As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Sparta pretty much had an entire class of people they could kill at any time, and did so, like randomly, to sow confusion and fear among the underclass. For instance any gathering of 3 or more of the underclass (name escapes me at the moment), would often be randomly attacked and killed by Spartan soldiers in training.

It was totally legal and encouraged. Not surprisingly this underclass tried to kill all the Spartans when a massive earthquake almost wiped them out.

I love 300 tho, lotsa fun. I also snickered at the "Greeks, those boy lovers!?!?!" given that Sparta was the most flamboyantly and intrinsicly homosexual society the world has ever seen. Pretty much marraige and family were considered dangerous distractions from loyalty to the state, said loyalty was kept by having all the soldiers fall in love with their officers.

Sparta is the society other Greek societies thought was weird, and with good reason. Also the weirdo fundie conservatives of Greek states looooved Sparta for the purity of its man-boy love.

Amazingly though I still unashamedly love 300.

helots?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Sparta pretty much had an entire class of people they could kill at any time, and did so, like randomly, to sow confusion and fear among the underclass. For instance any gathering of 3 or more of the underclass (name escapes me at the moment), would often be randomly attacked and killed by Spartan soldiers in training.

It was totally legal and encouraged. Not surprisingly this underclass tried to kill all the Spartans when a massive earthquake almost wiped them out.

I love 300 tho, lotsa fun. I also snickered at the "Greeks, those boy lovers!?!?!" given that Sparta was the most flamboyantly and intrinsicly homosexual society the world has ever seen. Pretty much marraige and family were considered dangerous distractions from loyalty to the state, said loyalty was kept by having all the soldiers fall in love with their officers.

Sparta is the society other Greek societies thought was weird, and with good reason. Also the weirdo fundie conservatives of Greek states looooved Sparta for the purity of its man-boy love.

Amazingly though I still unashamedly love 300.

helots?

Very likely! Sounds right, im doing Roman History, I've always struggled with Greek history
    tumblr_m3dfduHT2i1r89soqo1_1280.jpg

DAMN GREEKS, FUCK EM

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    while despero is cool

you would just use darkseid
    I love Darkseid

but I'd want him done proper, 4th World and all, and there is no goddamn way that would fly in an intro Justice League film nor any film at all, realistically.

so why change him into a generic alien conqueror when you have a villain who can put up a similar challenge who is an alien conqueror

what does he need to be done properly?

like, you can establish pretty quickly that he's both a space god and the physical incarnation of evil. honestly you achieve most of that just with the visual of apokolips moving into earth orbit. i know there's a fuckton of new gods stuff but i think darkseid works just fine without it.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I would argue that Darkseid is actually better without all the New God baggage

Kirby is fun as hell but it is impossible to take a lot of his stuff seriously

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I feel like the Justice League movie more or less has to be Darkseid, hey. Like I'm sure you've thought about this and have some solid reasons why not, but also, who the fuck is Despero?

also the Flash has a great rogue's gallery of Spiderman villains. the problem is that he's the Flash. that said the three you mentioned are pretty fantastic and could probably give the dude a run for his money. if you're going balls-out silver age i'd also be tempted to use Gorilla Grodd.
    250px-Despero.JPG
    Despero is an alien from the planet Kalanor, and in addition to a genius intellect possesses a third eye on his forehead capable of mind control, illusions, telekinesis, and telepathy. Despero is also empowered by the "Flame of Py'tar", a mystical source of power that grants superior strength, durability, and the ability to alter his mass (from human-sized to massive).
    Basically Martian Manhunter with a splash of Hulk and a history as an alien warlord

I think it was something of a rhetorical question

public awareness of Despero is next to zero

Public Awareness of Loki?

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

why the fuck would you put a spoiler in a post I'm going to have to quote

I haven't seen the avengers yet, guy

Why are you quoting posts with spoilers if you haven't seen the movie? He already hid the spoiler behind the tags, it's not his responsibility to prescreen his posts against a list of people who have and haven't seen the Avengers. He took his steps to prevent you from getting spoiled, but you need to do your part too.

