As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2012 now with map

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    tsrblke wrote: »
    The list needs more Seafood (non-sushi) restruants, frankly (I found 3 on it). The wife and I love seafood and would solely eat that if there were a list of resturants accordingly ;).

Provide them and I might add them.

In non-chain land, there is The Brooklyn Steak, Seafood and Oysters at 1212 2nd Ave. They're phenomenal.

Can you provide more detail? I tend skip adding things without at least a cost value those are too hard for me to guess. Yes I can go look for an online menu but if you know about it save me the hassle :D The more details provided the more likely I will add things. Thanks and keep the suggestions and corrections coming!

They're in the $$-$$$$ range. Website.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    The list needs more Seafood (non-sushi) restruants, frankly (I found 3 on it). The wife and I love seafood and would solely eat that if there were a list of resturants accordingly ;).

Provide them and I might add them.

Uhhhm, that was more of a call out to other forumers. If I had them, I wouldn't need them on the list!

With regards to my wine bar suggestion earlier I realize I left 0 information, it's afew block from teh convention center and I'd rate it about $$-$$$ depending on your drinking habits (The wife and I each got a wine flight and an entree (I don't remember if we did an appetizer) and we got a nice half glass of Spanish Dessert Wine and the total bill was ~$100, but we opted for fairly expensive wine flights and an old dessert wine from the 1980s, so skipping all that and you could likely eat for less than $30/person.

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Any possibility of getting awesome watering holes added to the list? I hear Vessel is reopening this month and that's right by the convention center.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    This list is just amazing. Which places do you guys recommend for fast lunches yet somewhat healthy (e.g. not fast food, deep fried food, etc)?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    We could pull up the 2010 thread for reference as I contributed a goldmine to that. Not a lot has changed for some that.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Just to throw in my personal lunchtime fave downtown: the Wild Ginger has a soup they only serve at lunches, called 'Seven Element Soup'. It's an indonesian yellow coconut curry base with chicken, scallions, coconut cream, onions, and all manner of deliciousness. Their Laksa is pretty damn good too. It's a sit-down restaurant about 3 blocks from the WSCC so if you investigate it for lunch, plan on an hour. But IMHO the best lunch entree downtown.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Just an idea: have you ever thought of having a pax foodie twitter hashtag, so that people who might want to find company for a foodie-style lunch or dinner can find each other?

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just an idea: have you ever thought of having a pax foodie twitter hashtag, so that people who might want to find company for a foodie-style lunch or dinner can find each other?

I have not. It's not a bad idea but I am somewhat twitter illiterate (gasp!). I use it but barely so not even sure what to do for this.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

I have not. It's not a bad idea but I am somewhat twitter illiterate (gasp!). I use it but barely so not even sure what to do for this.

Come up with something fairly distinct ("FoodiePAX" for example) stick a # in front of it (#FoodiePAX) and start spreading the word about it. Twitter automatically turns that into a link for the search term (in this case #foodiePAX) and you can build autosearches and whatnot. Distinction is key though. If you choose something to generic (great example is #PPD for Post PAX depression or #PAX itself interestingly enough) you'll catch errant tweats which may crowd your tag (Post-Partum Depression and "Peace" respectively in my examples, granted during pax, we crowd out the Peace-niks ;).)

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sorry if this has been asked, but that I haven't read the entire thread.

Anyone know of a good pizza, Mexican, Chinese that preferably do takeout place by the convention center or the Westin. within walking distance of either. It doesn't have to be cheap, I'm willing and happy to pay a little for good food instead of saving 2 bucks and getting something like cardboard.

Pizza and Mexican food are pretty self explanatory, just looking for something that's good because I enjoy multiple kinds of pizza and Mexican food. but for the Chinese I'm really looking for a good fried rice and sweet and sour chicken. I LOVE those

sanovah on
  • irikahirikah Registered User regular
    lizpirate wrote: »
    Any possibility of getting awesome watering holes added to the list? I hear Vessel is reopening this month and that's right by the convention center.

