As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Finally finished my new desktop. Starting this is one of my rewards. Hopefully I'll get the chance to play with some of you fine folks soon.

For now, let me get killed a lot. I hear that's how you learn.

• goegoegoegoe Sir Unskilled-a-lot EURegistered User new member
    Btw, what mouse sensitivity do you guys use? I'm at 3.5 atm, started adjusting from the default 30 (I have absolutely NO idea who plays at such settings, it seems insane) over the past two weeks and was amazed how much of an impact it has on aiming abilities.

I sometimes feel I've got to target the heavies, 'cause nobody else seems to care, even if I spot them, nobody moves to take the fat jerk out and he just keeps pummeling the base, causing much more mayhem than he should be allowed to.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »

For some of us, that's how we PLAY. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular

Haha, quite. :P Played TCN some over the weekend. Having fun helping to keep our rets/fields up...but every time I have to 1vs1 a brute or jugg in the gen room... D: (Doesn't help that I'm rubbish with the SMG).

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Glocjt wrote: »

Haha, quite. :P Played TCN some over the weekend. Having fun helping to keep our rets/fields up...but every time I have to 1vs1 a brute or jugg in the gen room... D: (Doesn't help that I'm rubbish with the SMG).

Several people disagree with me, but I find the SMG to be utterly useless. The thumper is worlds better if you can unlock it.

Too bad weapons are rather expensive. Nearly 10 bucks for a gun? No thanks.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    I have the TCN thumper unlocked but almost solely use the SMG. Better for shooting at incoming/outgoing cappers and softening up incoming offense.

If I have to clear out a gen room, I suicide and use the Brute. Pretty effective.

PNA1v.jpg
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Glocjt wrote: »

Several people disagree with me, but I find the SMG to be utterly useless. The thumper is worlds better if you can unlock it.

Too bad weapons are rather expensive. Nearly 10 bucks for a gun? No thanks.

I encountered a player in Team Deathmatch last night who was nearly singlehandedly winning the matches as TCN with the SMG. 30 plus kills a round and never seemed to miss a shot.
    I'm not 100% sure he was playing without assistance though, I've never seen anyone dominate like that before.

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    33 Kills. 18 Assists. 4-5 flag grabs. 2 genny kills. 33,000 credits. Game went on for quite a while.

1800 XP. That's with VIP.

They really need to change how XP is awarded. I'm better off just fucking around all game instead of actually contributing to the team.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    33 Kills. 18 Assists. 4-5 flag grabs. 2 genny kills. 33,000 credits. Game went on for quite a while.

They really need to change how XP is awarded. I'm better off just fucking around all game instead of actually contributing to the team.

Man, I'm lucky to earn that much in a *night*, let alone a single match. Apparently being a moving target doesn't net you a lotta XP. :P

I hear what you're saying though - some of the unlock prices are so batshit high that even an avid and good player will take months to earn it all in XP.
    I mean, I get it - they want you to use gold to unlock some things - but if that's the case why bother offering the XP option at all, if the stakes are so high as to be basically unattainable...

I also have a problem with the high gold cost of some of the unlocks, too, but that's another matter... along with the cheap dirty carnival trick of awarding gold at certain multiples and pricing unlocks at different multiples, so as to guarantee that you've always got unspendable gold left over. That's just an asshole tax, straight up, and I don't care how many other companies are doing it, it's still underhanded and a ripoff.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it was determined that you got a fixed amount of xp/credits per unit time played, +25% for winning, and then up to +25% for scoreboard position.

Garthor on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    I think it was determined that you got a fixed amount of xp/credits per unit time played, +25% for winning, and then up to +25% for scoreboard position.

http://www.tribesascendwiki.com/XP

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Dunno why winning is always worth a bonus in these games. Might as well just make it 50% scoreboard position and let the daily bonus do the rest. Only thing it does is punish the losing team.

Not sure how I feel about the Bounty Hunter perk in that instance, but I'm sure they could track unmodified credits.

Gives people an incentive to win matches instead of just arsing around farming points or just drawing the game out, I guess.

edited May 2012
    Because the scoreboard is a miserable predictor of a player's contribution, whereas wins/losses are, in the long term, very accurate.

Garthor on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Just play the game to win and be satisfied with your own performance. If the incentive for score were stronger than it already is, people would just poopsock it to farm points and ditch their team even more than they already do.

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've really grown fond of flying all over the map as Pathfinder. So...my K/D ratio is HORRIBLE. On the other hand, I average 2-3 flag caps per game, and at least a half-dozen returns. I think I'm OK with this.