Also that spoiler is bullshit, by the by. Completely made up. Real spoiler below. Don't quote this post!
    I'm trying to fool him so he'll actually be surprised in the movie. It's a dumb idea, but play along. ;)

Undead Scottsman on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I feel like the Justice League movie more or less has to be Darkseid, hey. Like I'm sure you've thought about this and have some solid reasons why not, but also, who the fuck is Despero?

also the Flash has a great rogue's gallery of Spiderman villains. the problem is that he's the Flash. that said the three you mentioned are pretty fantastic and could probably give the dude a run for his money. if you're going balls-out silver age i'd also be tempted to use Gorilla Grodd.
    250px-Despero.JPG
    Despero is an alien from the planet Kalanor, and in addition to a genius intellect possesses a third eye on his forehead capable of mind control, illusions, telekinesis, and telepathy. Despero is also empowered by the "Flame of Py'tar", a mystical source of power that grants superior strength, durability, and the ability to alter his mass (from human-sized to massive).
    Basically Martian Manhunter with a splash of Hulk and a history as an alien warlord

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

Why are you quoting posts with spoilers if you haven't seen the movie? He already hid the spoiler behind the tags, it's not his responsibility to prescreen his posts against a list of people who have and haven't seen the Avengers. He took his steps to prevent you from getting spoiled, but you need to do your part too.

Also that spoiler is bullshit, by the by. Completely made up. Real spoiler below. Don't quote this post!
    I'm trying to fool him so he'll actually be surprised in the movie. It's a dumb idea, but play along. ;)
    I'm not sure how to play along without making it obvious this isn't for real so I'm just gonna post something behind a spoiler.

Quire.jpg
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular

250px-Despero.JPG

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

I'm not sure how to play along without making it obvious this isn't for real so I'm just gonna post something behind a spoiler.

Bruce Banner
    is revealed as the last living targaryen and promises to retake his throne with fire and blood.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, took a quick looky-loo at the Justice League toon episode guide and here are the threats they faced. (Spoilers if you haven't seen the series yet)
    -Random Alien Invasion based loosely on the white martians
    -The Manhunters
    -Aquaman/Ocean Master
    -The Injustice Gang
    -Felix Faust/Hades
    -Mongul
    -Gorilla Grodd
    -Aresia and the Injustice Gang
    -Morgaine Le Fey
    -Metamorpho (Sorta)
    -Future-teched Nazi's in WW2 lead by Vandal Savage
    -Brianiac/Darkseid
    -Amazo (Hmm...., this might be an interesting choice. Movie needs more though.)
    -Doctor Destiny
    -Vandal Savage (Again)
    -Despero
    -Justice Lords (Tyrant version of the Justice League from a parallel universe)
    -Ancient Possessing artifact from a now-extinct race of snake men who wish death to all humanity
    -Igthluhu (Cthulhu knockoff)
    -Grodd's Secret Society
    -Random collection of guys pissed off at Superman
    -Joker and the Royal Flush Gang
    -Alien Invasion of the Thanagarians
    -The Annihilator (Is this a Destroyer ripoff or vice versa. Invincible suit of armor made by an ancient civilizations gods...)
    -Circe
    -Powergirl/CADMUS
    -Ultimen
    -Alien Invasion of Robot Bugs
    -Supe'd up Soloman Grundy
    -Chronos
    -Doomsday
    -Shadow Thief
    -Deimos (Guy in the center of the earth savage land area)
    -The General
    -The Fatal Five
    -Alien Invasion via Darkseid

• RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    well the Annihalator is different because it is fueled by
    human anger

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The royal flush gang seems to be a better villain in BAtman beyond than in the normal? or whatever you want to call it era

I do want to get the collection of Justice League but it's either the usual amazon rollercoaster prices or questionable copies

