As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    You know, for the Lord of Terror, Diablo doesn't come off as terrorizing. I mean, what has he really accomplished over the years? He didn't even free Baal, Marius did. If he didn't have the Prime Evil moniker, he'd be Hell's whipping boy.

To be fair, were the roles reversed in that scene, I'm pretty sure Marius would have ended up with a giant flaming sword in his gut. The half-demon, half-man, tortured wanderer, managed to 1v1 Tyreal and not get the shit beaten out of him. That has to rank fairly high up there on his list of achievements.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Crap looking at my emails it looks like I have 3 banners unlocked but I have no way to tell which ones I did.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You know, for the Lord of Terror, Diablo doesn't come off as terrorizing. I mean, what has he really accomplished over the years? He didn't even free Baal, Marius did. If he didn't have the Prime Evil moniker, he'd be Hell's whipping boy.

Well, he mostly tears shit up in between games. 3 is in NEW Tristram for a reason, after all.
    4342 days since the last demon-related accident! *looks at Diablo* Awww... *replaces numbers on the sign with a 0*.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    So, they updated today on the the character name/battletag stuff. Character names pretty much wont be seen anywhere now :(

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4877377880?page=3#58
    Sure thing! When Diablo III launches, your character name will be visible to you in a variety of locations including the character selection screen and game menu. For other players, your character's name will only appear within your player profile, as hover text the friends list, and when your character participates in quest dialog. In every other context, your BattleTag will be shown.

Also, just to clarify, your BattleTag identifier (the numbers appended to the end of your BattleTag nickname) will only be visible in the "Add Friend" dialog and on a player's profile page. When you're just playing normally in a group, your BattleTag nickname should display.

No, but we did miscommunicate, and that's our bad.

To help clear up that confusion, the current design is something we feel pretty confident in. Even after carefully reviewing all of your feedback and analyzing the pros and cons of the system, we found that BattleTags are a better way (overall) to personally identify individuals from game to game, even if they change characters.

It helps players build up street cred, or even the opposite type of experiences where you'd want to avoid another player entirely -- something that would only be possible with an account-wide nickname. As a result, we felt that confusing BattleTags with character names in Diablo III was detrimental to those types of benefits.

We know that some of you may disagree with that approach, and that's totally fine. We just encourage you to give BattleTags a chance when Diablo III releases so you can see how the system works in the actual game environment. You might find that you actually like it! Or, you might not, and we'd love to hear your feedback either way. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

Well, in the first game he was just establishing his power base I think, and in the second game he wasn't really Diablo until he went through the hell portal. We don't know exactly what he did in there but presumably he invaded and took over some portion of it before you killed him.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

To be fair, were the roles reversed in that scene, I'm pretty sure Marius would have ended up with a giant flaming sword in his gut. The half-demon, half-man, tortured wanderer, managed to 1v1 Tyreal and not get the shit beaten out of him. That has to rank fairly high up there on his list of achievements.

To be fair, the body he was inhabiting was no slouch in the power department either, and he wasn't even one of those newfangled Nephalem dealies.

Also he probably had a Godly Plate of the Whale equipped.

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Crap looking at my emails it looks like I have 3 banners unlocked but I have no way to tell which ones I did.

Should be able to tell by the email date, since each class was available for a week.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Skab wrote: »
    So, they updated today on the the character name/battletag stuff. Character names pretty much wont be seen anywhere now :(

Sure thing! When Diablo III launches, your character name will be visible to you in a variety of locations including the character selection screen and game menu. For other players, your character's name will only appear within your player profile, as hover text the friends list, and when your character participates in quest dialog. In every other context, your BattleTag will be shown.

Also, just to clarify, your BattleTag identifier (the numbers appended to the end of your BattleTag nickname) will only be visible in the "Add Friend" dialog and on a player's profile page. When you're just playing normally in a group, your BattleTag nickname should display.

To help clear up that confusion, the current design is something we feel pretty confident in. Even after carefully reviewing all of your feedback and analyzing the pros and cons of the system, we found that BattleTags are a better way (overall) to personally identify individuals from game to game, even if they change characters.

It helps players build up street cred, or even the opposite type of experiences where you'd want to avoid another player entirely -- something that would only be possible with an account-wide nickname. As a result, we felt that confusing BattleTags with character names in Diablo III was detrimental to those types of benefits.

We know that some of you may disagree with that approach, and that's totally fine. We just encourage you to give BattleTags a chance when Diablo III releases so you can see how the system works in the actual game environment. You might find that you actually like it! Or, you might not, and we'd love to hear your feedback either way. :)

He does say they'll take feedback after it goes live, but yeah. I'm just glad I like my battletag.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I'd hope that ancient evil that existed since the dawn of time can equal an archangel at even 1/10th capacity, if not batter it at half strength. The animated short does not support this theory however.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    He does say they'll take feedback after it goes live, but yeah. I'm just glad I like my battletag.
    Well everyone has one free battletag name change anyway. Has anything popped up about simply updating the beta client to play at retail vs a full reinstall?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just to check in, other than going back to look through my email inbox (which isn't a guarantee, since I may have deleted some of them), is there any way on the site to just tell which ones you've done and which ones you haven't? Because that would be convenient as hell.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You need the retail client. The beta client is useless now and should be removed.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular

I have to make one, since I wasn't in the beta. This may be one of my hardest decisions if it will be account-wide for every character I make. Decisions, decisions...

