As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    This is my first monday back to work in 3 weeks since my daughter was born

so... tired...

oh i remember those days weeks. it gets better mostly once sleep becomes regular. i am 7 months in and still exhausted all the time but that is because he gets up early, and i am not a mornign person

This is our second. I also have a 3.5 year old. ;-)

I'm always exhausted on Mondays, but it's worse when I have to get up for an hour in the middle of the night. Last night was really bad because my son kept getting up. He's usually good about that, but I guess he knew I needed sleep.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Sniper Elite V2 was decent but not really great. The shooting and the XRay stuff is good, and made it definitely worth my time, but the AI is pretty bad and the level design is meh.

The maps are fairly linear, which I dislike but it's not really a point against it. The problem though is that most of the game has one path for you to advance down, and enemies will attack you up that same path. I rarely used landmines or tripmines because enemies never flank you, because there's no way for them to flank you when there's only one path in the map.

The AI is pretty annoying. The two problems I have with it are that it's basically omniscient, and that they have no really good tactics to counter you. On one map in particular I shot a guy from 280m, crouching in the corner of a window, and before his body hit the ground the others with him were returning fire. They shouldn't have been able to spot me that easily, and they shouldn't be able to react that quickly. Then, once you have their attention, they can't do much except take potshots and run around aimlessly. They do tend to move towards you, sure, but there are so many times I saw guys firing SMGs at me from 200m or more, and it just seems so silly. If they could do covering fire and leapfrog towards me, pick better cover that doesn't leave their heads visible, that sort of thing, I think it would be much better.

Enemy snipers can see you as soon as there's a direct line between you and them, so counter sniping is just ducking in and out of cover till you figure out where they are, and let your health regenerate while you're looking. On one level I was lying down, crawling up to an open area, looking in a window where I knew an enemy sniper was. He was casually strolling around between windows, not looking down a scope or anything, not at all alerted to my presence, about 180m away, and still managed to hit me less than a second after I poked my head out. I watched him shoulder his rifle and fire before I could even look down my scope. It's just omniscience to a silly degree, and it really simplifies the tactics available to you. Every time you encounter enemy snipers the winning tactic is "Expose yourself, let them shoot you, regenerating health when needed, until you figure out where they are".

I'd also like if more of the levels were wide open and more snipery, as opposed to the "sneak into an enemy base" missions that don't really fit the whole sniper thing at all.

My favourite parts where the levels with loud noises that could mask your shots, it was so much more interesting to try to clear an area without being noticed because once you've been spotted, every encounter plays out the same way, staying hidden keeps things different.

Basically I'm saying buy it for cheap. I definitely feel it was worth the time investment, because I had a lot of fun lining up double headshots and trying to shoot a sniper through his scope (I'm not sure if it can be done, every time I think I got it the replay was too brief or from a bad angle so I couldn't tell), but try not to spend too much money on it.

Every single word of this is also true of the original Sniper Elite, with the added bonus of not having the x-ray killcam. It's why I generally tell people to pass on the it whenever it come up on the Daily. It's not necessary a bad game, but it's not all the fun either.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mallow.gif

Croco1.jpg

Croco2.jpg

Croco3.jpg

Mallowcry.jpg

Suck it, Mallow.

A thank you to @anoffday for the classy gift of Costume Quest.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ha. Freaking love it.

Steam: offday
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, that's pretty great.
    Mario RPG has a better gameplay system. Also Geno.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Super Mario RPG could very well be my favorite game of all time. It's close with Super Mario World.

Steam: offday
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Agreed. Super Mario RPG was fantastic. I replay it every couple years.

Square + Nintendo collaboration for the win.

steam_sig.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Nation Red is a decent zombie twin-stick shooter. A bit on the arcade-y side of things. They had a free weekend a while back, and I played all that I needed to play of the game in 4 hours, completing most of the modes of the game. It's fun, more fun in co-op, but it's rather unremarkable. It has the distinction of being "not crap" from a huge pile of really crappy twin-stick zombie games.

This is my take also, for what it's worth.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bowser was awesome in that. I loved how Mario mimed everything when he was trying to explain something.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty great.
    Mario RPG has a better gameplay system. Also Geno.
    I really wish square would give him is own game...But I suppose the rights to who ACTUALLY owns him are in some kinda limbo.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Going to the dentist in a few hours to get some problem teeth extracted. I may be a in a vicodin haze for the next few days. If you see me playing something like Railroad Simulator, that is why.

Dude! Me too! One of my back molars is so terrible it will cost less to replace it with a titanium screw-in than to fix it. So it's getting yanked.

Last time I was at the dentist they told me I have a "Nordic Jaw" common in people of Nordic/Germanic descent. Basically it means that even after orthodontia the top and bottom teeth continue to impact each other instead of fitting over one another as nature intended. The end result is that the connective tissue holding my teeth in place is continually damaged by the repetitive impacts, thus leading to constant gum recession that will continue no matter how well I take care of my teeth (and boy howdy do I take care of my teeth).

End result, my teeth will eventually fall out through no fault of my own. So titanium screw-in implants for the win! (in ten to twenty years).

I hate Mondays by the way. No Midweek Madness and only a daily to sustain us until Tuesday.

