As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a triple turtle [chat]

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    guys ill be honest

poetry is gay

i know so on account of my literary science
    It's wasteful and stupid, like music, and little kids' cartoons that adults watch.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    PKIkk.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I've always wanted to "get" poetry, but I always feel as though I'm on the outside of an inside joke.

This is a common feeling. Poetry is not about reducing poems to paraphrases or deducing what they "mean". It's about enjoying the art of language. Look for relationships between words, tension, irony, juxtaposition, etc.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I've been dreaming a lot lately.

I've gotten to the point where I have a fairly consistent record of recognizing when I am sleeping.

Then I exert executive control over the dream and turn it into a sex dream as soon as possible.

But a few minutes later I almost always wake up.

It is so depressing, I haven't figured out how to prevent myself from waking up once I've realized I'm dreaming.

Spinning in circles is traditional to maintain dreaming. Do a pirouette and keep going at increasing speed.

When you stop you will probably be somewhere else do to the brain going ADHD mode in dreams, but whatever.

Wait, is this for real?

Because I noticed last night when I was getting close to waking up and I was fighting it that the world started spinning around me. Could be a coincidence?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    these poems are awful

they don't even rhyme

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've always wanted to "get" poetry, but I always feel as though I'm on the outside of an inside joke.

It's word art. You need to let yourself open up to impressions, rather than trying to study and understand it.
    Let yourself connect emotionally, and let the words shape that connection.

spool32 on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    these poems are awful

they don't even rhyme

I KNOW

919UOwT.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Certain parts of each of these translations seems off. Bugger all.

I can just pick and choose them.

The same night that whitens the same trees.
    We, we who were, we are the same no longer.

I no longer love her, true, but how much I did love her.
    My voice searched the wind to touch her ear.

Someone else's. She will be someone else's. As it was before my kisses.
    Her voice, her white body. Her infinite eyes.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Gay poetry, however, not very gay. They often have difficult childhoods.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    huh, apparently google's driverless car prototypes have already done 140,000 miles on the roads with zero at-fault accidents (apparently a few times the dude behind it tapped it at red lights)

there was always a driver inside ready to take over if shit fucked up but apparently it never did

nevada now awarded one of the cars a license

p badass if you ask me

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

That is because some poets suck. It should speak to everyone. Try reading the two that I linked.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    guys ill be honest

poetry is gay

i know so on account of my literary science

I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld. When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe or laugh or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Nerds hate cool things and elevate crap to the level of masterworks.

Purge.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i wrote a poem about the financial crisis

it was in bank verse

LOL

obF2Wuw.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    My favorite poem is Paradise Lost:
    No, I did not post ten thousand lines of verse in here. Are you fucking crazy?

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Poetry is completely unintelligible to me.

Like literally I try to read it and my mind draws a blank.

yGxvf.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Organichu wrote: »
    huh, apparently google's driverless car prototypes have already done 140,000 miles on the roads with zero at-fault accidents (apparently a few times the dude behind it tapped it at red lights)

there was always a driver inside ready to take over if shit fucked up but apparently it never did

p badass if you ask me

That is pretty awesome.

Than, I didn't expect ten thousand lines, but you could have posted a snippet, if you have a favorite stanza.

Tamin on
    April-03-2012-23-33-27-tumblrm02dnyl9vW1qa9omho1500.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Most poetry is bad poetry. Just like most art is bad art.

nibXTE7.png
    @surrealitycheck Do you have any actual pets, or do you just leech off of pictures of everyone else's?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I've been dreaming a lot lately.

I've gotten to the point where I have a fairly consistent record of recognizing when I am sleeping.

Then I exert executive control over the dream and turn it into a sex dream as soon as possible.

But a few minutes later I almost always wake up.

It is so depressing, I haven't figured out how to prevent myself from waking up once I've realized I'm dreaming.

Spinning in circles is traditional to maintain dreaming. Do a pirouette and keep going at increasing speed.

When you stop you will probably be somewhere else do to the brain going ADHD mode in dreams, but whatever.

Desc I am regularly jelly of your hippie upbringing

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012

That is because some poets suck. It should speak to everyone. Try reading the two that I linked.

This is like trying to please everybody, which is to say, impossible.

Vanguard on
    I also find that when I try to force things to happen in my dreams they are "less real" than the things that are "naturally occurring". Like they tend to be like ghosts.

I have found a strange kind of medium by altering things that are already there rather than introducing new elements.

Also my brain fights back and tries to impose limits on me. For instance, I can't always make myself fly or something because my brain has decided the rules already and flying is outside of them. Generally when I try to over-write that too much is when I wake up.

i steal these

im too lazy to get a dog now and when i was young my mother claimed to be allergic to furry animals

which i later discovered was a lie

she denied me dog

WbXz1.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    My favorite poem is Paradise Lost:
    No, I did not post ten thousand lines of verse in here. Are you fucking crazy?

So lame. I bet your favourite band is nickelback.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tamin wrote: »

p badass if you ask me

That is pretty awesome.

More like a learners permit.

they still need two people in the car when it is in motion, one to take over if it goes all skynet on us, and one to monitor the computer.

The license plate will be red, to denote to all passengers on the road that the car is "different"

their hope however, is that in 3-5 years, that they will be able to switch over to "green" plates, and allow people to just ride in them without having to monitor actions or anything.

Owning a car and being a lousy drunk will be safer than ever!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

It's word art. You need to let yourself open up to impressions, rather than trying to study and understand it.
    Let yourself connect emotionally, and let the words shape that connection.