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    All this talk makes me realise that other than Batman's iconic foes, Lex Luthor, and maybe a handful of other Superman rogues, I can't think of a single DC villain. And it's not like I'm an ignorant non-comic guy or anything. I've read my fair share of comics; just mostly either Marvel or Vertigo imprints. I've read Killing Joke and Year One and Red Son and For Tomorrow. But in that list of JLA foes, once you take out historical figures, I know maybe 3 of those dudes. Once you take out Batman foes, literary figures and Brainiac, I'm down to like, one.
    I wasn't aware 300 was supposed to be historically accurate

Like I knew about the actual battle but around the time they depicted Xerxes as 15 feet tall I figured it might be a bit of a dramatization

snyder has said that the film is totally accurate as far as the events went

which, as I understand it, is mostly true, but leaves out things like:

1) thermopylae wasn't a terribly important battle

2) themistocles, athenian admiral, was waging war right next to Leonidas, in the sea, with a similarly-sized force of untrained citizen-sailors. and he was doing it better.

3) Sparta, glorious Sparta, was one of the most brutal slave societies in history

4) the battle shown at the very end, which I forget the name of, had more Athenians involved than Spartans, and it was the Athenians who turned the Persian flank. they're the real heroes. but it's kind of academic since, as I said above, this battle was also basically irrelevant; it was just a mopping-up action against forces that Xerxes had already abandoned (because the Athenian navy had already beaten his fleet).

Point 1 is wrong. Thermopylae was of critical strategic importance.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    while despero is cool

I love Darkseid

but I'd want him done proper, 4th World and all, and there is no goddamn way that would fly in an intro Justice League film nor any film at all, realistically.

so why change him into a generic alien conqueror when you have a villain who can put up a similar challenge who is an alien conqueror

like, you can establish pretty quickly that he's both a space god and the physical incarnation of evil. honestly you achieve most of that just with the visual of apokolips moving into earth orbit. i know there's a fuckton of new gods stuff but i think darkseid works just fine without it.

They already did a live-action 4th World movie in 1987:

M-0013_Masters_of_the_Universe_quad_movie_poster_l.jpg

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Fishman wrote: »
    All this talk makes me realise that other than Batman's iconic foes, Lex Luthor, and maybe a handful of other Superman rogues, I can't think of a single DC villain. And it's not like I'm an ignorant non-comic guy or anything. I've read my fair share of comics; just mostly either Marvel or Vertigo imprints. I've read Killing Joke and Year One and Red Son and For Tomorrow. But in that list of JLA foes, once you take out historical figures, I know maybe 3 of those dudes. Once you take out Batman foes, literary figures and Brainiac, I'm down to like, one.
    I wasn't aware 300 was supposed to be historically accurate

Like I knew about the actual battle but around the time they depicted Xerxes as 15 feet tall I figured it might be a bit of a dramatization

snyder has said that the film is totally accurate as far as the events went

which, as I understand it, is mostly true, but leaves out things like:

1) thermopylae wasn't a terribly important battle

2) themistocles, athenian admiral, was waging war right next to Leonidas, in the sea, with a similarly-sized force of untrained citizen-sailors. and he was doing it better.

3) Sparta, glorious Sparta, was one of the most brutal slave societies in history

4) the battle shown at the very end, which I forget the name of, had more Athenians involved than Spartans, and it was the Athenians who turned the Persian flank. they're the real heroes. but it's kind of academic since, as I said above, this battle was also basically irrelevant; it was just a mopping-up action against forces that Xerxes had already abandoned (because the Athenian navy had already beaten his fleet).

Point 1 is wrong. Thermopylae was of critical strategic importance.

It was, but im pretty sure it wasnt decisive in the overall war, and had basically already been lost, the Spartans could've retreated and the war would've had the same outcome.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I feel like while it would never be allowed to get off the ground, my dream Flash movie would really just be two hours of the "Flash & Substance" episode of JLU, where the rogues try and get one off on him, but all kind of know that they're going to lose.

