As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Video Game Kickstarter Thread

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah, posted that a couple days ago (look a few posts up on this page). Scamming people out of hundreds of thousands of dollars isn't a trivial proposition when you have to do it in public for everyone to see.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Given that nobody pays anything until the thing has been before the scrutiny of the community for a month it's going to be really hard to pull off actual deception on a grand scale like that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    There's a JRPG kickstart that was brought-up a few pages back that smelled all kinds of fraudulent to me.

I mean, it's kind of inevitable that somebody is going to take the money and run (or take the money and impulsively blow it all foolishly); I just hope everyone doesn't completely flip their shit when it happens.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If it takes internet forum communities to police this thing then we're kind of in trouble

this isn't exactly wikipedia

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well, the community has been pretty good at not funding scam-looking projects, and we've exposed at least one of the actual scams.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Heh

i-jbBQTJT-X2.jpg

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Seems legit to me.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

It seems to take a lot of updates and outside press to get help get a project funded. A scam would have to find content to put in updates and pass media scrutiny to get any large amount of money.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I went ahead and chipped in $30 to Republique. I don't have an iOS device so I wasn't interested at all before, but the PC release could be interesting. Kind of doubtful that they'll meet their funding at this point though.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I now have a kickstarter that I'm seriously tempted to throw money at: Drifter

I wouldn't be able to play the iOS version, but a PC rendition would be wonderful. I know an Android version would never appear, but I'll take what I can get.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The neck hair is what convinced me.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I think I'll have my Lambo painted hot pink.

Drifter looks pretty neat. I'm not sure how much mileage I'd get out of it, though.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DapperDaveDapperDave Registered User regular
    Am I allowed to plug my own Kickstarter in this thread?

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Yes, this is the right place for that. Definitely looks like a fun game, though I worry a bit that you aren't setting aside much of the money from the kickstarter to pay yourselves for all the time and effort you're putting into the game. Congrats on already hitting some overfunding goals, though, and I hope you'll be able to make the trip out to PAX prime.

Boot Hill Heroes - for those of us who want spaghetti westerns in our 16-bit RPG.
    Screenshot1.png

• Options
    Darian wrote: »
    Yes, this is the right place for that. Definitely looks like a fun game, though I worry a bit that you aren't setting aside much of the money from the kickstarter to pay yourselves for all the time and effort you're putting into the game. Congrats on already hitting some overfunding goals, though, and I hope you'll be able to make the trip out to PAX prime.

Boot Hill Heroes - for those of us who want spaghetti westerns in our 16-bit RPG.
    Screenshot1.png

Thanks Darian! We're eternally thankful to our backers for their help. We wouldn't want to use any money for ourselves since the game won't be free and the funding is just to help move things along. Our policy is to make sure the money goes towards things that cost money (as opposed to things that cost time like more levels and game features), so that way everyone will know exactly where there money is going and can decide if they feel like the cause is worthy.

Hope we'll make it to PAX too. We are filling out the booth application right now. We had such an awesome time at PAX East as visitors and are looking forward to meeting more great people as exhibitors.

Anyway, here's some info about our game, Boot Hill Heroes:

Screenshot3.png

Plot Summary

After an alleged attack by the Chepakwik Indians, the people of Bronco County are on the brink of war. Only a farm boy who knows the truth that can stop it. Together with his three friends - a gunslinging desperado, an Indian princess, and a calamity jane - he must expose a conspiracy by bringing to justice the six outlaws of the notorious Saints-Little gang. Their journey will take them through cowtowns, Indian villages, ranches, gold mines, prisons, and into the very heart and soul of the American Wild West. But on their epic adventure to right the wrongs of the past, will they see justice done or discover an even darker secret lying in wait behind the scenes?

Screenshot6.png

About Boot Hill Heroes

Take one part Final Fantasy, one part Earthbound, and one part Chrono Trigger - then dip the whole thing in spicy Wild West sauce! Boot Hill Heroes is a true retro RPG set in the American Wild West. You'll find all the trappings of a spaghetti western - gunslingers, saloons, Indians, ranches, spittoons, Mexican standoffs, heroism, villainy, and everything in between. Boot Hill Heroes has adventure, drama, and a fair helping of humor. It's just like the classic RPGs you remember from yesteryear but with an inventive new spin!

