As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    If there are PA dedicated crafters, I'm ok with not leveling my crafting for a while. Looking forward to Gnome's "official" crafting thingie :)

I'm glad they re-unlocked all the sigils. I was pretty disappoint when I realized I'd missed DH and Barb, since I'll be playing DH.

For anyone playing WoW who ordered the D3 CE: If you get the WoW Annual Pass right now, you get digital D3 for "free." And apparently applying a CE code later on (after you get your shipment) will credit you 4 months on your WoW subscription. So it's a decent way to play on launch day guaranteed, while still getting the CE. If you're planning on keeping your WoW sub also...

With Mists beta access, and then Mists around the corner... Well I figured that even with D3 imminent, I'm still good to WoW for another year.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    On the other hand, the 3 Prime Evils did get their ass kicked by the 4 Lesser Evils.
    I thought it was implied that they let that happen so they could corrupt Sanctuary for use in their war with heaven?
    Well yes, that was one of their goals. But they were doing that even without the power struggle. In Diablo 2, Baal planned to corrupt the worldstone with his soulstone and thus the humans, and use that to take back Hell first from the Lesser Evils.
    Oh, it is embarrassing that they got beat then. I had always assumed it was part of their plan in some effort to make it less obvious what they were doing in Sanctuary.

• NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aumni wrote: »
    NATIK wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Have you guys seen the Wrath cinematic they posted on the diablo site?

(VID)

I thought it was interesting how boring they made angels and demons having a war seemed...

Honestly, it is not really my style either, but as an introduction to the Angiris council I guess it works, though an explanation for what the supposed trap was would have been nice.

That said I think for the time they had and what they wanted to show it's acceptable and I certainly enjoyed it.

I thought the explanation for the trap was easy enough - Diablo was just weakening the council's unity. Inarius (Imperius now I guess) was the one to break.

Ah cool, I guess I didn't consider that a worthy goal in itself, but if that was his goal I guess he accomplished it.

EDIT: Honestly now that I thought about it, that just makes the cartoon even worse and even more animeish than it was, it seems like a thing taken right from anime that a simple concept like that is so easily broken just because one guy decides to attack.

They didn't even reflect it in the angels, the other angels say nothing, they just float around looking the same, they don't even have faces to have expressions on.

Imperius isn't shown to be corrupted in any way, just very ragey and not a clear thinker, but when has heaven (or hell) shown clear thinking in the Diablo franchise.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed that cartoon but I think it could be a lot better.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Quick question, for anyone who ordered their CE through Gamestop.com, did your card get charged for it recently? Wouldn't make much sense but I'm looking at a charge that is currently pending for that exact amount.

A lot of times they will pre-authorize the funds before the ship out. If they didn't settle it, it will probably stay "pending" for a couple of days, only to vanish and reappear the day they ship it, only this time fully settled out.
    Yeah that was my initial thought as well, but I've never seen them pre-authorize this far in advance before. Weird.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Quick question, for anyone who ordered their CE through Gamestop.com, did your card get charged for it recently? Wouldn't make much sense but I'm looking at a charge that is currently pending for that exact amount.

A lot of times they will pre-authorize the funds before the ship out. If they didn't settle it, it will probably stay "pending" for a couple of days, only to vanish and reappear the day they ship it, only this time fully settled out.
    Yeah that was my initial thought as well, but I've never seen them pre-authorize this far in advance before. Weird.

Best Buy pre-authorizes the day you order, then lets it lapse and re-does it every couple of days, It's somewhat annoying to watch 117 dollars disappear and reappear every couple of days.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

(VID)

I thought it was interesting how boring they made angels and demons having a war seemed...

Honestly, it is not really my style either, but as an introduction to the Angiris council I guess it works, though an explanation for what the supposed trap was would have been nice.

That said I think for the time they had and what they wanted to show it's acceptable and I certainly enjoyed it.

I thought the explanation for the trap was easy enough - Diablo was just weakening the council's unity. Inarius (Imperius now I guess) was the one to break.

Inarius and Imperius are two different Angels.

(VID)

Ah cool, I guess I didn't consider that a worthy goal in itself, but if that was his goal I guess he accomplished it.

