As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• PvtCaboosePvtCaboose Halifax NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tend to remember where I am based on landscape but sometimes it gets difficult so I know what you mean. You can either create in game maps which I'm not a huge fan of. Another option is leave a torch trail to follow. Lastly you can go the easiest route and use Rei's Minimap mod. That has the option to mark on the map where you died. Gives you location and distance. You can also add your own markers for stuff like, home, farm, mine. The important stuff. minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-125-apr19-reis-minimap-v30-06/

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    The lava bucket thing is weird to me. Make sure you're not trying to scoop lava that's moving, is my best guess.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    Don't carry much with you unless you're moving your home. Carry only what you can afford to lose.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The lava bucket thing is weird to me. Make sure you're not trying to scoop lava that's moving, is my best guess.

Ah, well it was moving...but how to stop it i wonder. I did play with running it into a little pit but it like filled half the pit (The right half not the bottom half) and just hung in midair ignoring the other half of the pit.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ThrakeshThrakesh Registered User regular
    Hey Azith,

I am guessing you were trying to get a non-source block.

You can only pick up water and lava source blocks - these (as the name implies) are the source of the water or lava you are trying to take. If you see a waterfall, the water that flows away from the falls is not a source block, so you will not be able to take it. Ditto on lava. Generally, if you find a pool of still lava, you should be able to take a block from anywhere on the surface, and sometimes below the surface, but eventually, you will run out of source blocks (and if you take the last source block, eventually the remaining lava disappears).

Check out the minecraft wiki - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page for more info - just start with the basics for now, but keep that page in mind - it really helps when you get into redstone and the more complex tools in the game.

azith28 wrote: »

Ah, well it was moving...but how to stop it i wonder. I did play with running it into a little pit but it like filled half the pit (The right half not the bottom half) and just hung in midair ignoring the other half of the pit.

One big thing in MC that probably needs revision is how fluids work. They're not very intuitive.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    So for anyone interested in the 0x10^c ARG, there is a stream of someone working on the data. Notch changed the data stream to nothing (noise) almost an hour ago and people expect it to pick up with a new message in ~ 10 minutes (on the full hour).

• IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfUYpKygeEU

I want to go there.

Edit: because of phone post

Ingram on
    jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    So last night I decided to install optifine.

Not only was it incredibly easy, I am now able to run around the sever with max view distance and my favorite 32x32 "HD" texture pack.

Its so fucking awesome. I am honestly thinking about planning a trip to ispawnbul just to see if I can make it crash.

At the same time, a blue horizontal line appeared in my monitor, about 1/4 of the way in on the left. While its mildly annoying, it at least gives me a nice straight line I can base right angles off of while building in minecraft. Silver lining, ho!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Browsing the Minecraft mod forums I found a mod that allows you to write, read, and use books like in the Myst games. Meaning you can create new dimensions to travel to and if you fuck up while writing the age it will grow more and more unstable and start to decay. You also have to remember to bring along a linking book otherwise you'll be stuck in the new age (though I don't know how dying would work, I guess if you didn't bring a bed you'd respawn back in the other world?)

Anyway, I just thought it was really cool so I figured I'd share it with you guys.

JtgVX0H.png
  • dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Browsing the Minecraft mod forums I found a mod that allows you to write, read, and use books like in the Myst games. Meaning you can create new dimensions to travel to and if you fuck up while writing the age it will grow more and more unstable and start to decay. You also have to remember to bring along a linking book otherwise you'll be stuck in the new age (though I don't know how dying would work, I guess if you didn't bring a bed you'd respawn back in the other world?)

Anyway, I just thought it was really cool so I figured I'd share it with you guys.

i love myst, thou i felt myst 5 was to linear and very dry and boring. also the drawing puzzles were to touchy.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ingram wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfUYpKygeEU

I want to go there.

Edit: because of phone post

Is there a mod to make potion's effects permanent, or at least without a timer? Because I'm envisioning giant Golems guarding temples and giant Spider Riders roaming deserts and Shadow of the Creeperlossus.

Seriously, build a vast mini-world, giant single enemy, shrink yourself ... fun times.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    So last night I decided to install optifine.

Not only was it incredibly easy, I am now able to run around the sever with max view distance and my favorite 32x32 "HD" texture pack.

Its so fucking awesome. I am honestly thinking about planning a trip to ispawnbul just to see if I can make it crash.

At the same time, a blue horizontal line appeared in my monitor, about 1/4 of the way in on the left. While its mildly annoying, it at least gives me a nice straight line I can base right angles off of while building in minecraft. Silver lining, ho!

That's either drivers being out of date or incompatible (which is basically saying the same thing, it's just if they're out of date you have an option to fix it).

• apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    So a couple of days back I made an SE++ minecraft group for you guys on steam. Its invite only, if you want in pick a person and nag them until they send you an invitation! I'm hoping we might distribute some server event notifications through it, but that depends entirely how productive I am feeling.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SEplusplusMinecraft

• JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    [Bump+more questions]
    Questions on NPC villages:
    Ended up thoroughly reading the Minecraft page on villagers and found out you can indeed make a villager spawner. Is it cool if I make the 21 houses necessary for an iron golem to spawn? (Mostly in the form of a prison, since a 'house' is a door with more blocks on one side.) I want to make a public iron golem grinder, but I don't want to put too much stress on the server.

Are there ways to protect doors from zombies aside from iron golems? I was originally thinking about putting an iron door in front of the wooden door and having a small hallway in front of the wooden one, but then villagers may be trapped inside/outside and if it's avoidable I'd like to. I'd also really like to avoid walls around the village.

(Turns out the village wasn't annihilated! Villagers remain! Reconstruction in progress.)

Image of a non-aesthetic villager spawner:
    2012-02-17_20.01.55.png

Image of a iron golem grinder
    800px-Iron-golem-lava-trap.png

edited May 2012
    JpsCrazy wrote: »
    [Bump+more questions]
    Ended up thoroughly reading the Minecraft page on villagers and found out you can indeed make a villager spawner. Is it cool if I make the 21 houses necessary for an iron golem to spawn? (Mostly in the form of a prison, since a 'house' is a door with more blocks on one side.) I want to make a public iron golem grinder, but I don't want to put too much stress on the server.

Are there ways to protect doors from zombies aside from iron golems? I was originally thinking about putting an iron door in front of the wooden door and having a small hallway in front of the wooden one, but then villagers may be trapped inside/outside and if it's avoidable I'd like to. I'd also really like to avoid walls around the village.

(Turns out the village wasn't annihilated! Villagers remain! Reconstruction in progress.)

2012-02-17_20.01.55.png

So for the moment I'm not saying don't do this, but it seems really damn inefficient to me. Iron's incredibly easy to acquire as is. To your question about doors, apart from building defenses around the village there is no way to prevent door destruction.

The Good Doctor Tran on
    [Bump+more questions]

2012-02-17_20.01.55.png

So for the moment I'm not saying don't do this, but it seems really damn inefficient to me. Iron's incredibly easy to acquire as is. To your question about doors, apart from building defenses around the village there is no way to prevent door destruction.

well you can use iron doors, villagers can't open them thou because it requires a button or lever.
    i dread the day when villagers push buttons and pull levers. they will set off tnt, activate traps.....

• greygrey Registered User regular
    It will be glorious!

• ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It'd been a couple months since I logged into the server and Minecraft is apparently a civics simulator now too. My house got eminent domained for a train station and the surrounding area has completely gentrified.

ffaristocrat on
    [Bump+more questions]

2012-02-17_20.01.55.png

well you can use iron doors, villagers can't open them thou because it requires a button or lever.
    i dread the day when villagers push buttons and pull levers. they will set off tnt, activate traps.....

Soon, soon I'll have a rat maze that villagers will have to use their tiny artificial brains to find the right way out without setting off too many traps.

Anywho, I won't be making the grinder in that case. It was just a matter of 'Oooh, let's see what I can do!' and having an unlimited amount of iron is tempting, no matter the inefficiency. I'm all about doing as little work as possible. (watch this be the post that screws me over for getting another job)

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Depending on who you talk to in game this line of inquiry is either loved or hates but...

What is the plausibility of a new map? Maybe keep everything within x many chunks of Ispawnbul so the communal area is still there and wipe the rest so jungles and modern villages can spawn?

Could we run a poll to see how many people would like a new map? I used to think this was a minority view but over the last week I've heard a lot of support for the idea.

edited May 2012
    So a couple of days back I made an SE++ minecraft group for you guys on steam. Its invite only, if you want in pick a person and nag them until they send you an invitation! I'm hoping we might distribute some server event notifications through it, but that depends entirely how productive I am feeling.

I'd like to join the group if someone can add me. Tried messaging through steam but it is being a jerk to me today it seems. Profile on steam is PvtCaboose. Same batman image.

PvtCaboose on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    PvtCaboose wrote: »

I'd like to join the group if someone can add me. Tried messaging through steam but it is being a jerk to me today it seems. Profile on steam is PvtCaboose. Same batman image.

Invite sent!

Enc wrote: »
    Depending on who you talk to in game this line of inquiry is either loved or hates but...

What is the plausibility of a new map? Maybe keep everything within x many chunks of Ispawnbul so the communal area is still there and wipe the rest so jungles and modern villages can spawn?

