As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• CovetCovet Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Covet wrote: »
    Have you considered adding your username to the rim? I do that every year to free up space on the front of the button. In the template, just make sure your text is halfway between the dotted line and the solid line.

I wasn't sure how much room to leave between the lines and the top/bottom of the letters. Will this work ok?
    Captian.jpg

Should work, the templates are really accurate.

Also give me that button right now. Geeeev.

Edit: That's a 1" round though, so the text will be smaller. I've never seen rim text on a 1" round, so I dunno how legible it is.

LOL you should see the other three designs I have. All Marvel. :rotate:

I love the 1" size so I wonder how small it would be...

Ditto what Knight_ said. Do want!

For reference, the text I use is 6 pt. You could probably go down to 5 pt and still maintain legibility since your text is thicker. I'm not so sure I'd go beyond that without seeing a test first. Then again, it does fit in the lines of their template, so you should be good to go. :)

• geekyglamorousgeekyglamorous Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Is it fair to make my buttons "password protected"? Meaning, you have to know the secret phrase for me to give you a button? I'd publicly state it here, on my blog, twitter etc. I just think that makes it more fun than just handing them out. :) I mean if this isn't standard button protocol then by all means I'll just hand them out. I'd rather meet/talk to people then just do "drive-by" button collecting, haha.

• EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Is it fair to make my buttons "password protected"? Meaning, you have to know the secret phrase for me to give you a button? I'd publicly state it here, on my blog, twitter etc. I just think that makes it more fun than just handing them out. :) I mean if this isn't standard button protocol then by all means I'll just hand them out. I'd rather meet/talk to people then just do "drive-by" button collecting, haha.

That tends to be the role of the bonus button.
    My bonus button requires people to give me something from their swag bag, which often leads to great hand wringing and a few moments of wondering if it's worth it, even though I'd take a random postcard and such.
    People are funny like that.

If you don't want to make a bonus button, you can always make it a requirement to learn the name of the person you're giving the button to, so people that don't follow the boards as closely would have a chance at your button.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Enigmas wrote: »
    If you don't want to make a bonus button, you can always make it a requirement to learn the name of the person you're giving the button to, so people that don't follow the boards as closely would have a chance at your button.

As someone who couldn't remember his Boss's name for the first 2 weeks of work, it may also limit the people who do follow the boards but are just aweful with names. (It gets worse the less I see of you in Meatspace, so I'd be lucky to remember the starting letter's of your guys names. Nothing personal, I just have a name block.)

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Another question with the bonus buttons...how do you know who has them? I mean...do you guys just come out and ask if we want to go for a bonus button? Or is it just random that at the moment you say something that works for the bonus ones? Just curious.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    Another question with the bonus buttons...how do you know who has them? I mean...do you guys just come out and ask if we want to go for a bonus button? Or is it just random that at the moment you say something that works for the bonus ones? Just curious.

I freely offer mine and explain the requirements, but some require that you ask them. I tend to ask almost every buttoneer for a bonus when I offer mine.

PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like that idea. Offering up the chance for a bonus.

I got my button up on the site!

I'll be doing a bonus button too. I'll post it's pic when I get a chance.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    My host's (Heroku) tools went down in the middle of me pushing a bad release to the site, so I'm unable to fix it or modify the site so that it's in maintenance mode. I'll have it back up and running as soon as I can.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    I totally want to do this! This will be my second year going to PAX, and last time I went (2010) I kept seeing people with lanyards full of buttons and I wondered where they got them all! I was so jealous. Now to just think of a good design or two...

Bonus button!
    Now to figure out what to challenge to get it...

major thanks to @Knight_ for all his help!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks @Enigmas

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    Issues should be resolved, and there may be some weirdness while caches clear. Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary.

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I still can't believe so many people already have buttons! >.<

My bonus buttons are just leftovers from last year but I have no clue what to do this year... Totoro reference? Dirty geek jokes? Hmmm..