EDIT: Honestly now that I thought about it, that just makes the cartoon even worse and even more animeish than it was, it seems like a thing taken right from anime that a simple concept like that is so easily broken just because one guy decides to attack.

They didn't even reflect it in the angels, the other angels say nothing, they just float around looking the same, they don't even have faces to have expressions on.

Imperius isn't shown to be corrupted in any way, just very ragey and not a clear thinker, but when has heaven (or hell) shown clear thinking in the Diablo franchise.

Youre complaining about something made by Peter Chung to be to animeish.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Edit: double post

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular

Best Buy pre-authorizes the day you order, then lets it lapse and re-does it every couple of days, It's somewhat annoying to watch 117 dollars disappear and reappear every couple of days.
    Wow. Yeah that would be pretty frustrating. Alrighty, I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully nothing happens to hose me on this.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

(VID)

Whoops, you're right.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited May 2012

(VID)

(VID)

I am sorry, I don't know who he is but looking at his IMDB he only made stuff I don't like so I guess he is just not for me, I found Aeon flux and the animatrix stuff too animeish for me as well.

I don't really see how who made it change the validity of my complaint anyways, it's a subjective complaint.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

For anyone playing WoW who ordered the D3 CE: If you get the WoW Annual Pass right now, you get digital D3 for "free." And apparently applying a CE code later on (after you get your shipment) will credit you 4 months on your WoW subscription. So it's a decent way to play on launch day guaranteed, while still getting the CE. If you're planning on keeping your WoW sub also...

With Mists beta access, and then Mists around the corner... Well I figured that even with D3 imminent, I'm still good to WoW for another year.

That ended on the 30th of April.

Are you the magic man?
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular

(VID)

Note: Haven't watched the clip yet, but from what I remember from the Book of Cain about Imperius:
    Imperius is basically pissed off that a peace treaty was made between Angels and Demons a long time ago, I think after the Sin Wars or something. Since he's always been RAAARGH WAR! So now he's just Lord dick tyrant

Also, in the Diablo world, Angels are not de facto Good Guys. They're just another faction with their own goals.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide

(VID)

(VID)

I am sorry, I don't know who he is but looking at his IMDB he only made stuff I don't like so I guess he is just not for me, I found Aeon flux and the animatrix stuff too animeish for me as well.

I don't really see how who made it change the validity of my complaint anyways, it's a subjective complaint.

My point was that youre complaining about something made by an anime director to be to animeish.

steam_sig.png

(VID)

Note: Haven't watched the clip yet, but from what I remember from the Book of Cain about Imperius:
    Imperius is basically pissed off that a peace treaty was made between Angels and Demons a long time ago, I think after the Sin Wars or something. Since he's always been RAAARGH WAR! So now he's just Lord dick tyrant

Also, in the Diablo world, Angels are not de facto Good Guys. They're just another faction with their own goals.

Yeah I got that, been my take on the angels from day 1, in fact I find Deckard Cain a pitiful man in the games for that reasons, all his faith in heaven and it doesn't even care about him or his fellow humans, if it wasn't for Tyrael Heaven would have either killed the humans themselves or let Hell do it.

steam_sig.png

(VID)

(VID)

I think his point is that complaining about Peter Chung making something too animeish is like complaining Michael Bay uses too many explosions. It's a valid argument, it's also somewhat rhetorical and pointless, because that's what they are known for. If it was a Peter Chung short that wasn't animeish, that would actually be a more interesting topic.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling

(VID)

(VID)

I think his point is that complaining about Peter Chung making something too animeish is like complaining Michael Bay uses too many explosions. It's a valid argument, it's also somewhat rhetorical and pointless, because that's what they are known for. If it was a Peter Chung short that wasn't animeish, that would actually be a more interesting topic.

That is what I ended up taking from it but thanks for explaining, I don't know the guy so I don't know his MO, but as I said looking at his other stuff it's not a style I like so I will keep this in mind for the future :).

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    That's fair, not everyone knows who Peter Chung or is that he created Aeon Flux and the Animatrix stuff.

(As a side note, I am not a huge fan of his work either, just not my thing).

