As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Edinburgh Manor (Mini Phalla) Day 6: Mafia and Princess Victory!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    T_A and Grimmy vote for children's room.

Interesting

• Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Children's room, why not (eeeeeeeeep, I always worry I will regret these votes).

• Options
    I don't like how easily everyone is going to the children's room.

dining room

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't like how easily everyone is going to the children's room.
    SIR HENRY FRANCIS CHRISTIAN SLATER

Traps cannot stop SIR HENRY FRANCIS CHRISTIAN SLATER.
    I AM INVINCIBLE.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Sorry about the delay. I've been looking this over, and I think you'll have a final narration, here. Shortly.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    oooooOOOOOOooooo

Oh no.

OOOOooooooOOOOO

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    Yeah, final narration is a bit scary... There are alot of people left!

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Damn it Figgy, now you got me refreshing the page every other second.

But then again, it's moments like these that I phalla for.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I told you you should have kept me alive.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Edinburgh Manor
    Split two ways is better than five
    Children's Room
    Day 5

When you've spent the last few years inside the body of an aging gardener, you lose your touch. At least, that's how Lord William Edinburgh's Ghost felt. He had killed a few of the townspeople, but he hardly thought this was sufficient revenge. If only he lasted one more day. He was sure he could do much more damage if given the chance. After all, they were going to the children's room. Lots of memories to feed on in there.

But the townspeople currently had him cornered, and they didn't seem to mind that he was already dead. They'd put him through it again. It didn't matter if he had haunted this manor for so long. facetious seemed oddly at peace as the townspeople cast the spirit out of the house.

031.jpg

The hypnotist ran into the children's room. He had been chasing the saboteur through the manor, and he finally had him cornered.

"Look into my eyes," he said while holding his pocket watch. It swung from a gold chain back and forth.

Back.

And forth.

The man stared at it, apparently losing control of himself more and more by the moment.

"You will find your limbs are quite useless now, I assure you. You'll have a hard time setting one of your traps tonight."

He moved closer, and his grasp on the man tightened ever further. So why was the man suddenly grinning?

"I don't know what you find so comical about your current predicament. The rest of the townspeople will know of your actions, and tomorrow you shall be put down like the rest."

The man's grin widened, and GrimmyTOA's eyes looked down, at Obifett's feet. A slender needle was protruding out of the top of his left foot. It was dripping with a vile, green liquid. A liquid that coursed its way through his veins and ate him from the inside out. Moments later, the saboteur came to and got back to his feet.

"Who said anyfink about tonight?"

The thug and the saboteur dragged a kicking and screaming woman down several flights of steps, into the manor's wine cellar. How could they have missed it? Locked away down here the entire time. And now their shares were each more than doubled.

"Just one lil fink to take care of first," said GrimmyTOA.

He threw the doctor onto the dusty floor and she slid into a cask behind her. tastypastry coughed and sputtered, trying to remain stoic in spite of her fear. Thankfully, she didn't have to fake it for long. The thug dug a knife in her side and twisted hard.

"Thanks for havin' my back all that time, eh?"

"Don't mention it," said The_Anonymous. "You'd have done the same for me, right?"

"Oi, right!" He didn't look very convincing.

But it didn't matter, because they were going to be rich beyond their wildest dreams. They had found Edinburgh's vault, and the pathetic few left alive upstairs could do nothing to stop them.

030.jpg

The Dead:

facetious, Lord William Edinburgh's Ghost. Killed by the townspeople.
    tastypastry, the doctor. Killed by the Mastermind and his men.
    Obifett, the Hypnotist. Killed by a trap.
    Grunt's Ghosts, the beggar. Killed by inactivus

MAFIA VICTORY
    and sportzboytjw, the prettiest princess

FINAL SPREADSHEET: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRiWrn1RCMuOWFkSVZnSWxsR00

Figgy on
  • Options
    I'll have a post of all the roles and what not up in a sec.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    :^:

Thanks for Running Figgy

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Hmm, so I was right about them finding their macguffin to win.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Damn!
    Thanks for running this, Figgy.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I fucking told you TA was mafia.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    But would anone listen to the SK? nooooooooo.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    too bad you were an SK

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Look at that pile of loot!

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Well, at least the network identified almost all of the mafia before the end. The trap mechanic really screwed us.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    It was never any doubt that T_A was mafia also Grimmy. In hindsight maybe we should have used you, facetious, for one more night and vote out Grimmy or T_A and have you vig the other.

Good game everyone! Thanks for running it Figgy, it was fun!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sorry for killing you Slym! Was a last minute decision.