Vessel is amazing, Bathtub Gin is also pretty incredible. I'd also highly recommend the two in my post on the previous page. Sun Liquor focuses on locally sourcing their ingredients and all of their infusions are made in house (they just opened a distillery down the street which has produced some pretty great product), and KHS is a speakeasy with a quintessential craft/artisanal cocktail focus. They're all within walking distance from the convention center, but KHS/Sun Liquor require a trek up the hill.

.life.laugh.love.
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Wow.... I might just make a separate budget for the places I want to eat at. MMMMmmmm....

edited May 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked, but that I haven't read the entire thread.

Anyone know of a good pizza, Mexican, Chinese that preferably do takeout place by the convention center or the Westin. within walking distance of either. It doesn't have to be cheap, I'm willing and happy to pay a little for good food instead of saving 2 bucks and getting something like cardboard.

Pizza and Mexican food are pretty self explanatory, just looking for something that's good because I enjoy multiple kinds of pizza and Mexican food. but for the Chinese I'm really looking for a good fried rice and sweet and sour chicken. I LOVE those

I can't speak to Mexican, as most of it sucks downtown (the only good places are in like, White Center and Ballard). Pizza, there's Serious Pie which is on 4th and Virgina, about 1 and a half blocks from the Westin, but they're not traditional Pizza so to speak, but it's probably the best 'Pizza' in Seattle; if the duck egg, spicy coppa, and frisee pizza is still on the menu in August - GET IT! There's a Tutta Bella about a 15 minute walk from the Westin (just down Westlake, above the Whole Foods) and they do take out - can also order online (http://tuttabella.com/menu/).

As for Chinese, you really need to go to the ID. Either Sichuanese Cuisine on 12th and Jackson (get the fried chicken, the garlic eggplant and the hot beef chow mein) or Jade Garden (on 7th one block south of Jackson) for the best Dim Sum in town, but be prepared for at least a 45 minute wait for a table on the weekends. I've heard excellent things about Kau Kau BBQ (on King, between Maynard and 7th), but haven't been there myself.
    This list is just amazing. Which places do you guys recommend for fast lunches yet somewhat healthy (e.g. not fast food, deep fried food, etc)?

Piroshky Piroshky, Three Girls Bakery or Michou Deli all in the market. It'll probably be a 30 minute round trip excursion.

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Built Burger for fan-dang-tastic burgers, but be warned they are only opened M-F 11-3. Still worth it.

$-$$ (about $10 for a burger)

It is a bit of a walk from the convention center - over around Pioneer Square - but you can take (any) bus down 3rd for free (this year is the last year for free bus zone downtown if the Seattle's current plans go through)

SquirrelOnFire on
  • poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »
    There's this place called Din Tai Fung which has the most amazing soup dumplings ever! They're way out of the way, but if you're a foodie they are not to be missed, just the thought makes me drool!

This. If you have a way to get across the 520 bridge to Bellevue and haven't experienced taiwanese dumplings, it will make you a believer. Of note, even the vegetarian options are insanely good. WA location link for reference. Expect between 15-25 per person depending on how full you want to stuff yourself / how many drinks you order.

The wait time is usually 1-2 hours too, not really worth it IMO. I had it in Shanghai and it's not that amazing.

• bohemianbohemian Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I will absolutely not miss The Crab Pot when I go to Seattle...although I do live in Vancouver so I really have no excuse not to go.

• KatieK22KatieK22 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User new member
    Mod Pizza: Personal size pizzas
    $
    1302 Sixth Avenue
    .2 mi re Google (but take the pedestrian tunnel through Union Square to the Hilton to save some time via the overland route)
    206-332-0200
    Mon-Sat 10:30am – 7pm

Mama's Mexican Kitchen: (Mexican)
    $$
    2234 2nd Avenue (Belltown)
    .9 mi
    206.728-6262
    "OPEN 7 DAYS - EVERY LUNCH AND DINNER"

Seattle has a bounty of food trucks in addition to Maximus Minimus (@somepigseattle), and they're often best tracked via Twitter. So, maybe a Twitter column or addition to the notes?