AnakinOU on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    What class should I be focusing on as a "capper supporter" class? I realize that most flag-runners are self-sufficient, but it never hurts to have someone heckling the chasers. I haven't got the nerves or the reflexes to handle carrying the flag, but I think I could get used to following the capper and running interference. (At the very least, it's something to keep from derping around not knowing what exactly I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to be, or sitting it base shooting heal-beams at everything.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    I love getting 4 flag caps and my team still loses. Wait, no, that sucked.

It's better than being on a team where the enemies get about 4 caps in 5 minutes, and your team is just sitting there being useless. It's when things get close that the game gets interesting. And that's when being a doombringer is ultra fun.

Lalabox on
    Kupi wrote: »
    What class should I be focusing on as a "capper supporter" class? I realize that most flag-runners are self-sufficient, but it never hurts to have someone heckling the chasers. I haven't got the nerves or the reflexes to handle carrying the flag, but I think I could get used to following the capper and running interference. (At the very least, it's something to keep from derping around not knowing what exactly I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to be, or sitting it base shooting heal-beams at everything.)

Basically, pathfinder. Spinfusor everyone.

Sentinel would be your other choice.

Also shrike and grav cycle can do some good stuff in supporting cappers.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Ok so my phone ok so my phone is being silly. Can I please get an invite into the group? Steam id is the same name.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    So whats the deal with vehicles not giving exp? I spent a couple rounds shriking and was near the top of the team but got like 150 exp when my friends got like 1k

Being in a vehicle shouldn't affect your exp gain rate to my knowledge.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    powersurge wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of hate for them but I find the brute just awesome during Cap and Hold games. Jump on a cap point and drop a fractal grenade and it will tend to keep people trying to recap off of it. I also seem to get more blue plates with the Brute. I wonder if the hit box is larger?

I've been wondering this too because I get a lot more blue plates with the Brute than with any other class. Could just be that I'm noticing it more, or being more careful thanks to the reload speed.. not sure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

Basically, pathfinder. Spinfusor everyone.

How about Juggernaut playing the midfield?

Everyone should play a Juggernaut in the midfield sometime.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Jeix wrote: »
    So whats the deal with vehicles not giving exp? I spent a couple rounds shriking and was near the top of the team but got like 150 exp when my friends got like 1k

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular

In some games I singlehandedly keep out gen up, while upgrading and repairing the gen, sensors and every single turret. Pretty keeping my teams deployables powered on my own. For all of this, I earn maybe 1K on a good day.

• SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Because the scoreboard is a miserable predictor of a player's contribution, whereas wins/losses are, in the long term, very accurate.

I think high win/loss ratio is an indicator of a team stacker far more than of a valuable contributor. Such xp system punishes the person who tries to even the teams out in a blowout and rewards the rats fleeing the sinking ship at any opportunity.

edited May 2012
    Well, teamstacking is a separate issue that really needs to be dealt with. Doesn't change the fact that pretty much any other metric is ass compared to just looking at the wins. It's like trying to determine if a dish tastes good by watching the chefs prepare it: maybe you can get an idea, but just going to the end result is far better.

Garthor on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dram wrote: »
    In some games I singlehandedly keep out gen up, while upgrading and repairing the gen, sensors and every single turret. Pretty keeping my teams deployables powered on my own. For all of this, I earn maybe 1K on a good day.
    Yeah, unless they keep swarming your gen room with infs to kill a Tech will never be topping any charts. "Oh, you repaired and upgraded everything? I guess that's worth as much as a kill."

Glal on
    Of course, repairing and upgrading your turrets could be literally useless if your team, say, doesn't have a flag defense worth a shit to begin with, thus negating any need for people to stick around outside your base.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »

Not sure why you linked me the XP wiki when it doesn't cover what I am talking about, but I did some searching on the official forums and found some threads like http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=314&t=69997 saying that other people are also getting a lot less XP from the vehicles as well.

• johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Most of the xp is based the time spend on a game. If you perform well you get up to 25% extra xp on top of your base xp gain. And if you win and extra 25% bonus of your base xp gain. The difference between the worst player on the team and the best player is just 25% bonus xp. So it is not a lot.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Patch today! https://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/454

Major Highlights

-A new CTF map has been added, Tartarus.
    -A new Arena map has been added, Hinterlands.
    -Users may now configure up to four pre-established loadouts (or profiles) per class. These can be used to more quickly switch between favored configurations for each class. Loadout slots are purchasable using XP or Gold.
    -Users may now QUICK SWITCH between classes and loadouts while in a match using the “NUMPAD ENTER” key (default). This is an alternate way to change classes/loadouts versus using the Class Select menu ("I" Screen) that does not require you to open the game menu and is much faster.
    -Users will now be presented with a customized “DEAL OF THE DAY.” This is a deal tailored to the individual and presents special pricing on an item that the user does not already own. The timer for the deal of the day resets at the same time as the timer for the First Win of the Day.
    -The gold packages have been changed. The $30 and $50 packages now give significantly more bonus gold than previous, but do not include an XP booster. Users continue to earn permanent VIP status (which increases XP gain by 50% after their first real-money purchase).
    -IMPORTANT USABILITY NOTE: With this release, you always close the console window using the ESCAPE key. You can no longer close the console window using the same key that launches the console (default “tilde”). This is necessary to solve issues when people rebind that key, as well as on some countries’ keyboard layouts.