Toss up between you and Nony.

Should have listened to my 3nd instinct I suppose.

Although you still would have died...

• Options
    Also SCREW YOU IRC. I WAS AFK.

• Options
    Network proboards are here.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Mafia proboards should be unlocked. I was actually worried at first that we were underpowered, given that the trap mechanic could prove unreliable, and we didn't have much in the way of protection besides my guard.

And then Akimbo power-seered ahava and Langly on days one and two, and it was mostly smooth sailing after that. If it hadn't been for that, things might've turned out very differently.

Thanks for hosting this Figgy, I was most certainly entertained. :)

• Options
    Seriously why the fuck did I not know about Cayrus trying to kill me.

That ruined everyting. :(:(:(

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I'm proud of myself for basically figuring out almost every mafia and village special by the end. (I thought Obi was mafia instead of special, but it amounts to the same thing as far as I was concerned.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    @cayrus I am saddened that you didn't trust me

• Options
    I was actually worried at first that we were underpowered, given that the trap mechanic could prove unreliable,

well considering if Grimmy died, we lost our second kill...you had a right to be worried ;)

• Options
    no idea why akimbo bothered to seer me anyway.

but good job.

• Options
    For the record, I would have seered as village - the gardener role - so I was really, really trying to influence that with my posting style in the thread, especially on day one.

I basically had no idea how to play the SK, though. Considering how awful I've been the few times I've been mafia, I think I'm just by far best in a village role. (By which I mean only MOSTLY useless.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Reactions after reading the mafia boards:

- Yes Grimmy, I knew you were mafia. I voted for you like two days in a row and you didn't pipe up once about it. The third day of voting for you and no reaction cemented it. That's what I would do as mafia, ignore votes like that and not draw attention. Village? I would wonder why someone is gunning for me.
    - I friggin knew we shouldn't have gone to the children's room.

• Options
    The players:

Chimney Sweep Anialos
    Doctor tastypastry
    Veterinarian jdarksun
    Bartender Blasphemer69
    Sailor Spoit
    Blacksmith TheRoadVirus
    Beggar Grunt's Ghosts
    Servant Baidol
    Shoeshine BobCesca
    Ratcatcher tzeentchling

Palace Guard Bedlam - Was looking for the Princess and Prince. Would have gained a guard to use on either each night, but must alternate targets.
    Prince Tayrun - Masoned with Princess
    Princess sportzboytjw - Masoned with Prince

Detective B:L - Alignment Seer
    Policeman SLyM - Village Vig when spending the day in the Master Suite, the Children's Room, the Den, or the Attic.
    Soldier Cayrus - Village Vig when spending the day in the Kitchen, the Dining Hall, the Study, or the Attic.
    Magician lonelyahava - Bus Driver
    Hypnotist Obifett - Roleblocker
    Boxer Langly - Guard - Could guard self, but if was hit would lose self guard.

Mastermind AkimboLegs - Ability Seer
    Saboteur GrimmyTOA - Trap - More on traps below
    Thug The Anonymous - Guard - Could guard self, but if was hit would lose self guard.
    Grease Man Egos - Kill Vote + 1
    Locksmith Assuran - Could lock 1 location per night. More on locks below.

Ghost of Edinburgh facetious - 1 Vig per night. Immune to vig once per game. Seered as village aligned. Immune to traps. Movement Vote + 2, and would gain a second vig when vig immunity was lost, if moving to Master Suite, Children's Room, or the Attic that night.

The Movement/Trap/Lock Mechanic

I wanted a tool for the mafia that could also be used by the village. Something that if the mafia were to use it carelessly, they would pay for it. If they were cautious and smart, they might just get away with it. The trap was intended to be that mechanic.

GrimmyTOA was the Saboteur. He could lay 1 trap per night up to a maximum of 3 traps out at once. He would target a room and a person who the trap would kill. He would issue the order before 7PM EDT each night, 5 hours before vote close. I chose this time because I was hoping more activity would happen later in the day. Turns out, locations were bandwagoned early and the mafia had no trouble placing an order at 1 PM and being confident the location wouldn't switch. Later in the game, the village caught on that they might be served by keeping their location a secret until later. They just never waited late enough. I think it was usually around 4 PM that the location vote was called in the later days.

Assuran was the Locksmith. He could lock 1 room per night to prevent the village from moving there. He would have to send the order before 7 PM EDT. This was intended to give the mafia a bit more of an edge in getting a trap kill. If the village caught on quick that they could just call a location vote at night, the mafia could then lock one room and give themselves a greater chance. If the village voted and moved to a locked room, they would be diverted to the second place location.

