As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Sniper Elite V2 was decent but not really great. The shooting and the XRay stuff is good, and made it definitely worth my time, but the AI is pretty bad and the level design is meh.

The maps are fairly linear, which I dislike but it's not really a point against it. The problem though is that most of the game has one path for you to advance down, and enemies will attack you up that same path. I rarely used landmines or tripmines because enemies never flank you, because there's no way for them to flank you when there's only one path in the map.

The AI is pretty annoying. The two problems I have with it are that it's basically omniscient, and that they have no really good tactics to counter you. On one map in particular I shot a guy from 280m, crouching in the corner of a window, and before his body hit the ground the others with him were returning fire. They shouldn't have been able to spot me that easily, and they shouldn't be able to react that quickly. Then, once you have their attention, they can't do much except take potshots and run around aimlessly. They do tend to move towards you, sure, but there are so many times I saw guys firing SMGs at me from 200m or more, and it just seems so silly. If they could do covering fire and leapfrog towards me, pick better cover that doesn't leave their heads visible, that sort of thing, I think it would be much better.

Enemy snipers can see you as soon as there's a direct line between you and them, so counter sniping is just ducking in and out of cover till you figure out where they are, and let your health regenerate while you're looking. On one level I was lying down, crawling up to an open area, looking in a window where I knew an enemy sniper was. He was casually strolling around between windows, not looking down a scope or anything, not at all alerted to my presence, about 180m away, and still managed to hit me less than a second after I poked my head out. I watched him shoulder his rifle and fire before I could even look down my scope. It's just omniscience to a silly degree, and it really simplifies the tactics available to you. Every time you encounter enemy snipers the winning tactic is "Expose yourself, let them shoot you, regenerating health when needed, until you figure out where they are".

I'd also like if more of the levels were wide open and more snipery, as opposed to the "sneak into an enemy base" missions that don't really fit the whole sniper thing at all.

My favourite parts where the levels with loud noises that could mask your shots, it was so much more interesting to try to clear an area without being noticed because once you've been spotted, every encounter plays out the same way, staying hidden keeps things different.

Basically I'm saying buy it for cheap. I definitely feel it was worth the time investment, because I had a lot of fun lining up double headshots and trying to shoot a sniper through his scope (I'm not sure if it can be done, every time I think I got it the replay was too brief or from a bad angle so I couldn't tell), but try not to spend too much money on it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Vegan wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    SpaceChem is an easy game to play (and I use that to mean interact with), but if you're not the kind of person this style of game appeals to you'll probably bounce right off of it.

Yeah dude, I would not put SpaceChem in front of somebody's mom. But hey, I don't know, maybe she's super computer science mom, I don't know.
    I gifted SpaceChem to my old programming professor the other week. He installed it just about a week ago and has already put in 19 hours. I need to start playing it again so he has more times to compare cause he's blown way past me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I really need to give SpaceChem another go. There was a puzzle really early, basically still part of the tutorial, that I just couldn't figure out. I think I'm missing something as basic as rotating the blocks in tetris, because I was looking at it thinking there was literally no way to solve the problem, which really isn't a feeling I should get on a puzzle about 20 minutes in.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, Arkham City isn't optimized well at all. Normally I can run around 60FPS on very high, but it picks the weirdest times to start microstuttering, like indoors where things should normally run better than outside with all the snow, and during cutscenes it can get annoying too. Any tweaks or fixes? What's that amd optimization thing it installed?

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Grimrock had me so well, until I needed to go back three levels to find a rock.

Grr.

**IT'S BEEN FORTY MINUTES I WILL CHOP A ROCK FROM THE WALLS IF I NEED ONE

Antithesis on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    Man, Arkham City isn't optimized well at all. Normally I can run around 60FPS on very high, but it picks the weirdest times to start microstuttering, like indoors where things should normally run better than outside with all the snow, and during cutscenes it can get annoying too. Any tweaks or fixes? What's that amd optimization thing it installed?

