As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Wow, a very intense 2 hours just breezed by like nothing.

I take it all the decent weapons are in the main cities? I'm not too familiar with the Arma 2 map, but it seemed like I was wandering around more rural areas. The best stuff I found was just some more magazines for my Makarov.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Wow, a very intense 2 hours just breezed by like nothing.

I take it all the decent weapons are in the main cities? I'm not too familiar with the Arma 2 map, but it seemed like I was wandering around more rural areas. The best stuff I found was just some more magazines for my Makarov.

I think military bases have "the best guns". But that might be subjective. Automatic weapons are normally a waste of ammo against zombies. Likewise rifles are overly loud and will call in every God damn zombie for miles to feast on your fleshy brain pasta.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2012
    Phew, finally found a few respectable firearms.

I was following a winding logging road up a mountain at night in the pouring rain, then got separated from the road due to the low visibility, so I ended up walking through the heavy foliage blind. Somehow through sheer dumb luck, I stumbled upon a large house and a shack.

After nearly getting eaten alive by a bunch of zombies while looting, I made it out with a Winchester 1866, and a revolver. I kind of felt bad about leaving my Makarov behind, but I also found a flashlight and didn't have enough room in my backpack for both. I don't know how to turn it on though.

Dangerbird on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    My God this is addicting and insanely fun. How is it 3:30 already?

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The Winchester 1866 is pretty great. No one can deny the utility of a shotgun in the zombie apocalypse and the ammo is fucking everywhere.

• YallYall Registered User regular
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Hokey, I'm on NY4 too.

I spawned at the airstrip near Cherno, will try to contact you.

World's best janitor
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    pretty sure i just looted chern while every one else was fighting all around me. I have no idea how No one ever saw me but i looted so many dead PCs.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Vent is empty. No one else on?

edit: So I've been trying to get into a game for 40 minutes. This might explain why none of you are playing. :P

Yall on
    Yeah, been trying for ages.

Managed to get on to Dallas 3 for a bit. Decent server, but the "owner" is camped in the NW airfield with his friends, so the odds are kinda stacked a bit.

World's best janitor
    Looks like NY4 just took a nosedive. Was having fun, too :(

I have no idea what any of the cities are, but I was wandering through some town and happened upon 3-4 other scavengers, who all merrily decided to stick together while rummaging about the town. After a bit of looting some people moved toward the outer edge of our little compound, and were promptly sniped down by a bandit from a nearby hill.

I tried to play hero and got shot myself, though it proved to be non-lethal, or someone else came along and revived me. Not sure which, but I immediately crawled over behind a nearby wall and bandaged myself up. Though I was still dangerously low on blood, I proceeded to wait in absolute silence, when a few minutes later the bandit came into the compound where I summarily pumped about 3 slugs into his chest, then to be on the safe side I walked over to his dropped body and put another one in his face. Looted him and got the CZ rifle with full ammo loadout, compass, and a watch.

I'm now sitting on top of a some building, which I also found a pair of binoculars in, waiting for the sounds of gunfire in the nearby town to die down so I can move on elsewhere. Now I just need a map, and some idea where the hell I am.

steam_sig.png

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've been watching a bunch of Kilroy's videos on youtube. Man, I wish I had some time to dedicate to organized ArmA play.

I've just started to get into the regular Arma 2 multiplayer, did some screwing around with some of the other Gents in GotR. It made me regret not jumping in sooner, although the time I've put into the single player first probably payed off since I've got the interface together.

But yeah, nothing beats a helicopter insertion then infiltrating and spotting positions for artillery strikes solo. I felt like goddamn Solid Snake.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I've just started to get into the regular Arma 2 multiplayer, did some screwing around with some of the other Gents in GotR. It made me regret not jumping in sooner, although the time I've put into the single player first probably payed off since I've got the interface together.

But yeah, nothing beats a helicopter insertion then infiltrating and spotting positions for artillery strikes solo. I felt like goddamn Solid Snake.

I highly recommend you download the Evolution mod. Like DayZ it takes place on the colossal Chernarus map. All of the map is in enemy NPC hands, and players must move out from their base of operations at an airfield and take territory. Kill all enemies in a town, and destroy the radio tower to stop enemy reinforcements to make the town part of your territory. The enemy will launch counterattacks too in order to retake lost territory.
    You gain access to better weapons and vehicles by going up in ranks. You lose ranks by team killing.

My friend and I played quite a bit of it in LAN games. But the 2 of us were never able to get very far. We couldn't even take a single town. More players, more success.

• Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    Get in game! I need people to die with!

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    So what do I have to do to get in on some of this zombie goodness?

servers don't seem to be working right now after the latest update.

:(

So what do I have to do to get in on some of this zombie goodness?

Install Arma 2 and OA, install the mod, get into vent, wait for hours to get into a server.

Yeah, trying to play Day Z on the weekend is total futility unless you are a hermit with nothing better to do than try to connect to a server.

Guess I'll just make this one of my during weekdays things, at least until there is enough of a server population to support the players.

Hurrah for reviving my interest in Arma 2 though. Every time I pick up Arma 2 I find more to enjoy about it. It's been a slow burn for me, but I'm definitely glad it's in my collection now.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    What all do I need to download for Dayz?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    What all do I need to download for Dayz?

All of this.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Things to love - the tension. The setting. the wild west feel. The just trying to survive. I love love love it. Running in a group is so gd fun.

