As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EDIT: Double Post glitch

Godfather on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's just a small technical services contract company. It was technically just me. I've had it forever (www.gonerdy.com) , but never really accomplished anything with it. Then a librarian asked if i could work for her 4 hours a week. She recommended me to another library that wanted me at first 1 night a week. Then grew to 2, and then 3 nights. At that point I had to subcontract out to another guy to cover the original library. A third asked for me, but that didn't work out. But just recently I had a meeting with the consortium that handles all of those libraries, and they asked me to tackle 11 more.

bebarce on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Congrats man. Having your own business and being able to make it grow is awesome. I hope it works out, it sounds exciting.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    That's pretty awesome, bebarce. I hope that it works out for you.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Woooo Beb!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Grats! I'd love to work for myself... Instead I'm working for the largest employer in the world. (us govt lol)

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I want to think that DJRunza guy just doesn't know how to spell "Roomba."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU

header_image_sm.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    This is the biggest 14 year old me question in the world, but here goes.

I took two years of C++, a semester of Java, and some Basic, all over 10 years ago, so I'm rusty as hell. I've played around with RPG maker and while it's nice, the communities out there leave a lot to be desired.

I want to make a game. I want to make a Monkey Island style adventure game set in space. I've got no problems putting in the man hours on the artwork, this is for a hobby, and I don't care if it takes the next five years, but I want to do it.

I checked out the xna thread in G&T and there were a few links, but the OP is pretty dated.

Is there a good resource online for gamedev communities or some getting started guides? The last version of a "game building guide" I owned was the Doom 2 ultimate resource book for making your own skins, which I used to turn the BFG into a power glove 15 years ago...

It's just something I want to come back to, on the weekends in my spare time, not be an overnight millionaire. Any ideas on where to start?

I'm asking here btw because I know some of you got lucky enough to work in the vidya game industry so I figured you might have researched it and G&T doesn't have a chat thread. Also it's scary over there.

: )

are YOU on the beer list?
    edited May 2012
    So I was looking at the local place for some comcky stuff to look at since im trying to learn to ink. Gotta say I was dead fucking wrong about my taste in comix. I guess it helps to understand the challenges and limitations of the medium. 100 bullets and invincible are on my to devour list. i bought book 1 today.

Edit: also hellboy (thanks MD) and transmetro.

ninjai on
    I'm hoping that Castlevania guy finds what he's looking for at the Something Awful forums.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm all for working damn near for free if it's for a known publisher I've met at a con, I've got the time, and they offer profit sharing.

I just don't get people that come to the PA boards and want free art though. Do other forums work like that?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    I just don't get people that come to the PA boards and want free art though. Do other forums work like that?

In the Bebarce Appreciation thread all the female posters log in expecting free lady boners. They usually leave satisfied

I'm all for working damn near for free if it's for a known publisher I've met at a con, I've got the time, and they offer profit sharing.

I think there are places out on the web that operate like that. We were allowing people to come here to promote their project for paid art at one point. But the forum in general doesn't support this at all now. Years ago we had people wandering in a few times a week looking for an artist for their rad new web comic about a couple of guys hanging out on a couch playing video games. Obviously, there's a lot less of that in here now.

I wish I had been around back then. I had visited once when I found the mspa site before problem sleuth even got out of his office, I missed a lot of badass people who used to come here often . Don't remember why it was linked here but I didn't come back for a long time

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I came to the PA because of the battle threads, I stayed because of Metalbourn's mouth poopin'

MagicToaster on
    Good news, everyone! Most famous Bermudian in the world, mega superstar, greatest reggae singer ever, Uzi Mon has made a new video for his greatest song yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThY7iAbyVQ&feature=colike

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that is hilarious.

"for breast awareness"

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I injured my knee pretty bad at derby class today. I pushed one girl out of the way and tumbled and twisted and popped something in my knee and laid on the ground and people had to help me roll over and take my skates off while I was hyperventilating and now I have PTSD.

Well, the trauma part isn't true but efffff I'm so depressed. I just started my run-or-skate-every-day regime and now that's not gonna happen for a while.

At least I signed the lease for my new apartment today!! ... ):

Congrats on the lease!

Maybe you can run/skate on your hands? Either that or is there a pool around? Swimming is a great cardio workout and you wind up working a lot of muscles that you normally don't pay attention.

It is a shame arkham assylum is so short

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Today:
    Delivered sandwich to kevin spacey*, Was given ticket to red hot chili peppers/ sleigh bells show by friend for thursday, was given Sword and Sworcery for PC by other friend. Good day.

*I assume Kevin Spacey does not interact with food delivery people, I handed sandwich to the personal assistant, and saw no spacey. Details, details.

