As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a triple turtle [chat]

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Are you guys making fun of English majors in here? It is a pretty overplayed joke.

actually, since EM started boss'ing these constructs i think we're admiring english majors

A grasp of rhetoric and language is important, yo.

My joke English major power is the ability to write perfect haikus or tankas in about 5 seconds on any topic. My real one is making grown men cry.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    how about the power

to move you

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Are you guys making fun of English majors in here? It is a pretty overplayed joke.

english-majors.jpg

I like you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    mein gott, it's beautiful

i'm terrible at syllabic... whatever-mabobbits

when i try and write in a certain meter or do a haiku or anything at all involving counting, intervals, grouping, anything at all

i sit there like a chump looking slightly upwards while counting on my fingers and muttering angrily to separate syllables in my brain

i'm sure this is just me being dumb and some cognitive shortcoming, but since it's the easy way out i'm gonna blame it on being ETL

Syllabic writing, at least the traditional forms, are almost never practiced in contemporary writing.

Haiku also need not follow the 5/7/5 formula we've been taught. Most haiku written today doesn't, not even the stuff coming from Japan.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    no but in all seriousness, my main 'disdain' for different majors is just how much i feel like that person is more educated than me. and i don't mean that from the utilitarian, spartan engineering standpoint wherein only discrete and financially rewarding job skills are 'worthy' points of education. but like, i feel as though most music majors or art history majors or history majors or computer science majors or biology majors will be four years more educated than me on those subjects.

whereas with a handful of majors i feel like that person just isn't meaningfully more educated than me- they can't speak authoritatively or act authoritatively on much of anything, financially rewarding or otherwise. those are the majors that make me go 'brah... c'mon, brah'.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    whereas with a handful of majors i feel like that person just isn't meaningfully more educated than me- they can't speak authoritatively or act authoritatively on much of anything, financially rewarding or otherwise. those are the majors that make me go 'brah... c'mon, brah'.

One of my buddies that studied... whatever the heck you'd call that in English, something with politics, kept telling awful stories about two thirds of the people he studied with.

People at a university level that complained about lectures and how they'd rather be somewhere else.

You're an adult. There's no compulsory attendance. Go drink your ass of if you want. We call it responsibility. Just don't complain when you flunk it.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    So for some reason dell pulled the 64 bit version of their bluetooth drivers for the precision 4400.

Whatever, download drivers for other precision models, works fine. FU Dell.

Troubleshooting compounded by the fact that our asshole previous IT guy went into people's BIOS randomly to disable bluetooth. "Oh, it looks like your bluetooth was disable in the BIOS, but now it should work fine" *boots up windows* what? Still not detecting a device? Fine. *inputs service tag at dell support page and goes to download relevant drivers* Page not found eh? *sobs*

The dude I was helping was a baller though. Talking about how I have a good reputation in the office there and that I don't give up! I'd rather have the reputation as the guy that effortlessly solves all the problems and is desired by all the women, but I'll take what I can get.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My BA degree is in Writing and Literature. When I was attending school, I was amazed at the number of fellow students who neither read nor wrote.

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I'm basically a neckbeard.

Like sure I'm a woman and I'm skinny, but I'm still a neckbeard.

Makes me sad.

...how?

I live with my parents, spend most of my time doing geek ass things, have no love life and I fill the void in my heart with candy and cheetos.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Makes me sad.

...how?

I live with my parents, spend most of my time doing geek ass things, have no love life and I fill the void in my heart with candy and cheetos.

That'll do it.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Jonathan Coulton's My Monkey is a fun song. I'd play this acoustic for my future bride to propose.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i most certainly am not a neckbeard

despite the neckbeard

Elendil on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    My BA degree is in Writing and Literature. When I was attending school, I was amazed at the number of fellow students who neither read nor wrote.

One of my Fraternity Brothers handed in a paper on the History of Presidential Powers During Wartime wherein he used the word "escaladed" about a dozen times. I believe he received a passing grade.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

when i try and write in a certain meter or do a haiku or anything at all involving counting, intervals, grouping, anything at all

i sit there like a chump looking slightly upwards while counting on my fingers and muttering angrily to separate syllables in my brain

i'm sure this is just me being dumb and some cognitive shortcoming, but since it's the easy way out i'm gonna blame it on being ETL

Syllabic writing, at least the traditional forms, are almost never practiced in contemporary writing.