Weapon/Balance Items

-Shrike price reduced on public servers to 4000.
    -Beowulf price reduced on public servers to 2500.
    -Gravcycle price reduced on public servers to 500.
    -Reduced the amount of knockback the flag receives from explosions in air (reducing punting).
    -New Accolades have been added:
    ---Investor: Earned every 2 minutes that a Base Radar or Generator that you upgraded remains online.
    ---Turret Support: Earned if a Base Turret you upgraded gets a kill.
    ---Hot Air: Earned for getting a mid-air kill with the Plasma Gun. (Replaces Air-Mail).
    -An exit speed cap of 200kph has been added to the Shrike.
    -Fixed an issue in which the Pathfinder’s Thrust Pack could sometimes not correctly thrust the player.
    -Fixed an issue in which the Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle was not always firing three rounds.

Custom Server Notes

-XP is now rewarded on password protected servers so long as at least 8 people participate in a match.
    -Server owners can now choose between multiple spawn types. This includes Normal spawning, Naked Pathfinder, and Core spawning (Pathfinder, Soldier, and Juggernaut with unlocks).
    -Fixed a bug in which configuration options would not be saved properly in some cases. This audio/video settings, custom servers, etc.
    -Fixed a bug in which servers would go offline and require a manual restart after the overall game servers were restarted.
    -Variety of other minor cleanups and fixes.

Additional Items

-Fixed an issue where the jet-only option for a keybind was jump jetting instead.
    -Fixed an issue where the whiteout grenade could cause the permanent loss of IFF’s in certain situations.
    -Deaths from hitting a player equipped with the Super Heavy perk will now play a splat sound.
    -Fixed an issue where projectile explosion sounds and effects wouldn’t play in certain situations in close-quarter combat.
    -Fixed an issue where inventory and vehicle stations weren’t properly updated when the generator went online or offline.
    -Fixed an issue where meleeing while zoomed could cause the zoomed-in reticule to still be active after you released the zoom button.
    -Fixed an issue where throwing a grenade while spawning a vehicle could leave the player without weapons.
    -Fixed an issue where the firing sound would not properly stop on constant-fire weapons after a reload.
    -Fixed an issue where de-cloaking with a call-in active would display the wrong active call-in information.
    -Fixed an issue where reloading a weapon while zoomed would not properly resume zooming when the reload had finished.
    -Vehicle stations have been added to Outskirts Capture and Hold.
    -Fixed an issue where vehicle station markers were not displaying in Capture and Hold.
    -Fixed an issue where player input wasn’t being properly reset at the end of a round in Arena.
    -Fixed a client crash when placing deployables (i.e. Doombringer’s Force Field, Technician’s Light Turret, etc) in certain areas when roaming.
    -Fixed an issue where players weren’t able to place a deployable on certain areas of the flag stand of Katabatic.
    -Fixed various UI presentation bugs.
    -Performance optimizations done on Arx Novena aqueducts.
    -Fixed an issue with the voting keybinds, they have now been restored to their previous values (F5 for no, F6 for yes).

Some awesome stuff there. 8-)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Sales are good. Too much of their stuff is far too expensive. Although they also reduced the price of gold, so that's even better. Those turret accolades are a great addition, and you get XP on private servers! Good job HiRez. You made a good patch.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    -New Accolades have been added:
    ---Investor: Earned every 2 minutes that a Base Radar or Generator that you upgraded remains online.
    ---Turret Support: Earned if a Base Turret you upgraded gets a kill.
    Heck yes.

Glal on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Apart from the new map of course, I'm most excited about the shrike-cap and flag punt nerfs, but that is my bias as a chaser. The loadouts also sound nice.
    Deaths from hitting a player equipped with the Super Heavy perk will now play a splat sound.

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wi1BSBNxAg

Kind of disappointed that there are still no signs of them building a flag stand that isn't completely wide open.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Well that's probably not gonna happen sadly Enig.

• WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Anyhting that hinders high speed flag grabs is not OK in my book.