I wanted the village to catch on so that they would have additional voting records to analyze. Unfortunately, the village never seemed to put much merit in their location voting records and they were almost always a huge bandwagon. 85-90% of the players were always on that same wagon.

Village Specials Role PM:
    _____
    B:L: The Detective

You are the town’s detective. You’re here because you sense something strange going on. You forged an invitation and put on a disguise: the town barber. You actually look identical to him, since he’s your twin brother. No one will know the difference. You'll be free to investigate the activity at the party with complete and total anonymity.

You are a townsperson, and your loyalties lie with your neighbours. You win when you are rid of all of those who would do you harm.

Anyone could be a threat, but you’ve got a knack for reading a person’s character. Each night, you can target one townsperson to discover their alignment.

____
    SLyM: The Policeman

You are a policeman. You were only just assigned to this town, so not many people know your face. In order to blend in, you are pretending to be a stone worker from a nearby quarry. If the people here don't know who you are, you can investigate the activity with complete anonymity.

You are a townsperson, and your loyalties lie with your neighbours. You win when you are rid of all of those who would do you harm.

Anyone could be a threat! When you spend the day in the master suite, children’s room, den, or attic, you can choose one target to eliminate that night.

___
    Cayrus: The Soldier

You’re a soldier on extended leave, staying in the town’s only inn. You received the invitation, to your surprise, when it was slid underneath your bedroom door late one night. You’re not one to pass on a night of free booze, but you never expected it to be some kind of trap. You don’t want to reveal that you’re trained in combat, so you’ve decided to use a cover story if need be. You’re a local playwright, staying in town for inspiration from quaint, London townsfolk.

You can use your training to take out your enemies! When you spend the day in the dining hall, study, kitchen, or attic, you can choose one target to eliminate that night.

___
    lonelyahava: The Magician

You’re a traveling magician, but you’re disguised as a librarian. You were going to pull off a spectacular illusion to impress Charles Edinburgh, but it looks like that won’t be happening any more. While you’re here, though, you might as well put your talents to good use.

Each night, you can use your powers of illusion and trickery on your fellow townspeople. Choose two targets, and all powers aimed at one will hit the other, and vice versa. You can target yourself.

___
    Obifett: The Hypnotist

A local barrister by day, you study the art of hypnosis by night. You've kept this secret from everyone you know your whole life. It is your lifelong dream to combine both of your passions and become the most successful figure in politics and law the world has ever known. In the meantime, you had better find a way out of this mess you’re in.

You have a unique gift to manipulate. Each night, you can use your hypnotic powers on a townsperson to distract them, blocking the use of any powers they might have.

___
    Langly: The Boxer

You’re a local factory worker, but you have been secretly competing in bare-knuckle boxing tournaments whenever you find the time. You’re not too happy about being lured and trapped here, but you’re not going to take it lying down.

Each night, you can choose a target to guard from all powers except the vote. You can guard yourself.

Mafia Role PM:
    You are all members of a team of liars, thieves, and con artists. Under the guidance of the mastermind of your operation, you have been planning a heist that would set you all up for life. Deep inside the Edinburgh house, there are treasures beyond imagining. The man traveled all over the world in his youth, and he collected rare and ancient artifacts. Some were rumoured to give mysterious powers... even eternal life! The house has been securely locked up for years, though. Until now, when this strange dinner party will bring all the towns people together in one place. Now, you can strike and pillage this town for all it is worth.

Collectively, you control a single kill each night. I would prefer this (and all other orders) to be included in an orders post on your proboards. This will avoid any Vanilla timing issues and the possibility of PMs being overlooked. It is your choice, however.

AkimboLegs:

You are the mastermind. This was all your idea. Well, the robbery, not the whole locked up and trapped thing. When you got your invitation, the first thing that came to mind was the old man’s treasure. Now that Edinburgh Manor was all fixed up and open to the townspeople, it would be the perfect opportunity to finally pull off the greatest robbery since Pierce. The entire town would be there. It would be the perfect crime.

Luckily, you’ve also been the town’s trusted school teacher for 18 years. The past nine, you’ve spent secretly working with like minded folks around town, planning a robbery of Edinburgh’s estate. Now is your chance, but it isn’t going to be easy. And it sure as hell isn’t going to be pretty.

You are a townsperson, but your loyalties lie with your team. You win by eliminating or outnumbering the other townspeople. Only then can you set to work on finding the valuables in this house.

Each night, you can tail one towns person. You’re an excellent observer, and you’ll notice any powers they might use that night.

