As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    There was a dev chat a few hours ago through Best Buy's website. Lot of usual dumb questions with answers we all know, but there was a small change about gems. Apparently now rank 8's will drop in the wild, meaning 729 of the highest quality drop gems to create a perfect rank 14 gem, as opposed to the previous ~20,000 rank 5 drops.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    So when you link a PayPal account to battle.net to purchase Diablo 3 are you giving them carte blanche to charge stuff against it? Or will it prompt for PayPal credentials before other purchases?

Cause it's not like WoW in that it's not a subscription service.

When you sign up for a recurring payment using PayPal, you'll know it. PayPal tells you about fifty times you are signing up for a recurring payment. If you are doing a one time payment for D3, it does not give Blizzard carte blanche to your PayPal. Of course, in that transaction, Blizzard isn't the partner I'd worry about :P

The wording on the Blizzard site was a bit ambiguous but looking at the receipt it was a single payment that was made. I'm not actually worried about Blizzard per se as much as if my account got hacked or something. My PayPal pulls from a credit card so I still have another layer of protection at least.

I guess it is linked now though so I could receive RMAH if I wanted which could be cool.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So when you link a PayPal account to battle.net to purchase Diablo 3 are you giving them carte blanche to charge stuff against it? Or will it prompt for PayPal credentials before other purchases?

When you sign up for a recurring payment using PayPal, you'll know it. PayPal tells you about fifty times you are signing up for a recurring payment. If you are doing a one time payment for D3, it does not give Blizzard carte blanche to your PayPal. Of course, in that transaction, Blizzard isn't the partner I'd worry about :P

The wording on the Blizzard site was a bit ambiguous but looking at the receipt it was a single payment that was made. I'm not actually worried about Blizzard per se as much as if my account got hacked or something. My PayPal pulls from a credit card so I still have another layer of protection at least.

I guess it is linked now though so I could receive RMAH if I wanted which could be cool.

It's not hackers you need to worry about.
    PayPal is awful.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So merchandising, How's the book of cain and steel series diablo 3 mouse?

I am kind of tempted to pick up both.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Praetor wrote: »
    Is there a site where i can find out how much data d3 requires and how latency dependent it is? Slight issue of not having reliable internet at home till the 31st, short of tethering off my phone's data or living at starbucks.

Decidedly not great, but im evaluating all my options.

I wasn't paying super close attention to my bandwidth meters during the beta, but I don't remember D3 ever having more than a few K both ways sustained, maybe with a burst here are there. Latency is another issue. It's not terribly latency elastic, and it will rubber band...at least it did in the beta.
    On the subject of bandwidth consumption.

Connecting from Europe, my ping according to the little UI widget was generally around 220 ms during the open beta, and gameplay felt great – far better than D2's ever did, in fact, despite a slightly better ping back then. Like, if I hadn't known I was playing online I almost literally wouldn't have noticed. I could count the number of time I rubberbanded on one hand as well.

Granted, this is based on a mere two days' experience, and there were a lot fewer people connected than will be next week when the game goes live, but if Blizzard manage to sustain this level of connectivity, I'll be very pleased.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I'm confused about the installer. It's asking me where to put things but doesn't give a default. I tried to put it in a ProgramFiles(x86) folder and it wouldn't let me. Am I installing the game or some kind of installer? I'm confused.

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    did anyone already post this?
    http://youtu.be/LEAPxgMCEA8
    looks like i missed it a couple pages back. but god damn it its cool.

Kharnastus on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I'm confused about the installer. It's asking me where to put things but doesn't give a default. I tried to put it in a ProgramFiles(x86) folder and it wouldn't let me. Am I installing the game or some kind of installer? I'm confused.

You're just setting up the downloader, it will get all the files, can't actually install the game yet.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

You're just setting up the downloader, it will get all the files, can't actually install the game yet.

Thanks. I just made a temp folder and it's downloading nicely. It's times like this when FIOS kicks major ass. Only 40 minutes to go...

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

Thanks. I just made a temp folder and it's downloading nicely. It's times like this when FIOS kicks major ass. Only 40 minutes to go...

And yet you won't play any faster than the rest of us stuck with crappy DSL.

I don't feel so bad anymore. =3

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    They unlocked the classes again for exclusive sigils if anyone is interested:
    http://reveal.diablo3.com/en_US/mark_of_valor/#!/create

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    the_Frollo wrote: »
    it's ok if you freak out a little.

