As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Well, what did Kirby have to do with the movie? If he's dead, then he didn't do anything for the movie. The arguments over what he should or shouldn't get from what he did or didn't create really has no bearing on the movie as far as I can tell.
    He created Fury, Thor, Cap & Iron Man. Without him their is no movie to make. That's why he deserves credit and his family compensation for Marvel exploiting his works.
    He helped create several characters. And, unless they retain the rights, the notion that his family deserves compensation is ludicrous.

Several? Hah! If you ever get the chance, look thru the old Marvel Universe or Who's Who (DC) comics, and look at all the different characters he had a hand in. Also, I believe he did some for some other companies also.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of The Punisher.... Seeing as how a Nick Fury run SHIELD movie is confirmed, and LionsGate owns the film rights to the Punisher currently, I wouldn't doubt they'd sell it back to Marvel for a reasonable price since A) it has no real dollar value for them other than selling, since War Zone tanked and b) LionsGate just did right by Whedon by buying Cabin in the Woods from MGM and releasing it a month before the Avengers, so they'd want to remain close to Whedon at this point.

I could see Fury trying to bring in the punisher for the Shield movie. It worked in the Ultimates.

Marvel already got the rights to Punisher back. Same with Blade.

They're missing Daredevil/Electra (Fox), Fantastic Four (Fox), Ghost Rider (Sony), Spider-Man (Sony) and X-Men (Fox).

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Kirby was pretty big over at DC after he left Marvel. Created Darkseid and all the New Gods related characters.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of The Punisher.... Seeing as how a Nick Fury run SHIELD movie is confirmed, and LionsGate owns the film rights to the Punisher currently, I wouldn't doubt they'd sell it back to Marvel for a reasonable price since A) it has no real dollar value for them other than selling, since War Zone tanked and b) LionsGate just did right by Whedon by buying Cabin in the Woods from MGM and releasing it a month before the Avengers, so they'd want to remain close to Whedon at this point.

I could see Fury trying to bring in the punisher for the Shield movie. It worked in the Ultimates.

Marvel already got the rights to Punisher back. Same with Blade.

They're missing Daredevil/Electra (Fox), Fantastic Four (Fox), Ghost Rider (Sony), Spider-Man (Sony) and X-Men (Fox).

Rather than films they need to make a Punisher tv series. It keeps the public entertained with their version without taking a slot in their busy movie schedule. Not the current tv series shopped around, either. I mean on Starz or HBO with Dexter material. Same with Blade. That's what the original Blade tv series was meant to be like with Snipes in the lead until it went to Spike.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    If they get the rights to Daredevil back at some point, they must do a Daredevil vs Punisher movie.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If they get the rights to Daredevil back at some point, they must do a Daredevil vs Punisher movie.

:^:

Fox needs to hurry if they want to keep those licenses. They mustn't have much time left to get things going. Being less popular Marvel licenses, unlike X-men or Spider-man, also should make it more difficult to get talent interested in doing the projects and Fox using all their power to keep them. It's a relief other companies never got their hands on Black Widow in a big budget film. We'd all be missing out on Whedon's badass version in Avengers.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just got in through the door from seeing the movie. And now I'm on the internet sputtering my shit about how fucking rad it was.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I just got in through the door from seeing the movie. And now I'm on the internet sputtering my shit about how fucking rad it was.

It's incredible, isn't it?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It was everything I remember from the comics back in the early 90's. Goddamn my innerchild is just so pleased. But the part that made me happiest is that everyone in the film got fair play for the most part. I was expecting Hawkeye to have such a backseat throughout, and instead, he's a constant presence on screen like everyone else.

• Options

:^:

Fox needs to hurry if they want to keep those licenses. They mustn't have much time left to get things going. Being less popular Marvel licenses, unlike X-men or Spider-man, also should make it more difficult to get talent interested in doing the projects and Fox using all their power to keep them. It's a relief other companies never got their hands on Black Widow in a big budget film. We'd all be missing out on Whedon's badass version in Avengers.

IIRC, they just got somebody new to work on a script for a new Daredevil movie. Fantastic Four is in a similar situation. And Ghost Rider just had a new movie.

• Options
    edited May 2012

It was everything I remember from the comics back in the early 90's. Goddamn my innerchild is just so pleased. But the part that made me happiest is that everyone in the film got fair play for the most part. I was expecting Hawkeye to have such a backseat throughout, and instead, he's a constant presence on screen like everyone else.

