As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I think I'm finally going to join in on this. (Hey, it's not like I'm spending the money on BYOC, sob). Now to figure out a button design. Something aviation related seems appropriate to me.

• DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I finally mounted my Prime '11 buttons onto my East '11 scarf and put it up on my wall. Thought you all might enjoy a quick look back.

Click Here for Buttoney goodness

Dannicus on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    So I just got the Cookie Brigade designs from VT and will be getting those uploaded shortly. Also buttons for the SchlitzKrieg participants to trade out.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    I am having such a hard time figuring out a design for my bonus button!

• GuaranaGeekGuaranaGeek Registered User new member
    Hi folks. I just joined the forums so I can get in on this kind of stuff for this year's PAX, but I have a question about PureButtons: I'm in California, but the cheapest shipping option for 100 buttons (1.5" round) is $27. This can't possibly be right, can it? That's more than the buttons themselves! :(

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    did put in the discount code?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    This will be my first PAX, and luckily (or not) I was able to get a Sunday badge after the three days sold out, so I hope to get trading with everyone when the time comes :) I hope to make PAX an annual thing, so it would be great to meet some people to do this with every year (considering i'll be alone this year).

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    alegria wrote: »
    jonxp, do you want me to handle the button collection and board creation again this year? :)

Well, I'll be sitting at the BYOC security desk, the same as every year. I can handle the button collection aspect if you can do the board.

M'kay, sounds good. I kept the button collection bin that I made last year, so I'm happy to bring that again if you want me to. I'll get two bulletin boards and bring them with me, if we don't need the second one I'll just use it for my own. :)
    Serenity wrote: »
    [Ok someone's gotta tell me where I can drop off my button for this thing this year... I somehow missed it the last 2 years...
    Where was the drop off table last year again?

Button dropoff is at the BYOC desk, which is likely to be up on the 6th floor. Just stop by anytime on Friday or Saturday and drop your button into the bin provided - I'll pick up the buttons late on Saturday (like 11pm or midnight late) and pin them to the board to present to Gabe and Tycho on Sunday morning.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    jonxp, do you want me to handle the button collection and board creation again this year? :)

Well, I'll be sitting at the BYOC security desk, the same as every year. I can handle the button collection aspect if you can do the board.

M'kay, sounds good. I kept the button collection bin that I made last year, so I'm happy to bring that again if you want me to. I'll get two bulletin boards and bring them with me, if we don't need the second one I'll just use it for my own. :)
    [Ok someone's gotta tell me where I can drop off my button for this thing this year... I somehow missed it the last 2 years...

Button dropoff is at the BYOC desk, which is likely to be up on the 6th floor. Just stop by anytime on Friday or Saturday and drop your button into the bin provided - I'll pick up the buttons late on Saturday (like 11pm or midnight late) and pin them to the board to present to Gabe and Tycho on Sunday morning.

what if I only have a pass for Sunday? will I be able to submit mine to the board?

ramen215 wrote: »
    Ok someone's gotta tell me where I can drop off my button for this thing this year... I somehow missed it the last 2 years...

what if I only have a pass for Sunday? will I be able to submit mine to the board?[/quote]

It is possible, but the onus will be on you to track me or jonxp down that morning to get it on the board before the Sunday Q&A. Both of us are in BYOC, so your best bet is to try and arrange to meet with one of us there as soon as PAX opens that morning - don't leave your button with anyone, make sure you get it to the board itself at that point.

Rw4xnu6.png
    ramen215 wrote: »
    Ok someone's gotta tell me where I can drop off my button for this thing this year... I somehow missed it the last 2 years...

what if I only have a pass for Sunday? will I be able to submit mine to the board?

It is possible, but the onus will be on you to track me or jonxp down that morning to get it on the board before the Sunday Q&A. Both of us are in BYOC, so your best bet is to try and arrange to meet with one of us there as soon as PAX opens that morning - don't leave your button with anyone, make sure you get it to the board itself at that point.

[/quote]

Looks like I have my first 'to-do' for my first PAX :D I'll rush over ASAP!

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hi folks. I just joined the forums so I can get in on this kind of stuff for this year's PAX, but I have a question about PureButtons: I'm in California, but the cheapest shipping option for 100 buttons (1.5" round) is $27. This can't possibly be right, can it? That's more than the buttons themselves! :(

Doesn't sound right. Email their customer service and ask about it.

Please bring it along. Worked great last year. I've also got Yamara hard at work creating this year's official Buttoneering button, so I'll be exchanging one of those for everyone who contributes to the board.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    Please bring it along. Worked great last year. I've also got Yamara hard at work creating this year's official Buttoneering button, so I'll be exchanging one of those for everyone who contributes to the board.

All righty, will do. I'll get BigRed's button(s) from him separately, assuming he continues on the trend of buttons that won't fit in the bin. :) Also, if anyone else is planning to make buttons for trade that are over 3" in diameter, please contact me privately to arrange a meeting for me to get one for the board, as it won't fit in my collection bin. Thanks! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ok...so I am reading all the posts and I just want to ask a noob question...

I get the trading of buttons, bring my own...trade with others...get an epic collection at the end. Looks like I need to also drop one off at the BYOC desk to be included in the ones Gabe and Tycho get. But what's up with the "bonus buttons"?

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

I get the trading of buttons, bring my own...trade with others...get an epic collection at the end. Looks like I need to also drop one off at the BYOC desk to be included in the ones Gabe and Tycho get. But what's up with the "bonus buttons"?