I'm pissed because my roommate and my wife pre-ordered the digital version from Battle.net, but I had to go all fancy with the Collector's Edition. I was going to be able to play with them on Tuesday but not anymore. This is why I can't wait until everything goes all digital.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but you can purchase the digital copy, and after upgrading that to the CE edition they will give you your cd key back from the original. So you can essentially give/sell it to a friend who wants the game and you'll get your money back and also get to play the moment servers go up. This requires you to have a friend who isn't playing on day 1.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    reVerse wrote: »

It's not hackers you need to worry about.
    PayPal is awful.

Credit cards are not a form of protection against paypal. If someone jacks money from your CC from paypal or rips you off, and you contest, paypal just sends you straight to collectors for the amount you contested(after direct debiting the PP account/and linked bank accounts for the amount). Your CC cannot help against PayPal.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Credit cards are not a form of protection against paypal. If someone jacks money from your CC from paypal or rips you off, and you contest, paypal just sends you straight to collectors for the amount you contested(after direct debiting the PP account/and linked bank accounts for the amount). Your CC cannot help against PayPal.

I eagerly await the day someone takes Paypal to court and the Judge says "you're a bank, you have to follow the legal regulations of a bank." The amount of corporate rage will be delicious.

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    am i going to have to stay up til 3 am EST because the servers dont go up til midnight PST?

gonna find more reasons to be angry about this game!!! gonna do it!!!!

still gonna love it...

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    Why does the Blizzard downloader suck so much? I just formatted, and tried to pre-download D3 and install LoL. LoL's downloader worked fine, 2MB/s, without any optimization or port forwarding. I forwarded every single port recommended by Blizzard for ANY reason, and fucked if I can get any connections at all (literally, none work).

Anyone know what I can do to get this thing to work? I followed every piece of advice I could get by google search, nothing works. Please help.

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i don't think you can install d3 until the day before though you can download something else (the installer?)

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    You can download the full game, but it's just not working.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Topia wrote: »

No, you can only download the pre-download, or something.
    The installer download we have now (7GB or whatever) gets 'installed' day before launch, which then properly installs the game (probably a bit more than 7GB).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Also it looked like peter chung's designs, but animation studio looked like the same as the boondocks. I question how much work peter chung does these days, because those characters distinctly had pants, and that man can't draw a pair of pants to save his life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The installer download we have now (7GB or whatever) gets 'installed' day before launch, which then properly installs the game (probably a bit more than 7GB).

Well, regardless the downloaded won't go above 15kb/s for that initial 7GB.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Did you try disabling peer to peer?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Did you try disabling peer to peer?

Yep, I've done everything Blizzard help pages suggest.

• Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    Is there some stupid reason we can't just use the beta client and patch it? Ugh.

9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    I just wish blizzard would let us use the trackers in utorrent again. That ALWAYS worked better. Blizzard downloader is the worst quality downloader I've ever seen.

Guild Wars 2's downloader was perfect. Start it, no issues ever, instant pick-up if you restarted or closed it, and never went slower than 2Mb/s

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    The beta version was most likely a different "branch" of builds than the actual game. By the time the game is done the Beta branch is probably too different programming wise to just patch up to the full game.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    I just wish blizzard would let us use the trackers in utorrent again. That ALWAYS worked better. Blizzard downloader is the worst quality downloader I've ever seen.

Guild Wars 2's downloader was perfect. Start it, no issues ever, instant pick-up if you restarted or closed it, and never went slower than 2Mb/s

This doesn't help you at all but blizz downloader is working fine for me. I just finished downloading at 3MB/s the whole time. I have a router and everything and I just clicked the link and opened it. I'm not very computer savvy at all. Point is; DON'T HATE!

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

.... except the issue that GW2's downloader would only show 1/3 of the speed you should be getting... also, you couldn't save the GW2 stuff in certain places or you would run into admin issues.

That said, the Blizzard downloader is pretty bad. Hopefully, we won't have to download much on the 14th to install the game. There will be a 1.0.1 patch for sure.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    edit: I just got this from reddit. It worked, 5MB/s now

REMEMBER EVERYONE
    If you're downloading VERY slow for your typical connection speed, the following fix might work for you. (It did for me and many others here)
    Open Internet Explorer fuckthatnoise. Control Panel
    Internet Options
    Click the "Connections" tab
    Click the "LAN Settings" Button
    UNCHECK the "Automatically Detect Settings" checkbox.

