popular characters though, they just don't tend to have huge, unending runs.

yGxvf.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

...Are you trying to say that they're hard to find because they're not on a top 10 sales list?

but this isn't the same as music where a song can be in the charts for weeks and on the radio for months. There's a much quicker turnover for comics and finding (a) useful reviews and information about comics not by Marvel/DC and (b) the actual comics in the store (Maybe I've got a tougher time of this because loleurope) is a pain in the arse.

It's definitely a pasttime with a high time and cost barrier to entry.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Cabin in the Woods was co-written by Whedon and so was The Avengers and they're so completely different. Like, Cabin in the Woods had Whedon moments all over it but The Avengers felt like nothing he'd ever done before.

It was kind of unsettling but in a good way.

Is this drawing of Reed and Susan Richards fucking while Reed covertly stretches his hands to a computer that is attributed to Bruce Timm really drawn by Bruce Timm?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Marvel/DC bend over backwards to spell out the important historical info of a character in every issue. It has been a constant for as long as I've been reading comics and my mind just auto filters out when I read about this guy named Uncle Ben who taught Spider-Man about power and responsibility.

uncleBen.jpg
    FYI: Not this Uncle Ben.

Love you Uncle Ben

Caveman Paws on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Every one-shot's blurb and description claims to be high concept, but there's Sturgeon's Law in full effect

aRkpc.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Is this drawing of Reed and Susan Richards fucking while Reed covertly stretches his hands to a computer that is attributed to Bruce Timm really drawn by Bruce Timm?

I've seen Bruce Timm draw some naked ladies but never something like that

rRwz9.gif
    whoop haha yeah that is totally Bruce Timm! hahahaha

rRwz9.gif
    I don't think I'd feel comfortable meeting most comic book artists in person.

So pervy.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Self Contained Stories:

Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Ronin
    Sin City
    All-Star Superman
    Superman For All Seasons
    Hellboy
    Zero Girl
    Cowboy Ninja Viking
    The Criminal Series
    Daredevil by Frank Miller
    Daredevil: Redemption

If you like certain heroes, there are self-contained stories that don't require more than a basic grasp of the character to get into.

whoop haha yeah that is totally Bruce Timm! hahahaha

Yeah I've seen his nude stuff but this is quite different.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable meeting most comic book artists in person.

So pervy.

I've met tons and they've all been great, honestly. Particular props to Steve Lieber, JH Williams III, and Zander Cannon. Even legendarily assholish John Byrne was a totally chill dude the time I met him (granted this was still when he had all his teeth and wasn't completely crazy).

rRwz9.gif
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The mining animation in Skyrim is so bad. My character looks like he is 90 when mining.

You mine in the third person?

Heathen.

It auto-switches, nub

Also, the only "issue" I have with traditional comics (and a lot of archetypal-based writing) in themselves is that, by definition, the characters "have to" (that is, it is expected to) conform to certain identities and behaviors. It feels static, even with reboots and etc. I need my fake people becoming.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Look at deez buns:

xzNei.gif

tumblr_lwo835lyzS1qgu2vjo1_1280.jpg

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

but this isn't the same as music where a song can be in the charts for weeks and on the radio for months. There's a much quicker turnover for comics and finding (a) useful reviews and information about comics not by Marvel/DC and (b) the actual comics in the store (Maybe I've got a tougher time of this because loleurope) is a pain in the arse.

This is not true. Like, not even a little bit. Most series don't conclude after one issue. If it's good, people talk about it for months. In particular, they usually talk about it on new comic boom day. If you really want to do this, visit a few publisher's websites, read the blurbs on some comics. Then read reviews on the ones that interest you.

It's really that simple. Anything else is just being lazy.

(spoilered for image)
    pEsuT.png

I just looked on forums for the best self-contained comics and I got like a million recommendations.

Seriously, that's how I got into comic books.

yGxvf.png
    edited May 2012
    A-ha, Timm did a whole book of "good girl" art. Obviously I can't link to it, but it's good stuff!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    arggggggg damn my back hurts

just finished mowing the lawn and there is one muscle right in the center of the small of my back that just hates that.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    I asked on here and got recommended We3. That was a good comic. It was exactly what I was looking for!

edited May 2012
    Also, comics aren't expensive. They're $3. You could read ten series a month for a pretty minor investment. That's 300+ pages of comics each month.

Vanguard on
    edited May 2012
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Also, comics qn't expensive. They're $3. You could read ten series a month for a pretty minor investment. That's 300+ pages of comics each month.

I'm in Europe and apparently exchange rates don't apply to comics!

edit: And being a part-time working college student doesn't help either.

Tav on
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Also, comics qn't expensive. They're $3. You could read ten series a month for a pretty minor investment. That's 300+ pages of comics each month.

I'm in Europe and apparently exchange rates don't apply to comics!

Even after the exchange rate, I doubt they're breaking the bank. Do you have a smart phone? A tablet? You can get digital comics for a little cheaper, usually.

edited May 2012
    arggggggg damn my back hurts

just finished mowing the lawn and there is one muscle right in the center of the small of my back that just hates that.

I lied my way out of hanging out with someone I really didn't want to waste time on by claiming back injury after mowing the lawn yesterday...

OMG!

When I lie, the lie comes real for RiemannLives D:

Sorry duder.

Caveman Paws on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Super moon is super.

_J_ wrote: »
    Super moon is super.

Oh man I forgot to go out last night with my binoculars. Gonna do that now.

It was cloudy last night so I drank scotch instead of super mooning.

Hopefully tonight it is clear.

Super moon is super.

It's all moony.

IT'S CLOUDY

FUCK THIS GAY ATMOSPHERE

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Super moon is super.

well, if by "super" you mean the full moon at it's closest possible approach to earth is 14% larger than at its absolute furthest then yes.

The difference is too small for a human to notice by a long way. Though in general any full moon is good times to break out the telescope. This particular one just one be any moreso than usual.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Super moon is super.

It's all moony.

*shiver*

Say it again

slower...

Super moon is super.

It's all moony.

*shiver*

Say it again

slower...

It's all...

mooooony.

Mim wrote: »
    Look at deez buns:

[IMG]http://i.im gur.com/xzNei.gif[/IMG]

Mim that is like the worst part of that man.

I JUDGE YOU

yGxvf.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Say, where did The Order and Agents of Atlas go, anyway? Runaways is still popping up in assorted stuff but these people seem to have dropped off the map.

aRkpc.gif
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hey hey. Itz quite a moon this evening, yeah.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    scanning my sketchbook, setting up a personal blog so i can track my progress

a lot of what i drew was like, scenes from the hunter game we played yesterday

it`s all shitty though

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    In Captain America, why didn't they use people who were already good and try to turn them into supersoldiers instead of trying to use weaklings? It seems like that would be easier and a stepping stone to the weaklings into supersoldiers.

This discussion has been closed.