As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Tabletop Freeplay Thread

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2012 in PAX West
This thread is for all discussion of tabletop games.

Since the guys who run the tabletop tournaments will inevetably create a thread for tournaments once details for those are hammered out, this thread will be primarily for freeplay discussion, but feel free to talk about what tournaments may potentially be like until such thread is created.

At East, I quite enjoyed the extremely late night Cards Against Humanity fun times. If you're a horrible person with horrible friends, I strongly recommend it.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I used to play the Magi-Nation card game years back but have been considering getting back into it. Are there any players that will be attending PAX prime? Do they even sell any of the cards at pax?

Thanks for the info!

Uba on
    The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    Didnt see it last year. Magic and WoW were the two most prevalent card games I saw being played last year. I enjoyed learning the WoW TCG myself and will probably play quite a bit this year :)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm hoping to get a chance to play BSG again at some point during Prime.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    At East, I quite enjoyed the extremely late night Cards Against Humanity fun times. If you're a horrible person with horrible friends, I strongly recommend it.

The friends coming with me to PAX this year enjoy plaiying things like "Helen Keller" for "Senseless" and "JFK" for "leaky" in Apples to apples, does this qualify us for this game?
    (Also, I looked this game up online and loved the idea, must get, do these latenight games occur in TT Freeplay, and will people be willing to teach us the basics?)

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is there a set etiquette for LFGing in tabletop freeplay?

In the past I've kind of had some trouble finding open groups. While I'm plenty extroverted when I have a Mission (like gief cookies), the rest of the time I'm actually kind of shy. The only time I've had good results were when someone saw my aimless wandering and recruited me, but I'd like to do... more... productive... thing.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Just got into the game of thrones LCG. Anyone know if there are any games setup?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    what do you guys suggest for someone who's only ever played D&D and is going to his first pax?

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular

In the past I've kind of had some trouble finding open groups. While I'm plenty extroverted when I have a Mission (like gief cookies), the rest of the time I'm actually kind of shy. The only time I've had good results were when someone saw my aimless wandering and recruited me, but I'd like to do... more... productive... thing.

I've been here too. I was more successful in recruiting people when I was with a fellow tabletopper. I think pairs are less risky for recruitment, in people's minds, as it means they're sociable.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Does anyone play The Spoils ccg?

badge.png

I've been here too. I was more successful in recruiting people when I was with a fellow tabletopper. I think pairs are less risky for recruitment, in people's minds, as it means they're sociable.

Heh, I am the exception that proves that rule I suppose.
    Which brings up a good point. The wife an I were going to try to do more TT-Freeplay this year than last year (i.e. >0 hours). Anyone got any tips for us? Last year was our First PAX and while we did play some at the SJG area, we wanted to branch out

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I usually spend a fair amount of time in the tt free play area--we got a pretty epic game of robo rally going last year! Has anyone had success using twitter to find people to play with?

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    lizpirate wrote: »
    I usually spend a fair amount of time in the tt free play area--we got a pretty epic game of robo rally going last year! Has anyone had success using twitter to find people to play with?

I've used Twitter in the past to find people to play with. I've also stood outside the TT library and announced I'm looking to play a game and need X more players (I'm not very shy). This year to save my voice I might make a sign that reads "Will play games with you. Please?". I've also roped people who loiter near me and my friends while we're playing into future games. I've even seen TT organizers group strangers together to play a game when they see people milling around the library.

For those of you who feel more on the timid side when meeting people, but wanna get a game going, feel free to msg me via Twitter and I'll see where/what I'm doing. If I'm free, I'll likely be down!

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'd be nice if there were a LFG table with a sign on it next to the games library. It's a suggestion that they've talked about before, but it's never been implemented so far.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Crogoth wrote: »
    what do you guys suggest for someone who's only ever played D&D and is going to his first pax?

Don't get trapped in the DnD Encounters area! (Or do, lol.) I spent probably half my game time down in the DnD Lair last year and met some awesome people. It's a great place to just get tossed into a game, as the organizers have no problem throwing 6 strangers together to suffer under their DMs. I made some awesome friends hacking away at undead flesh.