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Thanks for the input everyone :)

• OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    I was thinking about doing an ultra rare run of a design, probably 20, that would include a free download code for my game. Would this be bad form among butoneers?

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing an ultra rare run of a design, probably 20, that would include a free download code for my game. Would this be bad form among butoneers?

I don't think it'd be "badform" but it'd go fast. Last year I had distributed 20 buttons before I even got to PAX! Maybe up the numbers to something that wouldn't run out in the first day but wouldn't last til the meetup?

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    Tar3820 wrote: »

I don't think it'd be "badform" but it'd go fast. Last year I had distributed 20 buttons before I even got to PAX! Maybe up the numbers to something that wouldn't run out in the first day but wouldn't last til the meetup?

I have my regular buttons that I'm ordering 250 of. The super rare ones would require someone to know maybe a secret password to receive. Much as I'd love to I can't put codes on all my pins.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    I have my regular buttons that I'm ordering 250 of. The super rare ones would require someone to know maybe a secret password to receive. Much as I'd love to I can't put codes on all my pins.

Ahh.. well I think if they're bonus buttons it's fine? Super extra awesome bonus of.. um.. AWESOME. I was thinking they were main buttons and that would give me a sad.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i am having the hardest time figuring out a design.

I'm seriously thinking of just using the butterfly over there or my other Koru that I had for a while.

because ugh.

my creativity juices are just being absorbed in the yarn I do my crocheting with I think.

Maybe I'll do 30 and limit 10 per day, that way there's an opportunity for fellow Buttoneers to get one every day. When we get closer to PAX ill post clues to where the password can be found, as long as I'm not breaking any rules.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There, problem solved.

I just loved my design from 2010 so much that I decided to stick with it.

Only sepia'd!

To match the Forum badges, of course.

Not sure on how many though. Probably only going to get 50.
    abb12.png

There, problem solved.

Only sepia'd!

abb12.png

I noticed that when you uploaded your button to Buttoneering! that you still had the template lines on your image. Be sure to remove those before you send your image off to print. They're meant as guidelines, and are not supposed to be present on the final image.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    There, problem solved.

Only sepia'd!

abb12.png

I noticed that when you uploaded your button to Buttoneering! that you still had the template lines on your image. Be sure to remove those before you send your image off to print. They're meant as guidelines, and are not supposed to be present on the final image.

Oh! That's good to know. I will have to go in a remove the extra background I have behind the blue area in the template.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    edited May 2012
    So another dumb question. Has anyone ever paid for the clear acetate finish so it has that metallic look to it? Was wondering if it might give my Capt America shield a wow factor. ;)

adias.angel on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular

That tends to be the role of the bonus button.
    My bonus button requires people to give me something from their swag bag, which often leads to great hand wringing and a few moments of wondering if it's worth it, even though I'd take a random postcard and such.
    People are funny like that.

What Enigmas said. :) You of course can set whatever requirements you wish, but do consider that a lot of button trading is in the hallway, in lines, and other "in passing" sorts of contexts that might limit how much time you have for interaction. I've had quite a few "Buttons?" calls as I passed someone and we just barely had time to circle and swap before continuing on our way. That's not the rule for every swap, but it does seem to happen often enough that it's something to consider - especially in having a few buttons readily available that don't take a lot of time to disconnect. :) I wear my old ren faire pouch on my belt and keep buttons in there so I just have to open the flap and grab one.

Additionally, just because someone might recognize you as a Buttoneer doesn't meant that they'll connect the button to the forum name and thus to the requirement for a password, or that they'll remember it at the exact time. I know I wouldn't. :) I like the idea of asking something for a bonus button and have gladly participated in the past - trading a piece of swag, taking a photo with a wooden mustache, answering random Star Trek trivia, etc - and at least for me, I"d rather give out something that any Buttoneer can have a chance to earn, even if they don't check the forums or subscribe to forumer's twitter feeds. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    So another dumb question. Has anyone ever paid for the clear acetate finish so it has that metallic look to it? Was wondering if it might give my Capt America shield a wow factor. ;)

I think that's new this year, so you'd be the first.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I know that the Elite Four over on the PAX Pokemon League has been using it for awhile (I think). Maybe ask @thespiffyneostar about it?

