As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

so you think you can DANCE WITH DRAGONS(NO TV, OPEN SPOILERS ON BOOKS 1-4)

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    The only person still alive that knows the entire tale is Howland Reed.

After the way that his children question Bran it seems pretty likely that he told the tale to them before he sent them to Winterfell.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Whoa, I know that books 4 and 5 are concurrent up to a point, but

(DWD)
    I had no idea how early that point ended and the timeline went forward.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    The only person still alive that knows the entire tale is Howland Reed.

After the way that his children question Bran it seems pretty likely that he told the tale to them before he sent them to Winterfell.

that doesn't do the rest of the world a whole lot of good

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Whoa, I know that books 4 and 5 are concurrent up to a point, but

(DWD)
    I had no idea how early that point ended and the timeline went forward.

I think it is something that changed a lot while he was writing those 2 books. Having them be totally concurrent would have made Dance feel repetitive.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It is known.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Just so.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    HODOR

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dammit, I was trying to think of a way to increase the quote tree but I didn't think of that. Shamed, I shall now go into exile, fall in love with an underage princess, and come back on a dragon and kill you all.

Shadowen on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    (I'm going to assume that the spoiler warning one books 1-4 still holds, and put this in the open.)

Man, reading through Storm again, the old crone's prophecies on High Heart make a lot more sense.

The only thing that's not very clear is the maid killing the giant in the castle made of snow.

The maid's Sansa, and the castle is the Vale, but who's the giant? Littlefinger?

[IMG][/img]
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Possibly Robyn Arryn? He plays at "I'm a giant!" and smashes the snow Winterfell in book 3 (?)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Maybe Tyrion; he's been described as a giant in a couple of prophecies thus far, and Sansa would need to be a widow to marry Harry the Heir.

Though that would suck pretty hard were that the case.

[IMG][/img]
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Maybe Tyrion; he's been described as a giant in a couple of prophecies thus far, and Sansa would need to be a widow to marry Harry the Heir.

Though that would suck pretty hard were that the case.

I would just like to remind you what books we're talking about here.

Something sucking pretty hard makes it more likely to happen, if anything.

Book 5 Spoilers.
    There's also the fact that Tyrion's half a world away, openly talking about turning the Second Sons back to Dany's cause.

That seems prohibitive to being murdered in the Vale.

[IMG][/img]
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Nope, Tyrion is going to ride off into the rainbow sunset on a unicorn and live happily ever after.

I really hope he doesn't die I'll be so sad when he dies.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Book 5 Spoilers.
    There's also the fact that Tyrion's half a world away, openly talking about turning the Second Sons back to Dany's cause.

That seems prohibitive to being murdered in the Vale.

Book 5 + 6 theorising.
    It would be pretty easy for him to come back with Dany and some dudes, then end up in the Vale due to Littlefinger doing some further scheming to try and turn the invasion to his advantage.

Just saying, it's not impossible in any way.

Wyman Manderly is my favorite character of DWD so far.

edited May 2012
    littlefinger has everything so thought out

too bad stuff he doesn't know will completely ruin his plan
    I imagine he was going to walk down to king's landing after they are finished fighting everyone and say "I have half of westboros behind me, crown please? oh and I want to fuck sansa once"

but with aegon and rickon around that seems real unlikely to work

Jars on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Littlefinger is gonna be all

THE SEVEN HATE RENLY

sig.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Jesus I just noticed how nice it is that people can't create gigantic quote trees anymore, hallelujah

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Also, I think the best scene of the TV series from DWD will be
    Dany riding Drogon out of Meeren

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm going to LOVE to see Littlefinger starting to coach Sansa on the ways of plotting.

Granted TV Littlefinger sorta gives off a "dude who drives really slowly past playgrounds" kind of vibe, so his Sansa scenes are gonna be even creepier. But still. It'll be awesome.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm going to LOVE to see Littlefinger starting to coach Sansa on the ways of plotting.

Granted TV Littlefinger sorta gives off a "dude who drives really slowly past playgrounds" kind of vibe, so his Sansa scenes are gonna be even creepier. But still. It'll be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-D0KUZli_c

[IMG][/img]
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Also one thing I didn't get at all about the TV series:

Littlefinger threatening Cersei because he just found out about the incest - I'm also certain Littlefinger knew about this way beforehand in the books, since he was a co-conspirator in the plot to have Jon Arryn killed.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait for littlefinger (book 6+ speculation)
    to get shanked by sansa

hopefully with an actual knife but even if she just back stabs him politically and he is ruined forever I would be happy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    then Sansa becomes the Shadow Broker

sansa wins game of thrones

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Littlefinger threatening Cersei because he just found out about the incest - I'm also certain Littlefinger knew about this way beforehand in the books, since he was a co-conspirator in the plot to have Jon Arryn killed.

