As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm recovering because I've had it turned off for the last 5 years or so.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    So I managed to take out Kangaxx but I lost Jan. Is there another thief I can pick up later on (when Yoshimo is no longer an option?) or should I reload.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    Only ones I know of off hand are Imoen and Nalia, both of whom are inadequate as far as I'm concerned. Exceptionally good Thief NPC's seem almost non existent. :\ I miss Yoshimo already.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    imeon has enough for the traps and doors. can't do anything else.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    So I managed to take out Kangaxx but I lost Jan. Is there another thief I can pick up later on (when Yoshimo is no longer an option?) or should I reload.

Was he just hit with Imprisonment or actually gibbed? If Imprisoned you should be able to get him back by casting Freedom (Either as a spell or from a scroll) in that area - though I'm not sure were you'll find a Freedom scroll in Athkatla. You might not see one until Chapter 5 or so - at which time Jan will have been gone for hours up hours so it may not be worth it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    Hmm - the iPad app is "coming in summer 2012" but they are only now hiring a head writer:
    http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/04/26/announcing-dave-gross-as-lead-writer-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/

I suppose, there's not that much writing to do...

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    hamdingers wrote: »
    Hmm - the iPad app is "coming in summer 2012" but they are only now hiring a head writer:
    http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/04/26/announcing-dave-gross-as-lead-writer-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/

I suppose, there's not that much writing to do...

On the other hand, it's Dave Gross. Perfect, wonderful pick.

huntresssig.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Was he just hit with Imprisonment or actually gibbed? If Imprisoned you should be able to get him back by casting Freedom (Either as a spell or from a scroll) in that area - though I'm not sure were you'll find a Freedom scroll in Athkatla. You might not see one until Chapter 5 or so - at which time Jan will have been gone for hours up hours so it may not be worth it.

The scroll lady in the Adventurer's Mart sells Freedom scrolls.

And if Jan isn't imprisoned and worse comes to worst, you can make a hard save, copy the save file to a Multiplayer game, and put in a new custom thief to replace Jan, Shadowkeeper-ing his XP up to a proper level. I expect Jan's just Imprisoned though.

Also I've been taking a bit of a break from BG2 to rest my batteries a bit, as I was starting to get burned out. I'll probably try to finish up BG2 itself this weekend. I'm not sure if I should clear as much of Watcher's Keep as I can beforehand or not though, considering I don't have SCS Irenicus installed (that fight is incredibly long and incredibly frustrating, and I have no patience for it).

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Couldn't find a freedom scroll but had no problem on the reload.
    Sent in one char to knock down round one then zerked and kept hitting while zerked Minsc with prot undead on him whacked away with Daystar.
    Now it's off to deal with the Vamps with my overpowered level 12 party. Imoen must be wondering where I am given I'm on day 65.

― Marcus Aurelius

Off to Spellhold. Or Watcher's Keep. Probably Spellhold as I'm already too strong.

― Marcus Aurelius

• BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, I just unlocked Storm of Vengeance, but even after resting several times, I cannot find it anywhere on the character in which it was unlocked. Whats the dealio? Can't find anything on google.

Disregard. I am idiot. Been overlooking the spell in my spellbook for a good half hour. Damn I'm tired.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hmm. ShadowKeeper is reporting some weird proficiency numbers. Charname is a dual-classed 14 cleric/9 ranger, and he's got 2 pips in war hammer, club, flail, mace, 1 pip in sling, and 3 pips in two-weapon-fighting. To hit and damage bonuses seem okay in-game / consistent with those proficiencies

In Shadowkeeper, he's reporting 2 in club, 18 in flail, 18 warhammer, 18 in mace (1st class), 27 in two-weapon-style, and 1 pip in sling. What's the deal with the x9 multiplier for some of the proficiencies? Will the game bork out if I reset them to the appropriat 2 or 3 value as part of redistributing proficiencies to weapon classes which I'm using more?

EDIT: Solved. I don't know what's with the weird artifacts with the numbers in Shadowkeeper, but manually setting them to the appropriate value hasn't changed anything in-game, but has cleaned up the numbers in Shadowkeeper. Wasn't a huge deal to begin with, just strange.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Is there a mod to get Yakman from Wathcer's Keep in your party?