If you're looking to branch out from the DnD area of the show, then there's lots of places to get your game on. Entering the TT tournaments is a great way to play games and meet people, potentially make new friends. Another place to meet new people in a structured area is the TT demo rooms/tables. The game companies there are pretty good at grouping strangers together to play a demo of their game. Demo stations are generally scattered throughout the center, so keep you're eyes peeled!

Another place/thing you can do is loiter around the TT Library and try and get on a game there. Often times people want to play a game but are 1-2 players short. Sometimes the TT Enforcers help get strangers together to play and sometimes they're just too swamped. But it's definitely worth a shot.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
  • JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Would it be a safe bet to see playtests for the next D&D edition taking place at Prime this year?

JamieOD wrote: »
    Would it be a safe bet to see playtests for the next D&D edition taking place at Prime this year?

I'd imagine it's highly likely but, Wizards will likely firm that up closer to the date. But IIRC, it had been announced in passing somewhere over at wizards.com/dnd (strictly an IIRC, I vaguely remember seeing something on my way to the compendium).

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I feel your pain.

@Tar3820
    What about for someone, like me, who has only ever played AD&D? And even that was five years ago now.
    Any tips for getting into the modern TT world? IS pax a good place to do that? How hard is it to un-learn the old and out dated D&D?
    :/

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    I feel your pain.

@Tar3820
    What about for someone, like me, who has only ever played AD&D? And even that was five years ago now.
    Any tips for getting into the modern TT world? IS pax a good place to do that? How hard is it to un-learn the old and out dated D&D?

not sure if it'll be the same kind of "memory wipe" but i managed to forget 3.5 after 2-3 years of playing, for 4e pretty easily

• aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    I feel your pain.

@Tar3820

I don't think there's anything to "un-learn" - they're practically two different systems. Every edition is extremely different from the previous.
    As much as people like to get caught up in edition wars, enjoyment of D&D is not mutually exclusive between editions. I play a regular homebrew campaign of 3.5 while dropping in for the local 4e Encounters game occasionally.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I'd be nice if there were a LFG table with a sign on it next to the games library. It's a suggestion that they've talked about before, but it's never been implemented so far.

We TT enforcers are actually discussing solutions to this at length, but if you have suggestions please do contribute. We love feedback and anything we can do to make TT more awesome is automatic win.

As far as solutions we have right now, the hashtag #ttlfg on twitter is a go-to suggestion because it's fairly robust and hits exactly the audience you want to hit; we've had mixed feedback on how well it works (I've picked up a good half dozen games through it, while some others claim they've only ever seen 3-4 people using it), but it's a start. Logistics are a concern but we've tried to have a whiteboard for people to write on or a projector showing the #ttlfg tag when possible, as well. Where Prime is concerned, checking out the game you want to play from the library and then just talking to others inside or outside the library is a great way to get a table going; many times the library room fills up and a queue forms outside, and those people often just want to get their game on and don't really care how they do it or who with.

And like several others, I am more than happy to come and play any game with anyone who asks just about anytime. Ping me on twitter, @Nullzone42, and I will totes be there (as long as I'm not on shift or at a Protomen concert!) :D

Nullzone on
  • zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    I'm a huge board gamer with a good chunk of games on my shelves. Does freeplay mean bring some games from home, plop them down and then call LFG?
    If so I've got some interesting gems in my collection. One of my personal faves is a 1984 TSR board game from Tom Wham called Mertwig's Maze.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You certainly can bring your own, but we do provide a library of games for check out as well.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

Play Munchkin. Trust me.

E6LkoFK.png

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Play Munchkin. Trust me.

SledgeHammer_Motivational_by_DarkGeneral.png

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Didnt see it last year. Magic and WoW were the two most prevalent card games I saw being played last year. I enjoyed learning the WoW TCG myself and will probably play quite a bit this year :)

Yeah thats kinda what I figured :/ Played far too much magic so maybe I'll have to go research the WoW card game. Just looking for a new ccg to pick up more or less, Magi-Nation just popped up as a childhood favorite (although if it were available I'd be on it).