Not a co-conspirator. The instagator. The Lannisters had nothing to do with it, not for lack of intent and accessory after the poisoning on the part of Cersei (setting Pycelle on him when Arryn's own Maester was purging and might have managed to save him). That was Littlefinger and Lysa's baby, the whole way.
    Jars wrote: »
    sansa wins game of thrones

I suddenly want this to be the end of the books. This would be the best twist ending ever, but one that's had its roots planted since book 2, if not 1. From the most naive to the most cynically cunning, but still with a heart.

Shadowen on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man the costumes in this show are unbelievable. I especially loved the outfits the Iron Islander ship crews were wearing, they looked like armour-plated oilskin suits with hoods and everything.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

It wasn't a threat, it was an insinuation. He was trying for that "I know you know I know you know" thing like he plays with Varys, but forgot that Cersei doesn't roll that way. Plus he doesn't really have to have any special knowledge by that point for that insinuation, Stan's already sent out the letters.

Plus it was right after Cersei totally pinged him on Catelyn, which is clearly his sensitive spot, so I think he just sorta wanted to get back at her.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I suppose I should have guessed GRRM would leave me bummed and annoyed after another book. (finished DWD, ending spoilers ahead)
    Stannis dead? All well and good.
    Jon Snow dead? It was pretty stupid of him to begin with to decide he wanted to go to Winterfell, so that softened the blow a bit, but he still felt like he was Ned's best son and therefore it sucked to see him killed.
    Quent dead? That seemed like a foregone conclusion, really. Didn't really concern me that much.

I've decided I like Selmy, and therefore know he's gonna die next book.

Also, I'm glad Arya is far away from all this shit and hope she leads a good life.

Epilogue, I was expecting Littlefinger and was surprised to see Varys finally resurface. I don't see how killing Kevan is good for the realm, seems more like he's serving Aegon but *shrug* the Lannisters can all bite it for all I care. Except Tyrion of course.

And I'm still annoyed that Cersei is still alive.

as if a bit of snow could kill stannis

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man I love that the Bank of Bravvos has like
    Actuary Assassins and shit
    We will end nations to get our money son
    We will fucking repossess your country

In my mind the dude from the bank of Bravvos is Agent Coulson

NeoToma on
    we don't know if stannis is dead, if he gets the backing of the braavosi banks then that would be a big deal. but even if he takes winterfell there's no food there either so I dunno how he is getting out of it.

varys killed kevan because he thinks tommon is going to be a bad king and aegon will be a good one. sinces kevan would be a good hand killing him ruins any chance of cersei regaining control of the situation

Jars wrote: »
    we don't know if stannis is dead, if he gets the backing of the braavosi banks then that would be a big deal. but even if he takes winterfell there's no food there either so I dunno how he is getting out of it.

varys killed kevan because he thinks tommon is going to be a bad king and aegon will be a good one. sinces kevan would be a good hand killing him ruins any chance of cersei regaining control of the situation

But...
    Varys wants Cersei back in control it sounds like, at least until Aegon can build up and take back what's his.

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    as if a bit of snow could kill stannis

Indeed.

jkZziGc.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Goose!
    How the hell does Jon wanting to take revenge on the Boltons soften the blow of him being betrayed and backstabbed? He was a hero for doing all the shit he did. You're a cold person.

Amusing that you're happy with Stannis possibly being dead when you're an even bigger goose (no pun intended) about lawfulness than he is.

Heisenberg on
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    @Goose!
    How the hell does Jon wanting to take revenge on the Boltons soften the blow of him being betrayed and backstabbed? He was a hero for doing all the shit he did. You're a cold person.
    Jon did shit that pissed off the people that put him in power, this widely regarded as, an unwise move.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    @Goose!
    Jon did shit that pissed off the people that put him in power, this widely regarded as, an unwise move.

Maybe. Doesn't make it any less tragic or unjust, though.

It's just after Ned and Robb I'm kind of tired of Starks not paying attention to politics
    And this was a whole book worth of him just pissing off people with no one really on his side having his back.

My immediate thought was "Noooooo!", but then in five minutes it's like, you know what fuck jon snow.
    Dany is a least trying to understand the politics, and realizes that keeping power isn't just ruling well. It's also making sure people don't wanna shank you