As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

found this gif in the D&D avengers thread. was amused.

edit: gif is now a pretty link.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

found this gif in the D&D avengers thread. was amused

Lol....one of my fav parts on the movie...

DJ Eebs on
    girl.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I can't even tell you how impressed I was, I'll probably be seeing this again, and again. So good, so damn good.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Could you two edit that into a libk? I'm fairly sure that's too large to inline

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Young Justice is super good
    I love the season spanning plot

Watch and learn, Loeb

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Goddamn Avengers was amazing. I miss Janet, though.

Also,
    Anyone else thinking that blonde girl in the news at the end might turn into Sharon Carter? Or are they going to hook another SHIELD spy in?

Also, it was kind of nice for Whedon to hook up dialogue jokes and in-jokes for different people to catch. Like while I was bent over with Tony's Life Model Decoy answering machine, my sister and cousin got to laugh at Coulson being in the elevator.

I agree though, it was probably just a LMD of him. Whedon wouldn't let that slip by.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

Also,
    Anyone else thinking that blonde girl in the news at the end might turn into Sharon Carter? Or are they going to hook another SHIELD spy in?

Also, it was kind of nice for Whedon to hook up dialogue jokes and in-jokes for different people to catch. Like while I was bent over with Tony's Life Model Decoy answering machine, my sister and cousin got to laugh at Coulson being in the elevator.

I agree though, it was probably just a LMD of him. Whedon wouldn't let that slip by.
    I think the waitress might re-appear

she seems like she would be cool in a further Cap movie

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Also,

This is

really, really reading into a minor character who is almost certainly never going to be in another Marvel U film

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Also,

This is

really, really reading into a minor character who is almost certainly never going to be in another Marvel U film

Yeah I know

I just liked her

she was sweet, and Cap should have a rejuvenation of supporting characters since he lost them all at the end of his movie, really.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    in the comics doesn't Sharon Carter look exactly like Peggy Carter, just with a different hairstyle?

• Options
    Who knows

if she does, then that is a bit weird

"hey I shagged your grand-ma back in the day, but she is old now. You're what I want now, baby."

very creepy

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Who knows

if she does, then that is a bit weird

"hey I shagged your grand-ma back in the day, but she is old now. You're what I want now, baby."

very creepy

And so...I’m gonna get on this spaceship, and I’m gonna go to Blargon 7 in search of alternative fuels. When I return, 200 years from now, you’ll be long gone. But I won’t have aged at all.

So you tell your great-great-granddaughter to look me up.

Because Adrienne...

...baby...

...I’m gonna want to meet her.

Gaslight on
  • Options

Also,

This is

Really? You sure? They've done a very good job with continuity and blooming little things into very big ones. There's a reason they gave someone specifically doting on Cap so much screen time.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Also,
    It was hilarious and awesome that my entire theater laughed and applauded when Hulk just threw Loki around like a rag doll. "Shut up we're all tired of you now."

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Also,

This is

Really? You sure? They've done a very good job with continuity and blooming little things into very big ones. There's a reason they gave someone specifically doting on Cap so much screen time.
    Yeah the reason is
    she had her life saved by him and is the face that the audience is supposed to attach with the survivors of Loki's invasion. That's why she had the end news beat.

Seriously she is a waitress who got maybe 5 minutes screentime and is named Beth

she is not going to be Sharon Carter or a SHIELD Agent or whatever

that is like saying the janitor who found Banner is going to be Absorbing Man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Suddenly all the pieces are falling into place

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Also,

This is

Yeah the reason is
    she had her life saved by him and is the face that the audience is supposed to attach with the survivors of Loki's invasion. That's why she had the end news beat.

Seriously she is a waitress who got maybe 5 minutes screentime and is named Beth

she is not going to be Sharon Carter or a SHIELD Agent or whatever

well I mean
    is mop was probably pretty absorbent

and @Gaslight, I appreciated that even if no one else did

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Also,

This is

I did wonder about this. I mean, she seemed pretty well cast to me. Plus, her IMDB shows more than a little bit of work behind her. It's entirely possible that Marvel wants some people around for that inevitable Cap 2 stuff where Steve gets to interact with modern Americans who aren't government agents or billionaires.