Iruka on
    Iruka wrote: »
    Today:
    Delivered sandwich to kevin spacey*, Was given ticket to red hot chili peppers/ sleigh bells show by friend for thursday, was given Sword and Sworcery for PC by other friend. Good day.

*I assume Kevin Spacey does not interact with food delivery people, I handed sandwich to the personal assistant, and saw no spacey. Details, details.

Sounds pretty cool, even sans spacey.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I injured my knee pretty bad at derby class today. I pushed one girl out of the way and tumbled and twisted and popped something in my knee and laid on the ground and people had to help me roll over and take my skates off while I was hyperventilating and now I have PTSD.

Well, the trauma part isn't true but efffff I'm so depressed. I just started my run-or-skate-every-day regime and now that's not gonna happen for a while.

At least I signed the lease for my new apartment today!! ... ):

Aww, <hug>

Man I've had this stupid joke/comment running around in my head (courtesy of Smodcast) all day today that keeps making me randomly burst out laughing like a moron and smiling like an idiot (which I'm sure makes me kinda look some kind of mentally unstable, since there doesn't appear to anyone else that there's any reason to be laughing about anything, and I can't even explain why it's funny without giving at least a 5 minute long run down of the context of it.

I really hope my co-workers don't think I've completely lost my mind.

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey amateurhour have you checked out this spot?

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-game-making-tools/

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Smodcast is great for that, I still laugh at all the shit in terroist pizza.

edited May 2012
    Iruka wrote: »
    Smodcast is great for that, I still laugh at all the shit in terroist pizza.

"Oh, you sent a pizza to him, eh? He didn't order it!"
    Love that episode.

If you've listened to the newest one, it's a line near the end that had me cracking up so bad:

(if you haven't listened to it, don't read this)-
    "One of my favorites is about a haunted carrot, who drives an ambulance."

"It was pointed and orange, with a green tuft on top,
    when you got it drivin' an ambulance, it just didn't want to stop."

It's a line that makes no sense whatsoever without like hour of preceding conversation (and I'm sure anyone who doesn't listen to the show and clicked the spoiler anyway will be like, "what the hell? Why's that so funny?"), but I had tears in my eyes from trying to hold in laughter from it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Iruka are you on AMERICA online?

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    GUYS/GALS:
    Tom Gabel of Against Me! came out as a transgender. She's changing her name to Laura and undergoing full transition.
    I say good for her, especially being a semi-mainstream artist, let alone the frontman and vocalist of a band. Thankfully the punk community is very accepting and hopefully it'll open the doors for other people to make decisions without fear of persecution.

I gotta say though, if you didnt see that coming after hearing "The Ocean" off of "New Wave," you're thick.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I ordered a salad called south west chicken, which in our usual Australian thieving ways probably relates to the US. If it were south west Australia it would be a bowl of red dirt. Turns out the chicken is perilously spicey. Is there something about the south west of the US that is renowned for spice.....is it the mexican influence?

Siegfried wrote: »
    I gotta say though, if you didnt see that coming after hearing "The Ocean" off of "New Wave," you're thick.

Am I still thick if I didn't see it coming because I've never heard of that person, that song, that album, or that band?

Mustang wrote: »
    I ordered a salad called south west chicken, which in our usual Australian thieving ways probably relates to the US. If it were south west Australia it would be a bowl of red dirt. Turns out the chicken is perilously spicey. Is there something about the south west of the US that is renowned for spice.....is it the mexican influence?

You pretty much answered your own question.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

Am I still thick if I didn't see it coming because I've never heard of that person, that song, that album, or that band?

Being thick is predicated by actually hearing that song... so I would imagine not :P

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Being thick is predicated by actually hearing that song... so I would imagine not :P

Now am I confused- does that mean listening to the song would make me stupid, or does it mean like, it would just make me more voluptuous, or what?

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A little of column "A."

A little of column "B."

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Napp is right!

But shame on you old man for never hearing of Against Me! Damn old people, get off my internet! *shakes glowsticks in disgust*

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    If you're born a boy you're a boy. Even if you have a surgery to look like a girl.

I have no problem with transgender people but I do have a problem with dishonesty.

Especially when I'm drunk and easily confused.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    That sounds like an amusing story. Please, share!

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    For my 21st my dad made me classy as fuck. This suit jacket is amazing.

@lizard eats flies: Thanks, hearing some different viewpoints helps. I'm still pretty young and don't really have a lot of perspective yet though, so I'm staying open to things change in the future, but I think I could live with myself otherwise.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    God, since I've resolved to lose weight I've put on almost 40 pounds. I am sad town.

This discussion has been closed.