As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Edinburgh Manor (Mini Phalla) Day 6: Mafia and Princess Victory!

1151617181921»

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Its winky surrounded by two colons.

:winky:

Bedlam on
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Oh you bet it is. x

:winky:
    Eww.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Well, the PM said we were allied with the townspeople, so I figured we were, y'know, allied. with. the. village. I'm not sure why that was in the PM I guess, but it didn't HURT me exactly (although it weakened my plan obviously).

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    how hard is it to read a win condition you guys.
    Bedlam wrote: »
    You win when you find the Queen’s children and survive until the end of the game.

There is nothing at all aligned with the village between when it starts telling you how you win and when it stops.

differentiate between your fluff and your actual goal, guys.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Reading is for sissies.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Guardbot is illiterate

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    That could be partly my fault. I wasn't familiar with how neutrals usually work, so I figured it was entirely up to me. I could have been a bit more clear on whether you could win with the mafia or not, but I was trying to not even mention "mafia." The idea was that everyone thought they were going to a party and no one knew what was going on until after the first kills.

My fluff reasoning behind Bedlam was that he was just there to get the prince and princess and get out. Petty squabbles and some dead guy's treasure were none of his concern.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    how hard is it to read a win condition you guys.
    Bedlam wrote: »
    You win when you find the Queen’s children and survive until the end of the game.

There is nothing at all aligned with the village between when it starts telling you how you win and when it stops.

differentiate between your fluff and your actual goal, guys.

Except that leading into that sentence it talks about how we were aligned with the village. Why would we care about the village if we're ONLY survivals?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    2 kills is pretty damn standard for the mafia to have and ours could have been taken away. Not sure why people are bitching about that. If anything it should be all of the mafia having powers. And the village having powers up the wazoo also- and the vigis being confined to rooms.

This. I really don't understand all the hate for the trap mechanic. Ignore for a second that you could do anything about it, since some of you are convinced it was impossible to have. That's just a second mafia kill that only landed 4 out of 7 times. And it was guardable. And it was bus-drivable. It just couldn't be blocked (because the trap was already there). The guard/roleblock would have just stopped/diverted the target from landing in the laid trap.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm still unclear about what you meant with that role block/trap clarification

steam_sig.png
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Honestly, for the narration, I was always super super worried I would out someone. I wanted to have the narration provide clues for those who cares to look, but I didn't want someone to be outed because of it. For example, I did not narrate Cayrus's vig hit on facetious because I couldn't without making it obvious he was the ghost. I also didn't want to turn all powers into seers by narrating blocks/roleblocks/bus drives too much. I realize I did narrate lonelyahava's bus drive that killed SLyM, but it was really only a true reveal to the mafia. Who already knew, because they seered her Day 1.

On a side note, at the start of the game, Retaba had PM'd me before I sent out the role PMs. He said he had reserved, but he'd like to instead "play along" with someone else. Basically, that person would share all info with him, but he'd still be out of the game and just an observer. That gave me an idea. The ghost was already going to be possessing the gardener to start, so what if the gardener was facetious but the ghost was Retaba? The game would play out like it did, but when facetious was hit the first time, he'd die (narration indicates the gardener was killed), and he'd be out of the game. But then Retaba would enter, as the ghost.

The problem of course being that people would just vote him out because he's the ghost. But I thought it'd be neat if killing the gardener would reveal the "true" ghost.

This would be a neat mechanic, the thing would be to make more of a "sudden death" type scenario. If the wrong (or right) person(s) die, the game becomes deadlier. You just make the incoming danger not so much a player as simply a death mechanic. Immune to the vote etc. But able to just rp as their role.

Also, I had fun being attached to TRV :P I might of suggested some things that lead to his death though?

Spoit wrote: »
    I'm still unclear about what you meant with that role block/trap clarification

The trap could not be stopped via roleblock, because the Saboteur lays his traps at 7 PM. It comes first, along with the lock (which never actually got used). Obifett roleblocks GrimmyTOA that night, but the trap is already laid. There's nothing to roleblock. GrimmyTOA did not need to be alive and/or active for someone to die to the trap. The room itself was trapped.

Also, if Grimmy had died with traps still laid from other nights, those traps would remain and target the appropriate people should the village move there.

No, I got the part about the traps already in existence, it's the roleblock on the same day not being able to, well, roleblock, that I don't get.

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    No, I got the part about the traps already in existence, it's the roleblock on the same day not being able to, well, roleblock, that I don't get.

Roleblock what? If you understand that the trap exists, why would roleblocking him do anything?

Example:

GrimmyTOA lays trap B on Day 2 @7PM
    Village moves to room with trap B
    Village votes out Someone
    Village/Mafia defensive powers activate GrimmyTOA is roleblocked.
    Village/Mafia offensive powers activate Traps kills its target.

It's the same reason voting him out wouldn't prevent the trap. Or vigging him wouldn't prevent dieing to future traps.

So....it was the CD order of actions, got it

steam_sig.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    2 kills is pretty damn standard for the mafia to have and ours could have been taken away. Not sure why people are bitching about that. If anything it should be all of the mafia having powers. And the village having powers up the wazoo also- and the vigis being confined to rooms.

This. I really don't understand all the hate for the trap mechanic. Ignore for a second that you could do anything about it, since some of you are convinced it was impossible to have. That's just a second mafia kill that only landed 4 out of 7 times. And it was guardable. And it was bus-drivable. It just couldn't be blocked (because the trap was already there). The guard/roleblock would have just stopped/diverted the target from landing in the laid trap.

Just providing feedback.

Maybe it was just the combination of 2 mafia kills plus a SK plus neutrals in a 25 player game plus not knowing what roles were out there or the extra death mechanics.

It just seemed harsh that after only 4 village on village deaths before they honed in on a perfect mafia/SK kill streak, the village still ended up losing.