Holy crap, I think I have that. Too many periodontal surgeries later and not too wallet friendly :( Ugh, I like my teeth.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Time for crabbiness:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Back from the dentist. Vicodin mode activate!

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Haha, when I had my shoulder surgery, vicodin mode was "oh goddddd vomit"

Are you the magic man?
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    Back from the dentist. Vicodin mode activate!

I was not given vicodin when I had teeth pulled. I feel this was in error. I will be having more teeth pulled (bet you're all picturing me with one tooth left :P) and I think maybe I'll request this...

fss_overall.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

when i had my shoulder done i was ok with the vicodin but when i had my gall bladder out, it made me itchy . strange. but i never got the feel good man feeling from it so long as you don't count it not hurting as having that feeling

camo_sig.png
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

when i had my shoulder done i was ok with the vicodin but when i had my gall bladder out, it made me itchy . strange. but i never got the feel good man feeling from it so long as you don't count it not hurting as having that feeling

yeah, it made the pain go away but it made me so sick. it's a common reaction, I was told, even when you take it on a full stomach. it also makes my nose itch so much, which is, apparently, less common. they switched me over to something else and it was fine.

Are you the magic man?
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is chat down?

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chats down. What a comment for me to go out on. ;p Is Psychonauts good? Never played it.

God yes, buy it now on sale.

While I worked out a trade with @TPsou for Saint's Row the Third on Shopto because it won't let buy stuff from them, I failed to notice one of the DLCs is super cheap over there too. http://www.shopto.net/DOWNLOAD/VIDEO GAMES/DWNLD28464-Saints Row the Third Genkibowl VII DLC Pack.html

Genkibowl is basically a little over a buck. Anyone that can actually use Shopto mind a trade of some sort?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    No idea whats going on with shopto but myself and a few others can't log in.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Who has an angle bracket, a hyphen and is bad at MSPaint?
    <-this guy
    Who is the classiest adorable bunny?
    @testsubject23
    Classybunny.png
    Thanks for Titan Attack!

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do we know when the summer sale is this year? I am fully prepared to spend so much money. I will serve the Newell like never before.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Are we working our way through the entire animal kingdom?

Because I can think of 24 animals that could use classy hats

Launch Octopus, Chill Penguin, Overdrive Ostrich, Wheel Gator; well, you get the drift.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Are we working our way through the entire animal kingdom?

Because I can think of 24 animals that could use classy hats

Launch Octopus, Chill Penguin, Overdrive Ostrich, Wheel Gator; well, you get the drift.

Well, I was just going based on his avatar, but I like your style!

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    It is surprisingly difficult to track down a good sprite sheet for the MegaMan X bosses.

Which is to say, it wasn't on the first few pages of google, unless I missed it.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I would just like to say that the classiness of @DoctorArch knows no bounds.

That is all, now back to your regularly scheduled classiness

Veevee on
    edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »

Not surprising, haven't been able to register all weekend. Even tried the dreaded Facebook log in (I hate using my FB for things like that) and still got an error. They don't think I'm a real boy.

Corpekata on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »

Not surprising, haven't been able to register all weekend. Even tried the dreaded Facebook log in (I hate using my FB for things like that) and still got an error. They don't think I'm a real boy.

see, its fair enough there's trouble registering new users but I've been registered for years, heck within their first few weeks of going up. And I use them often too. No response from their support gang either.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So I was looking to see if I could pre-install warlock, which I purchased awhile back, and I noticed steam no longer thinks I owned it, listing the price and giving the option of purchasing it. When I go to my all games library page it just lists, "Warlock - Master of the Arcane Preorder". If I right click on it and go to store page, it just takes me to the main store home page.

Anyone else pre-order warlock and seeing the same thing? Do I need to be worried?

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I bet you are alright if it's in the Library already.

Maybe check your purchase history too, just to be safe.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    For the train lovers out there (you know who you are) there's one DLC for Train Simulator at 90% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24021/
    Not sure why that's the only one on sale but if your lifelong dream was to drive a train on a british island then this may be your chance.

camo_sig2.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    For the train lovers out there (you know who you are) there's one DLC for Train Simulator at 90% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24021/
    Not sure why that's the only one on sale but if your lifelong dream was to drive a train on a british island then this may be your chance.

Is it telling that after reading this I just spent ten minutes studying a map of the Isle of Wight?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Who has an angle bracket, a hyphen and is bad at MSPaint?
    <-this guy
    Who is the classiest adorable bunny?
    @testsubject23
    Classybunny.png
    Thanks for Titan Attack!

Aw, the yaybunny gets a classy hat. I am gladdened.

Ooh, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Trains are a guilty pleasure.
    (Yeah, I don't get out much...)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

I think they're doing dailies on individual dlc's for it for a week. I got a popup about a different one on saturday

Warlock Master of the Arcane is out on Gamersgate now, and it's Steamworks so if you don't want to wait for Steam to get their rear in gear and release it in 12 hours you can snag it from them.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WLMA/warlock-master-of-the-arcane?caff=3884871

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If it's steamworks....wouldn't it still be locked?

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    If it's steamworks....wouldn't it still be locked?

No, I don't think so. Much like you could get Botanicula Steam keys from the Humble Bundle the last few weeks and they just released it on Steam today. Though I guess thinking on it I could be wrong.

Corpekata on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    But do I want this warlock game. Someone should tell me this.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.