As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

alien 3: a pretty interesting movie, even if bad

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Alien 3 has a great tone and atmosphere

a few other cool elements

but overall not very good

it's actually getting to me a hell of a lot more than alien did

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    The trailer looks really promising.

It looks like they are basing it in the book, rather than remaking the movie, and it seems quite different.

But it is being directed by the guy that did underworld.....

Underworld was a good idea

with a good cast

that just went wrong

and yet it kept making money and getting sequels

The Total Recall trailer looks good though, so I still have hope

Sweeney Tom on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What is the best scifi movie that came out in the last twelve years guys.

And let's say inception doesn't count if you like it because it's the only one I can think of.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    i will see it.

also to note that the Joss Whedon witten alien Resurrection. he did the avengers movie which is now breaking records. really messed up.

also of movies people forgot about age ago, i think total recall is a masterpeice.

that's becase one movie is bad and the other movie is good?

i mean it's not really that weird

ya i just thinking dumb, but the movie feel like his rough draft of firefly.

I'm pretty sure they butchered his original script during production for AR.

And let's say inception doesn't count if you like it because it's the only one I can think of.

i like moon a lot.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I watched moon the other day, it was pretty good

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The trailer looks really promising.

It looks like they are basing it in the book, rather than remaking the movie, and it seems quite different.

But it is being directed by the guy that did underworld.....

Underworld was a good idea

with a good cast

that just went wrong

and yet it kept making money and getting sequels

The Total Recall trailer looks good though, so I still have hope

Underworld is a guilty pleasure, but it's a fairly simple idea with not very high concepts.

To be fair, the original total recall didn't really delve into the big ideas, but it handled them competently enough.

I don't know.

oh god, charles dance just died

he was carrying this movie and it's only half done

i like moon a lot.

Oh yeah.

I completely forgot about moon.

I should watch it again.

sf is also a weirdly false genre these days, avatar counts for example

it's probably more accurate to ask which movies have been introspective or worked as cultural commentary

edited May 2012
    And obviously Jason X or whatever Friday the thirteenth movie was set in space doesn't count because that would always win.

Blake T on
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    And obviously Jason X or whatever Friday the thirteenth movie was set in space ain't count because that would always win.

jason x yeah

edited May 2012
    We can probably put avatar under "space opera" where there are scifi movies that exist purely to show off sweet mechs and space dragons.

Blake T on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    okay fine

hellraiser 4

7656367.jpg
    leprechaun in space

7656367.jpg
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Alien 3 attempted to bring back the one alien scenario into a post Alien setting, but any movie that kicks you in the balls regarding the the offscreen death of characters from the last movie is sequel poison

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    space opera is another name for 'planetary romance' a la mass effect, which is really just Arthurian myth in space

how granular do you want to get

dracula 3000

7656367.jpg
    i thought planetary romance was a TYPE of space opera

ghosts of mars

7656367.jpg
    7656367.jpg
    Paladin wrote: »
    Alien 3 attempted to bring back the one alien scenario into a post Alien setting, but any movie that kicks you in the balls regarding the the offscreen death of characters from the last movie is sequel poison

i hated both newt & hicks so it's all gravy to me

it doesn't really matter, making subtypes of science fiction is an exercise in frustration and futility

SyFy movies are disqualified because they aren't counted as SciFi but now counted as SyFy because fuck Bonnie Hammer

man the sound work in this movie owns bones

tho i think i'll rewatch 1 and 2 to compare

when you start it right off with people dying there's no contrast to the whole thing; it's like half life skipping the first chapter

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    savage planet is a movie where space travelers land onn alien planet and fight giant killer bees

7656367.jpg

when you start it right off with people dying there's no contrast to the whole thing; it's like half life skipping the first chapter

half life blows anyway. and i wouldn't say that - the deaths of newt and hicks are still caused by the alien. if anything it turns the movie into a blood tragedy

it doesn't really matter, making subtypes of science fiction is an exercise in frustration and futility

no fuck you i want to define specifically what we're talking about depending on what types of pew pew guns they use

20 year newt going on a revenge mission in future earth dropping from vents killing suits and aliens would have been awesome orik.

SyFy stopped playing the 4th of July Twilight Zone marathon a year or two ago and replaced it with a Greatest American Hero marathon

I don't care that it was only for a year, I will never forgive them for that decision

The terrorists won that year

no fuck you i want to define specifically what we're talking about depending on what types of pew pew guns they use

well some people use planetary romance to refer specifically to the space safari kind of story, and reserve space opera for melodramatic galaxy exploration stuff

sweeney tom

don't you ever talk shit on greatest american hero again

ever

7656367.jpg

well some people use planetary romance to refer specifically to the space safari kind of story, and reserve space opera for melodramatic galaxy exploration stuff

i might be some people

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So was newt nick-named after the first president of the moon?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    okay seriously

enough with the space subgenres

7656367.jpg

half life blows anyway. and i wouldn't say that - the deaths of newt and hicks are still caused by the alien. if anything it turns the movie into a blood tragedy

who watches alien movies for tragedy

if everyone's going to die at the end or after the end what's the point, might as well go full event horizon or solaris and at least give people something to look at if there's no survival tension

edited May 2012
    sweeney tom

don't you ever talk shit on greatest american hero again

ever

I am fine with it being aired on SyFy any other day

But dammit Twilight Zone has been marathoned on the 4th of July weekend on SyFy for enough years that it has become tradition

I don't want to shoot fireworks without seeing tiny human earth people get squished by gigantic alien women who look human on television

Sweeney Tom on
    20 year newt going on a revenge mission in future earth dropping from vents killing suits and aliens would have been awesome orik.

awesome but not interesting or horrifying

who watches alien movies for tragedy

if everyone's going to die at the end or after the end what's the point, might as well go full event horizon or solaris and at least give people something to look at if there's no survival tension

Event Horizon was fantastic