As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 - The Forever Alones

ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Just thought I'd reach out to the community and make a thread dedicated to the 'forever alones' of PAX attendees this year. This means people that are going to PAX alone and want to meet some new people! This will not only be my FIRST PAX, but i'll be attending alone! Anyone else in the same position (alone and/or first time)? Maybe we can all get together and plan for future PAX's. Specific detail for me: I was only able to nab a Sunday pass, but this thread isn't just for me, so lets get connecting and see how many new bridges we can build!

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
Moe Fwacky on

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    I think that if you go to the community events and such, chat up a few people, you will find you are "never alone" :)

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    A sunday only pass? you poor thing :(

• ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    A sunday only pass? you poor thing :(

Yeah, I was volunteering at school when they went on sale, and due to living half way around the world the hours are hard enough as it as to align to when they MIGHT have sold them. I'm disappointed for sure, but glad I'm getting in at all.....

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Are you going to be staying through Monday/Tuesday? Lots of folks stay over into Monday/Tuesday and it would be easy to arrange a post-PAX (or minipax?) get together if you wanted to put something together. I'm coordinating an all day beer tour that might happen on Monday, and I'm sure there will be other events cropping up on the forums as well.

It seems a shame to fly all the way out here for just a single day of PAX. What makes PAX so great is the community: and WE don't shut down at 6.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited May 2012
    Are you going to be staying through Monday/Tuesday? Lots of folks stay over into Monday/Tuesday and it would be easy to arrange a post-PAX (or minipax?) get together if you wanted to put something together. I'm coordinating an all day beer tour that might happen on Monday, and I'm sure there will be other events cropping up on the forums as well.

It seems a shame to fly all the way out here for just a single day of PAX. What makes PAX so great is the community: and WE don't shut down at 6.

I get in on Friday and am staying till Monday, but as great as parties sound (and i'm sure i'd go) I am only 17 xD (probably something I should have mentioned). But yeah, it would be great to get something for 'people like me' going ;)

ramen215 on
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

A MiniPAX? Haha, that sounds awesome! I'd definitely be a part of that if I didn't have to work on Monday.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of awesome people to hang out with on your first PAX. There's plenty of community events that entire weekend and even if you don't go to PAX Friday and Saturday, there will be people to hang out with outside of PAX.

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    Heading up for my first pax AND heading up alone, so I'll be in the same boat, planning on heading up on paxtrain, gonna be hopefully doing the pubcrawl and the twdt to meet some folks

edited May 2012
    Crogoth wrote: »
    Heading up for my first pax AND heading up alone, so I'll be in the same boat, planning on heading up on paxtrain, gonna be hopefully doing the pubcrawl and the twdt to meet some folks

Saw your button on the buttoneering site ;) I plan to make one soon myself. Also, nice to know i'm not alone in being alone xD

ramen215 on
  • JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Its my first PAX too :) Ive heard that there is usually some stuff going on at the Sheraton. I assume peeps will be there playing games and what-not. :)

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you want to meet new people then DEFINITELY hit up all the community events. You'll make tons of new friends! On Sunday there is the Post PAX Party, and Monday may have a new event going on (date not 100% locked down yet). Regardless, on monday there is usually some sort of unofficial after party with impromptu performances from guys like Frontalot.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LixyLixy Jobless Manchild Edmonds, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This will be my 3rd PAX, and the person that got me to come for the first time wasn't able to get passes this year, so I'm not entirely sure who, if anyone, I'm going with.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    There is a #lonelypax hashtag that gets used, or at least is listed on the Community Wiki twitter page ;).

TOGSolid wrote: »
    If you want to meet new people then DEFINITELY hit up all the community events. You'll make tons of new friends! On Sunday there is the Post PAX Party, and Monday may have a new event going on (date not 100% locked down yet). Regardless, on monday there is usually some sort of unofficial after party with impromptu performances from guys like Frontalot.

i wish i could get enough time off to stay up there on monday, sadly my train departs at like 9:30. sunday night is going to be the night i have to do as much as i can

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I meet some really cool people at PAX a number of which i still talk to!
    I hope you make some new friends :)
    on a side note, I wonder when moe is going to come by with the "PAX IS NOT A DATING SERVICE" message. lol

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tsrblke wrote: »
    There is a #lonelypax hashtag that gets used, or at least is listed on the Community Wiki twitter page ;).

It has certainly been used in the past. Hopefully nobody is actually having a lonely pax after they use it :)

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On Sunday there is the Post PAX Party, and Monday may have a new event going on (date not 100% locked down yet). .

What's happening on Monday?

SquirrelOnFire on
    ramen215 wrote: »

Saw your button on the buttoneering site ;) I plan to make one soon myself. Also, nice to know i'm not alone in being alone xD

damn dude, just read your story on the map thread. sucks so much that you weren't able to get a 3 day pass for your first pax :(

edited May 2012
    On Sunday there is the Post PAX Party, and Monday may have a new event going on (date not 100% locked down yet). .

What's happening on Monday?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159937/prime-schlitzkrieg-curated-seattle-beer-tour-get-your-brew-on#Item_62
    LexiconGrrl is still in the preliminary stages of planning all this so a day has not been officially set. It's starting to look like Monday is the favorite of most everyone though.

