As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    The only trouble with chaser is it starts to feel like the game rests on your shoulders which can be a bit nerve-wracking.

I find that if I can cut off the flag runner and get reasonably close, I can usually return it.

The problem is, almost every map has a route or two that is practically unchaseable. A 300+ route where if you miss the initial grab, you might as well let it go.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Taking the enemy flag, even when you aren't running routes always seems like a reasonably effective form of flag defense. When I was playing juggernaught on drydock, I used to site on the cliff above their flag stand, and whenever they tried to cap out flag, I drop down and steal theirs. I think I once managed to cap it, but that seemed to be pure luck than anything else. Grabbing their flag moments before a cap is an amazing feeling. Gives chasers a bunch more time as well. No-one has made any decent general evasion routes yet.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    The only trouble with chaser is it starts to feel like the game rests on your shoulders which can be a bit nerve-wracking.

I find that if I can cut off the flag runner and get reasonably close, I can usually return it.

The problem is, almost every map has a route or two that is practically unchaseable. A 300+ route where if you miss the initial grab, you might as well let it go.

The best thing at that point is just to try to cut them off by getting to their flag stand, especially since their flag is probably not on the base either.

• Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    I miss that desert map, with the floating bases, and teh flag on the seperate covered platform.

Also, that grass map with the massive.... concrete 'thing'? yeah. There were quite a few good maps from T1.

Also, watching that vid, I can see the places they've changed from old raindance, to new. I have to admit, I think the changes were positive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, looks like I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and buy some gold. I've gotten to level 12, bought pretty much everything I want for soldier and juggernaught (although I did get the soldier spinfusor for free off a website promo), and unlocked the sentinel using just xp, and I got the doombringer with the facebook gold stuff, but now, to be a competitive doombringer (maybe HoF, but maybe not) and get all the other deployables and perks, looks like I'm going to have to spend money. 75,000xp for mines? Nah. I've gotten quite a significant amount out of this game without paying, so, and once I've got vip status, it should be quite good in the long run.

Also, I do hope that they make some more maps at some point. Playing doombringer has given me a vastly different perspective to them, but I still yearn for more. It'd be interesting to see a map designed around competitive team play, as everyone has been saying. In fact, I'd mostly be interested to see what a competitive game looks like, with two teams that know each other and have practiced with each other against an equally skilled team.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I decided to unlock Brute yesterday for those emergency situations when you need to do some crowd control, and I'm going to have to get used to the vertical orientation of the Heavy Spinfusor. . . from those who have used it regularly, is there any real difference in how it handles from the other spinners?

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    I decided to unlock Brute yesterday for those emergency situations when you need to do some crowd control, and I'm going to have to get used to the vertical orientation of the Heavy Spinfusor. . . from those who have used it regularly, is there any real difference in how it handles from the other spinners?

Not really, just longer reload time. Otherwise it hits harder but behaves pretty much the same.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular

It has a slower travel time and reload time. Other than that, it hits like a truck.

I use the Brute most often whenever I need to retake my base from some nasties that are camping the generator room. I use the Heavy Shield Pack and the standard weapon setup. I can obliterate almost any generator camper or attackers when i'm in my Brutezone.

Despite all the hate he receives, I consider him a valuable part of my tool set.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I use mine as an indoor base harasser... charge over to the base, cause havoc in the generator room, and try to stay alive as long as possible. Usually I'm such a huge distraction that an inf can sneak in and blow up the generator while I'm stomping around, and if I can get 3+ of the enemy team focused on me it gives flag runners an easier time.

Basically, an asshole. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, looks like I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and buy some gold. I've gotten to level 12, bought pretty much everything I want for soldier and juggernaught (although I did get the soldier spinfusor for free off a website promo), and unlocked the sentinel using just xp, and I got the doombringer with the facebook gold stuff, but now, to be a competitive doombringer (maybe HoF, but maybe not) and get all the other deployables and perks, looks like I'm going to have to spend money. 75,000xp for mines? Nah. I've gotten quite a significant amount out of this game without paying, so, and once I've got vip status, it should be quite good in the long run.