I love the Flash rogues for that reason.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Also what is this hate on for 300?

Its a fun film.

yeah, it's fun and entertaining and that's fine

but it's got problems with historical accuracy and how it glorifies the warrior-cult of Sparta

example: there's that scene where Leonidas makes fun of the Athenians for having brought fewer soldiers than he did

but that scene makes no sense, since the Athenian non-professional army had, ten years before the events of the film, kicked the shit out of the Persians (made up of professional soldiers like the Spartans) at Marathon

basically the story ignores or lies about a lot of history in order to glorify spartan machismo

source, with lots more: http://davidbrin.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/move-over-frank-miller-or-why-the-occupy-wall-street-kids-are-better-than-spartans/

Wait wait wait

Wait

Are you really one of those guys? This is why you don't like it?

You.......you realize that the over-the-top completely historically inaccurate nature of the story was intentional right? The director, multiple writers and author of the original graphic novel straight up told a shit ton of interviewers that it wasn't supposed to be realistic at all. At all. It was supposed to be conveying a fable. It was supposed to be akin to a legend storytellers tell their brethren back in the day to help teach a lesson or motivate troops or whatever.

Did you hate Starship Troopers because it was terrible at being a serious action film as well?

I am shocked. Shocked!

Godfather on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    and and public awareness of Loki, Red Skull, Whiplash, Iron Monger
    Thanos
    and Abomination are so high

how popular a villain is isn't a big deal, since only like 2-3 bad guys in all of comics are super popular with more than just the readers.

hey, you don't have to convince me

I'm all for obscure villains

put fuckin' Crazy Quilt in the next Batman movie

it's film execs who have to be convinced

edit: and also don't put an unnecessary spoiler in a post I'm going to quote

I haven't seen the Avengers, dude, you kind of just fucked that up for me

They can be convinced. The villains in Justice League: Mortal were
    Maxwell Lord & Talia al Ghul. Hardly well known characters to the public.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Really I would have the Justice League movie introduce Despero to a universe that is pretty similar to our own other than the superhumans running around

he would be the first outright supervillain, dudes like Superman and Batman had been stopping normal crimes up until he shows up

then when he is beaten have what's left of his fleet just shatter and break up all over Earth

the debris is quickly looted and scavanged and the experimental alien tech is what causes the first generation of supervillains to rise up

Wonder Woman would have Vandal Savage, who has been content to not really draw attention to himself but everything has gotten so interesting and he is so bored that he decides to have a little fun.

Superman would be Metallo, but with Luthor simmering in the background.

Flash would have a group of Rogues instead of just one villian. I'd go with Captain Cold, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master.

Green Lantern would be anyone but Sinestro. Maybe Lobo, presented as a straight up malicious alien mercenary instead of FRAG ME FOR A BASTICH

Batman would do Riddler, as Nolan hasn't used him yet and it would keep from retreading any of his films.

Aquaman would be Black Manta because that's really about all you've got, sadly.

Martian Manhunter wouldn't get a solo movie, as his origin would be the Justice League film.

then JL 2 would be the Legion of Doom bringing them all together via Brainiac.

This has been Blank's idea for a DC Movieverse.

I'm like 99% in favor of this idea

But I do not think Lobo should ever be taken seriously, because it would defeat the purpose of the character

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I would watch a Lobo vs Guy Gardner movie.

i suppose the problem with the flash movie is that he is probably the superhero who makes the least amount of sense

i mean i think he's awesome but it's always been hard to reconcile 'can run at the speed of light' with any kind of coherent narrative that isn't over in under a second

and also you have to figure out how to represent the dude moving in a way that doesn't look weird in film

i mean in theory i'd want to use one of the villains who runs as fast as the flash can, so in the climactic battle they race around the world. but that's zoom and zoom isn't great.