So far the only "tweak" I've found is to turn off DX11.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I bought ME1 and ME2 for 6.90$ each on steam about a year back. As the dude mentioned though, you then have to shell out $texas for the DLC if you are so inclined.

still quite worth the money for the base game, and you can watch youtube videos of the dlcs if you want to see what you are missing. if you only plan to play through once the base game should be plenty

I've never purchased any of the DLC (no inclination towards that whatsoever), but there's plenty of game there for sub-$7. Plenty plenty.

Agreed, although I have heard that Lair of the Shadow Broker is pretty important. I plan on picking that one up eventually. I need to replay ME2 anyway; I was pretty unhappy with who died at the end of my game.

SteevL on
  • Options
    madnessnewbmadnessnewb Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Antithesis wrote: »

Grr.

Ha :D This game looks good but I'm worried that maybe it's a bit too oldschool for me...

madnessnewb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Sniper Elite V2 was decent but not really great. The shooting and the XRay stuff is good, and made it definitely worth my time, but the AI is pretty bad and the level design is meh.

The maps are fairly linear, which I dislike but it's not really a point against it. The problem though is that most of the game has one path for you to advance down, and enemies will attack you up that same path. I rarely used landmines or tripmines because enemies never flank you, because there's no way for them to flank you when there's only one path in the map.

The AI is pretty annoying. The two problems I have with it are that it's basically omniscient, and that they have no really good tactics to counter you. On one map in particular I shot a guy from 280m, crouching in the corner of a window, and before his body hit the ground the others with him were returning fire. They shouldn't have been able to spot me that easily, and they shouldn't be able to react that quickly. Then, once you have their attention, they can't do much except take potshots and run around aimlessly. They do tend to move towards you, sure, but there are so many times I saw guys firing SMGs at me from 200m or more, and it just seems so silly. If they could do covering fire and leapfrog towards me, pick better cover that doesn't leave their heads visible, that sort of thing, I think it would be much better.

Enemy snipers can see you as soon as there's a direct line between you and them, so counter sniping is just ducking in and out of cover till you figure out where they are, and let your health regenerate while you're looking. On one level I was lying down, crawling up to an open area, looking in a window where I knew an enemy sniper was. He was casually strolling around between windows, not looking down a scope or anything, not at all alerted to my presence, about 180m away, and still managed to hit me less than a second after I poked my head out. I watched him shoulder his rifle and fire before I could even look down my scope. It's just omniscience to a silly degree, and it really simplifies the tactics available to you. Every time you encounter enemy snipers the winning tactic is "Expose yourself, let them shoot you, regenerating health when needed, until you figure out where they are".

I'd also like if more of the levels were wide open and more snipery, as opposed to the "sneak into an enemy base" missions that don't really fit the whole sniper thing at all.

My favourite parts where the levels with loud noises that could mask your shots, it was so much more interesting to try to clear an area without being noticed because once you've been spotted, every encounter plays out the same way, staying hidden keeps things different.

Basically I'm saying buy it for cheap. I definitely feel it was worth the time investment, because I had a lot of fun lining up double headshots and trying to shoot a sniper through his scope (I'm not sure if it can be done, every time I think I got it the replay was too brief or from a bad angle so I couldn't tell), but try not to spend too much money on it.

As much as I love the game, I agree with most of this. I spent 30 bucks on it, which is the most I've spent on a game in a long time, but still feel like I got my moneys worth and I'm still not done with it. So I wouldn't say wait until it's real cheap. I don't know if that 30 dollar deal is still going on, but it's def. worth that. The AI is pretty stupid though. I actually have a screenshot on my profile where I'm zooming in on like 5 dead nazis. I shot one guy. Another guy comes over to check out. I shoot him. Another guy comes over to check it out. I shoot him. Another guy comes over. etc. etc. I also agree that, so far anyway, my favorite levels are where I can mask my shots with the other sounds.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Antithesis wrote: »

Grr.

Ha :D This game looks good but I'm worried that maybe it's a bit too oldschool for me...