This would be the best character mod.

"Sneak away! Sneeeeakyyyy Yakman!!"

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EDIT: Solved. The game manual reports that BG2 applies a -1 penalty to to-hit and damage if you completely lack proficiency points in a weapon. I remember it being like a -4 penalty from when I used to play 2nd edition way long ago; either I'm mis-remembering or BG2 goes easier on us.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited May 2012
    EDIT: Cleaned up, see above post.

Something weird is still happening: No proficiency points in Spear or Short Sword or Mace, 1 attack per round. No proficiency points in Sling, 2 attacks per round. ** Proficency in Halberds and 2-h Swords and Crossbows, 5/2 attack. Are slings getting a bonus attack, or are no-proficiency weapons getting over-penalized?

SummaryJudgment on
    Finally got Imoen back. She's about half a million xp behind but at 1.3 million she'll be fine. Kicked Aerie. Party now is me (Berserker/cleric--idea stolen from korodullin :oops: ) Keldorn, Minsc, Valygar, Imoen and Jan.

― Marcus Aurelius

you should dump whoever you are kicking out for yoshimo before going to spellhold if you want a big exp bomb

Jars wrote: »
    you should dump whoever you are kicking out for yoshimo before going to spellhold if you want a big exp bomb

Yeah. I totally spaced on that.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The clueless noob playing BG1 has cleared the Grimrock distraction out and is back in business. Currently party level 4/5 and clearing out the vast swathes of wilderness at the south of the map before moving on to the next plot point of tracking the bandits.

It's a lot of wilderness.

Met the first fight to repeatedly kick my ass in the form of the vampiric wolves behind Beregost's temple, but it turned out to just be case of approaching from the right direction so they don;t all swarm me at once and actually using a few of my buff spells.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Something weird is still happening: No proficiency points in Spear or Short Sword or Mace, 1 attack per round. No proficiency points in Sling, 2 attacks per round. ** Proficency in Halberds and 2-h Swords and Crossbows, 5/2 attack. Are slings getting a bonus attack, or are no-proficiency weapons getting over-penalized?

IIRC, slings have a 2x per round firing rate, similar to bows. Darts are 3x.

Elvenshae wrote: »

IIRC, slings have a 2x per round firing rate, similar to bows. Darts are 3x.

Headache averted, thank you! This raises interesting questions: Slings or darts also allow the use of a shield. Why isn't sling/shield and one-hander/shield the best thief loadout? Or is it? What's with the popularity of short bows?

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Thieves can only use bucklers, which are equal parts scarce and rubbish, unfortunately. I think there's a single buckler +1 in the entirety of BG2?

Also, the best short bows are more powerful than the best slings. Unless maybe if you've got a belt of giant strength coupled with that sling that adds strength damage. But even with that, you're limited to +2 sling stones for a long time, whereas there are a couple of short bows that can fire +3 or better magical arrows in lieu of using ammunition.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Finally got Imoen back. She's about half a million xp behind but at 1.3 million she'll be fine. Kicked Aerie. Party now is me (Berserker/cleric--idea stolen from korodullin :oops: ) Keldorn, Minsc, Valygar, Imoen and Jan.

Two rangers seem a bit much there, bud, but hey, play how you want. Personally I can't picture a party not involving Jaheira, or sometimes even Aerie.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    I really should have gotten rid of Minsc but I couldn't bring myself to. Party balance isn't really that important as I'm already OP.

― Marcus Aurelius

I really should have gotten rid of Minsc but I couldn't bring myself to. Party balance isn't really that important as I'm already OP.

Level 12 prior to Spellhold isn't that OP. The game was designed for you to be able to handle all the non-linear side-quests early on in the game. Spellhold and onward is where the game gets much more difficult, and many enemies past spellhold can screw you over in one shot.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited May 2012

Two rangers seem a bit much there, bud, but hey, play how you want. Personally I can't picture a party not involving Jaheira, or sometimes even Aerie.