Could we run a poll to see how many people would like a new map? I used to think this was a minority view but over the last week I've heard a lot of support for the idea.

I wouldn't be opposed, I just think we should wait at least a bit. With summer break coming up, I'll finally be able to get some real work done, and I'm sure other people who haven't been around will show up.
    Maybe after summer? At the end of the year?

Junpei wrote: »
    PvtCaboose wrote: »

Invite sent!

Yay I feel wanted. In other words, thank you for the invite.

• HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    I'm not okay with a new map if it means losing my half done nether terraform, or my various goods.
    If it doesn't. Then I am certainly okay with a new map.

See, the thing is that although we've had this map the longest of any of our maps, its also the most fantastic and it is still being actively built on. In the past, map changes have happened because of huge updates or a complete lack of playerbase.

we still pull in about 15-20 players in peak times even before summer break and that will likely go up, and none of the updates have broken our map. It might come to a point where new terrain with an update is so far out that we should switch, but that wont be for months yet I imagine.

I would LOVE a new map, but i also love this one and recognise people are still active and attatched to a lot of their projects. Theres still a lot of life in it and I think now is not the time to change.

• Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Hey Ghostfish, I apologize if I ruined any of your rooms next to the new southern rail line. They mostly looked like temporary storage closets or access rooms and I kind of dug through them. Hopefully the newly spiffy tunnel makes up for it.

So, i was hoping to get some diamonds, drilled down to bedrock, and started doing some boring but helpful cross mining. got a few diamonds, but had a question.

I had an area in my mining where i started hearing sound effects like giant thunder booms. it was specific to around that area. Do the sound effects actually coincide to a specific event or monster or are they just to freak you out while your in the oppressive dark.

So, i was hoping to get some diamonds, drilled down to bedrock, and started doing some boring but helpful cross mining. got a few diamonds, but had a question.

I had an area in my mining where i started hearing sound effects like giant thunder booms. it was specific to around that area. Do the sound effects actually coincide to a specific event or monster or are they just to freak you out while your in the oppressive dark.

Depends. Either way it's not a monster, but if it was like a sort of whooshing sound or a low drone or moan, that's a cave noise (indicating there's a dark area large enough to spawn mobs nearby). If it was thunder, it was actual thunder, and it was thundering up above. The sound is global.

hum. It seemed to only be happening when i went into a certain part of the area i was digging out. definately seemed to be localized to the area, just like the other side of my mine sounded like i was under a river but only when i was in a certain part of it.

hum. It seemed to only be happening when i went into a certain part of the area i was digging out. definately seemed to be localized to the area, just like the other side of my mine sounded like i was under a river but only when i was in a certain part of it.

River's likely to be flowing water somewhere nearby. I'll go with the other sound being a nearby cave.

So in my quest to get rid of snow near Ispawnbul I uhm, maimed the bumble.

http://goo.gl/VZuBY

So in my quest to get rid of snow near Ispawnbul I uhm, maimed the bumble.

http://goo.gl/VZuBY

apricot did it again..........

• eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    Hey Ghostfish, I apologize if I ruined any of your rooms next to the new southern rail line. They mostly looked like temporary storage closets or access rooms and I kind of dug through them. Hopefully the newly spiffy tunnel makes up for it.

nothing down there is important, it was just the temporary intersection to Menzia.
    do whatever you need to, i can adjust the intersection maintenance tunnel after.

there was an idea floating around to extend a proper west road, so i am slowly modifying the top portion of the project to 'ruins' in anticipation of the road smashing through most of my surface buildings.

i pretty much only go there on trips to transport items from my vault back to Omega Heimdal.

• LaikkaLaikka Hungry like the Wolf Jonesboro, ARRegistered User regular
    I saw something on new maps...

<raises finger>

Just want to say if we were getting a new map, sooner would be better so that I didn't build an awesome little place and then have to throw away all of that time spent. It isn't necessarily the project as I LOVE looking for new lands and coming up with new ideas, just the time spent... <.< In vain.

"I must warn you, getting what you want and being happy are two quite different things."
    b4g779.gif
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    At this point there really isn't much left to do. Everything we need has been built, and most of the map is a safe place. A new would be welcome.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    We just got our first jungle biome, and most of Frontier Road remains unexplored.

I think it's a tad early to be discussing new maps.

[IMG][/img]
    Please rest assured that while we take sentiments regarding a map change seriously, we also seriously consider all sides of the equation and would never hastily discard a map before its time has come. We're always interested in hearing opinions on the subject, however, so please feel free to keep discussing it.

i say if we make a new map, lets make the spawn city asian themed.

This discussion has been closed.