Game Features

Genre: Retro RPG, Spaghetti Western
    Players: 1-4 Local Co-op
    Full Release Target: October 2012
    Platform: Windows / Xbox 360 - Xbox Live Indie Games

Spaghetti Western story with adventure, drama, and humor
    4-Player Cooperative combat inspired by Final Fantasy III/VI
    Use Power Points in combat to attack as well as defend
    Wear Job Hats, learn new abilities
    Charming graphics inspired by Earthbound

WantedPoster.gif

Homepage: Experimental Gamer
    Kickstarter: Boot Hill Heroes

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I guess the line is
    The Ender wrote: »
    There's a JRPG kickstart that was brought-up a few pages back that smelled all kinds of fraudulent to me.

I mean, it's kind of inevitable that somebody is going to take the money and run (or take the money and impulsively blow it all foolishly); I just hope everyone doesn't completely flip their shit when it happens.

This one? I doubt it's a scam, as they've openly admitted it's being made with RPG Maker, which would explain why it looks the way it does. I was thinking about backing it to get a link to my website on their dev blog, but I think the cost of admission to get the actual game is too high for an RPG Maker product. It's 5 dollars more than The Banner Saga.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    The game looks pretty cool. Is that Wanted poster screenshot a reference to Sunset Riders?

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    The game looks pretty cool. Is that Wanted poster screenshot a reference to Sunset Riders?

Nah, just a different Wild West style game. It's gotta have wanted posters.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Even though it's really nothing like it, seeing that Boot Hill Heroes game reminded me of that interesting Lone Ranger game for the NES.

I went ahead and chipped in $15.

• Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    darleysam wrote: »
    I now have a kickstarter that I'm seriously tempted to throw money at: Drifter

I wouldn't be able to play the iOS version, but a PC rendition would be wonderful. I know an Android version would never appear, but I'll take what I can get.

I just donated to this one. Seems like a pretty cool game already and I loved Privateer and later, Freespace. I've had an itch for these types of games recently, even going so far as to replay Freelancer, which actually still holds up fairly well, minus the cutscenes of course. heh

Anyway, yeah. Hope this one reaches it's goal. It looks great.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    CGSColinCGSColin Registered User regular
    awesome hyperspace jump sound

Oh hey, I remembered my password!

Just wanted to pop by and say thanks for mentioning Drifter! I also hope it reaches its goal :)

http://celsiusgs.com/ - There's a vicious rumor floating around saying that I make video games.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    if we make it to 400k we'll hire Brownie Brown to make it look even more like a Mother 3 ripoff!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    if we make it to 400k we'll hire Brownie Brown to make it look even more like a Mother 3 ripoff!

I was coming here to say that. Thanks XoB.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Well, Yogventures! has ended at a little over $500k.

Now the fun really begins.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    What is the appeal of Yogventures?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What is the appeal of Yogventures?

If nothing else it's the appeal of Minecraft with an actual modding system. Plus all the other stuff on the page.

• Options
    PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    Hey, I was really apprehensive about posting my game's Kickstarter in this thread because of the forum rules, but since this kind of thing appears to have been blessed, I'm going to go ahead and do it. It's a JRPG-style character study about the nature of power and violence. We're also trying to exhibit at PAX Prime, but a lot of our plans are contingent on meeting the funding goal.

Please let us know what you think!

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    As far as I know, the forum rules are about posting in unrelated threads, or posting new threads to promote your game. It's on-topic here, no worries.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Pasty wrote: »
    Hey, I was really apprehensive about posting my game's Kickstarter in this thread because of the forum rules, but since this kind of thing appears to have been blessed, I'm going to go ahead and do it. It's a JRPG-style character study about the nature of power and violence. We're also trying to exhibit at PAX Prime, but a lot of our plans are contingent on meeting the funding goal.

Please let us know what you think!