Topia on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Okay so, I've never played any of the Diablo games before. I have played Torchlight and WoW, so I'm familiar with the concept of "click click click=loot loot loot". I had access to the D3 beta, but only played for about an hour (had too many other games to focus on at the time).

I'm just wondering what there is to look forward to, basically, with the overall game. Is it simply a case of "accept quest, click monsters to death, collect loot"? Or does it run much deeper than that?

I'm also curious about what kind of multiplayer features it has. Are there any benefits to playing with other people, like loot or levels carrying over? I'm thinking this is like WoW without monthly fees, but again having never played other Diablo games I may not be fully aware of the appeal here.

Lastly, do I need to read up on any Diablo lore or timeline to understand D3? Are there perhaps YouTube summaries or other such videos?

I may most likely nab this on launch day, since I'm well aware of Blizzard's presentation, and it sounds like it'll be both lengthy and easy to pick up and play. I would just like to get more personal input on the game so I can weigh my hype accordingly (basically to raise it from "interested" to "holy shit why won't these days go any faster?").

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay so, I've never played any of the Diablo games before. I have played Torchlight and WoW, so I'm familiar with the concept of "click click click=loot loot loot". I had access to the D3 beta, but only played for about an hour (had too many other games to focus on at the time).

I'm just wondering what there is to look forward to, basically, with the overall game. Is it simply a case of "accept quest, click monsters to death, collect loot"? Or does it run much deeper than that?

I'm also curious about what kind of multiplayer features it has. Are there any benefits to playing with other people, like loot or levels carrying over? I'm thinking this is like WoW without monthly fees, but again having never played other Diablo games I may not be fully aware of the appeal here.

Lastly, do I need to read up on any Diablo lore or timeline to understand D3? Are there perhaps YouTube summaries or other such videos?

I may most likely nab this on launch day, since I'm well aware of Blizzard's presentation, and it sounds like it'll be both lengthy and easy to pick up and play. I would just like to get more personal input on the game so I can weigh my hype accordingly (basically to raise it from "interested" to "holy shit why won't these days go any faster?").

Torchlight ripped Diablo off. So if you liked Torchlight you'll like D3. Diablo isn't WoW like at all outside of some superficial ways.

There's a youtube channel someone linked at some point with the entire lore from the games posted. I'll go dig it up.

Edit: Not sure these are the same ones, but:

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular

This is a D3 thread, so prepare for bias. With that said...

D3's not going to have much overlap with WoW. Not just in terms of fixed camera, less cartoony/more visceral themes, etc. WoW has raids with 40 people, multiplayer arenas, and things to keep subscribers subscribing.

D3 has a series of pretty linear quests. The replayability stems from the fact that they randomize map components every time you log into a game. No more running out to the Barrens to grind up boars next to your favorite tree. You'll be navigating, finding random dungeons and side quests, and most importantly encountering randomly-generated mini bosses (rares). The rares are spawned with random affixes, so they'll have their own minions and enchantment combos that can throw you a real curveball.

The whole point of D3 is really to just keep playing the same game, and the same quests, so that you can improve your gear. You improve your gear so that you can...get even better gear faster. That sounds like a facetious way to explain it, but at the core of its gameplay Diablo 3 is fun. Just running around zapping shit is fun. The gear's basically just a way to fill bars.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The reason that Diablo seems so much like WoW is because WoW is so much like Diablo 2.

The first Diablo was a new spin on the classic roguelike games. It had a lot of great atmosphere, levels and loot to carry. Lots of shit could kill you, and easily.

D2 sort of became its own thing. It maintained some of that darker lore, but it is in many ways the ancestor of the loot grind games that have come out in its wake--not just WoW, but Titan's Quest, Torchlight, etc.

D3 really seems like the next evolution of those systems in D2. The same kind loot ground with some of the best features of modern game design. Hell, some systems were completely built from scratch, torn down, then built up anew. The Blizzard pedigree is behind this one, but it's not just reputation, it's a goddamn legacy of not releasing games until they are great. So D3 should be a fantastic experience.

I don't think this story is going to capture some of the darkness and atmosphere that existed in the original Diablo or even what was left of it in D2. I don't say that because of the "lol D3 colors and rainbows" garbage, but because there is a clear focus on the action direction; Blizzard took a significant step in that direction for D2 and they seem to have taken another one for D3 as well. Which is fine because D2 was a great action game, I think D3 is going to be an even better one. It pains me a bit to say it, but you can give or take the lore at this point. It is a tad on the generic side.