And like I mentioned, there is usually some sort of random after party at a random bar that will have performances from guys like Frontalot and whoever else shows up. We don't have anything to do with that, it's one of those "watch twitter/facebook/etc." sorta things to see if anything extra is going on. I've yet to see a PAX where there wasn't some sort of shenanigans going on Monday evening though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Project TUROProject TURO Denver, CORegistered User regular
    This will be my 4th year going but I too shall be alone. I do however find PAX a place to make awesome new friends!

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Even alone you are not alone at PAX... I find flying solo I get to see and do more anyway. Other people tie me down or make me attend things I have little to no interest in. Besides, I meet great people when I am trying out this or that game in any case (primarily of the tabletop and/or RPG variety).

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    This will be my fourth PAX (my first Prime!), and I'll be going solo... it'll be different, but fun, can't wait!

ramen215 wrote: »

damn dude, just read your story on the map thread. sucks so much that you weren't able to get a 3 day pass for your first pax :(

yeah, well I guess you live, you learn? xD I'll try not to be volunteering during the 'approximate sell date' for next year :P

• zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    My fiancee and I are going to our first PAX this year too. Sometimes we do things together, sometimes we go our separate ways. Heck she reserved a king suite just cause she'll spend more time in the hotel than me, heh.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    I'll be going solo this year, my first PAX. Got a King Size bed at the Grand Hyatt all to myself. But I hope I can meet some awesome people and maybe hit up a party or two.

• JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I'm travelling over on my own too. But I've heard plenty about how PAX is a great place to meet new friends and get along with everyone around you so I'm looking forward to it.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    As someone who spent a decent amount of time at PAX East this year solo, I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to attend PAX solo. Not that you shouldn't do it, you litterally CAN'T do it, as I have never felt more welcome in a crowd of strangers in my life. The majority of my time spent "alone" at PAX involved playing tabletop with other attendees, getting invited to countless awesome games of whatever you can imagine while waiting "alone" in line, and chatting with "that random guy you run into that apparently shares a ton of your interests".

That said, while it is incredibly easy to meet people at PAX, I highly suggest taking part in some of the community stuff before, during, and after PAX as they are fantastic ways to meet people.

Also, as most of my PAX friends only attend east, I'll be headed up solo myself and I'm always up for pretty much anything.

1tLJUH2O.png
    I still don't even know what to expect to be honest, first convention ever. All I know is that I'll be surrounded by likeminded people and that I'm going to have an amazing time

• PrinnysaurusRexPrinnysaurusRex TexasRegistered User regular
    You are never alone at PAX. You might be by yourself (I'm quite the lone wolf, myself) but you are never alone. Soon you'll meet 70,000 new acquaintances and a whole lot of friends.

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's going to be my first time at PAX this year also, also flying solo unless one of my friends lets me into their group, although I did manage to get myself a 3-day pass. It does help that I live about 20 minutes outside of Seattle. I am really looking forward to what Riot Games is showing this year along with their NA Season 2 qualifier tournament. I also plan on playing a good bit of MTG.

Edit: Said tournament is probably why passes sold out so fast.

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

You are never alone at PAX. You might be by yourself (I'm quite the lone wolf, myself) but you are never alone. Soon you'll meet 70,000 new acquaintances and a whole lot of friends.

FUCKING THIS

wWuzwvJ.png
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    First pax and TBH first con ever and I'll be alone :( .

RavenHusky wrote: »
    It's going to be my first time at PAX this year also, also flying solo unless one of my friends lets me into their group, although I did manage to get myself a 3-day pass. It does help that I live about 20 minutes outside of Seattle. I am really looking forward to what Riot Games is showing this year along with their NA Season 2 qualifier tournament. I also plan on playing a good bit of MTG.

Edit: Said tournament is probably why passes sold out so fast.

Indeed, that's one of my main reasons for going as well. Also, its great to hear that one is never actually 'alone' at PAX, hope to see some/all of you there :)

• ZazumZazum Registered User regular
    I've been to East three times with my boyfriend and friends, but never Prime. So I'm going alone this year as a birthday present to myself!

• zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular

This quote should be used in PAX advertising, heh

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Nice. Just found out I'm gonna have to stay an extra day (fly out Tuesday morning), so I was looking for something to do.

mikegonzalez on
    "I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
    edited May 2012
    Nice. Just found out I'm gonna have to stay an extra day (fly out Tuesday morning), so I was looking for something to do.
    You'll want to follow whoever is performing for PAX that weekend on Twitter. Usually things get passed around there first. Also usually the different booths may have fliers for some sort of event going on so just keep an eye out for those sort of things.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If I end up going I'll be with buddies, that being said we have different interests. I intend to talk to just about every person I meet in line, so if you aren't ready for some sort of conversation I apologize before-hand to all y'all.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    If I end up going I'll be with buddies, that being said we have different interests. I intend to talk to just about every person I meet in line, so if you aren't ready for some sort of conversation I apologize before-hand to all y'all.

When in doubt, discuss the Leaf. The Cult will live on.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • longklawlongklaw Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    This is my first year and I'm going alone. I will be sharing a room with folks I found on the forums

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    As other people have mentioned there is the Triwizard Drinking Tournament on Thursday night for those who are 21+.

It tends to fill up fast but it is a great way to get out on the town and make some friends before PAX even starts.

Atlus Parker on
This discussion has been closed.