As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This FCBD issue had the most confusing credits for the 4 page splash. I guess Trinity War is going to be a separate title? Because it never says issues or parts, and the way it puts Lee's name at the beginning yet he's drawing the end of the story, it doesn't flow really well. And Didio is going to co-edit the book? uh oh.

An easier thing for a teaser would be to have it say:

Coming next year.......Trinity War (fancy logo)
    Geoff Johns. Ivan Reis. Kenneth Rocafort. Gene Ha. Jim Lee.

I liked the Batman Inc preview because Burnham really has his eyes set on taking all of Quitley's money in future comic work, that Damian takedown panel was jawsome.
    Those credits are just for the free comic book day issue, not trinity war.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    As a long time comic reader, that never clicked with how it was laid out leading to the Trinity War name. it would have been nice if they added the word "pages" to any of those credits.

With AvX going on I thought DC was going to try the same thing with rotating artists on a bi-weekly schedule.

TexiKen on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    *shrug* seemed pretty clear to me to a "semi recent" comic reader. I mean they list the pages and what not. Not to say maybe these won't be the artists for whatever the Trinity War ends up being, but for now those were definitly credits for the fcbd issue.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited May 2012
    I see it now, it just didn't click over a four page spread. With a spread like that the same left to right rule applies, so having everything go to Trinity War made me think that's the cast.

It never says pages, just numbers and Ivan Reis doing breakdowns for issues 1-4 of a series would seem like a normal thing because it would be a way to keep it monthly or whatever. Maybe if they kept it in the page order with Reis at the front and Lee at the back it would have clicked more. It's all on me, my mistake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ewzjwmjlY&feature=related

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I enjoyed two things about the FCBD issue: The fact that Dr. Mist exists in this new universe, and the appearance of the Haunted Tank.

Ha and Rocafort's art was quite nice, too.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    My issues:
    I don't mind the Phantom Stranger being Judas. It kinda ruins the whole mysterious origin aspect of his character but it is still a neat origin.

Question suddenly being some cursed would-be world conqueror however is fucking horrible. That is just...good god how could you think that is a good idea?

Pandora actually being Pandora is lazy and meh. That and I don't really get how her being a figure from Greek Myth means she can now basically warp reality?

Steve Trevor is cool still, so that is nice.

Trinity War seems to be HEROES FIGHTING EACHOTHER which

no thank you
    I figured Question was Cain.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had picked up the Earth 2 comic along with a lot of the FCBD stuff I picked up and well I like World's finest far more

and I did get the FCBD and well it was just a preview to me

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    My issues:
    I don't mind the Phantom Stranger being Judas. It kinda ruins the whole mysterious origin aspect of his character but it is still a neat origin.

Question suddenly being some cursed would-be world conqueror however is fucking horrible. That is just...good god how could you think that is a good idea?

Pandora actually being Pandora is lazy and meh. That and I don't really get how her being a figure from Greek Myth means she can now basically warp reality?

Steve Trevor is cool still, so that is nice.

Trinity War seems to be HEROES FIGHTING EACHOTHER which

no thank you

Wait. Really?
    They already gave the Stranger an origin. Matter of fact, they gave him four because, you know, why tie the guy down? He's the PHANTOM STRANGER.

He was either an atlantean (which doesn't make much sense, but hey. Hypertime), an angel who didn't take sides in the war in heaven, a scientist in a timeloop, or the Wandering Jew with a clean slate, so the wandering was strictly volunteer by now.

Even gave him more later, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Judas is, you know, dead and damned and a stingy bastard besides. Just makes the Stranger lesser.

I mean, sticking to the core book and ignoring Nice Pete's fanfic, Judas isn't just the traitor. He's the worst at parties.

Kick on that it makes him much, much younger than, say, Vandal Savage, it's a bad play.

chiasaur11 on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    love the haunted tank

so

much

7656367.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    So I guess that weird new Green Lantern must be Hal's replacement or something? In which case they're addressing what is going on in Green Lantern.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    woo animal man vol 1 shipped! is this the first wave of new 52 trades?

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Hey, cool! I just saw a DC New 52 commercial on TV.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Hey, cool! I just saw a DC New 52 commercial on TV.

I can't help but think of some early-morning infomercial with Dan DiDio offering 52 new #1s at a bargain basement price that will teach your kid to read and save your dog. Call now and get the Wave 2 titles - a $20 value - absolutely free!
    Offer subject to availability. Shipping and handling charges may apply. Offer may be materially different depending upon date of order. North Carolina, Washington, and Delaware residents add 10% sales tax. Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Alaska: add $9 more for shipping and handling. DC Entertainment (a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment) makes no claims as to any merchantability suggested in this commercial. Comics are non-refundable.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    The new Hawkgirl, on the cover of Earth 2 #4:

1336420762.jpg

I quite like this. Would be interesting if the character herself was actually Egyptian.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Everything about that costume that isn't the head or wings is a mess, though.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Is that a fake vest?

Like, her top is a one piece that has a vest drawn on the surface of it, like one of those halloween costumes that basically a night shirt with a design on it.

Then there's the floating belt they threw in to justify the belly shirt.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Isn't one of the various forms of Hawkgirl vaguely Egyptian?

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I admire the bold re-imagining, if nothing else.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    It's still a bit too early to tell (one issue in) but I think Earth-2 might wind up being my favorite part of the DCnU. I enjoy that they're taking some of the older concepts are doing some innovative stuff with them, without losing the core concepts behind a lot of the characters. For example, Jay Garrick's still Jay, but we get a different take on him.

