As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/5908350/the-best-way-to-get-new-games-by-playing-other-games

For those of you that use Raptr have you tried out this new program? What do you think about it? Any cool rewards so far?

Also would you allow it to post to your Facebook wall? That's a bit of a sticking point for a lot of people, but if it's rare and innocuous I could live with it.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Raptr's stuff right now is pretty rinky dink. Free to Play bonus items mainly, the ones advertised in that link haven't really started yet besides the coupons on accessories.

I don't think you have to let it post on your FB. I don't even have mine linked yet and I don't appear to be losing out on anything.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    What are the chances they won't be remaking the shit out of the Call of Duty games in the next generation?

Modern Warfare HD* collection

*actually HD this time, not the fake HD it ran on the PS3/360.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Never heard of this Raptr before, but from a quick look it's basically an agregator of all publically available achievement data from the various systems, acting as a front for a gaming referral/advertising site. Right?

Sounds less than compelling.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Wii Vitality Sensor lives?
    Microsoft is preparing to update its Xbox 360 dashboard software to include a cross-application exercise tracking system, according to our sources. Kinect Play Fit will allow Xbox gamers to track their exercise across most Kinect games, providing tracking metrics in the cloud. The software maker is also planning to release a hardware accessory, codenamed Joule, to accompany the Kinect Play Fit service.

The Joule heart-rate monitor will let Kinect owners track their heart rate wirelessly and ensure any exercise is within a target goal for weight loss, strength, or cross-fitness workouts. Although EA currently ships its own heart rate monitor with EA Sports Active 2 for the Xbox 360, Microsoft's Joule monitor will be compatible with most Kinect games — but you won't need it to make use of the new exercise tracking feature of Kinect Fit Play. We don't have a solid release date for the Kinect Play Fit system, but sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have indicated to us that a future dashboard update will introduce the system. We expect the company to detail some of its Kinect plans at E3 next month, alongside more Xbox Live content deals and additional software enhancements for the Xbox 360.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/3006735/microsoft-kinect-play-fit-joule-heart-rate-monitor-accessory

Nintendo does it: Dirty jerks, selling out to the casualz!

Microsoft does it: That is awesome! It's so good to see MS cater to multiple fan bases!

8->

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Well if Microsoft actually use it for something, rather than just E3 conference-filler..

forumsig.png
    darleysam wrote: »
    Well if Microsoft actually use it for something, rather than just E3 conference-filler..

Nintendo was never given the chance to use it for something before getting absolutely blasted for it. :?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Nintendo was never given the chance to use it for something before getting absolutely blasted for it. :?

And they sure proved that criticism wrong!

forumsig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Snippet from Sony's E3 conference:

"Today we're excited to announce a brand new, completely unique peripheral for our lollipop Move system! Feast your eyes upon the Move Heart Looker Atter... Sensor!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited May 2012

I'm sure the backlash had something to do with them not using it. My point was that Nintendo gets blasted for doing things that other companies get praised for, it's just the natural order of things. With your point, people at that E3 should have said something very similar to what you said about MS, but that wasn't how it worked. Before there was any chance for Nintendo to do something with it, they were crucified for that reveal.

Not that I care, I would prefer Nintendo make more of their games than release a peripheral that I wouldn't ever buy.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2012
    Meh, it don't matter.

In other, more positive news, It's time for KH to return to consoles!
    Since its PlayStation 2 debut back in 2002 the Kingdom Hearts series has spanned six different platforms.

Despite its console origins over the past seven years the franchise has found a home mostly on handhelds since the PS2 release of the second installment back in 2005.

With the most recent title, Kingdom Hearts Drop Dream Distance for the 3DS, completed and shipping this Summer in the West, series creator Tetsuya Nomura sounds ready to bring the action rpg back to its console roots.

“We have been invited to make games on different new platforms, and every time we have created titles making sure that they are highly compatible with the platform,” Nomura recently told Game Informer when asked about the PlayStation Vita.

“The PS Vita is definitely a powerful device that is very interesting, but because of it’s high power, there isn’t much of a difference with a console.”

“So even if we were to make a game, we would have to be very careful about how to create it for that device. I also feel that it’s about time that Kingdom Hearts should go back to being on a console.”

Earlier in the interview when the question of a possible HD collection of the Kingdom Hearts series was raised Nomura stated that he does have an “interest” in HD versions, and is “currently researching them”.

“If it is possible, I would like to do something about the series being spread over so many different consoles, too. I am thinking a lot about the future,“ he continued to say.

While the esteemed director and character designer remained quiet on what fans can expect from Kingdom Hearts 3, he did note that those who play Kingdom Hearts 3D to the very end may be able to find a hint regarding the next installment of the series.

Other than console and handhelds Nomura mentioned that he’s also looking into IOS as one of the platform options for an undisclosed project he’s currently working on.

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/05/08/time-for-kingdom-hearts-to-return-to-a-console-says-tetsuya-nomura/

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    UK charts
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-charts-sniper-elite-v2-guns-down-prototype-2/095667
    505 Games is back at the top this week with Sniper Elite V2 debuting at No.1 on the UKIE GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40 this week.