Yeah, Hawkeye did well.
    From what I've read in some reviews I expected Barton to be a non-entity killer from the majority of the film. I'm glad they kept him as a strategist and had his personality only turned from good to evil. Makes him far more dangerous to everyone. Fury's lucky to be alive with evil! Hawkeye shooting him on sight. The moment where he and Widow discuss what happened about the brainwashing was heart warming to watch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Kirby was pretty big over at DC after he left Marvel. Created Darkseid and all the New Gods related characters.

That's because he left Marvel after having created and designed their entire universe, seen it turn into a massive hit and spawned the Bronze age of Comics.

DC paid him more to create Darkseid, then Marvel paid him to create pretty much every major IP except Deadpool. Which considering how much mileage DC gets out of Darkseid was still a bargain.

As for Stan Lee lying about working in comics. Back in the 60s working in comics was the equivalent of muzak jingles for a composer: an instant kiss of death for any artistic respectability. Its like a writer today being revealed as having a past writing fan-fic. Considering how badly it apparently paid and how lousy working conditions where, I understand him wanting to keep his options open.

Also Comics in the early 60s where for kids and stupid adults. Stan Lee and Kirby changed that, gradually. Emphasis on gradually.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

That's because he left Marvel after having created and designed their entire universe, seen it turn into a massive hit and spawned the Bronze age of Comics.

DC paid him more to create Darkseid, then Marvel paid him to create pretty much every major IP except Deadpool. Which considering how much mileage DC gets out of Darkseid was still a bargain.

As for Stan Lee lying about working in comics. Back in the 60s working in comics was the equivalent of muzak jingles for a composer: an instant kiss of death for any artistic respectability. Its like a writer today being revealed as having a past writing fan-fic. Considering how badly it apparently paid and how lousy working conditions where, I understand him wanting to keep his options open.

Also Comics in the early 60s where for kids and stupid adults. Stan Lee and Kirby changed that, gradually. Emphasis on gradually.

List 5 "major" characters that Jack Kirby created on his second run with Marvel (post "New Gods" DC). Devil Dinosaur? Machine Man? Kirby pretty much stopped creating new characters for Marvel after FF #67.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

List 5 "major" characters that Jack Kirby created on his second run with Marvel (post "New Gods" DC). Devil Dinosaur? Machine Man? Kirby pretty much stopped creating new characters for Marvel after FF #67.

Besides Machine Man and Devil Dinosaur, he created the Eternals and the Celestials, which are a couple dozen major characters right there.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    He did Eternals, too? Man, Jack Kirby went back to the space-gods-well one too many times.

Maybe two-too-many times.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    He did Eternals, too? Man, Jack Kirby went back to the space-gods-well one too many times.

didn't he do New Gods for DC?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm all for Kirby getting his due, but this is not a subject that will be decided in this thread. Especially seeing as how none of the actual parties involved are part of the discussion going on here. Phantom battles with phantom victories and all that.

Back to the Avengers, I have to say it's funny.

Could've sworn it was Cap that was playing Galaga during the meeting. I know it's not, now, but I kinda wanted it to be. Like he got distracted by all the future tech in his face and accidentally started playing a video game without really intending to.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Let's be honest: there is nothing Stan Lee won't do or cameo in for a Klondike Bar.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I have some gripes listed, but since they're more on the cinema side of things I put them in the movies thread. Feel free to hurl invective over there as is your wont.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I took my nephew to see the Avengers today, and was surprised to see the 3D version sold out - I'm in the UK and it's been out for a few weeks here.

We saw the 2D version and hour later, adn that was almost full, too.

I can't remember a film that's been selling out weeks afterwards - it's doing amazingly well.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I actually had to stand in line to get into the theater. I can't remember the last time I had to do that. Maybe Empire or Return of the Jedi? Definitly worth it though. I may have to go again on a less crowded day, just to get evrything I may have missed with the crowd laughing at certain parts.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    At the risk of sounding cheeky or snarky, this would be a good movie to see again.

You know, I only ever saw the Dark Knight once? It seemed to fit exactly into the space it played in and I loved what I saw. Somehow that also meant I wouldn't see it again.

Avengers looks like worth seeing again.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    At the risk of sounding cheeky or snarky, this would be a good movie to see again.

You know, I only ever saw the Dark Knight once? It seemed to fit exactly into the space it played in and I loved what I saw. Somehow that also meant I wouldn't see it again.