Things to hate - The wonky engine. The fact that one zombie can solo kill you (which is fine as an issue alone) compunded by weird zombie movement and server lag spikes that cause them to teleport around due to thier crazy speed. Soloing is so dangerous due to this. And it should not be if its just one on one. Im a crack shot in this game. Even with the lag i can generally drop them on the run. But the teleporting? Thats just unfair. :/

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    I struggle the most with the clunky, and sometimes downright buggy inventory mechanics. I can't tell you how many times my stuff went poof for whatever reason.

Though I guess it makes for some pretty tense looting. Once I was able to take out two bandits who were investigating a road flare I popped. I was nearly shitting myself looking through their corpses because I just KNEW they were coming for me.

Dangerbird wrote: »
    I struggle the most with the clunky, and sometimes downright buggy inventory mechanics. I can't tell you how many times my stuff went poof for whatever reason.

Though I guess it makes for some pretty tense looting. Once I was able to take out two bandits who were investigating a road flare I popped. I was nearly shitting myself looking through their corpses because I just KNEW they were coming for me.

On the inventory- just know if you switch weapons that all ammo for the old weapon goes into the ether. The proceddure is set ammo in the ground first then swap guns. And always do swaps on a loot pile so that you dont glitch and lose items through the ground.

You were safe. If you down someone chances are they spawned a million miles away. Even if they spawned close.... they gotta do the 'walking simulater' thing to get near you.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I had a really good time yesterday turning Electro into a care bear city. I had been kicked off a server just after looting a hospital and got rubber banded inside of it, meaning I had a ridiculous amount of medical supplies. I told people that they could come to the church if they needed medical aid, and over a couple of hours I gave four blood transfusions and helped several people scavenge for weapons throughout the city. There was one shooting leading to two deaths, but for the most part the city was calm.

We later led an expedition to Chern, losing one guy on the way but arriving safe in the church there in time for me to call it a day. I broke 100 zombie kills for the first time and earned over 1k humanity, I just hope I will be able to continue to help people in Chern.

edited May 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    On the inventory- just know if you switch weapons that all ammo for the old weapon goes into the ether. The proceddure is set ammo in the ground first then swap guns. And always do swaps on a loot pile so that you dont glitch and lose items through the ground.
    This is good advice. If you have other ammo types on you when you drop your weapon, that will all drop as well, which is incredibly annoying and something to be aware of also.

Also, don't climb ladders without a primary weapon (i.e. rifle) equipped, you'll just fall off and break your legs. This is a bug with the original game and not something that will likely be fixed, as I don't think you're ever expected to not have a primary weapon in that.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    This is good advice. If you have other ammo types on you when you drop your weapon, that will all drop as well, which is incredibly annoying and something to be aware of also.

Also, don't climb ladders without a primary weapon (i.e. rifle) equipped, you'll just fall off and break your legs. This is a bug with the original game and not something that will likely be fixed, as I don't think you're ever expected to not have a primary weapon in that.

I love literal game engines like that; it's like a perverse DnD GM:

"I climb the ladder, I rolled a 24 on my check"
    "Okay. Hey, just out of curiosity, your character uses a 2H sword, right?"
    "Yeah, 2D12+6, I just got done beating the crap out of an ogre"
    "Right. And you didn't sheath it, did you?"
    "... no? Since when have we ever needed to she-"
    "So you're climbing a ladder with just your legs?"
    "... I guess?"
    "Someone look up the rules for falling damage please."

edited May 2012
    Yeah, but ARMA is ass backwards.

If you have a rifle in your hands, it assumes you sling it before you climb and everything is dandy. If you have a pistol in your hand, it assumes you climb fine until you get right to the top and then you automatically fail a fumble check!

Edit: from a gameplay perspective, what I'm trying to say is, don't climb ladders until you've found a rifle!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    I've been fine just switching to road flares before I climb a ladder if I don't have a long arm to equip.

edited May 2012
    Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: A quick hint.

There are three servers running the beta patch, they almost always have multiple empty slots available.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    What in god's name is all this? Holy fuck. I'll be on tonight if I get a chance.

Goddamnit I forgot to eat and drink before going to school...I swear to god if I've starved to death when I get back home I'll rage so hard. I have a compass. A compass! And a single mag for a suppressed NATO weapon! I'm like super wealthy!

You won't die when logged off, but I'm pretty sure when you log on you will need to immediately eat and drink to NOT die.

steam_sig.png

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    This mod is pushing the game up on Steam big time and word of mouth is spreading.

Can't blame that, it does look amazing.

edited May 2012
    Just got all the way to Cherno only to have some dick who I purposely didn't shoot in the back and made a point of saying hello to, follow me for 5 minutes then fucking shoot me.

Hell is other people I guess, but seriously 90% of the people playing this game are grade A sociopaths.

Unless people give me a really good reason I'm just going to shoot on sight now, so they "turned" me, hurray for them.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    edited May 2012
    The problem is going to anyplace on the coast. That's PK turf, bigtime. Make your way inland a bit and you'll probably find more cooperative players. At least that's been my experience. Then if you can manage to team up with a few the coastal cities and towns may be a bit more manageable.

Drake on
    edited May 2012
    No, up north is basically shoot on sight too.

Anyone up there actually has shit worth losing, and they guard it pretty jealously.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    Me and Aiserou travelled up to Zub yesterday, which is probably the best place for new players to head. It's inland, directly north of Cherno. There's a defensible castle on a hill with loot and a small walled compound with a pump you can use to fill canteens.

I think he changed castles this patch, just been to Rog and it was completely empty.

Decided to spawn in zombies after I explored it though... you know, just to keep me on my toes...

World's best janitor
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1011

The dev that created the mod is now asking players what they'd like to see if DayZ was developed into a full game.