Haiku also need not follow the 5/7/5 formula we've been taught. Most haiku written today doesn't, not even the stuff coming from Japan.

People are big on the 5-7-5 when doing joke haikus, but they never do the traditional season word.

I know both are archaic and not-universal conventions but I am always waiting for the seasonal giveaway word that never comes.

/humanitiesmajorontheinternet

• Options

Makes me sad.

...how?

Do you often yell at people for not liking the same D&D Ruleset that you like?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am the queen

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i most certainly am not a neckbeard

despite the neckbeard

SHAVE

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    i am the queen

... of hearts?

• Options
    The seasonal reference is mandatory. You need to know seven hundred allusions to spring.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    sometimes i have really weird thoughts that are even too weird for this forum (you guys being probably my most casual social circle by an order of magnitude)

and then they just bounce around in my head

• Options
    queen of the quad

• Options
    desc wrote: »

People are big on the 5-7-5 when doing joke haikus, but they never do the traditional season word.

I know both are archaic and not-universal conventions but I am always waiting for the seasonal giveaway word that never comes.

/humanitiesmajorontheinternet

Today's season word is...

THYME!

• Options
    I'm pretty sure my first marriage proposal will be straight from that Forrest Gump scene

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

Makes me sad.

...how?

I've never played D&D.

Does that shorten my neckbeard?

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    The seasonal reference is mandatory. You need to know seven hundred allusions to spring.

I thought that had been challenged long ago and wasn't mandatory as of like a century ago. It's still official?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    no spool my first cousin was the queen of hearts

its up to you to work out if i am joking or not

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    so a guy at the office said the problem with people hating on suckerpunch is that they went into the theater thinking they were going to see inception when in fact they were going to see saving private ryan - saving private ryan was a "terrible" movie with amazing visuals, and so is sucker punch

what in the whating what

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    so a guy at the office said the problem with people hating on suckerpunch is that they went into the theater thinking they were going to see inception when in fact they were going to see saving private ryan - saving private ryan was a "terrible" movie with amazing visuals, and so is sucker punch

what in the whating what
    It's legal to kill someone with bad opinions in Texas, right?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Makes me sad.

...how?

I've never played D&D.

It depends. Can the sentence be changed to be "I've never played D&D, I prefer much more simulationist systems"?

Thomamelas on
  • Options

Makes me sad.

...how?

I've never played D&D.

That depends. What P&PRPGs have you played.

And I don't think you have to fret about neckbeardiness. Being geeky and a bit reclusive doesn't really make someone a neckbeard. At least to me, that word is associated with a lot of the more assholeish things geeks get up to when they become sufficiently detached from reality.

• Options
    I had a wonderful dream last night.

By wonderful I mean it was terrifying. I live for these. Being jolted awake by a voice on the phone saying "STOP ASKING QUESTIONS." in a haunted house.

Driving into this town, there were tower-ish houses with weird things stacked in them all the way to the hundred foot ceilings. The first one was just mattresses. I think the last one was cat food.

What? I like cats.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

what in the whating what

And then you slapped him till he started speaking sense, right?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    My favorite poem, translated to English:

Summer night
    Even the stars
    Are whispering to each other

Kobayashi Issa

:3

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Summer night
    Even the stars

Kobayashi Issa

stars don't whisper

STARS DON'T WHISPER

• Options
    I've never played any P&P anything, other than Clue.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Summer night
    Even the stars

Kobayashi Issa

TL;DR

• Options
    I don't really understand how you get from Suckerpunch to Saving Private Ryan at all. Unless they happen to be on at the same time in the same room on 2 different screens.

• Options
    I've never played any P&P anything, other than Clue.

You should start out with some RIFTS. It's a great beginner system.

• Options

I thought that had been challenged long ago and wasn't mandatory as of like a century ago. It's still official?

well, for me it's mandatory. Really, I think it mostly needs a sharp juxtaposition between two images.

This discussion has been closed.