Maybe a tabletop LFG section would work for pax. Space permitting a noob section would be nice too haha. It's hard to walk into the pathfinder room and start anywhere when you've never played any sort of DnD style game ever. There are quite a few games I might buy if there was a lil easier learning curve/introduction.

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Will there br Warhammer?? I always wanted to try that game.... Also wil I need to bring anything to these?? Like my own deck of card/figures??

• thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Play Munchkin. Trust me.

Munchkin is BANNED in our house. We get too ruthless. :twisted:

However I am the SmallWorld Champion!!!!! :rotate:

badge.png
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Uba wrote: »

Yeah thats kinda what I figured :/ Played far too much magic so maybe I'll have to go research the WoW card game. Just looking for a new ccg to pick up more or less, Magi-Nation just popped up as a childhood favorite (although if it were available I'd be on it).

Maybe a tabletop LFG section would work for pax. Space permitting a noob section would be nice too haha. It's hard to walk into the pathfinder room and start anywhere when you've never played any sort of DnD style game ever. There are quite a few games I might buy if there was a lil easier learning curve/introduction.

Every vendor has "noob friendly" areas, typically (but that is on them to set up). Just go find something that looks interesting and they'll be happy to teach you. To cite your specific example, both Pathfinder and D&D had learn to play type events going all weekend at last Prime, so don't worry about that.

Barring that, our standard LFG methods work just as well for a "want to learn" broadcast (I learned Arkham Horror this way, thanks @psychopez ), so just reach out and odds are good someone totally digs the game you want to learn and will take any available chance to get a newcomer hooked on it :)
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    Will there br Warhammer?? I always wanted to try that game.... Also wil I need to bring anything to these?? Like my own deck of card/figures??

For "learn to play" or demo type games you usually don't have to bring your own material. Magic and WoW TCG both offer intro leagues that provide a starter deck for you. I'm not sure if Warhammer has a presence that includes demo space or not, but Warmachine usually does. If miniature skirmish combat has piqued your interest, I recommend checking it out as well; I like it more than Warhammer, personally. As we start getting closer to the show you should see threads pop up with information about WHF/40k/PP organized play, and possibly any demo/intro games available in tandem.

Nullzone on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    @ aludrachaos
    Thanks for the tips. I tried learning an edition of D&D, I have no clue which, about 5 years ago. It was a catostropic failure. It's scared me off from TT since.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    The WoW TCG area had beginner tourneys and had a very friendly group of people who are more than happy to teach beginners the ropes.

I feel your pain.

@Tar3820

@KellyShepard
    If it's been 5 years since you last played, chances are you've forgotten the weird specific rules that really set the editions apart. Some of the major differences between 3.5 and 4e are only apparent if you're trying to do some really crazy rules bending. The Encounters area at PAX is a great place to dip a toe into 4e and get the blood flowing again. I'd recommend you play a few rounds with a couple different DMs, as all their DMs will give you a different experience.

As far as the rest of the modern TT world, PAX is a great place to dip a toe in. People play a HUGE variety of stuff there and are generally cool if you walk up and ask them about it. Just beware.. When I went to my first PAX I had only played Dominion and Settlers of Catan as far as "real boardgames". Now I own more games than my shelves can hold!

Also forgot to mention, my twitter handle is @TheOneTar.

• PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular

I couple years ago when the boardgames were in the annex there was an empty table inside the library and reasonably quiet hall outside.

It worked really well, and I played more games with strangers that year than the years since. It was pretty obvious: sit at table = want to play. The hall outside was also nice since if someone was walking or sitting out there, you knew they were interested in tabletop gaming.

The way it's set up in the main WCC, it's intimidating to flag down people in the throngs of PAXer's trying to get to the expo hall or a session or byoc or nothing to do with you and tabletop games and kind of don't care. I've also been told by WCC staff to get out of the way ("this is for people trying to get places") while standing outside the library, though I think they backed off on that last year.

Twitter always sounds cool for people from the US and a good data plan. The rest of the world (me) can go screw themselves under that model, unfortunately. Even if I pay for local phone service, #ttlfg seems to get mixed results... I fall distinctly in the "only ever seen 3-4 people using it" crowd... I dunno if it's some wierd algorithm twitter is using for searches or caching or it's based on your user country or if I'm a bigger twitter dumbass than I think.