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Well everyone has one free battletag name change anyway. Has anything popped up about simply updating the beta client to play at retail vs a full reinstall?

I don't think that's ever been an option or will be, since they are completely different clients.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Quick question, for anyone who ordered their CE through Gamestop.com, did your card get charged for it recently? Wouldn't make much sense but I'm looking at a charge that is currently pending for that exact amount.

• Options
    b1rdman wrote: »

I have to make one, since I wasn't in the beta. This may be one of my hardest decisions if it will be account-wide for every character I make. Decisions, decisions...

You can make one at anytime in account settings if inspiration strikes.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Wait a minute, I have to come up with a name that's gender neutral. Darn it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Ah yes, Chen's battletag GenderNeut#4232 playing character "FancyMan"

I sure like having to know 3 names for the same entity!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gah, I'll be back tomorrow to check posts. Portal 2's DLC just dropped.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hrm, that quote says battletags and battletag nicknames.

Are they different? I don't see any option for a nickname for my battletag in my bnet account.

I don't like the idea that instead of being Galedrid (or a given character name) I'm going to be seen by everyone as Galedrid#1367

That is pretty stupid and impersonal and is everything I hate about people who have e-mail addresses like <somename>154737 at whatever. It's impersonal and uncreative.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, you don't see the character name, but normally you wont be seeing the #4432 of the battletag, either.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The number identifier isn't seen anywhere, that's for you to give to people to have them friend list you

I still think it's annoying to have the battletag plastered everywhere instead of the character name.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »

You can make one at anytime in account settings if inspiration strikes.

Yeah. I could really use some inspiration for this one...

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Oh, well that makes me feel somewhat better.

Still yeah. I don't like character names not really meaning anything to anyone but you.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer allows you to name individual characters but no one seems them, ever; you're only identified by your Live ID (or origin or PSN). It makes coming up with creative names kinda pointless. Though given how "disposable" individual characters are in ME3 with its upgrade system, its probably worse than D3 could ever be.

Still. Me no likey.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    I'd hope that ancient evil that existed since the dawn of time can equal an archangel at even 1/10th capacity, if not batter it at half strength. The animated short does not support this theory however.

Diablo is considered the most cunning of the three, and usually the one with the most elaborate plans.

So him being beating was probably all according to keikaku.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect 3's multiplayer allows you to name individual characters but no one seems them, ever; you're only identified by your Live ID (or origin or PSN). It makes coming up with creative names kinda pointless.

The best part is that you have to use unique names for your ME3 multiplayer characters, so even though nobody will ever see them, you can't just call each character "a" or something.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I guess I can just make some really offensive character names now, if I want, since they'll be largely hidden from the online world.

• Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Have you guys seen the Wrath cinematic they posted on the diablo site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAPxgMCEA8&amp;list=WL5186A18991F76760&amp;index=10&amp;feature=plpp_video

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Quick question, for anyone who ordered their CE through Gamestop.com, did your card get charged for it recently? Wouldn't make much sense but I'm looking at a charge that is currently pending for that exact amount.

A lot of times they will pre-authorize the funds before the ship out. If they didn't settle it, it will probably stay "pending" for a couple of days, only to vanish and reappear the day they ship it, only this time fully settled out.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I suppose it is for the best that folks won't see my Demon Hunter as "Krunk.Hotpunch"

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    NATIK wrote: »

(VID)

I thought it was interesting how boring they made angels and demons having a war seemed...

• Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

(VID)

I thought it was interesting how boring they made angels and demons having a war seemed...

Honestly, it is not really my style either, but as an introduction to the Angiris council I guess it works, though an explanation for what the supposed trap was would have been nice.

That said I think for the time they had and what they wanted to show it's acceptable and I certainly enjoyed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

He did, while trapped in a soulstone, essentially corrupt the King Leoric and the Archbishop Lazarus so that they sent off their loyal/incorruptible subjects to war with Westmarch as well as give him the body of Prince Albrecht to inhabit back before Diablo 1 started.

On the other hand, the 3 Prime Evils did get their ass kicked by the 4 Lesser Evils.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    On the other hand, the 3 Prime Evils did get their ass kicked by the 4 Lesser Evils.
    I thought it was implied that they let that happen so they could corrupt Sanctuary for use in their war with heaven?

Blendtec on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's a bit frustrating that battletags are restricted to just 12 characters in length.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Vacation has officially started. Spending some time with the GF on Thurs/Friday.

Then it's DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

(VID)

Honestly, it is not really my style either, but as an introduction to the Angiris council I guess it works, though an explanation for what the supposed trap was would have been nice.

That said I think for the time they had and what they wanted to show it's acceptable and I certainly enjoyed it.

I thought the explanation for the trap was easy enough - Diablo was just weakening the council's unity. Inarius (Imperius now I guess) was the one to break.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DestinPsDestinPs Registered User regular
    I have a break coming up as well, from about now until the 2nd week in June (with the exception of working part time)
    I just have to decide how much of my time is spent doing girlfriend things vs. Sanctuary things

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    I thought it was implied that they let that happen so they could corrupt Sanctuary for use in their war with heaven?
    Well yes, that was one of their goals. But they were doing that even without the power struggle. In Diablo 2, Baal planned to corrupt the worldstone with his soulstone and thus the humans, and use that to take back Hell first from the Lesser Evils.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
This discussion has been closed.