This is all speculative, but...I could seriously see Marvel setting up some kind of Captain America love interest out of this person.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Watch and learn, Loeb

Not going to happen. Loeb hates cartoons with long story lines. Which is ironic since his most famous work are mini-series.

• Options

Also,

This is

I did wonder about this. I mean, she seemed pretty well cast to me. Plus, her IMDB shows more than a little bit of work behind her. It's entirely possible that Marvel wants some people around for that inevitable Cap 2 stuff where Steve gets to interact with modern Americans who aren't government agents or billionaires.

This is all speculative, but...I could seriously see Marvel setting up some kind of Captain America love interest out of this person.

Cap 2 spoilers
    SHIELD will have a large role in the film. That's why I'm certain Sharon is going to appear. I'd like to see Black Widow or Hawkeye there, as well.

• Options
    Yeah Linespider it seemed exactly like they were planting her for Cap's supporting cast, just like they have been for the last five films or whatever.

Also, the one thing I didn't like about the Avengers is that
    they teased a fastball special with Widow and Cap and didn't follow through.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah Linespider it seemed exactly like they were planting her for Cap's supporting cast, just like they have been for the last five films or whatever.

Also, the one thing I didn't like about the Avengers is that
    they teased a fastball special with Widow and Cap and didn't follow through.
    I kind of think it was their version.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

Watch and learn, Loeb

Not going to happen. Loeb hates cartoons with long story lines. Which is ironic since his most famous work are mini-series.
    Loeb is terrible in everything he does. Why doesn't anyone stand up to him?

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options

Watch and learn, Loeb

Not going to happen. Loeb hates cartoons with long story lines.

Well yeah, that's what I was referencing
    Guy probably hates Young Justice with a passion

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

Watch and learn, Loeb

He wrote Batman: The Long Halloween and Superman For All Seasons. I will always be grateful to him for that, as all comics fans should be.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

Watch and learn, Loeb

Not going to happen. Loeb hates cartoons with long story lines.

Well yeah, that's what I was referencing
    Guy probably hates Young Justice with a passion

I look forward to Loeb renaming all the Avengers to 'Sam' in the new cartoon.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Watch and learn, Loeb

He wrote Batman: The Long Halloween and Superman For All Seasons. I will always be grateful to him for that, as all comics fans should be.

That Loeb hasn't been with us for years. I miss that guy. R.I.P competent Loeb.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm saying Commando and Teen Wolf BEFORE TLB can, neeener TLB!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Old Loeb has some seeds of modern day Loeb.

See the "mysteries" in all of his books from that time.

I remember reading The Long Halloween for the first time right after The Dark Knight came out, after years of people telling me to pick it up. I dug the characterization and art, but man the plot left me wincing a little.

Superman for All Seasons is wonderful, though, because he doesn't pull any of those tricks. If only DC could trade present-day JMS for old Loeb, and vice versa for Marvel.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Old Loeb has some seeds of modern day Loeb.

See the "mysteries" in all of his books from that time.

I remember reading The Long Halloween for the first time right after The Dark Knight came out, after years of people telling me to pick it up. I dug the characterization and art, but man the plot left me wincing a little.

Superman for All Seasons is wonderful, though, because he doesn't pull any of those tricks. If only DC could trade present-day JMS for old Loeb, and vice versa for Marvel.

True. His stories were still enjoyable to read and made some sort of logic. Modern Loeb not so much.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I'm saying Commando and Teen Wolf BEFORE TLB can, neeener TLB!

I WILL MURDER YOU

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Saw avengers, and like most people, LOVED THE CRAP OUTTA IT! Can't wait to see it again, and again, and again. Just wish Thor wasn't once again dedicated to being the "he's so strong he can go toe to toe with a god" punching bag. He's kinda like Vegita in Dragon Ball Z. He's the character writers beat up to show how powerful another character is. Even Chris commented on how funny it was Thor always seemed to be on the receiving end of an ass-kicking. Oh well, it's not like he's actually a god in the movies.
    Gaslight wrote: »

Watch and learn, Loeb

Nope... I liked but didn't love either of them. They barely START to make up for the mess he made of SO many good things.