Avengers looks like worth seeing again.

Just for comparison, I saw it again today in IMAX. It looked pretty good, I must say.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

To be fair, space gods are awesome.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This thread is long, forgive me if it's been brought up, but did anyone notice at the start of the movie that:
    evil Hawkeye is absolute ass with a firearm? I don't think any of his shots even hit the jeep that black widow was driving to pursue them.
    When he gets his hands on a bow though, he can shoot flying aliens without needing to look at them. I always thought he was a crackshot in general and just preferred the bow because bows are cool, but he's shit with a gun and a hawkeye with arrows? Interesting

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    This thread is long, forgive me if it's been brought up, but did anyone notice at the start of the movie that:
    evil Hawkeye is absolute ass with a firearm? I don't think any of his shots even hit the jeep that black widow was driving to pursue them.
    When he gets his hands on a bow though, he can shoot flying aliens without needing to look at them. I always thought he was a crackshot in general and just preferred the bow, but he's shit with a gun and a hawkeye with arrows? Interesting

I think
    its only Ulimate Hawkeye that's a crack shot with everything

• Options
    Morblitz wrote: »
    When he gets his hands on a bow though, he can shoot flying aliens without needing to look at them. I always thought he was a crackshot in general and just preferred the bow, but he's shit with a gun and a hawkeye with arrows? Interesting
    He's not terrible with the gun at all, it's just his archery skills are far superior they're bordering on the supernatural which makes his shooting looks bad. Of course, with a gun he can still shoot mortal wounds very quickly and accurately when needed. He shot Fury in the chest like it was nothing, for example. He's definitely deadlier with a his bow & arrow, with those arrows giving him enormous variety with their payloads.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    while being a bad guy he suffers a significant aim penalty, like all bad guys

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I really liked the industrial design of Hawkeye's quiver in how the bow allowed him to select what arrowhead he needed on the fly.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    while being a bad guy he suffers a significant aim penalty, like all bad guys

plot armor has a very high AC

• Options
    I just figured that
    Like Selvig who put the safeguard into the portal machine, Hawkeye was subconsciously aiming poorly. It would also explain why he didn't just shoot Fury in teh head instead of his chest, even though he knew Fury would likely be wearing body armor.

• Options
    I just figured that
    Like Selvig who put the safeguard into the portal machine, Hawkeye was subconsciously aiming poorly. It would also explain why he didn't just shoot Fury in teh head instead of his chest, even though he knew Fury would likely be wearing body armor.
    That's a definite possibility. Unfortunately they didn't confirm it.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I just figured that

Come on, there's no way the eyepatch isn't armored, too.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Bagginses wrote: »
    I just figured that

Come on, there's no way the eyepatch isn't armored, too.

Heh. It's probably got a built-in laser in there, as well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Avengers movie. I enjoyed the dialogue, thought it was paced well, everyone got screen time, action and effects were great.

The only complaint is that the ship fight dragged a bit.

This was made up for by HULK SMASH

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Avengers movie. I enjoyed the dialogue, thought it was paced well, everyone got screen time, action and effects were great.

The only complaint is that the ship fight dragged a bit.

This was made up for by HULK SMASH

yes
    The-Avengers-2012-Hulk-vs-Loki-SMASH.gif

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I love the guy
    playing Galaga that Tony Stark calls out. Like the idea that you are in a futuristic helicarrier ready to save the world and some workers are still wasting time playing games and solitaire and such.

Prohass on
  • Options
    RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    I learned that the only thing that can upstage the Tony Stark Show: Starring Tony Stark are Hulk Sight Gags.

I kind of felt the USS Impractical jumped the shark. Giant flying cloaking air craft carrier? Can we have flaming skeletons with dice for eyes doing dirt bike tricks on it while Slash plays a sweet solo on guitar? Get the 8-year-old boy out of the brainstorming meeting for my superhero movie please.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    oh sweet, sweet helicarrier, how I love you

http://marvel.wikia.com/S.H.I.E.L.D._Helicarrier

531px-House_of_M_Vol_1_6_page_3_Helicarrier.jpg

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think my only real issue with the movie was regarding Fury and SHIELD, in general.
    Fury didn't really seem like the bad ass super secret agent he's supposed to be. I mean, he walks around with a regular ol' pistol? Where are all the cool gadgets?

This discussion has been closed.