That is pretty much the point I got to. I unlocked all the classes with xp, then a ton of weapons. I'm to the point now where I unlock most of the weapons I want with gold and then save the XP for upgrades and such.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

That is pretty much the point I got to. I unlocked all the classes with xp, then a ton of weapons. I'm to the point now where I unlock most of the weapons I want with gold and then save the XP for upgrades and such.

I spent a bit on weapons, but other than the raid & pillage and cloak & dagger packs, I kind of refuse to buy weapons with gold. $10 for a gun seems crazy when there will likely be a pack with a few weapons for the same price. :\

Then again, two of my most played classes are ones that have gotten content packs. Just have to hope for technician and brute packs next. ;-)

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I got the 30 dollar pack ages ago.
    I got the the LAR (so good), soldier's spinfusor and eagle pistol (served me well learning the game because it is basically a rocket launcher) and the phase rifle (god why?).
    I probably got some other stuff that I don't remember. The 30 day XP boost got me so goddamn much though.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The phase rifle is plenty solid these days after they changed thr fall off on the BTX. You can reach out and touch people in a way you can't with the btx with the phase. Also the phase has higher burst potential with its ability to shoot twice in rapid succession and have each hit do solid damage, assuming ultracapacitor 1 and 2 and the energy recharge pack. You do basically trade away all your mobility though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    The problem I have with it, is I don't even like sniping.

• Options
    The problem I have with it, is I don't even like sniping.

Ah, yeah. I didn't like it much first at either but it's growing on me. One of my friends makes fun of me for playing "point and click adventure games" while he plays Tribes. Having a sniper, especially on some maps, is just so hugely important that I figured I should learn the role. I'm starting to get better at it, steadily pushing my sensitivity lower and lower. Even at my only okay sniping levels the difference between having a sniper or not on your team is night and day.

• Options
    The problem I have with it is leading targets. They're not hitscan right?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    The problem I have with it is leading targets. They're not hitscan right?

I unlocked the sniper because I saw some people tearing it up on CTF. I have the exact same problem. Though it seems like if you can get good at it, you become a monster.

• Options
    Both sniper rifles are hitscan.

There is an incomplete sniper rifle floating around in the game files that is not, but, it's not in the game yet.

• Options
    So I need to try to click the mouse when its directly over the target and it will hit instantly?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    So I need to try to click the mouse when its directly over the target and it will hit instantly?

Indeed!

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I tried switching back to spinfusor with the JUG after whoring the lmg for ages, and the best way I can describe the feeling when I'm out in the middle of the map is... naked. With a dash of helpless. The atuo weapons aren't just stronger, they're much more versatile and consistent. I can land some bullets down a hill, up a hill, up close and from a distance. On the other hand when I'm holding the spinfusor in a fatty suit, there are situations where there might be a light buzzing around with a sliver of hp left, and I can't do squat about it while he's ripping into me. Never happens with the lmg, ever.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it does seem like a pretty nice gun, and a better compliment to the mortar/mrv. I'm probably going to have to buy gold to ever get it, though

sniping is plenty effective and all, I just don't get people who want to do it in tribes (particular in deathmatch or pubbie ctf.) Wouldn't you rather be going fast? Or going anywhere at all other than the one hill they always seem to pick to stand on?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the big tradeoff with spinfusor -> LMG is that you lose all that mobility the spinfusor gives you. Mortarjumping just doesn't compare.

Garthor on
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So aside from the fact that the guy showing it is kind of a hacking douche, what do we think of this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0T4tT2wCJk
    I think it looks good, although it'll probably encourage generator camping seeing as no rocket that slow will ever be useful for capper defense.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Ok that turret looks fantastic. Really is going to be a good counter to vehicles if placed properly. I don't think it will necessarily kill them but it would make someone think twice about going to an area.