The game, developed by UK super-studio Rebellion, is the publisher’s first No.1 since is hugely successful Zumba Fitness dominated the listings last year.

Last week’s chart-topper, Activision’s Prototype 2, slips one place in its second week.

The only other new entry is Warner Bros fighter Mortal Kombat, the Vita release of which propels it back into the Top 40 in 33rd. It also tops the Vita charts.

Here’s the UK Top 20 in full for the week ending May 5th:

1. Sniper Elite V2 (505 Games)
    2. Prototype 2 (Activision)
    3. FIFA 12 (EA)
    4. FIFA Street (EA)
    5. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
    6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (EA)
    7. Kinect Star Wars (Microsoft)
    8. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
    9. Battlefield 3 (EA)
    10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
    11. Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros)
    12. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
    13. Saints Row: The Third (THQ)
    14. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (Activision)
    15. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
    16. The Witcher 2: Assassin’s Enhanced Edition (Namco Bandai)
    17. SSX (EA)
    18. Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo (Mind Candy)
    19. Gran Turismo 5 (Sony)
    20. UFC Undisputed 3 (THQ)
    Yeah...

Couscous on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yessss, go Sniper Elite! :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.

I'm sure the backlash had something to do with them not using it. My point was that Nintendo gets blasted for doing things that other companies get praised for, it's just the natural order of things. With your point, people at that E3 should have said something very similar to what you said about MS, but that wasn't how it worked. Before there was any chance for Nintendo to do something with it, they were crucified for that reveal.

Not that I care, I would prefer Nintendo make more of their games than release a peripheral that I wouldn't ever buy.

Where are people saying it's awesome? And where are the previous E3 conferences where Nintendo were soundly bashed while everyone was all up on MS for being the best? Because that's just not how the previous few E3s have played out. Since MS announced Kinect, the majority of their conferences have been generally branded anything between painfully dull and finger-gnawingly awkward for their emphasis on things that the standard forum-goer here is interested in. And Nintendo have taken some stick when they do the same stuff. And so do Sony. Everyone gets it when they drop the ball, regardless of how you choose to see it yourself.

forumsig.png

Where are people saying it's awesome? And where are the previous E3 conferences where Nintendo were soundly bashed while everyone was all up on MS for being the best? Because that's just not how the previous few E3s have played out. Since MS announced Kinect, the majority of their conferences have been generally branded anything between painfully dull and finger-gnawingly awkward for their emphasis on things that the standard forum-goer here is interested in. And Nintendo have taken some stick when they do the same stuff. And so do Sony. Everyone gets it when they drop the ball, regardless of how you choose to see it yourself.

Sorry, I was just making a silly comment that you took more seriously than I meant it to be. On to our regularly scheduled program. :rotate:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I know this is old news, but I'm going to miss Molyneux. He was genuinely enthusiastic about innovation, even if he didn't always succeed. Plus, the Fable games always had a lot of heart to them, even if they weren't super smooth or polished.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    For the record, Nintendo has said they haven't released the Vitality Sensor because they can't get it to work for everyone. I imagine they'd rather not release the product than spend a lot of money and have to deal with complaints that it's not working.

I actually thought it was a cool idea - albeit one with only limited applications. The concept of taking something like Eternal Darkness's freak-out stuff and adjusting that content based on the person's actual level of anxiety it pretty neat. But I think ultimately it only really works well for the horror/scare type of genres (and maybe fitness stuff but who gives a shit about that?).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I can see the vitality sensor being worked into games like Fallout or CoD. Keep heart rate below X during sneak missions or lock picking. Or keep heart rate above X to counter act the venom/poison/nanos. Especially being teamed with Kinect.

There are cool uses for it, but again the game devs would have to think about how to make it fun/interesting/new.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Was/is that thing wireless? I can't remember.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    As far as I can recall, it plugged into the wiimote.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    For the record, Nintendo has said they haven't released the Vitality Sensor because they can't get it to work for everyone. I imagine they'd rather not release the product than spend a lot of money and have to deal with complaints that it's not working.

And then they go and release the 3DS to an uproar about how various people can't see the effect and it actually damages children's eyes. :rotate:
    In other, more positive news, It's time for KH to return to consoles!
    “We have been invited to make games on different new platforms, and every time we have created titles making sure that they are highly compatible with the platform,” Nomura recently told Game Informer when asked about the PlayStation Vita.

“The PS Vita is definitely a powerful device that is very interesting, but because of it’s high power, there isn’t much of a difference with a console.”

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/05/08/time-for-kingdom-hearts-to-return-to-a-console-says-tetsuya-nomura/

Oh god, here it is again: why make a PSP/Vita game when you may as well make a console game that looks even better and reaches a wider audience.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I know this is old news, but I'm going to miss Molyneux. He was genuinely enthusiastic about innovation, even if he didn't always succeed. Plus, the Fable games always had a lot of heart to them, even if they weren't super smooth or polished.