That's why they'd lower his speed, use his powers creatively, retool the concept that works well in live action & amplify his villains accordingly.
    while despero is cool

Darkseid's not someone you start with. He's something to build up to for sequels, like
    Thanos in Avengers, there's a reason they start with Loki.

edited May 2012
    When I was a kid and did not get the subtext of Starship Troopers at all it annoyed me to no-end how shitty the humans were at fighting the bugs. I was like "JUST BOMB THEM!" I was a little neck-beard in the making.

Prohass on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I feel like while it would never be allowed to get off the ground, my dream Flash movie would really just be two hours of the "Flash & Substance" episode of JLU, where the rogues try and get one off on him, but all kind of know that they're going to lose.

I love the Flash rogues for that reason.

That is the best episode of JLU.

Also, Manapul draws an amazing flash. That annual cover is incredible.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    When I was a kid and did not get the subtext of Starship Troopers at all it annoyed me to no-end how shitty the humans were at fighting the bugs. I was like "JUST BOMB THEM!" I was a little neck-beard in the making.

You and me bro, you and me

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    starship troopers is a pretty awful movie
    it is pretty much pretty nazis vs the viet cong, except the viet cong are weird bugs and the big bugs can shit lasers or something

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    starship troopers fucking rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

it is pretty much pretty nazis vs the viet cong, except the viet cong are weird bugs and the big bugs can shit lasers or something

It's a satire. Much better than the book it's adapting.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

You mean in the incredibly awesome fashion that it ended, since new frontier the movie and the graphic novel were fucking fantastic?

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

hi hello my name is douglas and I don't get jokes

7656367.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I didn't know the Viet cong could hurl asteroids towards other planets.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

How do you do Darkseid without "New Gods baggage"?

That's like doing Superman without "Krypton baggage".

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Uuugh how soon can I see Avengers again

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Shows what you know

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

Shows what you know

What did you think Platoon was all about

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

fair enough

Also you have no idea how much I hate that Zod is in this fucking movie.

what's your beef with Zod?

I mean I don't think he's been a very good villain thus far but there's precedent for his appearance and I don't think there's anything intrinsic to the character that necessarily means he's shite
    There are only two superman villains Zod and Luthor.

As far as movies are concerned at least.

Brainiac? Metallo? Mongul(lol)? Parasite? Apparently they don't exist.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

fair enough

Also you have no idea how much I hate that Zod is in this fucking movie.

what's your beef with Zod?

I mean I don't think he's been a very good villain thus far but there's precedent for his appearance and I don't think there's anything intrinsic to the character that necessarily means he's shite
    There are only two superman villains Zod and Luthor.

As far as movies are concerned at least.

Brainiac? Metallo? Mongul(lol)? Parasite? Apparently they don't exist.

I'll take Zod over another Luthor appearance. New Superman film spoilers
    Faora makes her big screen debut as a henchwoman for him.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    while despero is cool

I love Darkseid

They already did a live-action 4th World movie in 1987:

M-0013_Masters_of_the_Universe_quad_movie_poster_l.jpg

I think you'll find that was a Gamma World movie

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

How do you do Darkseid without "New Gods baggage"?

That's like doing Superman without "Krypton baggage".
    darkseidchillsout.jpg

also people are constantly telling superman stories that don't rely on kryptonian elements

Crimson King on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    (300) was supposed to be akin to a legend storytellers tell their brethren back in the day to help teach a lesson or motivate troops or whatever.

It wasn't just akin to something storytellers would tell to motivate troops, it was something told to motivate troops. That's how it ends, with the narrator being shown telling the story to motivate troops before the battle of Plataea. Short of falling asleep, there is no way to miss that even within the films own universe, it is still an exaggerated tale told for effect.

I've never understood those complaints.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular

Alright, in the spirit of getting back to a discussion that doesn't include the Viet Cong or the Arachnids (the movie was a great satire), here's a scene from the movie, somewhat parodied.

It really is one of the best scenes, so if you haven't seen the movie, don't look and don't quote me. You'll regret it for the rest of your days.
    No, you really will. Go away and watch the movie yourself before looking here.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

This discussion has been closed.