Of course, if you were to go back and read the lore sections of the original Diablo manual, and be wowed by them, no one would blame you.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

That's pretty much it. What diablo has historically been (and based on my experience with D3, still is) is the very best example of this kind of game. Diablo 2 launched 10 years ago and to this day no other games have come close, in my opinion. I played the original diablo, and diablo 2 for tens of thousands of hours each. I played torchlight maybe 20, and titan's quest even less than that, and those are the only 2 other games in this genre worth mentioning. Shit I sunk more time into the D3 beta than I did in torchlight and TQ combined and that is the same 2 hours of the easiest, most boring content available in D3.

What you can look forward to is the most satisfying murdering of 1000's of demons. Tons of swag. Tons of skills and runes to play around with. And a difficulty that, if it as hard as they say it is, will be the Dark Souls of 2012. My hype meter for this game is through the roof.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Not to mention... it seems they'll put some effort into making PvP engaging. I'm hoping for some varied game modes for the PvP instead of straight up arena matches. Haven't looked too much into it.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    When I play WOW, I keep getting errors and the game kicks me out. I'm kind of freaking that my computer memory is on the fritz but I run the Windows Performance thingy and it seems fine. Do these numbers look legit enough for D3?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz 5.6
    Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 6.3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.5
    Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
    Primary hard disk 372GB Free (466GB Total) 5.9

5.6 Determined by lowest subscore

System

Manufacturer OEM
    Model OEM
    Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1397 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 372 GB Free (466 GB Total)
    Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
    Disk partition (F:) 641 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 3071 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.8026
    Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
    Secondary monitor resolution 1600x1200
    DirectX version DirectX 10

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular

Multiplayer and Singleplayer in Diablo 3 are fully compatible which is nice. If you level up a character to level 10 alone, you can play it with anyone else (within your geographical region: US, Euro, etc.). Previously, playing offline singleplayer and online were different realms and never could the two meet. Now everything is just online at all times.

You can play with 1-4 players. Playing with other people modifies monsters. They're tougher and deal more damage. I think with the higher amounts of players the number of monsters may increase as well? Diablo 3 is also unique insofar as loot distribution. Each player sees unique loot drops from every monster. Defeating a boss does not mean you have to share the 1-2 items that drop like you might in WoW: instead, everyone sees different loot and picks it up. Loot is still random, so trading might be quite useful after a boss fight.

• Options
    AzreusAzreus Registered User regular
    Praetor wrote: »
    Is there a site where i can find out how much data d3 requires and how latency dependent it is? Slight issue of not having reliable internet at home till the 31st, short of tethering off my phone's data or living at starbucks.

Decidedly not great, but im evaluating all my options.

I played in beta with 350ms latency, sometimes as high as 400, and it played very well. No banding 99.9% of the time. When I did see latency behaviour it was always a momentary spike and I think happened maybe 3 or 4 times in total the space of 2 weeks.

• Options
    xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Gnome Tank, I'm thrilled to hear the RoR app is coming along nicely! I took an RoR class to wrap up my degree and loved it, by now I've forgotten most of it...

In any case, how feasible do you think it would be for us to make a sort of trading post out of it as well as crafting? I.e. I found this +50 Ax of Axening, rather than put it on the GAH/RMAH I might want to give the PA folks at large a stab at it.

Well, I am focusing on just getting the crafting part if it working before release....but if this becomes a 'thing', enough of one to actually dump energy in to, we'll probably look at more comprehensive features. A giant virtual "guild bank" for all of PA would be an interesting idea.

Plus I'll be open sourcing this relatively soon, so the community will really be able to do whatever they want with it.

Hey, if it gets popular, if you open the API for it, I'll write an iPad app to interact with it :D

GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but you can purchase the digital copy, and after upgrading that to the CE edition they will give you your cd key back from the original. So you can essentially give/sell it to a friend who wants the game and you'll get your money back and also get to play the moment servers go up. This requires you to have a friend who isn't playing on day 1.
    Is there an official source for that anywhere? My cousin ordered the CE, but with it being shipped internationally, he's not liking his chances of receiving it on time. If the digital key can be returned after, that would be awesome, but he'd want to be extra sure before throwing the extra money down......

EDIT: Ooop, nevermind, found it - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175421603?page=2#24

Coconut Monkey on
This discussion has been closed.