He's not left the games industry, and if anything, what happens next will likely be More Molyneux Than Molyneux. As in, he left Lionhead because he felt too safe and protected there, and he's gone to a new company to take some big risks.

forumsig.png

And then they go and release the 3DS to an uproar about how various people can't see the effect and it actually damages children's eyes. :rotate:

3DS is perfectly playable if you can't use the 3D effect (and even some people that can see it turn it off). The vitality sensor would be a big chunk of useless ($30?) plastic if it didn't work.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

He's not left the games industry, and if anything, what happens next will likely be More Molyneux Than Molyneux. As in, he left Lionhead because he felt too safe and protected there, and he's gone to a new company to take some big risks.

Well, I'll eargerly await that, but Fable without Molyneux is going to be really weird.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    So no UE4 on the WiiU? Or...? Because that comment about UE4 being intended for consoles 'that haven't been announced yet' sounds like a setup for a repeat scenario of the Wii vs the 360/PS3. Nintendo better hope they can catch lightning in a bottle again if that's true.

Well, I'll eargerly await that, but Fable without Molyneux is going to be really weird.

Wierd as in good...right? 8->

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    So no UE4 on the WiiU? Or...? Because that comment about UE4 being intended for consoles 'that haven't been announced yet' sounds like a setup for a repeat scenario of the Wii vs the 360/PS3. Nintendo better hope they can catch lightning in a bottle again if that's true.

Hasn't Epic always been extremely anti-Nintendo?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

I don't see what fanboy wars have to do with technology. That hardware can't support their engine has nothing to do with a company's supposed stance towards another. Epic didn't bring UE3 to the Wii because of it's lack of programmable shader support. It's assumed that his statements on UE4 could translate into some similar, yet currently unforeseen hardware incompatibility.

I don't see what fanboy wars have to do with technology. That hardware can't support their engine has nothing to do with a company's supposed stance towards another. Epic didn't bring UE3 to the Wii because of it's lack of programmable shader support. It's assumed that his statements on UE4 could translate into some similar, yet currently unforeseen hardware incompatibility.

I still find it hard to believe they are able to port their engine to the god damn iPhone and not Wii/anything-else-Nintendo

edited May 2012

I still find it hard to believe they are able to port their engine to the god damn iPhone and not Wii/anything-else-Nintendo

Why? Since the Iphone 3, it's had programmable shader support.

The Wii's GPU is based on 11 year old technology by now. You can't seriously be surprised that it lacks hardware features required to run the engine, while hardware from 4 years ago does not.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited May 2012
    Meh, I'm sure with some adjustments it could work fine. But then, Epic really don't care to work with it, and that's their thing.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2012
    Sort of like when epic couldn't get the UE3 to work on the Wii but they could the iphone? Sounds fishy. :P

...the iphone has hardware support for programmable shaders.

This is like when people were saying that it was "fishy" that the oXbox could output an HD image but the Wii couldn't, and didn't understand the underlying technological reasons behind it. UE3 requires programmable shader support. No amount of optimization or technical wizardry was going to get the engine running on hardware that physically isn't there.
    Meh, I'm sure with some adjustments it could work fine. But then, Epic really don't care to work with it, and that's their thing.

how are you sure? What do you base this on?

TheSonicRetard on
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    UE4 is probably heavily geared towards GPGPU functions, which would make it match up with some rumours about the other next gen consoles.

Now, seeing as the WU won't have a separate GPU to take advantage of that, it's probably safe to say some of those particular functions won't come into play on the console.

However, most graphics engines are designed with compatibility and scalability in mind, it might show up in some form or another anyway.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.

How are you sure that there couldn't be adjustments to make it work on the Wii? What do you base that on?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

How are you sure that there couldn't be adjustments to make it work on the Wii? What do you base that on?

The Wii doesn't have the physical hardware required. It's like asking a legless man to walk.

reVerse on

Understanding of the dynamic between hardware and software, for one. Also, you know, that Epic said as much, and that UE3 hasn't appeared on any hardware that lacks programmable shader support.

In other words, because it doesn't.

Why are programmable shaders THAT important? They could certainly make a version of the engine that doesn't use them.

reVerse wrote: »

The Wii doesn't have the physical hardware required.

Not as is, but the engine itself could be tweaked. I mean, in the end, it doesn't matter, as the Wii is coming to an end and rumors are running pretty rampant that Nintendo tweaked the WiiU to run UE4. We shall see, I guess.

I was just saying that without knowing precicely what can and can't be done with the engine itself, we can't say for certain that it couldn't have been adjusted to work on a particular system.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Why are programmable shaders THAT important? They could certainly make a version of the engine that doesn't use them.

At which point it would be a completely different engine. You're asking why pivotal hardware supported graphic effects are paramount to a graphics engine.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

The Wii doesn't have the physical hardware required.

Not as is, but the engine itself could be tweaked.

And if you squint real hard, that dog is a cat.

This discussion has been closed.