BGG.con hands out LFG signs at their library, along with pegs to stick in it to show how many players you're looking for. As the game fills up just yank a peg down. It might make the "wander though the 8 rooms over two floors looking for an open spot" method less terrible to do. Comedy chain-a-thing-of-pit-stick-to-the-sign-because-holy-cow-those-rooms-gets-stuffy option.

Nullzone wrote: »
    We TT enforcers are actually discussing solutions to this at length, but if you have suggestions please do contribute. We love feedback and anything we can do to make TT more awesome is automatic win.

As far as solutions we have right now, the hashtag #ttlfg on twitter is a go-to suggestion because it's fairly robust and hits exactly the audience you want to hit; we've had mixed feedback on how well it works (I've picked up a good half dozen games through it, while some others claim they've only ever seen 3-4 people using it), but it's a start. Logistics are a concern but we've tried to have a whiteboard for people to write on or a projector showing the #ttlfg tag when possible, as well. Where Prime is concerned, checking out the game you want to play from the library and then just talking to others inside or outside the library is a great way to get a table going; many times the library room fills up and a queue forms outside, and those people often just want to get their game on and don't really care how they do it or who with.

Twitter has worked for me in the past to a limited extent, but there's a very small subset of people that use it out of everyone in the TT area. I chalk that up to international costs, cellphone signals, and the fact that most the population hasn't sold their souls to social broadcasting yet.

I've seen the whiteboard work and seen it fail, as sometimes people put their names on there and then forget. People loitering outside the library that are looking for games is generally good, but only if people are willing to step up and talk to strangers (which most aren't). The best hook ups I saw were when Enforcers took the initiative to get people together. I don't remember who was the most vocal of the Enforcers last year, but I do know that by Sunday his voice was gone :( He would make announcements to the people waiting in line about the process of the library and if you're returning and if you're looking for more players, etc. Then there was a guy inside that was super helpful about describing games and tended to remember people and if they were looking to play a certain game. I know the Enforcers have waves where they go from crazy busy to bored lulls, so going above and beyond to hook LFG players up can be tough sometimes.

This might be silly (and difficult to implement) but a visual cue might be helpful for non-Enforcers to identify people looking for gaming groups. Seeing as most people loiter around the library and TT rooms, someone displaying a "I'm LFG" sign of some kind might make it easier for people to approach them. Also, if the sign is a bit silly & you're willing to do it, you've already broken the ice-breaker barrier. So what could be the sign? One thing that everyone has, or should, is a badge. Maybe wearing the badge lanyard like a headband? Or balancing it on your head? Or just holding your badge up near your face as you wander the TT rooms would definitely get attention. It'd be easy to put up signs in the library and rooms that identifies this sign as a "LFG sign" and soon people would share it via word of mouth. Some people don't have the confidence to approach strangers and say "Can I play with you?" but if you're displaying a clear sign of "I'm open to playing!" they'll probably come to you.

I'm applying for Enforcers this year and hoping to get it, but even if I don't I'd be more than happy to help create signage for a LFG signage/sign, and spread the message via word-of-mouth.

PlaneGuy wrote: »

I couple years ago when the boardgames were in the annex there was an empty table inside the library and reasonably quiet hall outside.

It worked really well, and I played more games with strangers that year than the years since. It was pretty obvious: sit at table = want to play. The hall outside was also nice since if someone was walking or sitting out there, you knew they were interested in tabletop gaming.

The way it's set up in the main WCC, it's intimidating to flag down people in the throngs of PAXer's trying to get to the expo hall or a session or byoc or nothing to do with you and tabletop games and kind of don't care. I've also been told by WCC staff to get out of the way ("this is for people trying to get places") while standing outside the library, though I think they backed off on that last year.