Grimrock is great, but man, those fucking spiders. I know its sad, but I honestly don't think I can get any further without some kind of anti-spider mod.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

As much as I love the game, I agree with most of this. I spent 30 bucks on it, which is the most I've spent on a game in a long time, but still feel like I got my moneys worth and I'm still not done with it. So I wouldn't say wait until it's real cheap. I don't know if that 30 dollar deal is still going on, but it's def. worth that. The AI is pretty stupid though. I actually have a screenshot on my profile where I'm zooming in on like 5 dead nazis. I shot one guy. Another guy comes over to check out. I shoot him. Another guy comes over to check it out. I shoot him. Another guy comes over. etc. etc. I also agree that, so far anyway, my favorite levels are where I can mask my shots with the other sounds.

I agree 100% with these guys. Game is fun (I'm only halfway through or so), but it definitely has AI issues. The sniping mechanics are good fun (and save the game, in my opinion). The rest of it is pretty lackluster. But it all wraps up to a fairly fun game.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I bought ME1 and ME2 for 6.90$ each on steam about a year back. As the dude mentioned though, you then have to shell out $texas for the DLC if you are so inclined.

still quite worth the money for the base game, and you can watch youtube videos of the dlcs if you want to see what you are missing. if you only plan to play through once the base game should be plenty

I've never purchased any of the DLC (no inclination towards that whatsoever), but there's plenty of game there for sub-$7. Plenty plenty.

Agreed, although I have heard that Lair of the Shadow Broker is pretty important. I plan on picking that one up eventually. I need to replay ME2 anyway; I was pretty unhappy with who died at the end of my game.

Shadow Broker is the best of the lot and if you're interested in any of the DLC's it's the one to get. Lots of content, probably one the best overall fights in the game and adds a lot of info for every character in the game via stuff you get access to after completing it.

The Kasumi DLC is fun and adds probably one of the best guns in the game and a great character but is in no way really essential.

Arrival is basically a set up DLC for 3 and doesn't effect/add really much of anything in 2 and is only margianally referenced in 3.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    For those on the fence about Orion: Dino Beatdown, we've put a review up in the site in my sig.

Long story short: It could be great fun with organised matches and people you know, but the game is truly broken. It goes beyond the crashes, there are balance issues and design issues that run pretty deep. After reading some of the things the lead developer has posted I don't think he really has a good grasp of how to polish a game.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Chat today:
    KBtgd.png

Fun times.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    A couple hours left.

signature.png

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I feel it important to note that, while the criticisms regarding Sniper Elite V2 are mostly true, they aren't game-ruiners. At least, not for me - I've been having tons of fun with it.
    Yes, the levels are linear, the deployables don't come in nearly as handy as they ought to (I've only really used the grenades), and the AI is either really good at noticing you or really bad at it (with no in-between), but that shouldn't interfere with your ability to enjoy putting bullets into faces. It's still very much worth the price of admission, IMO.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Nation Red is the daily, any opinions?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel it important to note that, while the criticisms regarding Sniper Elite V2 are mostly true, they aren't game-ruiners. At least, not for me - I've been having tons of fun with it.
    Yes, the levels are linear, the deployables don't come in nearly as handy as they ought to (I've only really used the grenades), and the AI is either really good at noticing you or really bad at it (with no in-between), but that shouldn't interfere with your ability to enjoy putting bullets into faces. It's still very much worth the price of admission, IMO.

Tripmines, Landmines and even dynamite become way more useful on subsequent playthroughs. Once you know where guys are going to spawn, and where they'll be coming from, you can set up sweet sweet traps.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Online coop barricade sounds pretty fun.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Nation Red is lots of fun. Lots of updates since it's release too. It's definetly a "screw around with some friends" game though. There's not much to the single player, but the MP can be quite fun. Worth a shot at 2 bucks I'd say.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Nation Red is a pretty well done top down Zombie horde shooter with a few different modes and a fun perk/leveling system. It has some nice online features, including coop and leaderboards. Don't look at Lepwave's scores though unless you have no problems confronting your inadequacies.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's a twin stick shooter. If you like those, Go ahead. The price isn't bad.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Nation Red is a pretty well done top down Zombie horde shooter with a few different modes and a fun perk/leveling system. It has some nice online features, including coop and leaderboards. Don't look at Lepwave's scores though unless you have no problems confronting your inadequacies.