When you are told about the old man from Nantucket, let it inform your sense of ennui and the futility of life. Let it speak to you as someone who experiences the human condition. Or in this case, the human condition of having a very large penis.

edited May 2012
    Most poetry is bad poetry. Just like most art is bad art.

3ooe9u.jpg

Vanguard on
    QZUX7.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Tycho wrote:
    ...I wrote a short poem about Scott Kurtz being eaten by a crocodile, entitled “Someone Please Help, Scott Kurtz Is Being Eaten By A Crocodile.”

“It hurts,” thought Kurtz, while being chewed
    “It is, of course, considered rude
    To speak while one is eating, but
    Mightn’t one speak, when they are food?”

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Let me attempt to change that:
    i like my body when it is with your
    body. It is so quite new a thing.
    Muscles better and nerves more.
    i like your body. i like what it does,
    i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
    of your body and its bones, and the trembling
    -firm-smooth ness and which i will
    again and again and again
    kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
    i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
    of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
    over parting flesh … And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you so quite new

spool32 on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

p badass if you ask me

That is pretty awesome.

More like a learners permit.

they still need two people in the car when it is in motion, one to take over if it goes all skynet on us, and one to monitor the computer.

The license plate will be red, to denote to all passengers on the road that the car is "different"

their hope however, is that in 3-5 years, that they will be able to switch over to "green" plates, and allow people to just ride in them without having to monitor actions or anything.

Owning a car and being a lousy drunk will be safer than ever!

The first company to make a self-driving bed-car gets my money.

nibXTE7.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I think it was Vonnegut that wrote a bit about the fictitious poetry magazine that went under despite being inundated with submissions every month. People like to write "poetry" a damn sight more than they like to read other people's poems.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Taking my 13-year-old doberman to the vet, because he can no longer control his pooping. I may need to do some digging when we come back. :cry::cry:

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    this is my honest feeling about english majors, because i've been chewing on it for the past half hour or so while making lunch: it feels like they spit out students who were less engaged with the material. this isn't about liberal arts versus scientific or technical fields- i'd say the average art history or women's studies major feels more educated than me. if i talked with them on a bunch of subjects it would grow clear pretty quickly that in this field, they have a pretty good idea what they're saying- they outclass me (and most people) without much effort. maybe that's because it's more interesting to the students?

but i don't feel that way about english majors. @Evil Multifarious has an incredibly tighter grasp on english and composition than i do- his education served him well. but i think he's also smarter than me in general and he was able to engage the material and grow from it. but in general, it feels to me like english majors don't have exacting standards from a school's perspective, or that they might not take the material seriously. when i speak with an english major, rarely do i feel like their grasp of the language or sociolinguistics or literary analysis or whatever 'dwarfs' mine. they may be a little more polished and know a few more facts, but in the aggregate they tend to not make me feel like they are significantly more educated than me. i don't know if i'd say that's a unique position for them but i can't think of any others that make me feel the same way.

btw no offense intended. just trying to be real, brahs. bouncing my thoughts around n' shit.

Deebaser wrote: »

I think it was Vonnegut that wrote a bit about the fictitious poetry magazine that went under despite being inundated with submissions every month. People like to write "poetry" a damn sight more than they like to read other people's poems.

Contemporary poetry is pretty similar. Mostly poets reading other poets, and a lot of small press magazines (see: the majority of where contemporary poetry lives) get thousands of submissions each month, most by people who have never read the magazine.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    What the fuck? Poetry?

Turtle chat is weird chat.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Let me attempt to change that:
    i like my body when it is with your
    body. It is so quite new a thing.
    Muscles better and nerves more.
    i like your body. i like what it does,
    i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
    of your body and its bones, and the trembling
    -firm-smooth ness and which i will
    again and again and again
    kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
    i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
    of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
    over parting flesh … And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you so quite new

...I guess that's about having sex?

It's still mostly gibberish though.

yGxvf.png
    this is my honest feeling about english majors, because i've been chewing on it for the past half hour or so while making lunch: it feels like they spit out students who were less engaged with the material. this isn't about liberal arts versus scientific or technical fields- i'd say the average art history or women's studies major feels more educated than me. if i talked with them on a bunch of subjects it would grow clear pretty quickly that in this field, they have a pretty good idea what they're saying- they outclass me (and most people) without much effort. maybe that's because it's more interesting to the students?

but i don't feel that way about english majors. @Evil Multifarious has an incredibly tighter grasp on english and composition than i do- his education served him well. but i think he's also smarter than me in general and he was able to engage the material and grow from it. but in general, it feels to me like english majors don't have exacting standards from a school's perspective, or that they might not take the material seriously. when i speak with an english major, rarely do i feel like their grasp of the language or sociolinguistics or literary analysis or whatever 'dwarfs' mine. they may be a little more polished and know a few more facts, but in the aggregate they tend to not make me feel like they are significantly more educated than me. i don't know if i'd say that's a unique position for them but i can't think of any others that make me feel the same way.

btw no offense intended. just trying to be real, brahs. bouncing my thoughts around n' shit.

I feel this way about the vast majority of Psych majors also.

I know way more about Psychology than the other Psych majors I graduated with, and let's be honest I am not king of psychology.

i steal these

im too lazy to get a dog now and when i was young my mother claimed to be allergic to furry animals

which i later discovered was a lie

she denied me dog
    Where did you hide the body?

This discussion has been closed.