Most people make just one button to bring with them to trade. Some folks make "bonus" buttons that they produce in smaller quantities and give out as a reward for something. For example, let's say I make a bonus button about Archer (the FX show) and when I give out my main button I make some archer reference or quote... if the person gets it and responds in some way, BAM bonus button :)

It's basically just an extra little thing to make trading even MORE fun.

zerzhul on
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular

Are you sure PureButtons is interpreting "CA" as California and not Canada? That sounds like Canadian shipping prices to me. (As someone who has paid Canadian shipping prices... :/ )

zerzhul wrote: »
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

Most people make just one button to bring with them to trade. Some folks make "bonus" buttons that they produce in smaller quantities and give out as a reward for something. For example, let's say I make a bonus button about Archer (the FX show) and when I give out my main button I make some archer reference or quote... if the person gets it and responds in some way, BAM bonus button :)

It's basically just an extra little thing to make trading even MORE fun.
    Ah! that's how they work!
    I might have to get in on this....

*imagination goes into overdrive*
    hehe

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • GuaranaGeekGuaranaGeek Registered User new member
    did put in the discount code?
    I did, but it's the cost of shipping that's the problem, not the buttons themselves (which are quite reasonable!).
    Are you sure PureButtons is interpreting "CA" as California and not Canada? That sounds like Canadian shipping prices to me. (As someone who has paid Canadian shipping prices... :/ )
    Good theory (as someone who has also paid Canadian shipping many a time), but that's not it, either. Here's a screenshot.
    I think I'm gonna take jonxp's advice and email customer service.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Alright, the first draft of the website redesign is done. Check it out.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Alright, the first draft of the website redesign is done. Check it out.

The site looks great! Excited to see mine already up there.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    site looks great! also...to answer a previous question about where to put your buttons to trade...I made a few sashes for my self and friends...I put my buttons on the front and the ones I received on the back...I never had to ask someone to trade since my massive collection was very visable. I tried to sell them once on the forum before but I think I tried too late...would anyone be interested in sashes? Price would only be $5-10 depending on material used and if the sash was double thick. I am trying to make a buttoneer logo to put on the top/front of it this time

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    Site looks awesome.
    Sashes are a cool idea. Would they block too much of an Enforcers' shirt? On the off chance I might actually get to be one.
    :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    <--- would love a sash!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Love the site!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Site looks awesome.
    Sashes are a cool idea. Would they block too much of an Enforcers' shirt? On the off chance I might actually get to be one.
    :)

You may need to pin it to ensure it doesn't cover the logos, but depending on the size it might be doable.

Cool. I'm hoping to be an Enforcer most of the time. I'll have to transfer some badges to my lanyard for my cosplays.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Is anyone else having a hard time picking a design? I have four designs I love in photoshop now but none have a place for my username.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else having a hard time picking a design? I have four designs I love in photoshop now but none have a place for my username.
    Sometimes you don't need to have your name on it. Just something that screams out, "Dude! I know this one!! You're totally Adias.Angel! YAY!!!!"

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

The woes of buttoneering! :) I think about my design all year round and never quite settle until something happens where I know it's "the one."

Have you considered adding your username to the rim? I do that every year to free up space on the front of the button. In the template, just make sure your text is halfway between the dotted line and the solid line.

Template view:
    Knight_ wrote: »
    rFvoh.jpg

This is what mine looked like last year:
    fePNTl.jpg

Covet on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Exploiting the rim space is super awesome for names and stuff. I think I'm going to do that this year if I can ever come up with a freaking button design. So busy, no time to do anything D:

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Covet wrote: »

The woes of buttoneering! :) I think about my design all year round and never quite settle until something happens where I know it's "the one."

Have you considered adding your username to the rim? I do that every year to free up space on the front of the button. In the template, just make sure your text is halfway between the dotted line and the solid line.

Template view:
    rFvoh.jpg

This is what mine looked like last year:
    fePNTl.jpg

That is a freakin' awesome idea. Sold and sold!

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    The new site looks awesome.

It looks cool. I like having mine on the face. But that is really cool if you get a design that's just to awesome to have your name on it.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    For example, let's say I make a bonus button about Archer (the FX show) and when I give out my main button I make some archer reference or quote... if the person gets it and responds in some way, BAM bonus button :)

Because that's how you get Ants. Can I have one now?

And on a more on-topic note, I'm doing SchlitzKrieg buttons for the folks on the tour this year too.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.

I wasn't sure how much room to leave between the lines and the top/bottom of the letters. Will this work ok?
    Captian.jpg

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I wasn't sure how much room to leave between the lines and the top/bottom of the letters. Will this work ok?
    Captian.jpg

Should work, the templates are really accurate.

Also give me that button right now. Geeeev.

Edit: That's a 1" round though, so the text will be smaller. I've never seen rim text on a 1" round, so I dunno how legible it is.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wow, the new site looks great. Already signed up, and still finalizing my design. I suck at photoshop (seriously, adding the text appropriately is my current project), so it could be a little while before I order/upload, but I'm pretty psyched for it.

mikegonzalez on
    "I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater

Captian.jpg

Should work, the templates are really accurate.

Also give me that button right now. Geeeev.

Edit: That's a 1" round though, so the text will be smaller. I've never seen rim text on a 1" round, so I dunno how legible it is.

LOL you should see the other three designs I have. All Marvel. :rotate:

I love the 1" size so I wonder how small it would be...

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    what about some sort of gauntlet for enforcers so they can still do buttons without losing shirt visibility?

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
This discussion has been closed.