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.

I know that the Elite Four over on the PAX Pokemon League has been using it for awhile (I think). Maybe ask @thespiffyneostar about it?

Thanks! I just PM'ed him.

Ok, I got to thinking on my clue/requirement for my bonus button. Since its a Firefly button I wanted to do something Browncoatey. Something that would be recognizable but not so obvious that I'd run out on day one.
    So I thought of two things, singing/humming part of the 'Hero of Canton' lyrics. Or asking if they know who the Hero of Canton is.
    Is that vague enough, but still good?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    alegria wrote: »
    Additionally, just because someone might recognize you as a Buttoneer doesn't meant that they'll connect the button to the forum name and thus to the requirement for a password, or that they'll remember it at the exact time. I know I wouldn't. :) I like the idea of asking something for a bonus button and have gladly participated in the past - trading a piece of swag, taking a photo with a wooden mustache, answering random Star Trek trivia, etc - and at least for me, I"d rather give out something that any Buttoneer can have a chance to earn, even if they don't check the forums or subscribe to forumer's twitter feeds. :)

That makes sense, thank you for the input. :)

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    It's going to be my first time at PAX and I'm thinking of getting in on buttoneering. Not really gaming related, but what do you guys think of a Wilderness Explorers button? Or a grape soda button? I really loved the movie Up and came across some concept art for these the other day, which spurred the idea.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    kemikal wrote: »
    It's going to be my first time at PAX and I'm thinking of getting in on buttoneering. Not really gaming related, but what do you guys think of a Wilderness Explorers button? Or a grape soda button? I really loved the movie Up and came across some concept art for these the other day, which spurred the idea.

I would love to collect either of those! If I can do a Capt. America one, then I do see why no up inspired one. ;)

Added a NSFW warning to the OP. (Thanks Covet and Djiem :-P)
    kemikal wrote: »

Make whatever you want! It just needs to be yours, not necessarily something other people like.

• CovetCovet Registered User regular
    Added a NSFW warning to the OP. (Thanks Covet and Djiem :-P)

<3<3<3

:D:D:D

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Ok, I got to thinking on my clue/requirement for my bonus button. Since its a Firefly button I wanted to do something Browncoatey. Something that would be recognizable but not so obvious that I'd run out on day one.
    So I thought of two things, singing/humming part of the 'Hero of Canton' lyrics. Or asking if they know who the Hero of Canton is.
    Is that vague enough, but still good?

That sounds fantastic. :) I will totally tell you who the Hero of Canton is in return for a Firefly button.

The question for my bonus button will be "How are Ezri and Curzon related?" :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    haha, sounds good. I figure its easier to slip into conversation than bursting out in song. Though, that could be fun...

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    edited May 2012
    I finally got all my buttons from last year on my scarf to hang. I had no idea what a challenge it was going to be to fit them all on this year. I feel like this year I'm going to need a beach towel.

top.jpg

Here's the full size link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AWni_cscmoSbnwEw35uosr3lsfBXCLqpSrTwdFD1Lgc?feat=directlink

Enigmas on

• mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    Covet wrote: »
    For reference, the text I use is 6 pt. You could probably go down to 5 pt and still maintain legibility since your text is thicker. I'm not so sure I'd go beyond that without seeing a test first. Then again, it does fit in the lines of their template, so you should be good to go. :)

Very helpful. Can I ask what font you used? It looks like Arial, to my untrained eye.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
    There, problem solved.

Only sepia'd!

abb12.png

oh crap i forgot about that.....

hmmmm.

now how did i do those changes.

alright! back to the artists board! (the colors might vary slightly)

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I'm making some key rings as well - only a dozen or so, I'll post pics when they're done. I think there will be for anyone who makes obscure Dr Who references!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
This discussion has been closed.