If I may make a suggestion, you may want to put more of an emphasis on the fact that you have a playable demo, rather than a footnote link at the bottom of the Kickstarter. That seems like something of a waste all the way down there.

• Options
    CompTopGamesCompTopGames CTGJon Providence, RIRegistered User regular
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to drop a line to announce the start of our own small fundraising campaign.

The game is a turn based strategy game based in a 100% original SciFi universe. The aim of the game is to emphasize PvP and social gaming, much like the way table top gaming does. The prototype for the game is currently in the works and we should have a playable version sometime later this summer.

Thanks for reading and we hope you check it out!

Second Contact: Turn-based social gaming.
    http://computertopgames.blogspot.com/
  • Options

Ouch! Well we're fans of that visual style and trying to recapture elements of it here, but it's tough to hear that it looks like a ripoff.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to drop a line to announce the start of our own small fundraising campaign.

The game is a turn based strategy game based in a 100% original SciFi universe. The aim of the game is to emphasize PvP and social gaming, much like the way table top gaming does. The prototype for the game is currently in the works and we should have a playable version sometime later this summer.

Opting to use IndieGoGo is going to hurt you.

Using their flexible funding is effectively suicide.

Edit: Wait, this is just for you to do concept art. You asked about this before, it's really not a good idea to break it down like this.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I guess the line is
    The Ender wrote: »

This one? I doubt it's a scam, as they've openly admitted it's being made with RPG Maker, which would explain why it looks the way it does. I was thinking about backing it to get a link to my website on their dev blog, but I think the cost of admission to get the actual game is too high for an RPG Maker product. It's 5 dollars more than The Banner Saga.

I don't believe this is a "scam." I think the developer truly believes in his project. There are just a lot of signs that he may be naive about game development and won't be able to deliver. And of course a lot of us are looking at that $40K and thinking, "Gee, that doesn't seem quite fair considering what he's put out there so far." But best of luck to him.

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I wonder if that's even the one Edge was originally referring too.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Opting to use IndieGoGo is going to hurt you.

Using their flexible funding is effectively suicide.
    Stretch Goal #1: $2,000+

If we make it past our initial goal, the extra funds will be used to contract our ar
    That's a really good stretch goal. I hope you guys get to contract your ar.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    This thread has taken a sharp turn.

Used to be like the corner bar where you could talk about kickstarters bluntly with othen PAers. Fund this, lol that, did you see how inexplicably shitty Richard Garfield's muddy, location-based, iOS project was?

Now very suddenly its a consulate, with reps from foreign lands coming to speak to us.

I'm not complaining. Both are cool. Just remarkable how quickly one seems to have become the other.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    If I may make a suggestion, you may want to put more of an emphasis on the fact that you have a playable demo, rather than a footnote link at the bottom of the Kickstarter. That seems like something of a waste all the way down there.

We had one at the top, but if it was missed that easily, it was probably useless anyway. Fixed; thanks for pointing this out.

Also, Erythia: Shattered Dreams is a good alternative to Echoes of Eternia. It's still RPGMaker, but it's from people who seem to know what they're doing (and at least one of them is an RPGMaker community veteran, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective).

Pasty on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    For those looking to promote their kickstarter projects of a PC/console game nature, we might be able to help each other. I run a fairly new website (link in my sig) and we need new things to write about ( I can't afford to buy a new game every other day). If you are willing to provide us with demo code (I won't write about anything I haven't played) we'll do a piece on your project. I can't guarantee I'll say nice things, I'll only be honest, but we will send you the article before publication and you can always say no (that doesn't mean we'll edit things on demand, it's just up to you whether we post what we thought or not).

At the moment we get around 200 unique visitors a day, which isn't a large number but they're still potential customers. If you're interested the contact details are on the website, free publicity!

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I pitched in on that echos game just so they could make more concept art. Its so good. For realsies.

The actual game will probably be terrible. Oh well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarter projects I have absolutely nothing to do with and that inexplicably don't have their own threads, the Grim Dawn (aka "the spiritual sequel to Titan Quest", aka "the game with a name so generic you forget it the moment after you say it") kickstarter has hit its initial funding goal with 11 days left.

This discussion has been closed.