GrimmyTOA:

A local fisherman, the mastermind came to you years ago about a plan. You don’t know how he found out about your natural talents, but he sure did appreciate them more than anyone else ever did. What's a few more deadly, hidden traps that are loosely based on complicated contraptions from ancient Egyptian burial tombs? And it sure would be nice to retire early.

You are a townsperson, but your loyalties lie with your team. You win by eliminating or outnumbering the other townspeople. Only then can you set to work on finding the valuables in this house.

Each afternoon, you can trap one location in the manor and target one townsperson. This trap must be laid early, so as not to raise suspicions. If the townspeople enter that location afterwards, the person you have selected will be killed. Traps last forever, but you can only have 3 active traps at a time. Laying a fourth trap will automatically remove the oldest laid trap. Traps and targets cannot be altered once laid. Your trap order is due at 7 PM EST.

The Anonymous:

You’re hired muscle. Once a miner, the mastermind recruited you one night after a rough day in the coal mines, when the thought of fresh air for the rest of your short life was all the more appealing. You’re with him now, no matter the outcome.

Each day you can choose one person to guard. This person will be protected from all powers that night. You do not protect against the vote. You do protect against traps. You can target yourself.

Egos:

When you’re not toiling away over ink and paper as a city clerk, you’re practicing all manners of tricky manoeuvrings. A good grease man is hard to come by, and the mastermind was particularly thrilled when he found you.

You’re a slippery bastard. Your kill vote secretly counts as 2.

Assuran:

As the town’s only locksmith you were the mastermind’s next logical choice when putting together his team. You can manipulate any manner of lock, and you’re going to come in handy against Edinburgh’s vault. Luckily, you have always kept to yourself and the townsfolk shouldn’t recognize you. You’ve decided to pretend to be an actor for a traveling performance group. That was also your lifelong dream, coincidentally.

A master of locks, you can lock a single location each night. You’ll need time and complete silence to do your work, so you best start early. If the townspeople try to move to a locked location, they’ll have to move along to their second choice. Your lock order is due at 7 PM EST. Your location automatically unlocks the next day.

RE: End Game

There were 2 mafia and 2 villagers left. Mafia still had their kill plus a trap. Even without the trap, the mafia would kill 1 villager, the village would vote for 1 mafia, and the 2 mafia could tie the vote on one of the villagers. 1 mafia left standing.

• Options
    I'm sorry I was such a horrible network head.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So....basically grudge grunts ghost

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetious wrote: »
    Seriously why the fuck did I not know about Cayrus trying to kill me.

That ruined everyting. :(:(:(

Sorry, man, but that's on you. You weren't targeted with two vigs that night. You were targeted with one. The mafia targeted Langly that night. That was the blocked kill in the narration.

And oops, Sportz wins too! Pretty princess. One question for the mason: Whaaaaat happened? Why did sportz vote Tayrun out Day 1? (He started the vote!) And why didn't Bedlam try to get in touch? Even after the reveal? I tried to make it simple to hook up with your role PM. I figured one of you would say something about being loyal to the Queen and you'd be in touch.

• Options
    Okay, reading about the trap mechanic vindicates me that revealing my location vote ability to Cayrus could have really helped me ingratiate myself to the network.

You should have taken advantage of it, Cayrus! So that you'd trust me enough that I could kill you!

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    So....basically grudge grunts ghost

Or Obifett for roleblocking facetious on Day 4 when facetious had T_A targeted for a kill :)

I don't know if phallas always play out like this, but each and every day I'd see the perfect plan formulating on one side or another. "Holy shit! Two mafia gone tonight and no village deaths!" or "Wow, the mafia just won this" and then someone would say "eeeeh, I'm going to change this order here because x" and much it all up.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Figgy wrote: »
    RE: End Game

There were 2 mafia and 2 villagers left. Mafia still had their kill plus a trap. Even without the trap, the mafia would kill 1 villager, the village would vote for 1 mafia, and the 2 mafia could tie the vote on one of the villagers. 1 mafia left standing.

I thought vote goes first so if the mafia with a kill gets voted out, they lose that kill.

The problem with the timed trap mechanic is that late-game the only people who would have the impetus to switch would be the mafia or the network, and neither would switch lest they reveal themselves to the other.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Yeah I just found out on IRC that the mafia didn't actually try to kill me.

That's... hilariously awful on my part, then.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I trusted you too much, I think I revealed our location vote to you several times, it just didn't matter because we never waited long enough to announce it. By the end we were sure you had to get in in the day before.