Valygar is so specialized I have a hard time considering him a Ranger. He feels more like a weaker and less flexible Fighter/Thief with a few buffs and no XP split. If I didn't have Shapiro as my third melee and backstabber, I'd probably have Valygar instead.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    I have him dual wielding celestial fury and belm and sneaking around and backstabbing. It's fun and I can't give it up.

― Marcus Aurelius

korodullin wrote: »

Valygar is so specialized I have a hard time considering him a Ranger. He feels more like a weaker and less flexible Fighter/Thief with a few buffs and no XP split. If I didn't have Shapiro as my third melee and backstabber, I'd probably have Valygar instead.

I was more or less referring to Minsc, since you already have a good 2-h tank in the form of Keldorn. You could get rid of Keldorn, but he's basically easy mode with his awesome dispel (one of the reasons I play an Inquisitor myself frequently), plus he can use the Holy Avenger... I forget its real name, but that's what it is.

This leaves Minsc as just another 2-h tank, or a dual-wielding ranger with maces... but you've already got a dual-wielding Ranger, and he's clearly damn good at it.

My general party is Me, Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen, and the 4th and 5th characters are dependent on what I need in my party. I like Aerie a lot because she has the best use out of the Robe of Vecna, since it speeds up the casting time of her cleric spells as well as her mage ones. Viconia is a good Cleric all around, and with Crom Fayer (sp?) she can equip any armor to help with her somewhat poor defense.
    Edwin is probably my favorite candidate as a party member, because he's a freaking nuke with his spells.

I'm rather indifferent towards everyone else, as they have their good and bad points.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    he only has a 3x backstab multiplier I thought

3x backstab isn't anything to sneeze at.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    For a game named after a city I do seem to be spending a vast majority of time tromping through the wilderness. Am I doing it wrong? Should I not be clearing out the wilderness zones and instead get on with the quest? I've been playing for days and the mine is the only real dungeon I've come across yet.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    No, that's fine. You won't even be able to get into Baldur's Gate for a while. The various wilderness areas are there to be explored and exploited for exp so your entrails aren't expelled when you finally get to the city. (The city is composed of six zones, not even counting the sewers, the bridge map, etc., so there's a lot of gameplay there.)

For a game named after a city I do seem to be spending a vast majority of time tromping through the wilderness. Am I doing it wrong? Should I not be clearing out the wilderness zones and instead get on with the quest? I've been playing for days and the mine is the only real dungeon I've come across yet.

Baldur's Gate is more towards the end of the game. Hell, the final fight takes place in a temple underneath it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Korodullin or Demivrvgs - I'm currently using Item Revisions v2. Can I update to v3 while in-game, or is a brand new save necessary? Moreover, what's the process for doing so, and is there a working link? The link for the V3 beta (beta is the latest release for v3?) goes to a dead link on the IR forum for me?

edited May 2012
    I imagine you can update from v2 to v3 without restarting, but it's probably easier and safer in the long run to just start a new game for it. The process for doing so consists mainly of opening your weidu.log file, uninstalling everything in order from most recently-installed to earliest-installed, until you get to Item Revisions, and then install IR v3, followed by any other mods you had installed after it. The actual link to v3's beta is here, from this thread. If that doesn't work, I'll upload my download of it to Dropbox and link that. There's also a set of hotfixes contained at the bottom of the first post in this linked thread that you'll want to grab too and read up on how to install.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Meh, I've been resisting the urge to buy the BG2 pack from GOG for months because of this 'enhanced' release. Given the lack of real updates / screens and the continuing addition of new staffers, 'Summer 2012' looks a bit optimistic.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    so apparently the new content for the ee, one adventure is stand alone (i think you launch it outside of the main game) and the other one is inside the main game.. abit weird.

Deaderinred on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    so apparently the new content for the ee, one adventure is stand alone (i think you launch it outside of the main game) and the other one is inside the main game.. abit weird.

So long as progress transfers freely between them, that works with me. It is kind of weird that it'd be separate though.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i may of read the wording of the tweets wrong, could just mean one separate from the story but still in the same world or maybe takes place after for a for official cross-over to bg2 without needing bgt or romancing dynahier in bg1npc.