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Six Arms (McMenamins)
    $-$$
    300 E. Pike St. (Go up towards Capitol Hill from WSCC)
    Seattle WA 98122
    (206) 223-1698
    Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.–2 a.m.
    Sunday, 12 noon–12 midnight
    I recommend Cajun tots and Rubinator (Terminator Stout and Ruby Ale mixed)
    .4mi

Piecora's Pizza
    $$
    1401 East Madison Street (Go up Pike towards Capitol Hill, on 14th)
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 322-9411
    Friday 11:30AM-Midnight
    Saturday 12:00PM-Midnight
    Sunday 12:00PM to 10PM
    Good group place
    .9mi

• zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    Another question for the Seattle peeps. Has anyone been in the restaurant in the Space Needle? I figure it's not going to be cheap, but I do wanna take my fiancee to someplace affordable but nice when PAX has wound down as kind of a thank you for putting up with me. Plus I figure the view is nice. I'm not totally local, but not totally out of town either (Everett WA), but I'm still a novice when it comes to Seattle landmarks.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Another question for the Seattle peeps. Has anyone been in the restaurant in the Space Needle? I figure it's not going to be cheap, but I do wanna take my fiancee to someplace affordable but nice when PAX has wound down as kind of a thank you for putting up with me. Plus I figure the view is nice. I'm not totally local, but not totally out of town either (Everett WA), but I'm still a novice when it comes to Seattle landmarks.

I was there a few years ago--mediocre but not terrible food, definitely overpriced but the view is nice. If she's into food I'd go elsewhere, but if she wants the experience, it's kind of fun.

edited May 2012
    lizpirate wrote: »

I was there a few years ago--mediocre but not terrible food, definitely overpriced but the view is nice. If she's into food I'd go elsewhere, but if she wants the experience, it's kind of fun.

The food's definitely improved over the past couple years, but this is pretty accurate. It's middle of the road, touristy food.

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Will just about every decent place within walking distance be swamped?

I'd love to eat good food, but I'd be rather iffy on spending an hour to sit down and eat it.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]

I'd love to eat good food, but I'd be rather iffy on spending an hour to sit down and eat it.

Seattle's got pretty good Opentable adoption downtown. So the wife and I just made reservations for most places we went in the morning and had no problems for dinner.
    Obviously this meant we had to be on our game to either cancel said researvation (which we didn't do) or leave what we were doing to go make it (which wasn't a problem since we put food high on our priority list.)

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular

All depends on the time of the day and what kind of place it is you are looking for to eat. Jimmy Johns during lunch on Saturday is swamped, but Red Barn would be no more busy than it is usually. Bars are usually fine except when someone decides to have a party there.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Keep the updates coming. I will be doing a bulk update to the list in awhile. I don't get crazy updating right away until closer to PAX.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned Lunchbox Laboratory for burgers- it's definitely a good place for burgers, albeit a bit more pricey than Red Mill and Blue Moon, but they just advertised a deal on their FB page for a $20 gift certificate for $10. Just print it out and bring it in and it works like a gift certificate.

I'll keep posting useful deals as I see them.

Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Lunchbox Laboratory for burgers- it's definitely a good place for burgers, albeit a bit more pricey than Red Mill and Blue Moon, but they just advertised a deal on their FB page for a $20 gift certificate for $10. Just print it out and bring it in and it works like a gift certificate.

FWIW, those expire sometime in July it appears, so not entirely useful for PAX (but a good idea to pay attention go to going forward.)

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Last year, someone recommended a to-die-for sushi place in West Seattle. We took the bus out there but they are (were) only open for dining, not for lunch as we had planned. I have no recollection of the name or address, other than it was a 15-minute bus ride away, and that the bus went over a pretty major bridge.