ALTHOUGH, his name is attached to the new Spider-man show... and I'm digging it! Now if that keeps entertaining me, then I'll start to show some gratitude.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Wishpig:

Avengers spoilers
    Thor seemed to be on the winning side during his confrontation with Iron Man. He headbutted IM a remarkable distance when IM barely stunned him with the same tactic, damaged IM's suit by lightly crushing his gauntlet and remained in the same physical condition he began in with no injuries to speak of.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Not to mention that
    I'm pretty sure Thor was winning his fight with the Hulk before that fighter jet showed up.

• Options
    Not to mention that
    I'm pretty sure Thor was winning his fight with the Hulk before that fighter jet showed up.

Yep.
    Thor was the toughest Avenger IMO. Hulk was stronger, only didn't have his variety in powers with a sweet hammer with magical technological super-powers.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I hate to say this but
    pretty sure if that waitress was supposed to be Sharon they would have gotten someone more conventionally attractive

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Wishpig:

Avengers spoilers
    Thor seemed to be on the winning side during his confrontation with Iron Man. He headbutted IM a remarkable distance when IM barely stunned him with the same tactic, damaged IM's suit by lightly crushing his gauntlet and remained in the same physical condition he began in with no injuries to speak of.

Ya but in the comics...
    Thor can crush Iron-Man with next to no effort. They duked it out for a while, something Iron-Man would have never been able to do in the comics. And hitting Capt's shield with his hammer left all three dazed and confused.Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool with this, in relation to THIS avengers movie. In this movie world Thor is not a god, he's just a really tough alien.

BUT Thor is underpowered in every single appearance outside of comics he's made. That's what's getting old to me. Just one time, I'd like to see an interpretation of him in which he actually seems like a god.

But this is a very very minor pet peeve that doesn't even stem from this film. The movie was simply perfect imo.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Wishpig:

Avengers spoilers

Ya but in the comics...
    Thor can crush Iron-Man with next to no effort. They duked it out for a while, something Iron-Man would have never been able to do in the comics. And hitting Capt's shield with his hammer left all three dazed and confused.Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool with this, in relation to THIS avengers movie. In this movie world Thor is not a god, he's just a really tough alien.

BUT Thor is underpowered in every single appearance outside of comics he's made. That's what's getting old to me. Just one time, I'd like to see an interpretation of him in which he actually seems like a god.

But this is a very very minor pet peeve that doesn't even stem from this film. The movie was simply perfect imo.
    All adaptions power down the incredibly strong super-heroes. In many cases it actually makes the stories better. Comics can go overboard with characters who are far to with levels in power, that's why I liked the Post-Crisis Superman. Flash benefited from being slowed down on Justice League cartoon, same for Kid Flash in Young Justice.

Thor's powers in the films are at a good level IMO.

I did like how Cap's shield ended the fight even if it is a little silly.

Didn't Thor have an enmormous upgrade when he fought Iron man post-Civil War? Wasn't he possessing the full Odinforce at the time? No wonder IM lost, not that he didn't deserve an ass-kicking.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Wishpig:

Avengers spoilers

Ya but in the comics...

I'm
    Not sure that part about Ironman not standing a chance against Thor is accurate. When Thor returned after Ragnorok Ironman seemed to think he could at least give Thor a fight until Thor reveals just how strong the Odin Force made him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Furu wrote: »
    I hate to say this but
    pretty sure if that waitress was supposed to be Sharon they would have gotten someone more conventionally attractive

Possible Cap 2 spoilers
    You'd be mistaken. She was originally going to be Sharon Carter helping Steve track down Peggy, only those scenes got cut. It altered the film into a direction Whedon didn't think fit so it got was taken out. They shot 30 minutes which will be on the dvd. They didn't get around to meeting Peggy. I'm sure this sub-plot will be picked up in Captain America 2, with a recast Sharon Carter.

This discussion has been closed.