Twitter always sounds cool for people from the US and a good data plan. The rest of the world (me) can go screw themselves under that model, unfortunately. Even if I pay for local phone service, #ttlfg seems to get mixed results... I fall distinctly in the "only ever seen 3-4 people using it" crowd... I dunno if it's some wierd algorithm twitter is using for searches or caching or it's based on your user country or if I'm a bigger twitter dumbass than I think.

BGG.con hands out LFG signs at their library, along with pegs to stick in it to show how many players you're looking for. As the game fills up just yank a peg down. It might make the "wander though the 8 rooms over two floors looking for an open spot" method less terrible to do. Comedy chain-a-thing-of-pit-stick-to-the-sign-because-holy-cow-those-rooms-gets-stuffy option.

COMPLETELY agree, very much what I was trying to say. I know there have got to be places somewhere but with the masses of people it never really looks like there are any tables with a few people playing AND a few seats to spare :/ I know pax has friendly people but its hard to push through the mobs of people only to ask a stranger "hey, what ya playing?", let alone explaining that you have no idea how to play but it "looks cool".

I personally have never wanted to have a twitter account but hey, if it works for getting a game I will!

Uba wrote: »

COMPLETELY agree, very much what I was trying to say. I know there have got to be places somewhere but with the masses of people it never really looks like there are any tables with a few people playing AND a few seats to spare :/ I know pax has friendly people but its hard to push through the mobs of people only to ask a stranger "hey, what ya playing?", let alone explaining that you have no idea how to play but it "looks cool".

I personally have never wanted to have a twitter account but hey, if it works for getting a game I will!

I pretty much never set foot in TT Freeplay last year for a variety of reasons. If a relative n00b such as myself stumbles in is there helpful directions to get us oriented (like "Look for X to find people to play?")or are we pretty much left to wander on our own? I ask because I plan on trying to do more various TT this year.

• CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    The wife an I were going to try to do more TT-Freeplay this year than last year (i.e. >0 hours). Anyone got any tips for us? Last year was our First PAX and while we did play some at the SJG area, we wanted to branch out
    My wife played in the Catan tournament there last year. I figure I'd join her in some tabletop gaming this time around. We're also driving up, so we plan on bringing some games for late night gaming in the lobby of the Sheraton.

• basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    I don't play any at home, don't know people who play, work weird hours. I've played some Munchkin at PAX, I own two sets even, but never use them. This may (or may not) be the PAX when I pluck up the nerve to play more. I hate being the dumbest guy at the table. Though by now I should be getting used to it!

tsrblke wrote: »
    I pretty much never set foot in TT Freeplay last year for a variety of reasons. If a relative n00b such as myself stumbles in is there helpful directions to get us oriented (like "Look for X to find people to play?")or are we pretty much left to wander on our own? I ask because I plan on trying to do more various TT this year.

Enforcers are in the library and will help guide you through renting a game and sometimes help you find people to play with.. but in the past my experience has been that in general, it's up to you to find people to play with. This year I'm planning on being way more active in playing games with strangers and will likely be bringing a variety of easy-to-travel-with games to teach people.

• PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    This might be silly (and difficult to implement) but a visual cue might be helpful for non-Enforcers to identify people looking for gaming groups. Seeing as most people loiter around the library and TT rooms, someone displaying a "I'm LFG" sign of some kind might make it easier for people to approach them. Also, if the sign is a bit silly & you're willing to do it, you've already broken the ice-breaker barrier. So what could be the sign? One thing that everyone has, or should, is a badge. Maybe wearing the badge lanyard like a headband? Or balancing it on your head? Or just holding your badge up near your face as you wander the TT rooms would definitely get attention. It'd be easy to put up signs in the library and rooms that identifies this sign as a "LFG sign" and soon people would share it via word of mouth. Some people don't have the confidence to approach strangers and say "Can I play with you?" but if you're displaying a clear sign of "I'm open to playing!" they'll probably come to you.

I made this for last year, then promptly forgot it in my hotel room all PAX:
    3GMGOl.jpg

• tehKellztehKellz Registered User regular
    I made this for last year, then promptly forgot it in my hotel room all PAX:
    3GMGOl.jpg
    This is awesome, but I'm afraid to click the 'Awesome' button now. So I'm just telling you.

This discussion has been closed.