GnomeTank on
  • erraticrabbiterraticrabbit Registered User regular
    If I could unwatch that short and read a two sentence summary, I would.

All I saw were boring demon designs and SC2-level dialogue. If D3 wasn't about clicky clicky and "look at my new axe in this thing's head" this would be unacceptable

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012

(VID)

Yeah I got that, been my take on the angels from day 1, in fact I find Deckard Cain a pitiful man in the games for that reasons, all his faith in heaven and it doesn't even care about him or his fellow humans, if it wasn't for Tyrael Heaven would have either killed the humans themselves or let Hell do it.

Given that he supposedly wrote the Book of Cain and explains all the above, I don't think he really has faith in the heavens. I think it's just that at least up till now, it's mainly been the demons who've been active dicks towards the humans. I mean, even Inarius, who co-created Sanctuary initially wanted to destroy all the humans, but eventually settled for just taking away their powers and banishing Lilith after Lilith killed everyone to save the humans. As far as Cain's concerned, It's always just been about Tyrael and the Horadrim (of which he's part of) vs the Prime Evils.

Dracil on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »
    WoW Annual Pass

That ended on the 30th of April.

Whoops, so it did. Sorry, carry on.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Gnome Tank, I'm thrilled to hear the RoR app is coming along nicely! I took an RoR class to wrap up my degree and loved it, by now I've forgotten most of it...

In any case, how feasible do you think it would be for us to make a sort of trading post out of it as well as crafting? I.e. I found this +50 Ax of Axening, rather than put it on the GAH/RMAH I might want to give the PA folks at large a stab at it.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Gnome Tank, I'm thrilled to hear the RoR app is coming along nicely! I took an RoR class to wrap up my degree and loved it, by now I've forgotten most of it...

In any case, how feasible do you think it would be for us to make a sort of trading post out of it as well as crafting? I.e. I found this +50 Ax of Axening, rather than put it on the GAH/RMAH I might want to give the PA folks at large a stab at it.

Probably small enough ammount of those to just post em.

Or do a friend list wide whisper, if you can do those on bnet 2.0!!!!! THE FUTURE OF NON SOCIAL GAMING!!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    mr_mich wrote: »

Well, I am focusing on just getting the crafting part if it working before release....but if this becomes a 'thing', enough of one to actually dump energy in to, we'll probably look at more comprehensive features. A giant virtual "guild bank" for all of PA would be an interesting idea.

Plus I'll be open sourcing this relatively soon, so the community will really be able to do whatever they want with it.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You know, that makes me wonder why Blizzard didn't bother with any sort of guild/clan system in D3. Its a fit, probably moreso once they patch in PvP even though that's not my thing.

It just seems like a missed social opportunity.

EDIT: I mean in WoW, you can check any other guild members crafting recipes at any time, whether they're online or not. That alone seems like it would have been beneficial in D3.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    The cartoon today, when exactly does that take place? I'm not too familiar with lore outside the games and manuals. On a related note, can anyone recommend any of the Diablo books?

edited May 2012
    You know, that makes me wonder why Blizzard didn't bother with any sort of guild/clan system in D3. Its a fit, probably moreso once they patch in PvP even though that's not my thing.

EDIT: I mean in WoW, you can check any other guild members crafting recipes at any time, whether they're online or not. That alone seems like it would have been beneficial in D3.

B.Net as a platform isn't getting clan support until HoTS releases for SC2. It's going to be part of that big B.Net update. I would imagine D3 will piggy back that functionality. Just like SC2 is piggy backing the D3 shop code for StarCraft Arcade, which is releasing in patch 1.5 (pre-HoTS).

GnomeTank on

B.Net as a platform isn't getting clan support until HoTS releases for SC2. It's going to be part of that big B.Net update. I would imagine D3 will piggy back that functionality. Just like SC2 is piggy backing the D3 shop code for StarCraft Arcade, which is releasing in patch 1.5 (pre-HoTS).

Ah, I wasn't aware that was something they had in the works. While I enjoyed SCII, like SC I really only played it for the SP campaign, so I don't really follow updates as they are typically about the multiplayer.