I really want to like the Sentinel but I don't care for sniping that much. However I really hate infiltrators and enjoy blocking their cloak, and the falcon appeals to me though I haven't unlocked it yet.

• Options
    Why is he a hacking douche? He hacked out the turret in practice mode? I mean... no big deal right?

I wish we could do that for the private server, if I'm honest.

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Why is he a hacking douche? He hacked out the turret in practice mode? I mean... no big deal right?

I wish we could do that for the private server, if I'm honest.

Did you see his other videos? Like the one where he floats over the enemy base with infinite energy as brute spamming infinite fractals, or this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gy2InqRzjE

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    He's using a HiRez youtube account name too. What a scum bag.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Huh, alright. I had no idea he was doing that shit.. just saw the turret and said "ok, that's pretty cool actually."

Douche status confirmed.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

It has a slower travel time and reload time. Other than that, it hits like a truck.

I use the Brute most often whenever I need to retake my base from some nasties that are camping the generator room. I use the Heavy Shield Pack and the standard weapon setup. I can obliterate almost any generator camper or attackers when i'm in my Brutezone.

Despite all the hate he receives, I consider him a valuable part of my tool set.

Speed[Projectile] is identical among all spinfusors now, so if you can use one you can use any.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So yeah, have they announced yet what is the next class to get skins and shit?

• Options
    No, but it will probably be Brute.

• Options
    So, calling in orbital strikes on your own base when it is swarming with attackers is the best feeling ever. As is being a doombringer. It gets rather hectic.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    No, but it will probably be Brute.

It will most likely be Brute or Doombringer. It would follow the trend. They've done a light, they've done a medium, so a heavy next makes sense. The Raider and the Infiltrator are both classes that aren't unlocked by default (thus making it so players have to spend more exp/gold to get the unlocks) which is why it probably won't be the Jug.

Both classes could use new stuff, admittedly the Doombringer actually has a defined role on a team right now and the Brute doesn't but, the Doombringer is basically saddled with a mostly useless secondary right now.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    So this has probably been mentioned before but I am just starting to play tribes and I found this link on the official forums. If you go to http://www.fileplay.net/keys you can get a code for a free spinfuser for soldier.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, it's a contest between Brute not having any alternate primary weapon and Doombringer having a really shitty secondary weapon with no alternate.

I think they'll go for Brute to get more people playing it and to give it something besides the Fractal Grenade to spam.

Garthor on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    I know there's a lot of hate for them but I find the brute just awesome during Cap and Hold games. Jump on a cap point and drop a fractal grenade and it will tend to keep people trying to recap off of it. I also seem to get more blue plates with the Brute. I wonder if the hit box is larger?

• Options
    goegoegoegoe Sir Unskilled-a-lot EURegistered User new member
    Okay, so I've been playing the game for about two weeks now and while doing so, found the old thread (the 99 pages long one), read through quite a chunk of it and decided to join the fun. Why? First, the game is awesome, I'm totally new to the franchise and while some things do bother me (need to get used to some stuff I guess) it's still rad. Second, you guys really have quite a cool thing going on here on PA!

I'm by no means a pro, to be honest I'm rather terrible and trying hard to get a little bit better atm. Playing mainly Sentinel and managed to be 6th today in a fairly even game, also had my first ever sniping spree. A wonderful feeling indeed.

More on topic, I'd be happy to see some stuff for the Sentinel, but guess you're all pretty much right about Brute getting some love next, not a bad thing either, don't see too many of them atm (good thing ;), trying to kill a heavy with mah puny lil rifle is a task I usually give up on).

• Options
    I pretty much ignore heavies when i'm playing as a sent. At best, you'll land a shot and it will annoy them enough to come over and kill you.

I find myself usually ignoring Sents. If i'm ever shelling a base or playing Heavy O and a sniper bullet zips past me, I just tapping A and D at random. That's usually enough to completely nullify most Sents abilities.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    I love getting 4 flag caps and my team still loses. Wait, no, that sucked.