Probably for the best if you just think of Lepwave as a robot. A terminator sent from the future.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I picked up sniper elite v2 on steam without the benefit of that GG sale and still don't regret it, though the $30 range and sounds about right for most people to grab it at. I've played much worse games at higher prices, and the flaws that were listed above generally don't make the game unplayable or anything (to me).

Mines and trips are also hilarious fun in multi player.

This is definitely something I will be handing out when it hits Daily Deal prices, for sure.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    For anyone interested in trying out Nation Red...

signature.png

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Nation Red is a decent zombie twin-stick shooter. A bit on the arcade-y side of things. They had a free weekend a while back, and I played all that I needed to play of the game in 4 hours, completing most of the modes of the game. It's fun, more fun in co-op, but it's rather unremarkable. It has the distinction of being "not crap" from a huge pile of really crappy twin-stick zombie games.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Going to the dentist in a few hours to get some problem teeth extracted. I may be a in a vicodin haze for the next few days. If you see me playing something like Railroad Simulator, that is why.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The screenshots people kept posting in here of Sniper Elite V2 made me want it to be the sniper equivalent of Burnout's crash mode. I know from briefly playing the demo that's not really the case, and I'm honestly not sure how one would go about doing that. I'm still quite interested in the game, but I've really been pulling back on new purchases lately. Diablo 3 is coming...

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Going to the dentist in a few hours to get some problem teeth extracted. I may be a in a vicodin haze for the next few days. If you see me playing something like Railroad Simulator, that is why.

You lucky bastard.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The screenshots people kept posting in here of Sniper Elite V2 made me want it to be the sniper equivalent of Burnout's crash mode. I know from briefly playing the demo that's not really the case, and I'm honestly not sure how one would go about doing that. I'm still quite interested in the game, but I've really been pulling back on new purchases lately. Diablo 3 is coming...

It kinda is, there is a score you're given at the end of each level and the fancier the shot (moving headshot, taking otu both nuts etc) the more points you're given. Last I checked I was leading.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Nation Red is a lot of fun, and we need more players! Feels like a Smash TV type experience, but with zombies.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

You lucky bastard.

Man, my doctor must have given me bad vicodin because I don't feel them at all.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Dude! Me too! One of my back molars is so terrible it will cost less to replace it with a titanium screw-in than to fix it. So it's getting yanked.

• Options
    Congrats to @Taramoor You won Costume Quest!

Happy Halloween in May!

z3pPU.jpg

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »

Dude! Me too! One of my back molars is so terrible it will cost less to replace it with a titanium screw-in than to fix it. So it's getting yanked.

Last time I was at the dentist they told me I have a "Nordic Jaw" common in people of Nordic/Germanic descent. Basically it means that even after orthodontia the top and bottom teeth continue to impact each other instead of fitting over one another as nature intended. The end result is that the connective tissue holding my teeth in place is continually damaged by the repetitive impacts, thus leading to constant gum recession that will continue no matter how well I take care of my teeth (and boy howdy do I take care of my teeth).

End result, my teeth will eventually fall out through no fault of my own. So titanium screw-in implants for the win! (in ten to twenty years).

I hate Mondays by the way. No Midweek Madness and only a daily to sustain us until Tuesday.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Just another reason to hate Mondays. :(

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is my first monday back to work in 3 weeks since my daughter was born

so... tired...

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

so... tired...

oh i remember those days weeks. it gets better mostly once sleep becomes regular. i am 7 months in and still exhausted all the time but that is because he gets up early, and i am not a mornign person

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    How Classy is @SkyTurnsRed ? So much so he gifted me DOTA2!

Thank you Sir!

• Options

so... tired...

Ugh, I feel your pain. I'm about 3 weeks back in, now... it gets easier. :)

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.