Well, that's cool then.

edited May 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    The cartoon today, when exactly does that take place? I'm not too familiar with lore outside the games and manuals. On a related note, can anyone recommend any of the Diablo books?

Well, I definitely recommend the Book of Cain if you like your Diablo lore. Basically explains everything up until the beginning of D3.

Dracil on
    edited May 2012

Well, the fact that it isn't a WoW style profession, and that its just one guy you pump a bunch of gold into, makes it a different sort of system. Everyone will have a max blacksmith. There is really no reason not to.

I don't really see people going around looking for someone who can craft X item WoW style.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png

Well, the fact that it isn't a WoW style profession, and that its just one guy you pump a bunch of gold into, it isn't really the same. Everyone will have a max blacksmith. There is really no reason not to.

Did they outright remove the skill books and such that teach the trainers specific patterns? I wasn't aware this was the case.

Pretty much. For the short term though it's just like speculating on the currency exchange in the hopes that gold will be worth less later on so it'll be comparatively cheaper to max out artisans later.

• PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Is there a site where i can find out how much data d3 requires and how latency dependent it is? Slight issue of not having reliable internet at home till the 31st, short of tethering off my phone's data or living at starbucks.

Decidedly not great, but im evaluating all my options.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
    Praetor wrote: »
    Is there a site where i can find out how much data d3 requires and how latency dependent it is? Slight issue of not having reliable internet at home till the 31st, short of tethering off my phone's data or living at starbucks.

I wasn't paying super close attention to my bandwidth meters during the beta, but I don't remember D3 ever having more than a few K both ways sustained, maybe with a burst here are there. Latency is another issue. It's not terribly latency elastic, and it will rubber band...at least it did in the beta.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So this is probably the wrong thread but, what's this Starcraft arcade you speak of?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited May 2012

Well, the fact that it isn't a WoW style profession, and that its just one guy you pump a bunch of gold into, it isn't really the same. Everyone will have a max blacksmith. There is really no reason not to.

Did they outright remove the skill books and such that teach the trainers specific patterns? I wasn't aware this was the case.

No, the high level plans are still in/still drop. They're all max level blacksmith stuff. But the difference is that in WoW, not everyone is a blacksmith. In Diablo 3, everyone has the same artisans, so everyone is essentially a blacksmith (and jeweler), and everyone will be collecting those plans.

Edit: That isn't to say that I couldn't find one of the better plans and one of my friends wouldnt want me to craft it for him or anything. I just mean that with everyone having access to the blacksmith, the system is more...saturated.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So this is probably the wrong thread but, what's this Starcraft arcade you speak of?

I won't go in to much detail, because we have an SC2 thread...but it's basically Blizzard's total rework of the custom game/UMS system in SC2. Total interface overhaul, plus a system that allows mod makers to actually sell their stuff.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Thanks GnomeTank. That's all I needed. I know we have a SC II thread. I try and follow it, but it moves a bit quickly for me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Praetor wrote: »

I wasn't paying super close attention to my bandwidth meters during the beta, but I don't remember D3 ever having more than a few K both ways sustained, maybe with a burst here are there. Latency is another issue. It's not terribly latency elastic, and it will rubber band...at least it did in the beta.

Crud. Can always buy more data, cant buy faster latency. Looks like camping out at nearby starbucks/gaming at cybercafes it is.

Thanks Gnome.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So when you link a PayPal account to battle.net to purchase Diablo 3 are you giving them carte blanche to charge stuff against it? Or will it prompt for PayPal credentials before other purchases?

Cause it's not like WoW in that it's not a subscription service.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »
    So when you link a PayPal account to battle.net to purchase Diablo 3 are you giving them carte blanche to charge stuff against it? Or will it prompt for PayPal credentials before other purchases?

Cause it's not like WoW in that it's not a subscription service.

When you sign up for a recurring payment using PayPal, you'll know it. PayPal tells you about fifty times you are signing up for a recurring payment. If you are doing a one time payment for D3, it does not give Blizzard carte blanche to your PayPal. Of course, in that transaction, Blizzard isn't the partner I'd worry about :P

This discussion has been closed.