Also, my addition to "the list":

Alibi Room
    $$
    85 Pike St, Ste 410 (between Western Ave & Post Aly - directly across from the "gum wall")
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 623-3180
    Mon-Thu 3 pm - 2 am
    Fri-Sun 12 pm - 2 am
    local dive bar with really good pizza and great drinks

26904.png
  • BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't think I saw anyone recommend it or if it will be open, but I HIGHLY recommend The Juicy Cafe.
    If you are looking for a Vegan, Vegetarian, GF place, this is the nearest you will get.

Price: $-$$
    Distance from PAX: PAX, 2nd Floor.
    Food: 10/10
    Variety: 7/10
    Wait: 1-10/10
    Easy of Gaming While Eating: 1-10/10

Price $-$$. There isn't a meal or drink over $8, but if you got a large drink and the most expensive meal, it would be around $17.

Food: 10/10. Nothing deep fried, or grossly processed. The also have the clear easy to read legend to denote Vegan, Vegetarian, GF etc.

Wait: 1-10, It depends. I have had wait times during ECCC that it was 0, and once that it was around 20/10 because Wil Wheaton recommended it during his panel!

Easy of eating while gaming 1-8: If you are getting a hearty drink, 1. I would classify a drink at 1 for eating. A thai peanut quinoa bowl may be around 8 but all the food is in a cute to go box and there is a massive seating area in front of it.

http://www.thejuicycafe.com/imgs/TheJuicyCafe_Menu.pdf

BombClancy on
    what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    My girlfriend has Celiacs, so anyone know of places that are good for Gluten-free items?

edited May 2012
    BombClancy wrote: »
    {SNIP}
    Food: 10/10. Nothing deep fried, or grossly processed.{SNIP}

I'm sorry, but as my old college professor used to say "That place get's points off for not having a deep fryer." ;).

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm being snarky. I think we actually grabbed something here last year it was pretty good.

tsrblke on
  • NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    Nazoshadow wrote: »

FWIW, those expire sometime in July it appears, so not entirely useful for PAX (but a good idea to pay attention go to going forward.)
    Dangit, sorry about that.

I did find another Lunchbox Laboratory deal though... this one expires August 31st- it would only really be useful on the first day of PAX, an it works at the Seattle location.

(That one is one of the better Seattle food deal sites, since they have better selections.)

• BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    BombClancy wrote: »
    {SNIP}
    Edit: Just to be clear, I'm being snarky. I think we actually grabbed something here last year it was pretty good.

They aren't typically open on Sundays, but were opened up for ECCC this year. Last year they had a full menu, this year they cut it in half. We still had a ton to chose from.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    My girlfriend has Celiacs, so anyone know of places that are good for Gluten-free items?

I know of a couple of bakeries, not 'restaurants' persay...

Wheatless in Seattle
    Flying Apron

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular

I know of a couple of bakeries, not 'restaurants' persay...

Wheatless in Seattle
    Flying Apron

Thanks for the heads up on those places as well! BombClancy's recommendation for The Juicy Cafe will definitely be our spot at the Convention Center, food sounds awesome to me as well!

Seattle's pretty gluten-intolerant/Celiac friendly, and the vast majority of restaurants in the area are generally pretty good about offering a selection of gluten free options. I'd recommend calling ahead if you want to check something out or checking out the menu online.

.life.laugh.love.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I look through the list but I didn't see any hot pot style restaurants. We ate at one for the first time at PAX East and I it was beyond words amazing. Any chance there is one near the WSCC?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    Do they have any places that serve these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

• JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Just to throw in my personal lunchtime fave downtown: the Wild Ginger has a soup they only serve at lunches, called 'Seven Element Soup'. It's an indonesian yellow coconut curry base with chicken, scallions, coconut cream, onions, and all manner of deliciousness. Their Laksa is pretty damn good too. It's a sit-down restaurant about 3 blocks from the WSCC so if you investigate it for lunch, plan on an hour. But IMHO the best lunch entree downtown.

I love Wild Ginger! They have some darn tasty dim sum on the weekends :)

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »
    Do they have any places that serve these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

Many. Many, many, many. I'm downtown right now, and can think of at least 3 places that sell gyros, falafel, or both within 2 blocks of me. Maybe more.

This discussion has been closed.