It makes me wonder if this is the same sort of thing Julie Schwartz was going for back in 1956, when he redid pretty much everyone outside of the Trinity. It could turn out shitty, to be sure, but I'm intrigued for now.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Well, I like her guns.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I really like the costume design. Probably one of my favorite redesigns so far, and making her Egyptian (I guess...) seems like one of the most obvious choices out there for bringing in some diversification given the character history that Im surprised no one has done it before.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good design, I agree.

Don't know why they had to change the color scheme up but overall it looks pretty nifty.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    like the head and wings. I guess she could really wear anything for clothing so I'm fine with that part.

also guns!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think that design is just fine

Earth-2 has some potential, I liked the last half of the debut issue so I will give the next one a fair shot.

Also notably, Robinson says that Hawkgirl replaces Earth-2 Batman as the detective hero of that universe.

CYpGAPn.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    So I guess that weird new Green Lantern must be Hal's replacement or something? In which case they're addressing what is going on in Green Lantern.

I don't know why but it reminded me of that one GL that appeared in Crisis and was like many others wiped out.

That or it's just Hal dressed up to protect himself ala Thor did once.

Or it could actually be a new guy indeed......who's really EVIL. What a twist!

And I like the Hawkgirl design, it's catchy and looks nice. Would be nice if it was an actual Egyptian as everyone is saying.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Earth 2 will end up being pretty cool, I think.

And Robinson is chummy with Johns, so I expect them to co-write an event or major crossover between the JSA and JLA at some point.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Isn't Green Lantern gearing up for some event where the guardians replace the Green Lantern Corps with some "third army" thing?

I just assumed this new Green Lantern was part of that. I mean, third army, trinity war, etc.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    Probably. Kind of looks like Black Hand in a GL uniform.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Earth 2 will end up being pretty cool, I think.

And Robinson is chummy with Johns, so I expect them to co-write an event or major crossover between the JSA and JLA at some point.

I hope so. Those team-ups were my favorite stories each year as a kid. If we're going back to a multi-verse setting, at least that will be a nice bonus.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That Hawkgirl looks silly. Who thought a brown belt would go nicely with black and blue?

What is this Earth-2 thing anyway? I remember hearing about it before, and seeing a really goofy-looking Dick as Batman costume, but I don't know what it is. I am guessing it is one of the new realities Morrison talked about three years ago or whenever. Is that correct? What differentiates it from regular DCU?

The only heroes on Earth 2 (basically just the trinity and their wards) are either dead or gone. In their place, new heroes are starting to pop up.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That Hawkgirl looks silly. Who thought a brown belt would go nicely with black and blue?

What is this Earth-2 thing anyway? I remember hearing about it before, and seeing a really goofy-looking Dick as Batman costume, but I don't know what it is. I am guessing it is one of the new realities Morrison talked about three years ago or whenever. Is that correct? What differentiates it from regular DCU?

It's the prime DCnU's alternate dimensional counterpart that they will cross-over with.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

It's the prime DCnU's alternate dimensional counterpart that they will cross-over with.

Yeah. A long time ago, Earth-2's where DC set up the Golden Age heroes at once they started making the Silver Age versions and eventually had them meet, starting with Barry Allen meeting Jay Garrick in 1961's Flash Of Two Worlds. Prior to Infinite Crisis and 52, DC also used the Earth-2 label for the JLA: Earth-2 story which introduced the modern-day version of the Crime Syndicate of Amerika, their Earth (set in the same antimatter-verse as Qward) losing the Earth-2 tag when the multiverse came back.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh, that is a neat concept, but that is some bad art-- design (how in the hell does someone with wings on their back wear a front zip vest?), pencils, inking (the vest and tanktop look like an awful shirt with a vest+shirt painted on it) and colors.

Yeah that costume is pretty balls

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Say, uh

Shouldn't she have some holsters or something? You know, a place for the guns to go?

Maybe it'll make more sense in an official design shot or something.

Now I'm just thinking about how an actual fashion designer would approach making a jacket/coat/any kind of shirt that would work with wings. I'm seeing some kind of reverse-harness thing with those detachable clips in the back to allow full range of movement for the wings and such...hmmm.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the posing on the hawkgirl is terrible.

she's trying to pull away from the zombies, right? that's why she's looking away from them and making that weird horrified face. but you can't see any of that tension in her legs, they're just sort of hanging there with that one zombie's fingers skating over them like they were made of glass. her torso's pulling in a different direction from her hips and her wings should be driving downwards trying to lift her body up. so the script says she's trying to escape but none of that is communicated in the cover.

the costume's fine. i don't mind the costume.

this is a good sales article about how the DC relaunch is 7 months in

What has happened is that before the relaunch DC use to hold the middle of the top 100, neither being too low or too high. After the relaunch they have replicated Marvel where it's the extremes, with very few books in the middle. So the Batmans and GLs and Justice Leagues are hiding a greater erosion at the bottom.
    Of the individual “New 52″ titles, 18 sold fewer than 20,000 units in March, up from 14 in February. Also notably in this context, the overall DC Universe imprint had 32 titles below the 20K mark in March 2012, which is three more than it did in March 2011 and more than twice the number from March 2010.

Even discounting the lower-selling licensed adaptations, which were published by WildStorm prior to 2011, it’s still 15 DC Universe titles below 20,000 in March 2010, versus 22 in March 2011, versus 29 in March 2012. So while the top-selling series remain relatively stable overall, there is a considerably bigger drop-off the farther down the chart you go.

Those sales numbers make me sad. This hobby is getting smaller by the day.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Those sales numbers make me sad. This hobby is getting smaller by the day.

Only the direct market. The industry will survive somehow when that is replaced.

This discussion has been closed.